Steel on Steel

Indi

POSTED: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Teagan Stryder
Optime | Fore-dated: June 24th, Mid-morning
LET’S DO THIS THING, or at least let’s try xD
WORD COUNT

After she’d finished her morning chores and had some time with Agrona, the Lotta had gone to the armory to grab the short sword she’d been using tirelessly as of late. She knew the balance of the weapon, how it handled. It’d be perfect for a good, friendly spar. It’d been a while since she and Indi had done so. They’d been so busy with other things that, when they were together, sparring had been the farthest thing from their mind.

Teagan sought to remedy this today though. She’d done plenty of training on her own, either with another Luperci or, truly, by herself. It was time to see how well her sibling’s training gone, as well as to see where her expertise matched up with Indi’s. Plus, she wanted to see how Indi used her new weapon. She’d heard that their aunt had been crafting something for the young Knight, and, while the weapon had been finished the day before, the sister had wanted to hold off its unveiling until today. Needless to say, Teagan was eager to see what her sister had chosen for a weapon of choice.

She’d made her way to the sisters’ secret meeting place in the nearby woods. The forest was thick around the good-sized clearing, giving the area a feel of being secluded form the rest of the world. The trees that surrounded the clearing provided the perfect amount of dappled shade and sunlight, and the stream that trickled near the location allowed for a refreshing water source as well as an added bonus to play in if the two sisters felt up to it. The Stryder-Knight tag team had even managed to move a few logs in places to act as benches should the two require more than the ground to sit on. It was a perfect get away.

Now, all she had to do was wait for Indi to get there without anybody seeing her.

Teagan moved over to one of the logs and sat down, resting her elbows on her knees as she lazily hunched over. The sword she’d brought was propped up against her shoulder.

Template by Andi || Image: EdgedFeather
Last edited by Teagan Stryder on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:15 pm

INDI KNIGHT
[ 370 ]

I LOVE this new table! <3

Indi was brimming with excitement, and it was all she could so to keep quiet as she stole away through the fort’s gates and disappeared into the surrounding forest. Ever since Auntie Grynn had finished making her spear Indi had been guarding the weapon - currently snug in a wrap of leather and carried under her arm - jealously from prying eyes while she had been adding her own personal touches to the excellent weapon that Grynn had created. Even Tea had been chased away when she had tried to peek at Indi’s baby before she was ready to unveil it.

The trail that Indi was thin and almost invisible, winding through some of the thickest forest to the point where it barely existed at many points, but Indi breezed through it without even paying any attention. This was a trail that she had walked many times, first forged when she and Teagan were so small - and stuck in Lupus form - that they hadn’t even needed to move most of the bushes aside. With her body going through motions it had long since memorised, Indi’s mind was busy bouncing around the inside of her skull.

Eventually she arrived at the clearing that the sisters had long ago claimed as their own, to the welcome sight of Teagan already sitting on one of the logs waiting for her. Indi’s sister was looking the other way as she came into view, and rather than call out to her, Indi quietly slipped away into the undergrowth. Using every ounce of stealth that Lyris had managed to impart unto her - which was quite a lot, once she had matured enough to stop tripping over her own feet Indi had become very coordinated and well suited to stealth - Indi moved silently through the trees, making a ring around the clearing so that she was behind and downwind of Teagan. Grinning to herself, Indi prowled forwards with the still leather-wrapped spear held out before her, oh-so-slowly coming up behind her sister. When she had gotten as close as she dared Indi paused, fought down one last snicker, and jabbed the spear - end safely blunted by the leather wrapping - at Teagan’s backside.

Template: Hilli / Andi || Table: Songbird

POSTED: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Teagan Stryder
WORD COUNT

She’d waited for a little while, but, not too terribly long. The summer musical of birdsong, insects, and trickling water filled her ears. It was a peaceful tune, and the din was repetitive enough that it could have been white noise. The appearance of a songbird chasing after a bug had distracted her from her sister’s initial approach. Though, the faint rustle of foliage had almost given the Knight away. Teagan had snapped her head back, but, by that time, Indi had already disappeared. Teagan glared suspiciously about the area.

When she didn’t find any signs of a visitor or being watched, she—slowly—went back to mindlessly staring at the bird as it fluttered about. It performed a variety of twists and turns as it tried to catch its tricky quarry. It was a determined little bird, concentrated solely on the bug that continued to evade it. Still, as Teagan watched the avian flit about, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was being watched.

And her instincts would have been right.

