Who is the lamb and who is the knife?

POSTED: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:06 am

[ 300+ ] » Anyone welcome! Daytime (vague), in a jewelry store in Halifax. Marked mature for future language. It'd be cool if someone came along and tried to rob her ~ but I'm open to anything else too! :) Backdated to 6/13

Deft hands picked through the trash left over in the city shops; hands that once notched an arrow, hands that once yielded a blade so freely. Now, they clutched a stolen dagger and a leather bag taken from her master. Now they rummaged quickly through the trash of Halifax’s finest district looking for anything of value, all the while she had her mother’s jewelry in mind. None of which she had on her person - which she should have.

As a slave, as someone’s property, she had no choice but to give it all up.

Well, no - she had a choice. She always had a choice. But when the choice was that or death, Szenne chose the route that could have different possibilities later. Death was final; she knew that much.

There was a pile of what she wanted to believe were precious stones; ones she dug from the dusted corners, between cobwebbed countertops, table legs, and plaster pieces. Either they were precious stones, or they were pretty pieces of glass and plaster - maybe it was glass and plaster fused together. She poked at one of them with a nail, scratching its surface curiously, turning it over in her palm, questioning its origin. But she wouldn't be able to tell. She'd have to take them to someone who knew what they were looking at. She dumped them all in the leather bag, and then stepped outside and looked at the faded sign again. The lettering was unfamiliar to her - she couldn’t read - but the drawing of a necklace was as clear as day to her. The cases seemed to be like the ones they had seen in varying other jewelry stores across the country as well.

Szenne stepped back inside and scanned the cases, wondering if she had been searching for the wrong thing in the wrong place.

Last edited by Szenne on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 am

OOC: Hey. Well, he's no robber, but seeing that there hasn't been any replies...this is what I got.

322 words.

IC:

Not even he knew how long he had been wandering about. Leaving the relative safety of Inferni at one time, would've seemed like a risk he would never take. A young hybrid such as himself, out in the world, shuffling along down the forgotten streets of Halifax. But the young man had matured, enough to take care of himself; at least periodically. Dilapidated buildings lined the street on both sides; some -- from the looks of things -- inaccessible, and of course, utterly mute. As if someone had forcedly pushed “pause” on man, and had chanced upon “play” for canines.

Tan ears were going about their business, scanning from coast-to-ravaged-coast for anything that dare move. Such action replaced his smell nowadays, seeing that his condition hadn't improved. Chronic, as it were.

His listening was suddenly stopped by the sight of a luperci in the distance. The figure halted itself, just outside the remains of a store of some kind. Virue made extra care to avoid broken glass as he crept towards the shop -- the figure now, back inside. The last thing he needed was an injured foot if his quarry were to become hostile. He edged towards the building quietly, ears lowered, peering into the long-shattered windows to get a closer look.

A wolf -- or so he discerned. She looked deep in thought. He couldn't tell what pack she might be from -- due to his lack of smell. Blue eyes widened as he watched, stepping closer. His front paw caught itself on a large piece of glass, which slid and cracked underneath the appendage. A puddle of blood oozed from the small paw as a resulting “Damn,” made it's way to audit.
gotta gotta be down because I want it all

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:02 am

[ 300+ ] » no problem! Thanks for joining :D

When Szenne went back in the store, she continued to rummage through the dusty shelves and the dusty floors underneath them. She found a few pieces of shiny rocks in which she dropped in her bag as well. She’d have those checked. But before she could get any further into searching, the smell of another drifted into the store on the wind, and then a faint crunch of glass, and a mumble. She peered out the storefront window to see a hybrid outside with a bloody paw. Poor bastard.

Szenne strode to the front of the store, and leaned in the doorway, looking down at the feral-looking creature. She gripped a dagger in one hand because she knew how tough the streets were. She knew how tough it was to be a loner, after all.

”Ya know it’s not nice to sneak up on a lady,” she warned. One whiff of the air told her that he was not a Luperci. His feral scent was thicker than those with two legs. ”Shouldn’t ya be scourin' the woods or somethin'? Ya have no business in these cities.”

She was not nice. Szenne didn’t sugarcoat anything. She was bitter with life, and it showed on her and through her actions and words. She looked down on the feral creature beneath her – his position, his injury. This made her superior to him, if not in her head than physically. And this was probably the only form of superiority Szenne would have over anyone in a long time.

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:09 pm

OOC: Gonna start slow here.

429 words

IC:

How careless could he have been? And he dared call himself a scout. His first mistake was evident as the wolf’s nose twitched; a sign that indicated his scent had been caught, downwind. Then he was careless enough to allow his paw to be slit on the glass. But his naive curiosity had gotten the best of him.

The woman approached and Virue contemplated running. It was his best option; but how could he, with one leg withdrawn from the ground and held awkwardly. In addition, he was still surrounded by broken glass; if he did run, he could risk a second injury. His only defense out here was his speed, but that had been taken from him, with alarming ease.

He heard her speak, and brown ears dropped as they so-regularly did. "I-I uh,” he stuttered out, blinking as words failed to form. He had been insulted, although he wasn't in a position to complain, the words still stung. All at once he realized that she knew he couldn't shift -- she had found the tell-tale signs in his scent. “I came out here to see where the humans used to live. I know I don't have two legs, but am I not entitled to -- if not equality, some respect?” He said sorely, regaining his composure, although it was evident that he was hurt.

He knew what others may have thought about him, but this was the first time he had been addressed head-on; like he was inferior. Wounded now, both emotionally and physically, and frightened beyond measure. Virue looked up at this mystery figure. There was two types of people in this world -- or so Virue figured -- givers and takers. Which was she? Would she take his life in this forgotten landscape?

He noticed he was still surrounded by an assortment of fragmented glass. Carefully, the Sciens limped to the side, taking extra care to pace himself; so it didn't appear as though he was making a run for it. “You know,” he began as he hobbled. “I have feelings.” He reached the edge of the debris. “My name's Virue, so you know who's life you have here." Several moments passed, his eyes moving from the dagger, to the ominous blood pooling at his feet. "So what next? Is that blade going to be made of any use?” He was forthright, his eyes levelling with her’s. He was afraid, it was obvious, but he wasn't going to cower in what could be his last moments.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:14 am

[ 300+ ] » :D

Of course, who was Szenne to say who did or didn’t belong? She didn’t belong here either, if she were to get into the reasoning. She belonged in the woods just as much as the feral creature before her. Still, though, she wouldn’t admit that, of course. She thought he was pathetic, and that was what she was going with.

”There’s nothin’ to gawk at in these ruins,” she scoffed, ignoring his request for respect. She picked at the blade’s handle lazily, while her green eyes scanned over the Hybrid. Did he really deserve her respect? Right now, it seemed like he didn't. He was useless, and Szenne didn't respect anyone that was a waste of flesh. He was a feral, and that in itself already reflected ignorance. A feral had no business in the ancient cities. There was no food, nothing to chase. Ferals didn't collect things for trade or supplies for crafting.

Szenne was not one to ask for equality or respect, ever. She received neither from anyone in her current situation, and was too proud to ask them for it. Because of this, naturally, she seemed to not want to offer either of those to any outside sources – afraid she’d lose what little she had to begin with.

”Are ya gonna cause me any trouble?” she echoed, once again avoiding the question. If the coyote hybrid called Virue didn’t try any funny business, Szenne wouldn’t need to use the blade. However, she couldn’t be so sure. He would tell her that he was only there exploring and that he had no intention of taking her possessions, but the next thing she would know, he’d get her from behind and take her bad, leaving her with nothing. She knew how that worked.

Still, the blood pooling at his feet made her uncomfortable. She knew she could easily help him, but did she really want to? ”Ya came to this city unprepared, and now look at where it’s gotten ya,” she said nodding down to the small, red puddle forming underneath his paw.

