[M] Run to a brand new sun

Birth thread! Milos + others

POSTED: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:10 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

OOC: Milos post first please! Then famileee (Willow I'm looking atchu). Others can join once the babas are born.
Set in the middle of the night because jeez Eliza has to be awkward.
M for language and birthy things!

IC:
Lilac swirled in a navy night sky, threading between stars and flowing around a fat, pale moon. Somewhere in the forests of Krokar an owl hooted, and in one of Fiskebyn's squat cottages a woman was still awake.

The night was too balmy for Eliza to have found the relief of sleep, and even the comfort of Milos' body next to her hadn't helped. Slumber was doing an excellent job of eluding her: she had paced and grumbled; she had tried counting her breaths and counting caribou in her head; she had nibbled on dried meat and splashed cool water on her face, but nothing was working.

The dog sighed as she plonked herself in the ugly armchair she so adored and looked down at the swollen belly she adored even more. Already, Liz loved the lives inside her with all she had – but that didn't stop her from being impatient with them. It was high time that Eliza and Milos' children put in an appearance, if only for their Mother's sanity; Pepper had enforced rest on her the past couple of weeks, and the boredom which came with it had grated on the Cormier woman since day one.

She missed her caribou. She missed hunting and cooking and swimming in the lakes, and she missed being able to walk without waddling. And the more Liz sat in that lumpy armchair and thought about everything she was missing, the more upset she became. She wasn't the sort to cry – she never had been – but soon tears sat upon her cheeks, gleaming in the light of the moon.

She cried quietly, though, for she didn't want to wake her mate. He deserved his sleep – he deserved everything the beauty of life could possibly bestow upon him. Milos deserved to know their children already, and he deserved to know what a wonderful Father he was going to be. Eliza had every faith in that.

But even the fondest thoughts of her mate couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Somewhere along the way Eliza realised that she was no longer crying out of frustration – pain had been creeping up on her for some time, and she had put it down to her considerable girth being squished into the over stuffed armchair.

But when she rose the pain was sharp and vivid. It made her head swim and wrenched a louder sob from her throat. Liz gritted her teeth and looked at the moon glowing through the window, so full and perfect, and for a moment she was terrified of what was to come. Even though she'd experienced labour before, the overriding and ridiculous thought running through her mind was that she didn't want to wake anyone.

She needed help, though, and with a great deal of effort she made it back to the bed which Milos slept in.

“Love.” Liz waited for his eyes to crack open and reveal the amber pools that she loved so much. “Love, don' freak out or nothin' - oooh fuck - but I reck'n they're on their way.”

[500+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:45 pm

OOC: THE BABIES ARE COMIN', THE BABIES ARE COMIN'!

Swollen and silver in the star-speckled sky, the moon hovered boldly in its field of onyx and kept its silent watch over the children of earth. Elusive though it often was, sleep had found Milos quickly that night and, with a voice like soft summer rains, it lulled him into a peaceful, dreamless slumber before the moon was even halfway into its journey to the top of the world. Weeks of joy and of worry and of endless preparation, coupled with his responsibilities as Quartermaster, had run the expecting father ragged. And in those weeks, sleep had been kept at bay with the endless churning of his overactive mind. Imaginary scenarios and future dangers and a steady stream of what-ifs assaulted his thoughts. But in those moments of anxiety, so too were mixed within all the joys and milestones and experiences Milos was excited to share with his future children, creating a slurry of elation and fear that left him too wound up for sleep.

Tonight, though. Tonight he had managed to breathe all those thoughts and worries and hopes away and allow his tired mind to rest. He had fallen asleep with Eliza's rotund body against his, his arm around her middle. But after the humidity had settled itself uncomfortably in their little room and Milos had woken again to discard his shirt, he found that his mate had gone. Bleary-eyed and half-asleep, the Parhelion figured she'd become too warm with the heat and humidity and slipped quietly away to cool down. Reassured with his mate's absence, Milos kicked the furs from his torso and sunk back into a deep slumber.

When he awoke again, it was to Eliza's softly rough beckoning and beautifully pained face. He cracked open his eyes, like dawn cresting the horizon, and smiled. Her words trickled into his ears but they didn't immediately make sense. Like falling through water, each word slowly fell into a sequence that offered an explanation for creases in his mate's brow and the strained hiss in her voice. His sluggish mind asked: who? but his heart was already kicking up its cadence. Milos sat up quickly, his eyes wide as the moon was full, and took Eliza's hand. "Liz? The puppies're comin'?" he breathed, searching her face and brushing away a fiery curl with the thumb of his other hand.

