You teach me and I'll teach you

Marsali; BD June 5

POSTED: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Optime | Backdated: 5 June; Afternoon (+437)
Note for me: training thread, set after this thread

She’d seen Isaac rather quickly after she’d woken up, too afraid to see one of the Medico in fear they might tell her parents of her odd…ailments. Though, she was sure they would have found out soon enough given that Indi had been left in bed to fend for herself. She liked to think she was sorry for leaving her sister vulnerable as she was, but, deep down, she knew she blamed Indi for the pounding headache she’d woken up with. Hopefully, their father would find her and not their mother. She cringed at the thought. Their mother would probably be pissed. It had been some luck that she’d woken up when she had, and she thanked her lucky stars for being an early riser. The princess had staggered to the siblings’ bedroom window and snuck out that way, not wanting to risk the possibility of running into Lyris by going through the front door.

After a bit of infuriating teasing, the butcher had helped the grouchy teen sober up. She’d thanked him for his kindness—even if she had to suffer through his stupid jokes to receive it though—and had been on her way. The majority of her morning had been wasted trying to recover from her hangover, and with it gone, the Lotta was eager to do something productive with what remained of the day.

With the Summit still in full swing, Teagan decided it best to do something that kept her out of the way of the foreign delegates. After a quick stop by the armory to pick up a short sword, the Stryder made her way to the training grounds. Practicing her swordsmanship would keep her out of trouble. As well, after leaving her sister to possibly incur the wrath of one of their parents, Teagan figured she deserved a bit of suffering herself. Training would tire her muscles out, but it would also strengthen them too.

Teagan squared off against the wooden dummy that stood like a scarecrow from its solid post in the ground. There were a few nicks in the wood that told of its abuse against bladed weaponry, and the paint had faded a bit and was missing in places from being assaulted with a blunt object. The Cavalier tested the weight of the sword in her hand before taking up a stance. She took a calming breath as she concentrated on the target before her.

Suddenly, she let out a sharp, “Haaa!” Stepping forward, she struck the dummy with the blade, and audible thunk! resounding as the weapon hit the wood.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 am

OOC: Let's get down to businessss.

IC:
Perhaps it was the fact that she was amongst other outsiders who had come along for the festivities; perhaps it was the knowledge that she was safe, truly safe to be herself, even as one of those outsiders; or perhaps it was seeing Atalanta, the woman who reminded her of her bolder side. Whatever it was, Marsali was slowly inching out of her shell. She no longer felt quite so exposed in her two legged form, and her arms could be seen resting at her sides now, rather than crossed over her fluffy chest. She was catching other canine's eyes and smiling – a true smile, not the paper thin smile she had always forced before. Perhaps, as Fayne had predicted, she was blossoming.

Of course, no smile to a stranger meant that Marsali Amarok was no longer a warrior. Training was very much on her mind still, though she had brought no weapons with her to practice with. The stocky yearling found herself wandering out to Casa's training grounds with an eye to picking up some tips from a more accomplished fighter – and soon enough she heard the triumphant cry which signalled a fighter nearby.

The girl was younger than Marsali, though it seemed she was more at home with the blade in her hand. The AniWayan watched, impassive but for her pricked ears, as the figure moved around the dummy. Marsali often used tree stumps or bags of straw in lieu of a dummy at home, and judging by the wear on it this one had seen quite some use – but it was neither hacked to pieces nor an explosion of hemp and straw after one use like her own home made dummies were.

The pale she-wolf watched and waited for a natural pause in which to offer up a declaration of her presence: a short bark accompanied by a brightening of her eyes in interest.

“Mind if I watch?”

[300+]
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

POSTED: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:57 pm

(+446)
Teagan’s such an awkward turtle right now xD

Her ears twitched as she heard the sound of approaching footsteps. She tried to ignore them at first. Maybe if she pretended to be busy, whoever it was would leave her be and she wouldn’t have to mingle with any of the delegates from the other packs. It wasn’t that she was trying to be rude, no. It was more of, Teagan’s social skills seemed to work far better when Indi was around to act as a buffer. She continued to go through the repetitive motions of swinging the sword, trying to commit the actions to muscle memory.

She was acutely aware that she was being watched, and took a few more swings before she needed to take a breather. It was then that her onlooker struck. The voice was polite, and it was this that allowed them more than a mere glance from the Cavalier. Teagan’s stance relaxed, the sword falling to her side as she partially turned to face her visitor.