Just as the bird managed to successfully catch the bug, Teagan felt a sudden and startling shove into her backside. The teenager sprang to her feet, catching the sword in her hand and preparing to release it from its sheath as she turned on her heel. She was met with the site of her devious sister, and Teagan couldn’t help the laughter that bubbled up from her gut. “Finally out of bed I see!” She teased, knowing of her sister’s bad habit of sleeping in. Her hands fell from their defensive stance as she reached back to give a humorous rub to the area Indi had jabbed. “And you’ve gotten better at sneaking.”

Her canary eyes moved to the long, wrapped item in her sister’s grasp. “Is that it? Is that the thing Auntie Grynn was making for you?” It had to be. Teagan had never seen Indi carry around something like it before. “Come on, lemme see!” She grinned widely, a hand motioning for Indi to unwrap it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

INDI KNIGHT
[ 540 ]

ooc text

“I’m not that bad!” Indi protested with a laugh of her own as Teagan darted to her feet, playfully jabbing the spear in the air at her sister a few more times, “I was up… not that much later than the sun today. Just a few hours her voice abruptly dropped off into a cough. It wasn’t her fault that the bed always magically made itself twice as comfortable overnight! Abruptly, Indi let out a loud, barking laugh and darted forwards, breezing past Teagan and spinning into the centre of the clearing.

Teagan gestured down at Indi’s leather-wrapped package and she grinned knowingly. “Yep it is!” she confirmed proudly, holding it up for inspection. Indi was too excited herself to even tease Teagan with the unveiling, and instead eagerly unwrapped the spear.

In a pack that relied as much on weaponry as Casa di Cavalieri did, a skilled smith was a must. Indi had known that Grynn was good when she went to her, but in her opinion her aunt had outdone herself; definitely worth all the grubbing around in Windsor to find her present. The spear was shorter than Indi’s old one, coming to a couple inches taller than Indi herself when planted into the ground beside her. The haft was slightly thicker than standard so that it could be used to block blows or strike with itself, made of a dark wood varnished and polished to a dark-red finish so sleek that Indi would have been loathe to actually use it in combat if she didn’t know that five identical hafts were hanging on Grynn’s wall; it was the metalwork that was the hard part of making a spear, she had been informed.

The business end of the spear was a long, wide blade that gleamed as only a virgin, freshly forged blade could. It was halfway between a regular spear and a short-sword on a stick, and it could be detached from the haft and used as the latter in a pinch. The opposite end was encased in a heavy sleeve of metal to provide a counterbalance and a weight for blunt strikes. The endcap tapered to a point that wasn’t quite sharp - intended more for piercing the dirt to brace the spear if necessary - but could probably break the skin in a pinch.

“Ta-da!” Indi exclaimed, holding the spear up for Teagan to see. Aunt Grynn had taken the old image that Indi had found in the book and brought it to life, and then Indi had spent the time since adding her own touches. Both sides of the blade had a symbol etched neatly into them. One side sported mom’s Stryder symbol, and the other the celtic knot that had represented Casa for so long; as close to a Knight symbol as Indi could find judging the role their family had in founding the pack. For the finishing touch she had found a shock of scarlet fabric - matching her new earring in colour - and wound it tightly where the blade met the haft so that a small length of it fluttered when she spun the spear, which she did several times to show it off. “Whadda ya think?”

POSTED: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Teagan Stryder
WORD COUNT

Teagan giggled as she evaded the harmless jabs thrown in her direction. “You are too!” She shot back, evading another jab. When Indi’s voice faded with an inconspicuous cough, the Lotta took the opportunity to make another childish jest. Today!” She emphasized loudly, deflecting the long object with a palm. Indi suddenly moved towards her, causing Teagan to quickly sidestep to avoid any hits the sister might have planned with the move.

It appeared her dodge wasn’t necessary though, as the Guarire moved to simply stand in the center of the area. Teagan eagerly moved after Indi as the teen began to unfasten the protective leather wrappings from around her prize. What was revealed was a definitely worth the wait. It was a spear, and a beautifully crafted one at that. It fit Indi, Teagan decided as her canary eyes roved over the presented weapon. There were intricate little details and designs that personalized the spear to someone who had an affinity for things that pleased the eye.

When her eyes came down to the engraved details on the blade, Teagan glanced up at Indi. “Did you make these too?” She recognized them as the Stryder family symbol as well as the Celtic knot that she’d seen carved here and there around the Fort. When Indi spun the weapon to make the end of the scarlet fabric moved, Teagan stepped back and smirked.