Frantic now, Milos rose to his feet, promptly fell to the floor again when he found his legs to be entangled in furs, kicked the damned pelts away, rose again and offered to help get his mate comfortable in their bed of furs. "What d'ya need, Liz? What should I do?" he asked her, failing to keep the nervous tremor from his voice.

[WC — 467]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:53 am

OOC: Haaaahaha god I feel sorry for Milos right now.

IC:
The silhouette of her mate sat up sharply as the dog, beleaguered by pain, drew an equally sharp intake of breath. Milos reached for Liz's speckled hand and she clung to his larger hand, squeezing her fingers around his. She was unsure if the gesture was for his reassurance or her own, but another sickening wave of pain ran through her and she swayed briefly, taking a stumbling step forward.

His fall made Liz wince, and when he rose again the wobble in his voice sounded strained, as if he could have been holding back a herd of wild horses. She had expected as much – she had expected for Milos to worry and fuss over her, and she wouldn't have had it any other way. She just hoped that that nervous waver in his tone was also holding back excitement.

She shook her head as the Quartermaster rearranged the furs. “S'too hot fer that. Rather be outside. C'n we go outside, Milos?” Her voice was high and pleading, like a child's. Eliza had a feeling that her mate might object to the idea of their children being born outside, but the warmth inside was stifling. “Want t'feel the breeze. I won' go nowhere, jus' – it's too bloody hot in 'ere.” Eliza turned widened brown eyes on her mate and a faint whine left her. If there was any time where coercion and puppy dog eyes were permissible, she figured it had to be during labour. Besides, Milos needed to get used to puppy eyes pleading with him.

The thought struck her suddenly and forcefully. “Oh Goddess, Pepper's bedside manner won' be no better if she's bin woken up!” It seemed a ludicrous concern, that the elderly Coydog would resent the fact that Liz had gone into labour in the middle of the night, but the note of fear in her voice was real. The panic building in the dog's chest was real, too, and she could stand the warmth of the cottage no longer.

“C'mon, c'mon.” There was an urgency in Liz's tone which her movements couldn't possibly match at that moment. Her feet shuffled and she turned, gingerly, for the door, still grasping Milos' hand. “I'll drag ya outside if I have t'. Look, I'll just sit on th' porch 'n' you c'n go get Pepper 'n' tell 'er that I tried to wait 'til mornin', but I guess these kids're 'bout as impatient as their Ma.” She nodded decisively, though she didn't know how much sense she was making. Babbling seemed to ease the pain.

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:51 am

OOC: you have my full permission to PP Milos, darlin'! <333

"Outside?" he parroted uncertainly, his molten eyes wide and bright. A gaping maw remained long after the last syllable had faded in the darkness around them, dragging silence with it. Milos mulled her request over as quickly as his sleep-addled mind allowed. He studied her warm maple eyes carefully, lovingly, with several flicks and flutters of his own. In the depths of his bare chest, his heart knocked loudly against its cage.

Oh, but her voice. "Liz," he whispered, hating how uncomfortable she appeared to him. Milos continued to watch her, brushing his calloused fingers across her forehead and rubbing the soft arch of her cheek with his thumb. She did feel hot to him. But it was the ghost of a whine that did him in.

Milos nodded and shifted his weight in order to help pull his mate to her feet and guide her outside. "Leave th' worryin' t' me, love," he told her gently, a small smile finally gracing his face. "Only thing left ya gotta think 'bout's you'n them." He laid a palm flat against her belly and breathed. Like butterflies dancing in the sun, a shimmer of something less like anxiety and more like bliss took flight in his heart. A short, almost giddy, laugh slipped between a growing smile. "This's really it?" he breathed, glancing from his mate's swollen belly back to her eyes. He cupped Eliza's dainty face with wide hands and kissed the top of her head.

But there was little time for such moments of reflection it seemed, as evidenced by the urgency in his mate's voice. "Okay, okay," he said quickly, taking one of her arms in his and finding the small of her back with his other. From there, Milos helped hoist Eliza to her feet before guiding her to their door at her pace. "I don' wanna leave ya," he whimpered when at last they were on their porch. The humidity remained unchanged but at least there was a breeze to comb his mate's fiery tresses. It brushed his bare, ruined back and sent a shiver through him. But his past was the farthest thing from Milos' mind. This was the present and, soon enough, the future he had only ever dreamed about.

With a final word and a particularly spicy look from Liz, the expecting father shot off to Pepper's cottage, deadset on carrying her to his mate if it would him back to her faster.