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:16 pm

OOC: Hey look, it's the correct account. Hold your applause please, I know it's difficult not to praise me at this time.

517 words -- Whew, sometimes it comes so easy, other times it's like pulling a sliver...

IC:

The small coyote disagreed, there was plenty to see. He realized now that he had to be assertive; even though he rarely acted that way. He couldn't leave, not like that, and surely her mocking would continue. He was going to try and stand up for himself. “Oh, but there's plenty to see. Take the building you're standing in, it was built from the ground up. I don't even know half the materials that were put into it, nevertheless, it still stands today.” He smiled, his eyes lighting with passion. Virue adjusted his footing, leaning on his back paws as his functional, front one became sore. His azure eyes caught a glimpse of her emerald ones. She seemed independent, fierce, but something made her appear panicked, almost trapped. What an odd luperci he had stumbled across.

He knew now where his father was coming from; all that talk of how he hated luperci. It was because they hated him. Virue was a creature of empathy; he denounced hate, and all it stood for. He didn't hate this woman now, even though she was clearly mistreating him.

His mouth did open in surprise as she asked a serious question. His eyes dropped to his foot, and then over to her bag. He had an idea of what “trouble” he could cause. “Mmmm, so I guess that would be a reason to ‘scour’ around here, wouldn't it?” Virue raised an eyebrow as he shifted his stance, wincing in the process. “To steal your bag?” He shook his head, shameful of what others were capable of doing. In the back of his mind, he was wondering why there was so much distrust amongst people. “I can't steal your stuff; I'm minus a leg here. I can't attack you either. And why would I want to anyway??” He didn't understand the need to constantly take things from others. For what, personal gain? He saw no point of it, he was happy with what he already had. He also found it vexing that she thought he didn't belong there for peaceful reasons, yet to her, he could be there to steal from her. What a discriminatory way of thinking.

Although the sight of his blood was unnerving, he took it as a small sign he was still alive and well. Although, it would have to be kept inside his body for him to keep it that way. “You wanna know something? I'm glad I came.” Virue said this due to his positive outlook, that and he believed everything happened for a reason. He paused, deep in thought now. “Listen, I might have to find some leaves or something to clot this cut before I pass out. I apologize for spying, really, I was just curious.” He tried reasoning. The cut wasn't large enough to make him faint, and it would probably naturally clot, but he didn't know that. His eyes flashed over the blood that stained the glass. The red liquid had congealed, indicating significant time had passed.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:29 am

Despite the difficulty that she had been giving him, the feral mutt still kept his positive attitude. It was something that Szenne had never been able to do during her period of servitude. There had never been anything to look up to. Lukos had taken everything she held dear to her, and Anathema had taken her rights. Legally, she couldn’t cut Lukos’ throat in the middle of the night and find her mother’s jewelry in his room somewhere because they’d hunt her down and kill her, probably. There were a lot of things tying her hands, keeping her from what she really wanted to do.

”Ya poor bastard,” she chuckled, pale green eyes dipping to his bloody paw. She pitied him, and at the same time, admired his positive outlook on virtually everything.

Szenne kneeled before him, keeping her backpack firm on her shoulder, in between her body and the rotted, wooden doorframe. She brought the dagger up and turned it in her hands between them. ”Give me ya paw,” she requested. Though before putting the dagger away, she pointed the pointy end towards Virue’s face slightly. ”But if ya try anythin’, this dagger will find its way into one of ya other good legs, and I promise I’ll kill ya slowly.”

She turned the dagger one more time, so that the light reflected off of it into his face before she tucked it into her belt. ”Now then, ya sorry creature. Give me the paw,” she said, holding out her hand to grab him at his wrist.

[ 000 ] ⇝ sorry for the crappy wait!

Dawnthieves | Seeb-san, Sirius-sdz, Jane-Beata | Table by Sammiie

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:28 pm

It bugs me to put out short posts, but I'm getting ones where you have to react to what another character is doing. I guess it's fine :/ [277]

The scout had never been cut this way on his paw before. This was only his second encounter with glass, but with inexperience, comes misfortune. His foot was starting to throb periodically, and it was clear he wouldn't be leaving without help. He decided to do as she asked.