She unsheathed her sword and threw the scabbard off the side so it was out of the way. “It’s pretty, but, let’s see if it’s all show,” she invited challengingly. She’d refrained from speaking her true awe in the handiwork that had been put into the spear, but, the respect she had for the weapon’s beauty had shown clearly in her canary eyes.

Teagan twirled the sword by the handle tauntingly.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 pm

INDI KNIGHT
[ 500 ]

ooc text

Indi preened proudly as her sister looked over the spear, leaning it against her shoulder. “Yep!” she confirmed brightly. Indi had spent most of the evening yesterday carefully etching the symbols into the spearhead’s surface. Hardly the most time-consuming part of the project considering all that Grynn had done, but Indi was proud of how neat she had gotten them. They were a little bit of herself but into the blade, a stamp of ownership.

Her sun-bright smile quickly morphed into a challenging grin as Teagan called her out, drawing her sword. For a moment Indi gulped, eyes drifting over the sharp edges of both their weapons uncertainly. She’d never sparred with anything other than a training weapon before, blunted wood to sharpened steel was a big leap. She trusted that her sister wouldn’t hurt her though, in truth most of Indi’s apprehension came from worry that she would accidentally hurt Teagan; Indi knew that her sister was a more skilled fighter, but a stab was still a stab no matter how lucky the blow had been. Depsite looking superficially similar, Indi’s new weapon was miles apart from her old spear. The whole point of the extended blade and shortened haft was that it could be used to cut as much as stab. It was a much more acrobatic fighting style, very impressive looking from the pictures but still, very different, and Indi was stuck trying to teach herself the bits that deviated from standard spearplay from the book’s pictures. She had spent some time practising with a quarterstaff after commissioning the weapon from Grynn, but she still felt a lot less confident than she looked as she took the weapon in a ready grasp and placed the pointy end firmly between her and Teagan.

She kept up with the bluster though, as much to comfort herself as for Teagan’s benefit. “Let’s find out, I owe you a couple of bruises for ditching me!” she said with a feral grin, holding her weapon ready. Ironically enough, considering that Indi had originally chosen the spear because it weighed less, Indi probably had the heavier weapon between them once the endcap and thick haft were taken into account. It was distributed better though, and while she kept her slim figure Indi had gained some noticeable muscle definition recently, so she handled the weapon smoothly as she stared Teagan down.

Suddenly, with as little warning as she could telegraph, Indi darted forwards with a jab. She purposefully aimed the blow wide to the left, as though she had lost her nerve at the last minute, but then as the spear drew level with Teagan she shifted her weight and turned it from a stab into a slash aimed at Teagan’s side. Even as she struck, Indi was moving; feet skidding across the sandy surface as she tried to mimic the same movement Lyris had used against her and get around to Teagan’s back.

POSTED: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Teagan Stryder
Cue Songbird not knowing what the hell she’s doing and pulling moves out of her ass xD Also, if my moves don’t make sense, tell me. I’m SUPER rusty with fighting like this, and might have visualized something wrong!
WORD COUNT

She had seen the flicker of doubt in Indi’s sapphire eyes. If she’d been their mother, she might have had something clever and motivating to say to bring the confidence back to them. In the moment though, such supportive language failed to form on her tongue. She’d sparred with real, dangerous weaponry before, but, seeing that fleeting glimmer in her sister’s eyes, she couldn’t help but to wonder if Indi had been allowed the same.

It didn’t matter. Indi shifted the spear into her hands, ready to fight, and Teagan nodded firmly. If she hasn’t done it before, she’ll do it today, the Stryder reasoned. The thought that it might have been better for Indi to have her first, lethal session with an adult crossed her mind, but was quickly buried as Indi verbally accepted Teagan’s challenge. The Guarire struck first, thrusting her spear to Teagan’s unprotected left side. Perceptive. In the back of her mind, the teen noted that perhaps she should invest in some time with a shield as well.

“I didn’t—” she began to retort as she was forced to parry the blade of the spear in order to keep it from slicing her side, “—ditch you!”

She pushed the blade away from her, carefully noting the slight shift in her sister’s fluid motions of her form. “I tried to get you up!” It was a lie. She’d felt grumpily vengeful that morning when she’d woken up with a splitting headache from their nightly activities.