[WC — 418]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:42 am

00+ Sorry for the wait on this! Discussed assumptions about sleeping arrangement w/ Rat, but let me know if I should change anything. Willow is in Lupus form.

See galleries for credit.

The loft was hot in the summer night, and Willow stirred. She peeled an eye open and rolled over onto back, stretching her limbs out, so that her belly would find air rather than boil against the bedding -- bedding that had begun to lose its last traces of Sorcha's scent, to the girl's occasional worry. She knew that the woman was gone, passed, but it still felt odd to her sometimes to sleep in her friend's area. It was her growing body and a constant need to fidget in sleep that banished her from the furs where her parents cuddled at night.

She sighed softly and shut her eyes again. It was quiet a while, if hot, but then an odd sound broke through the silence of the night. A sob.

Her dark brown ears flicked, and Willow rolled back onto a suddenly queasy, dappled stomach. She strained her ears again -- there were voices now, pitched with pain and concern, and at once the nervous girl rose to all fours and began to inch toward the stairs, quivering. She descended the steps and nosed open the front door, padding out onto the porch with ears pinned and tail low as she spotted her mother and Milos' retreating figure.

What's wrong? Willow whispered, licking Eliza's hand.

I took the time to breathe
Among the rootbuds and the weeds
But the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet
New Caledonia
Distinguished
Raze
Luperci Piscator I, Priest I druid the wilds where the caribou call They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:14 am

OOC: Because I am a slow I moved things along xD Also having kids on the porch is totally safe, right??

IC:
It felt like she needed to hatch a plan just in order to walk to the porch, but with her mate's help she made it. Eliza turned her face into the breeze, her eyes closing, and released a sigh of relief. Her face was still marked by pain but at least she could breathe now. It felt as if things were progressing more quickly than with Willow, and Liz had her doubts that Pepper would make it in time to do much, but she was certain she'd get an earful from the Coydog if she didn't send Milos to call for her. While Pepper was hard headed and brusque in her manner, Liz knew she doted on the children of Krokar and liked seeing them into the world.

“Yep, this's it. Our kids.” Through the pain soared a note of excitement. She squeezed her mate's hand and flapped her other speckled hand, urging him to go and get the elderly healer. And then, for a brief moment, Liz was alone in the dark, gazing up at the fat moon and the twinkling stars.

She barely noticed the four legged form of her first child slinking onto the porch – just enough not to jump when Willow licked at her hand, but not enough to tear her gaze away from the brilliance of the night sky.

“Willow,” she crooned, her hand moving from her belly to smooth her daughter's head fur. “Yer baby siblings're comin' soon.” Her brown eyes left the sky to look into her daughter's pools of blue, and she smiled. “Gonna be alright. They'll love their big sister. C'mere.” The dog lowered herself carefully onto the porch steps and reached for her child – her first child. Having no younger siblings herself, Liz couldn't quite begin to wonder at how difficult the transition might be for Willow, but she was determined to make it known that the blue eyed wolfdog was cherished beyond measure.

The restlessness seemed to have abandoned her, replaced by an impatience which went beyond even Liz's usual. She fidgeted, tweaking the fiery curls which fell over her shoulders and tapping one white toed foot on the step below where she sat. Under her breath she counted.

But when she saw the figures returning, separating from the night into firmer forms than the darkness itself, Liz had forgotten what number she'd gotten to.

“What in Goddess's name are ya doin' out here?” Pepper's admonishment was predictable, but still Eliza rolled her eyes. Her jaw was set, her stubborn streak widening to encompass her entirely.

“Unless ya c'n bring the wind 'n' the stars inside I en't shiftin'. 'n' ya better hurry – don' think we got long t'wait.”

Grunting, Pepper moved forward and Liz reached for her mate with one arm – the other was still wrapped around Willow's shoulders.

It seemed that the minutes from then on flew by. In spite of the pain, in spite of Pepper's regular interjections telling Eliza she was a damn fool, the time to greet them was soon upon the small gathering of family.

It was quieter than last time. With Willow the expectant Mother had been more afraid, less aware of what she should expect from the experience. With Willow at her side now, Liz was both reassured and conscious of the fact that she didn't want to strike fear into her eldest child's heart.