Virue thought about asking a question before he surrendered his paw, but he realized he wasn't exactly in a position of leverage. This thought was reinforced when Szenne flashed her dagger in the boy's face. His eyes dragged across the street and the glinting shards strewn across it. Then, he looked up at Szenne’s face with resolve -- eye-to-eye. "If you don't trust me, how can I trust you?" He said, pausing to let the question take hold. Oddly enough, he proceeded to place his paw in Szenne’s waiting hand, breaking the silence. Virue never took his eyes away. Something was making her this way, she was scared of something, but what? “You wanna know why I did that? Because I can tell you're a good person, and for some reason, you're having trouble trusting people similar to yourself.” He always saw the good in people; past knives, toughness and overall rudeness. If it was there, you bet Virue's patience and good will would try to flush it out. Finally, he released Szenne’s face from his stare. “If you can help me, I'll help you with whatever you're trying to do here.” He added. He only thought it was fair, and whatever it was; Virue wanted to help. It was how he was raised.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:53 am

The hybrid’s positive thinking was starting to get on Szenne’s nerves. Here was a feral, proclaiming he knew everything about everyone. Just because he was an observer didn’t mean that he knew her or anyone like her. Pale green eyes bore into his blues, unwavering. She was sure at some point today, she’d need to either chase him off or mess up one of his good legs. If not for hostility, then for just being a royal annoyance.

”Ya don’t know anythin’ about me,” Szenne grumbled, turning over his paw and using her nails to retrieve the decent-sized shard from his palm. She took the bloodstained piece out and threw it aside, and then allowed him to take his paw back. ”I have no bandages, so you’ll have to lick it clean.”

Then she stood, turning away from him to disappear back into the store. From inside, she called over her shoulder, ”And I don’t need ya help. Get out of here before ya hurt yaself again.”

A wise wolf, or whatever he was, would have listened. However, Virue… she wasn’t so sure she’d be able to get rid of him that easily.

[ 000 ] ⇝ your post wasn't as nearly as short as mine! Still gave me enough to work with, though :)

Dawnthieves | Seeb-san, Sirius-sdz, Jane-Beata | Table by Sammiie

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:19 am

No, no Szenne. Virue is staying. Hee hee. [339]

“Why haven't you killed me yet then? Because you're a bad person?” He retorted. Virue didn't know why he was doing this; maybe out of naive foolishness. But this wolf had intrigued him beyond measure. He watched as the shard was removed, wincing as Szenne pulled the glass out haphazardly. Quietly, he began licking away the excess blood, and any dirt that remained. He then looked up, only to see that Szenne had walked away.

Life had taught the boy many things; don't mess with those who can do you harm was a sure note on the list. But Virue had always been persistent. Not always confident, but strong-willed all the same. He wasn't giving up until his ever-present curiosity had been satisfied. He really wanted to help this woman. He just needed to be pointed in the right direction -- to be given orders. Then he could feel at rest. Virue was determined he would assist the distraught female; in any way possible. He watched with intent.

He remained silent, sitting in the doorway like an obedient pet, eyeing the legacy of man, in the form of old peeling paint on the door frame. The young coyote remained there faithfully, quietly observing Szenne in the shop. He couldn't promise he wouldn't hurt himself again -- he did it a lot -- but he didn't want to leave, not now. A small breath escaped his nostrils as his ears raised. “So, are you from a pack?” He had to ask. The scout always felt out of place, asking such a question; others could simply tell what pack another canine hailed from using smell. He wasn't lucky enough to be such an average canine. He had been born without a sense of smell. Maybe it served a purpose, or maybe his skills laid elsewhere -- maybe not. Either way, he readied himself for the insult sure to come if the woman would put two-and-two together, and realize he had a disability.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

Dead Topics