“It’s not my fault—” She stepped beneath the range of the spear, knowing that it would put Indi on the defensive since her weapon had a longer reach than Teagan’s. “—that Mom found you sleeping in like always!” Teagan brought the sword forward in a quick thrust like Indi had initially done, aiming for her sister’s right thigh.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:01 pm

INDI KNIGHT
[ 260]

ooc text

There was something oddly exhilarating about sparring with naked blades like this. It had the same alluring tinge of the dangerous and forbidden that had pulled Indi towards the whiskey, and sent her roaming so far out near the borders. Despite how badly those occasions had turned out, Indi could neither stop herself enjoying that thrill so much, or from seeking out more.

“Whatever-” she flicked her spear up towards Teagan’s face as her sister pushed it away, missing by a mile with the blade itself but hopefully slowing her down, “-you say sis.” Indi’s panting tone showed her disbelief clearly, though also that she held no true grudge. She would, of course, repay the favour when the opportunity arose for her to ditch Teagan in some non-dangerous way, but it would take more than that to actually make her angry with her sister.

Indi yelped and darted back as Teagan pressed forwards, getting inside her spears range in exactly the type of move that had shied her away from a full length spear. This was one of the reasons that Indi had switched though, and her hands shifted on the spears haft, sliding farther up the middle until she was holding it more like a quarterstaff than a spear. Then she spun it, pushing Teagan’s sword upwards and away with the haft near the tassel, and then used the momentum to send the weighted endcap whistling towards her sister’s ribs.

POSTED: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Teagan Stryder
WORD COUNT

Teagan made an appalled sound, as if offended that Indi didn’t believe her. “It’s the truth!” She insisted with a laugh, her head instinctively ducking back as the spear’s blade suddenly ran along the length of her sword and up towards her face. I hope she’s not seriously angry. Though it hadn’t been in her tone, Teagan was not naïve enough to believe that Indi couldn’t have a grudge. From what she’d heard, Lyris’ training session had been…rough for the hungover sibling.

The Lotta’s maneuver had gotten her where she wanted her. Expectantly, Indi went from offensive to defensive, but, what she hadn’t expected was for Indi to change her grip on her spear. The koi-colored sibling had effectively removed herself from the close-range combat, and had twisted her weapon in a way that deflected Teagan’s strike in one moment and poised to offer a counter the next.

Concentrating on not losing her only weapon from her hand, she was forced to take the blow aimed at her ribs. The sharpness of the action rocked the teenager, and she let out a grunt as the blunt end sent a shockwave up and down her body. As she was forced to bend to absorb the brunt of the attack, her sword swung down and to meet the haft of the spear to, once more, shove it away from her. She put some force behind the action, hoping that it’d jar Indi’s hold on it as much as she’d just jarred Teagan’s ribs. Most importantly though, she wanted to keep Indi from making another attack before she was ready.

Teagan took a few steps back to allow her a second to regain her breath. “I’ll definitely feel that one in the morning,” she said with a shallow laugh.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:00 pm

INDI KNIGHT
[ 350]

ooc text

Indi’s triumphant bark as her spear hit Teagan’s side with a solid thump, turned into a yelp as her sister’s counterstrike swung towards her with terrifying force. Indi pushed the spear’s haft up to meet it, the impact numbing her wrists and pushing her backwards away from Teagan, who matched the movement with some steps back of her own.

“That’s one less I owe you then,” Indi grinned ferally, pacing around and beginning to circle Teagan from a distance. She was surprised to find that she was enjoying herself here. Even now that she knew how important it was to keep up with it, Indi still found combat practise a chore for the most part; running through forms and strength training was dreadfully dull, and most Cavaliers were so far above her in skill that sparring was just frustrating. Aside from right now, the only spar that Indi could honestly say she had enjoyed in recent memory was the one with Howland, and that was because she had been more preoccupied with checking him out than her fighting. This fight with Teagan though, got her blood pumping and had her laughing at the same time.

Indi’s speed was her best weapon against Teagan, she knew that. Teagan could build up a good speed once she got going Indi knew but, she had always been faster and, more importantly, she was much faster off the line, a sprinter by nature. Using that speed now Indi darted to one side, feinting as though she were trying to get round Teagan’s back, then changed direction with a skid that send dirt spraying into the air and jabbed at Teagan four times, quick light strikes aimed high at her head and torso. The silk around her spear flapped and waved in Teagan’s face, revealing its true purpose. The idea hadn't been one that Indi had done purely for decorative reasons but one that she had stolen from another weapon, the loose and brightly coloured fabric intended to distract Teagan away from the incoming strikes.

Last edited by Indi Knight on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Topics