They weren’t a Cavalier, that was for sure. It was an older girl, perhaps the same age as her cousins, Marius and Munroe. She had a bulkier build than Teagan, likely a testament to her more mature age as well as her obviously wolf heritage. Her coat was a smooth blend of soft, diluted, almost rosy hues. It was pretty, and the colors were calming to the eye. The stranger’s nose was a strange pink hue rather than the monochrome tints Teagan was used to seeing.

Teagan offered an awkward, small smile as her canary gaze met the other’s golden one. “Uhh…sure?” She shrugged nonchalantly, not knowing what else to say. She couldn’t very well tell her “no,” could she? Her parents would have twisted her ears if she’d been so rude to one of delegates for the Summit! She turned back to what she’d been doing, her previous rhythm thrown off with presence of an onlooker so close by. It was awkward now that she had acknowledged she had an audience. Teagan knew it wasn’t right to just ignore the fact that she was there.

The princess got a few swings in before she stopped, turning sharply to look at the older female. Swallowing, Teagan tried to rid herself of the uneasiness that had woven its way into her muscles. “Do you want to uhh…join me?” There! She could be civil! She flicked the sword in her hand to indicate what she was asking of the other. Teagan shuffled her feet. “I’m Teagan Stryder, by the way,” she introduced, her words more confident than they had been before.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:21 am

OOC: Awkward girl club, woo!

IC:
It quickly became apparent that the AniWayan's presence was off-putting to the younger female. It wasn't that Sali didn't care about being a distraction – and possibly a nuisance. She simply thought that, in the long run, there would be more distractions in battle than a passive observer. Better for the girl to work through the inconvenience now than to end up fighting unaware. Marsali wouldn't have usually cared and might have left her to her training, but she was growing bored of hanging around hoping for a glimpse of Laurentin. She was itching to be active, to learn a new skill.

The canary eyed girl stopped swinging abruptly, and Marsali made an effort to avert her eyes from the sword. She was convinced her stare had been too greedy, too curious, and didn't want the stranger to think she had unsavoury motives. Though the pale yearling was learning, slowly, to be more confident, self-consciousness had reached her, perhaps encouraged by the lack of movement in her body. Movement seemed the easiest way to keep those thoughts at bay.

“Thanks,” she responded with a bob of her head, her thick tail sweeping in an arc. “Marsali Amarok – from AniWaya.”

Stepping forward, her golden eyes were on the blade again, but now they were more uncertain than greedy. It was one thing to watch someone train and quite another to be given a wholly unfamiliar weapon. “I've – uh – never used a sword,” she confessed, her chin jutting forward as if to brace herself for mocking laughter. "I pick things up pretty quickly, though. You don't have to go easy on me."
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

POSTED: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:21 pm

(+520)

Wooo! xDD

The other introduced herself, and her allegiance caused for Teagan’s mismatched ears to prick with interest. “AniWaya?” She repeated curiously. “I think my Aunt Veyra has friends from there,” she revealed, testing to see if the name might spark any familiarity to the Amarok teen. Since Teagan had become an apprentice, she’d learned a bit of her relatives’ predicament regarding New Dawn. Though the details had never been given to any great extent, there had been enough that the Cavalier was aware that the feral pack had splintered off into a variety of places, AniWaya being one of them.

She stepped to the side as Marsali moved forward, her golden gaze upon the weapon in the Cavalier’s hand. The older girl confessed to having never used a blade before, and it was to this that Teagan was somewhat surprised. What did they use to fight with over in AniWaya? She’d heard that the pack was very…different in their ways, but, they were still relatively humanized…weren’t they? Any concern the Stryder might have had about her initial invitation were dashed as she saw the stubborn pride swell up in the pale female.

Teagan smirked, liking the fact that the foreigner wasn’t going to let a small detail keep her back. “I think we’ll get along,” she stated confidently as she moved to retrieve a second sword from one of the racks nearby. When she returned, she held the sword out for Marsali to grasp by the handle.

“Hold it by the handle like me,” she began, indicating to her opposite hand. “This part—” She pointed. “—the guard, it’ll protect your hand from accidentally touching the blade.” The Lotta’s hand moved up to gesture to the bladed part. She placed her palm directly onto the flat edge. “Non-lethal.” She flicked the pad of her thumb across the razor-sharp edge in a way that it didn’t cut her. “Lethal.” She pointed to the end of the sword. “Pointy end. Very lethal.” Most of it, she thought, was common sense, but, she figured she might as well cover the basics.

Teagan stepped aside and nodded to the sword altogether. “Take a few swings and test the weight of it for yourself. If it’s too heavy for you, you can try and use two hands.” As she said it, the Lotta eyed the wolf’s mentioned limbs, trying to judge if they were too large for the handle. She didn’t think they would be—as the weapons were of generic make, which meant they had to accommodate a male’s large hands—but, if they were, that meant she’d likely have to find some sort of alternative if the blade did prove to be too heavy for the AniWayan.

A thought came to her suddenly, and Teagan added. “And make sure the guard stays like this, not like this.” She gestured with her own sword. “Otherwise, the air resistance on the flat side of the sword will make it harder to swing and the sword will be ineffective.”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:37 pm

OOC: Sorry for the wait!

IC:
The mention of Veyra made the AniWayan's sand-dusted ears prick, her head tilting slightly. A smile crept across her face. “I was just a pup when I knew Veyra.” She didn't make mention of New Dawn specifically, for she didn't want to see the look of sympathy so many offered her when she spoke of her former pack, but perhaps Teagan would connect the dots.

Her smile brightened and widened into a fully fledged grin when the girl remarked that they would get along. “I think so,” she agreed, her thick tail sweeping once from side to side. Her grin faded then, so that she could concentrate on learning from the other female.

Grasping the handle was easy enough, but Marsali knew better than to start slashing at the air. Chances were if she did that then she would only end up injuring something, be it dummy or training partner. That wouldn't be a good impression to make on Casa, so she held the sword obediently as shown and listened as Teagan explained its use.

The thickly built Amarok girl committed the parts of the sword to memory and repeated after Teagan in a sure voice: “Non-lethal. Lethal. Pointy end very lethal. Got it.”

Now was the moment to slash at the air, and Marsali applied both hands to give her more control. The sword wasn't too light nor too heavy, though its weight sat differently in Marsali's hands to the spears she was used to wielding in AniWaya. She let the blade cut through the air, careful to remember Teagan's tip about its angle, and then glanced to the girl who had become her impromptu teacher for guidance. “How'd I do? You can tell me if it was crap.” Though Sali was a proud creature, she wouldn't be hurt by constructive criticism; she needed to learn not just how to swing a sword, but how to use one effectively.

[320]
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

POSTED: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 am

(+731)

It’s okay! Hope my assumption for the “correction” was okay? It was the easiest thing I could think of x3

Dropping her aunt’s name had done exactly what she had intended it to do. Her shot in the dark had proven successful, and it appeared the AniWayan before her was, indeed, familiar with Veyra’s name. Tacking on a timeframe had also confirmed Teagan’s wonder if the girl was one of the ones to have escaped New Dawn’s destruction. She was at least six months older than the Cavalier, and it put her at the right age of being a firm member of a pack where she might have known the Damaichu. After all, a random encounter—unless greatly significant—probably wouldn’t have caused the look of warm recognition Marsali gave.

Teagan wagged her tail softly at the shared connection the girls had. “Small world,” she commented with a friendly smirk.

She nodded watched with a careful eye as the AniWayan took up the offered sword and verbally confirmed she knew which parts were which on it before going through some familiarizing swings. Being that Teagan was the “instructor” in their training session, she knew she had to be vigilant of everything her “student” did, particularly, since she was handling a deadly weapon.

The grip on the weapon had to be firm so that it wouldn’t accidentally fly from her hand. Her swings had to be controlled and done away from the body. Her foot work had to be balanced and act as a sturdy base so that her swings did not end with impaling herself on her own sword. There was also the quiet whisper in Teagan’s mind that, even though the girl knew her aunt and the diplomacy summit was to be something of peace, one could never be too careful giving a sword to what could be an enemy…

Everything had to go smoothly.

Marsali took a few testing slashes before turning to Teagan for her advice. The teenager couldn’t help but to chuckle at the older girl’s request. “For someone who’s never held a sword before, you did really well,” she complimented, nodding to Marsali’s dual-hold on the handle. “I guess that you have some training with holding a long weapon?” The girl held it well enough to indicate having some experience with something similar. “Using both hands like that gives you more control, and, in the case of the sword, it’ll help you pack more power behind your swings as well as defend yourself if someone comes at you.”

A pause before she continued. “Widen your feet a little bit so that they’re shoulder-length apart. And when you strike, commit to it and step into the motion. Doing so will give your strikes more power. So, do it like this.” Teagan demonstrated, bringing the sword from over her right shoulder and down so that it stuck out straight in front of her. As she did so, she took a step with her right foot, helping her maintain a sturdy stance. “Standing at a single point and swinging makes your attack only as strong as the strength of your wrist and arm. Moving your body with the act helps concentrate the energy in order to bring out a more powerful strike.”

Teagan moved over to the dummy that she’d been practicing on earlier and tapped it with the end of her own sword. “If you feel confident about its weight and your handle on it, we can try having a swing at Woody over here? He’s got a thing for being beat up.” She smirked humorously at the joke, and, as if to prove her point, she comically poked the wooden training equipment with the end of her sword. “We can start by doing the move I showed you earlier? Moving from your dominate side to your center.” Her canary gaze turned onto Marsali as she stepped back and demonstrated once more for the Aniwayan. “Go slow at first. So you can get used to the weight and feel of your sword hitting something.”

She shuffled back so that Marsali could have a go at the dummy. “Oh! And, make sure your grip is firm too. A weak grasp will either knock the sword out of your hand or you’ll be unable to pull it back out of the wood if you hit it hard enough to cut into it!”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 am

It was a small world indeed. After the collapse of New Dawn, Marsali had known that its members would be scattered to the winds, and part of her had never expected to see any of them again. Though she had all but let her birth pack go now, she would always have a certain kinship with those wolves who had been Dawners – even Veyra, who had intimidated her beyond belief when she'd been a child.

Teagan seemed an honest sort, and her praise of Marsali's swings made the Amarok girl's ears fall back, her face momentarily appearing much younger than she was.

“I've handled spears before,” she confirmed. Her ears lifted again to take in the younger girl's advice and she nodded a show of comprehension. Everything Teagan was saying made sense to Marsali; while daggers were made for quick slashes and stabs, swords were to be used with power and commitment. She watched carefully as Teagan stepped into the swinging motion, and nodded again.

Her gaze shifted to the dummy, nicknamed Woody, and Sali couldn't help a grin surfacing on her sand-dusted muzzle at Teagan's quip. The dummy certainly looked suitably battered and chipped.

The AniWayan readied herself, placing her feet shoulder width apart as instructed and maintaining a strong grip on the weapon. She didn't want to lock her knees since she would need to move, and she eyed the dummy for a moment, ears flicking to take in Teagan's last advice. Nodding again, she raised the sword with both hands and the metal glinted over her shoulder.

The blade came down as Marsali evened out her footing and there was a thunk as it hit the dummy. She could feel the power in the blade, the reverberation as it struck, and it was surprisingly satisfying. For someone who had only recently been averse to her two legged form and thought of weapons as useful, but only necessary in times of war, she was deriving an unexpected amount of enjoyment from learning to use the sword. The knowledge that it count potentially help the tribe in the future was a bonus.

The blow had been powerful, and Marsali had to rotate her hands around the handle in order to heave it from the wood. She peered at the cut which had been left and smirked.

“Poor Woody.”

[392]
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

POSTED: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 am

(+680)

Woo! I got what I needed for it to count for a training thread :D If you have what you need for yours, we can archive this here or with your next post! :3 Also, please ignore my random advice about this sword-ness xD I have never actually used a sword and am simply using logic since my brain is too lazy dead to search the internet and regurgitate, hahahaha

Her mismatched ears flickered with renewed interest in the AniWayan before her. Spears? She’d never had the chance to see one in action. The most she’d ever done with one was hold it and marvel at the reach it had. None of the other Cavaliers seemed to have had an interest or any real expertise in the choice of weaponry. In fact, the only one that came close was her Great Aunt Sophia with her staff. The lacking familiarity the pack had with spears was enough to have the teen consider asking Marsali about them when they were through with the sword training.

In the meantime, Teagan stood back and watched as the foreign female took up a stance, doing well to take in the Cavalier’s advice and pointers. Marsali had a strong, steady stance to her, and Teagan nodded silently but approvingly. She’s a quick learner, the younger girl mused as she watched. With a flash of movement, the AniWayan’s sword arched and bit into the wood of the training dummy.

Teagan smirked wryly at Marsali’s comment, “Oh, he loooves it, trust me!” She laughed. She moved forward to inspect the cut herself, letting two fingers brush across the edges of the fresh nick. It was fairly deep, hinting at the true power that had been within Marsali’s strike. Teagan nodded and turned around. “Very nice. This time, try to maintain a tight control over the power you put into it. If you put so much power into it that you have to wrench your sword out of your opponent’s body every time, you lose momentum as well as valuable seconds in a fight.”

She paused before explaining, wanting to make sure Marsali knew she hadn’t done anything wrong. Teagan simply wanted to add on to what had been taught previously. “You obviously have enough power to effectively stop someone or something in its tracks. It makes you one hell of an opponent. But, let’s say that your opponent is lighter and quicker on their feet. You need to be able to put enough strength into your attack that you keep them on their toes, but, you have to hold enough back that you don’t over exert yourself for little gain.”

The Lotta took up a stance and performed the same movements as was being taught. She struck the dummy hard and deeply, forcing herself to have to readjust her grip and stance in order to heft the blade free. “Though the bear’s paws are powerful, they are slower than the wolf’s fangs. A smaller and quicker enemy will be able to work their way into your guard if you have to fight to free your own weapon.” She freed her sword and took up her stance once again.

“Strike, but don’t do it so heavily that you have to regroup.” This time, when her sword struck the dummy, the sword quickly retracted back, not allowing for the weapon to imbed itself so deeply that Teagan would be forced to readjust her gripping. She struck Woody once more. “By doing this, you allow your weapon to move effortlessly and fluidly, thus giving you the opportunity to adjust your pattern of attack with your second strike.” As the sword was retracted, it smoothly crossed over her body and positioned itself so that she struck from the opposite side. With the second strike, however, she hit the dummy in the fleshy part between its “ribs” and “hip” rather than down from its “shoulder” and down and across.

Teagan repeated the combination strike, but, slower during the second demonstration so that Marsali could study the movements. Once she was finished, she stepped to the side and nodded for the AniWayan to try the new lesson. “Do a few across the torso first so you can gauge how much power you have to use to hurt without losing control of your sword. Once that’s done, try to add in the second attack as a continuation of the first.”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Commoner
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:58 am

OOC: Wrapping up! Thanks for the thread <3

IC:
Despite her youth, Teagan was a thorough teacher and her suggestions made sense to Marsali. Wielding a sword felt very different to hefting a spear or the flicks and stabs of a dagger, but it seemed to be a weapon which needed to be combined with a certain amount of power and Marsali had power in her. Still, she took on board what the Stryder girl was saying about not using so much force that she had to regroup. Her power needed to be collected and channelled appropriately and effectively.

The Amarok girl was largely silent as Teagan directed her, but she was very much present. Her sun gold eyes held a gleam and a clarity which came with focus; her movements were swift and purposeful, and she nodded every now and then to inform Teagan that she was listening. Her mind barely even strayed to thoughts of Laurentin and what he was up to, she was so focused on learning and absorbing the Cavalier's skills. And those skills were far from negligible. Either Teagan really knew what she was talking about or she was a master of faking confidence in her words; Marsali chose to believe the former. After all, the girl had grown up in Casa di Cavalieri, home of warriors and guardians.

More than knowledge and skill, Teagan had a sense of humour which made her likeable as more than just someone to learn swordsmanship from. When Marsali wasn't pouring all her focus into learning the combinations Teagan set out for her, she thought she would like to see the lemon-eyed girl again just to talk and laugh. She tucked that thought away for now, though – there was always a chance that Teagan wasn't as intrigued by Marsali as the Amarok girl was by her.

By the time Marsali had been put through her paces, she was feeling a lot more comfortable with the sword. The same couldn't be said for Woody, who was sporting at least a dozen new chips and chinks in his wooden torso.

“I shouldn't take up any more of your time,” Marsali told Teagan. “Thank you for the lesson – you're a great teacher. If you ever want to learn about fighting in Lupus or hunting with spears, stop by AniWaya.” She smiled as she handed the weapon back and turned to leave with a slew of new tactics in her mind.

[300+]
MARSALIAMAROK
Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)
Rat
Luperci Mate to Talon

Dead Topics