The stars winked as the first little whelp entered the world, loud and wet and hungry. And then the second - but there was no sound to accompany him. Liz looked down sharply, feeling panic seize her again. “S'wrong? Pepper?” The silence seemed to stretch on for an eternity, though in reality it was only a couple of seconds. Pepper handed the child – not crying, not breathing – to Eliza and she saw the gleam of something obscuring his face. “What do I -” Instinct kicked in within a moment and Liz cleared the obstruction with gentle laps of her tongue. The babe squawked and relief flowed through her.

Liz searched for a face, and she knew that either face – mate or beloved daughter – would do. “Two li'l men,” she breathed. “Two!”

[700+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:58 pm

OOC: Eeee! Welcome to the 'Soulsverse, Logan and Bram! x3

"Oughter be somebeast dyin', wakin' me like this!" came Pepper's rumbling growl from the other side of the door upon which Milos had been pounding upon for what felt like the better part of an hour. In reality, it had likely been no more than a minute, but time seemed to be shimmering by considerably faster than it truly was. He could have kissed her wrinkled, harassed face when at last she swung open the door, mane disheveled and an award-winning frown hanging heavily upon her brow. "It's Liz," Milos managed to breathe. Before he could make sense of what he was doing, one of his arms reached out and wrapped around her wrist. His eyes were wide with a mixture of emotions — fear and tenderness and excitement. "This's it. They're comin'," he elaborated, pausing to let another wave to reality settle warmly in the folds of his heart. He smiled. "They're really comin'!"

From there, Pepper had been easy to coax out of the comfort of her home. She followed after Milos as quickly as she could on her aging, aching legs, until the reality of the situation came into focus as they arrived at the porch. "What in Goddess's name are ya doin' out here?" Milos pulled a face, as though apologetic for the Surgeon's reaction, but swooped over to his mate and step-daughter without hesitation. He gave Eliza's wiry cheek a reassuring kiss and shifted his bright eyes upon Willow.

He wondered after her thoughts in this moment, thinking how terribly concerning and confusing this all must be, and rubbed tenderly one of her ears before trailing ivory fingers down her cheek. Milos gave her a soft, reassuring smile. Maybe, in some ways, they were feeling similar things, but the Quartermaster wasn't about to show his own worries or concerns to the youth. In this moment of vulnerability and wonder and excitement, Milos recognized the role he ought to play as the bastion of support. And, in many ways, this idea provided him with a great deal of reassurance as well.

While Willow's birth was filled with howls and screams, the birth of their newest was considerably quieter. Milos hung by Eliza's side, holding her hand or wiping her brow or doing anything he could possibly do to help her. In the end, however, the soon-to-be father was utterly powerless.

The first born came uneventfully, squeaking cries of cold and hunger into the humid evening air. But when the second came, it seemed as though all the happiness and relief he had previously felt was squashed in an instant by the idea of wrongness. Milos picked up on his mate's distress instantly, a cold terror gripping his heart remorselessly. He held Eliza's hand tightly, hardly daring to breathe as Pepper assessed their second-born. She held him out then, quiet and still, until his mate's instincts drove her forward. The sound of his child's cry warmed him like the sun and at last he breathed and hugged Liz to him, eyes on the two furry nuggets.

Milos tried — and failed — to suppress a laugh. "Two!" he echoed his mate, finding her exhausted, but still beautiful, face. He reached out to touch the soft, damp fur of his boys. His boys! "Liz, they're perfect," he whispered in the dark, another gentle laugh warbling in the warm night air as his bright eyes found Willow again. "Will'a, ya got a pair o' brothers now," he chirped softly, reaching out to touch her ear. He allowed his gaze to hover over her face a moment longer before looking at Eliza again. "What'll we call 'em?" he asked, glancing at the pair of puppies. "Reckon we outta name one after your pa, seems only right." There was pause as Milos tapped thoughtfully at his dark lips. "Bramble," he offered, flicking sunshine upon his mate. "How's 'bout Bramble for one o' 'em?"

[WC — 673]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:27 pm

300+ time to witness the gross miracle of childbirth, Willow (alternate title: how to get Willow to not say anything for most of a post; alternate alternate title: i'm slow)

Her mother stroked her head, and Willow allowed herself a childish whimper as she was comforted. Her light blue eyes were big and round when Eliza explained that her little siblings were coming, and she managed a tremulous smile and scooted closer, nuzzling into Liz. Her mother was warm, almost feverishly so, but comforting still.

She looked up when the elderly Pepper stormed upon the scene, squawking an accusation at the Cormier, and managed a nervous smirk before Milos' hand descended upon her head as well. She shut her eyes at his touch, inching closer for a precious few moments before returning, an anxious guardian, to her mother's side as the contractions started again. She nuzzled her, licked her cheek, waited, and watched.

Willow was not so ignorant as to not understand what was happening -- the build-up was more confusing than the result -- but time with animals and talks with parents assured her that what was happening now was normal. Her ears flickered at the crying of her first baby brother, but it was the second -- the quiet one -- that seemed in trouble. Instinct guided Eliza to bathe its face and coax it to squall, and then the tired mother declared it: two boys!

The new sister inched forward cautiously to sniff the small, wet bundles. They smelled coppery from the blood of birth, but beneath that scent was that of a tiny wolfdog. It was fascinating, different -- but something like doubt or worry touched her gaze for a brief instant. They did smell like Liz, and Milos too.

But her stepfather's sunshine gaze roused a smile, if still nervous and awkward, and she forced her voice into the night air: bold and certain. I like Bramble. She glanced at the other puppy, intrigued by his brown splotches. The rest of him was white -- though she didn't know that soon ticked markings like hers would emerge. This'un looks like a Cormier.

I took the time to breathe
Among the rootbuds and the weeds
But the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet
New Caledonia
Distinguished
Raze
Luperci Piscator I, Priest I druid the wilds where the caribou call They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:07 am

OOC: aka Rat is slowest ever and also writing on painkillers so this may not make the most sense ever?

IC:
While some part of the Mother wanted to protect her firstborn from the horrors – and she knew there could be horrors, though every fibre of her hoped they wouldn’t show themselves – of childbirth, a greater part of her knew that she was a realist and that she wanted Willow to know the truths of life, from the very first breaths to the last. Those truths were exquisite, unmatched by any beauty that could be offered through sheltering the young wolfdog. Storm might berate her for allowing their child to be present, but Liz had always been beyond determined to include Willow in every aspect of being a sibling – and what aspect was more important than being present, than forming a bond from their very first moments?

When it was over, when the pain subsided to be replaced with fatigue and a tired smile stretching across her bearded muzzle, Liz felt Willow creep forward to sniff at her new siblings. She felt Milos’ touch, too, and his scent enveloping her as he hugged her, and then she felt the weight – less than their Father’s yet somehow just as meaningful – of the pair of newborns against her chest. Her smile couldn’t waver after that.

Pepper fussed a little, but she seemed satisfied with the outcome, and as Liz looked to the coydog for that final reassurance that everything was as it should be, she thought she might’ve seen a flash of pride in her face which made the lines of age disappear for a moment.

Eliza didn’t allow her focus to settle on Pepper for long. There was her family to look to, a family which had just swelled with the arrival of two – two – sons. Liz couldn’t even dislike the fact that there were yet more Cormier boys in the world. Bursting with pride and a fierce desire to protect and to nurture, to see them grow and to stop them from growing too quickly at the same time, her ears twitched at her mate’s suggestion of a name after her Father. It was just like Milos to suggest that.

“Bramble,” she echoed, and already the name was saturated with fondness. “Reck’n Da would like that.” She beamed when Willow agreed that it was a good name, and her focus settled upon the patched newborn, his nose brown, a paler shade of her own. “Where’d all this white come from?” she asked, bemused. But that paleness with splashes of colour was reminiscent of someone, someone who had been in their lives. Someone who, like her own Father, was no longer – but someone who would live on in memory.

Her gaze caught Milos’ and then Willow's before she nodded to the firstborn bundle.

“Logan. Logan Cormier.”

[444]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:34 pm

OOC: We could probably wrap this up here if you guys like? <3

His heart was abundantly full.

With twinkling eyes, he watched his young stepdaughter — a big sister now — inch her wiry body forward. He thought he could see her black nose twitch as she investigated her new baby brothers and his smile deepened. Willow's boldly stated endorsement drew forth another hearty chuckle and, with bliss plain on his face, Milos swept his gaze to his mate.

Willow's observation of their eldest son was rang true. "Reckon you're right, Will'a," he agreed, glancing down at the wriggling bundle of white and liver.. He shook his head, amused, and found Eliza's tired eyes.

He held his breath with his mate's beautiful utterance.

"Logan." He breathed. A flash of silver, terracotta smudges, mocha eyes. There was something in his voice but it was not sadness. It was gratitude. It was warmth and it was hope and it was trust. It was deep, unadulterated delight. A smile returned to his lips and he looked down again at his two perfect sons. "Logan Cormier'n Bramble Parhelion." He touched their noses with his own and leaned in to wrap his arms around his mate and stepdaughter, thinking there couldn't be anything more perfect than this moment.

[WC — 207]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics