in her eyes were embers of memories

POSTED: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 pm

WORDS

It seemed after some careful information digging that she would be able to pursue her gifts after all. Without Kentaro and Anathema and in an entirely new place, Lithia was beginning to feel a little lost. Lost in the perspective of what she was supposed to do with her skills in stealth and information now that she was in an entirely new place. She had to make new friends and new allies, and find new purposes. But she may have already found one.

Luckily, this new place seemed rather flexible, as long as the task proved to be useful. And why couldn’t foresight be considered useful? All the studying, all the research done on premises eventually wielded a new skills. It had started with tarot cards, but evolved into something so much better. The books said that there were many ways to practice divination and there were many techniques to use to tell the future. Perhaps using Wiccan magick was sketchy - especially to those who didn't believe - but chance told the future. Chance was trustworthy because it was done by nature. It was unpredictable and helpful all in the same.

Lithia sat in the Estate’s sitting room with a fire crackling before her and the curtains drawn so that the only light that came in was from the hall and the glow of the fire. She held a teacup in her hands with a cracked handle and lost her mind as she stared into the flames and the flames stared back. On a small table in front of her was a jar filled with chamomile leaves steeping in formerly heated water, waiting to be consumed, waiting to be read. There was another tea cup set on the table, but it was empty. The Napier woman warmed her fingers underneath the cup as she let her mind wander to varying sights.

Absently, Lithia brought the cup to her lips.

[Form: Optime | Date: 9/07] Care for a spot of tea anyone? Come startle Lithia out of her thoughts lol.
This: Sammiie | Stock: Dawnthieves | Textures: MercuryCode
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm

OOC: I figured they'd probably know each other's name, if nothing else. Let me know if that's not okay. WC: 324

IC:
Book in hand, Naenia wandered the halls of the estate looking for a place to read. And drink. More importantly, drink. She had another argument with Nivosus and she still couldn't figure out why she cared so much about what he thought. She wanted to be right, but she wanted to argue just as much because it was fun to do so with him. She enjoyed the arguments even as they infuriated her. Hence, the alcohol, which she had not yet started to drink. Soon, though; it was one of her favorites that she found in the bar. She'd take what was left of it back later since she did not intend to drink the whole bottle, even if she liked it a lot.

Her daughters were in her bedroom, which meant that she was not heading there, and she was worried about spilling the alcohol on the books in the library. Besides, her retainer, Sylvestre, was likely to look for her there since she had been spending a fair amount of time going over some of the books there. So, she carried the bottle with her to the sitting room instead, but found it to already be occupied and too dark to read, except for where the light came in from the door over one of the old sofas. She looked down at her book and shrugged before heading inside. The room smelled of the smoke from the fire as well as the tea in front of Lithia. Neither was unpleasant enough to make Naenia change her mind.

"Hello," Naenia said as she passed by and sat down. The alcohol sloshed in the bottle as she set it down and the old couch creaked. "Hope you don't mind if I join you in here. I was just going to do some reading." And avoid their leader, and her retainer, and her daughters, but Naenia didn't think Lithia needed to know the last three.

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
but you're not afraid of me
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:45 pm

WORDS

She thought back to earlier times – to Oceane and her fire, to the fires lit in the torches in the Howling Caverns, to the fire that burned in the great fireplace in the Blackmoor Castle. She wondered how her mother was doing and how Anathema had been holding up still. She didn’t know if she would ever pay them another visit, given that she didn’t even have family there, but sometimes she wondered what was going on over there. What had Kentaro been up to? Had Amorette had anymore useless children of his? How was Kohaku? His snippy child Lelouch? A smile ghosted her lips as she thought of the way she could make Lelouch angry with just a few pushes in the right direction…

Footsteps were in the hallway, nearing the room, but Lithia was lost in the memories. She drank her tea, smiling faintly, and staring into the fire. Nothing could bother her then, nothing except…

”Hello”

Lithia startled, snapping her eyes to the woman that graciously entered the room. There hadn’t been enough tea in her cup to spill it, but if it had been full, it could’ve sloshed over the sides and dripped into her lap with the jerky movement. Pink eyes follow Naenia as she plopped down on the couch beside hers and clunked a bottle of alcohol on the table. Lithia eyed the bit of water in her jar sway with the movement, the leaves inside moving ever so slightly as well.

”No, not at all,” Lithia answered easily, despite all that just happened. This was an easier way to meet someone else officially anyway. Be startled by them, and then invite them for a cup of tea. Eyeing the bottle of alcohol briefly, Lithia asked, ”Would you like some tea?”

It was unexpected, but Lithia had other motives for her cup of tea other than drinking it and relaxing.

Taking one last sip, Lithia swirled the contents of the cup and then turned it upside on the wooden table, allowing the few remaining drops of tea to spill out onto the table as the cup rested completely overturned. Lithia’s pink eyes rested on Naenia, awaiting an answer.

[Form: Optime | Date: 00/00] You're good! :D
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:02 pm

WC: 302

Naenia was not convinced that Lithia did not mind the company, which was probably more projection than anything because Naenia would not have been pleased with someone disturbing her peace, even if she was in a communal area. Still, she had no objected, so Naenia was not going to up and leave now. Instead, she settled deeper into her seat and started to open her book in her lap when Lithia spoke again.

The offer of tea was unexpected and Naenia glanced at her bottle of alcohol, trying to decide which she would prefer when the count of a cup overturning drew her attention back to Lithia, thinking she had dropped or spilled it. She blinked in surprise to find that she had indeed spilled her tea, but that it had apparently been done on purpose. That was going to be a mess. There wasn't tea dripping out from under the cup though, so maybe it had been mostly empty.

"Uh, sure," Naenia said in a slightly confused tone then, unsure if Lithia actually meant tea now or something different. "Tea sounds good." She couldn't figure out why Lithia would have dumped her tea leaves onto the table, but she didn't ask either, figuring that Lithia would explain herself if she wanted to, and she hoped that she did since it was sure to be an interesting explanation.

"I'm Naenia Ortega, by the way, Opus Faber. I don't think we've officially met before." She had seen her around the pack and knew her name, but little else about her. Now added to that minimal knowledge was that she tipped tea leaves onto tables, which did not increase Naenia's opinion of her from neutral, although it was random enough that it did not decrease her opinion, either, so there was that at least.

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:08 pm

WORDS

It had not occurred to Lithia that Sapiens would find her divination tricks strange. She had lived with a pack so long that accepted all forms of magick as a regular thing. Now she belonged to one that thought them as magic tricks. It was a different bit of thinking.

Looking over at her pack mates, Lithia watched as her face contorted with confusion. Naenia’s eyes were locked on the dumped cup of tea, and Lithia had to reclaim her thoughts for a moment before she realized why that look remained in Naenia’s eyes. Once Lithia realized, she burst out laughing.

”I guess that does look a little strange, doesn’t it?” she said, nodding to the cup on the table. From her side, she took out a bit of cloth she intended to wipe the table with. For now, she rested it on the table because she had yet to pick up the cup. ”Normally, tasseography’s done with a little plate underneath, but since I don’t have one of those and I don’t think the bar does either, I have to make due.”

Naenia agreed to a cup of tea, and Lithia reached for the cup she set aside and poured the liquid in, making sure to get some of the ground leaves into the cup. She set the cup in front of Naenia beside the bottle of alcohol, and then closed the tea jar. It was half-filled with liquid now for another day or another cup of tea.

”I was about to do a tea leaf reading for myself,” Lithia announced, turning the cup around on the table so that she could pick it up by the handle. ”If you want, after you finish, I can do one for you, too.” Then she plucked the cup from the table, leaving a wet, goopy ring behind. She began studying the bottom and the shapes that formed there from the grains of tea. She saw a trident, upwards arrow, and a letter “m” with an extra hump right away, but turned the cup in her hand to better scrutinize the shapes offered to her.

[Form: Optime | Date: 00/00] Just to clarify, Lithia had not dumped like a whole cup on the table. There was like a tiny bit left that she used to swirl and then upturned it :)
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:00 pm

OOC: I gotcha! :D Naenia didn't see how much was left when Lithia dumped it, so she had a 'yikes, what the heck?' moment. xD WC: 207

IC:
Naenia had never heard the word tasseography, but she did not want to admit as much, so she simply nodded to Lithia's explanation, assuming that she would be able to figure out what Lithia was talking about in time.

"No, I don't think they do either," Naenia nodded. She wasn't sure where the pack stored plates that were used during celebrations, but the bar probably was not it. Having already fragile things around drunk canines was certainly not ideal. She was surprised that more alcohol bottles did not end up broken.

With a murmured thank you, Naenia picked up the cup of tea Lithia poured and listened as she explained more about what she was doing. Tea leaf reading was something Naenia had heard of before, so 'tasseography' must be a fancy word for it. Like other types of fortune telling, Naenia didn't put much stock into it, but she would admit that despite her skepticism, it would be fun to have a reading done for herself.

"That sounds good," she said and sipped her tea in silence so that she could let Lithia concentrate on what she was doing. She figured that if Lithia wanted to tell her what she was seeing, she would do so.

Myst
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 pm

WORDS

Lithia nodded when Naenia confirmed that there were no such plates at the bar. It was good that she hadn’t wasted her time looking for them, either. The table would serve its purpose, and the towel would wipe away the remnants. And once it was time for Naenia to flip her cup – rinse, repeat.

Lithia rotated the cup so that the handle was positioned at twelve, as if on a face of a clock. Following the shapes around in a clockwise motion, she saw the trident, upwards arrow, and the letter “m” with the extra hump – or an extra “toe” when thinking about many of the cats that occupied Anathema at one point. More towards the other side of the cup’s handle, there was an “X” and a clump that looked like a spiral. Knowing most of the symbols by heart, Lithia was easily able to read her fortune. In a nutshell, her fortune warned against hasty decision-making with upcoming challenges. It was a few minutes before Lithia looked up from the cup, lowering it into her lap and staring into the fire. She wondered what that meant. What was coming? What was going to be so difficult about it?

Pink eyes wandered to her fire-coated pack mate and reading the uncertainty in her eyes, Lithia realized she forgot to explain. ”So, how this works is you drink your cup of tea thinking about a certain question you’d like to ask the leaves. Once you have maybe a half of a sip left, you swirl the contents around three times, and then overturn the cup. Usually, it would be into a small plate, but since we don’t have one of those, the table will be our substitute.” Lithia leaned forward and placed her own cup off to the side of the table, and then grabbed the rag and wiped the wet stain and tea leaves from the table.

”Once you turn over your cup, you turn it so the handle is pointing north from you, and you read the symbols left in the tea leaves from the right, all the way around the cup to the handle on the other side. The symbols on the right side of the handle represent the present or something close to you; and further they get from that point, the further in the future they represent.”

Lithia took her cup from the table and leaned towards Naenia as to show her something. You see this symbol?” she pointed to the spiral. ”It’s closer to the handle on the left side. I would say this is far in the future. See the “m” with the third hump? That’s assumed to present or happening very soon.” She lingered there, allowing Naenia to look at the symbols and their positions in the cup before leaning back into her own chair.

[Form: Optime | Date: 00/00] Ok! Just checkin’ :)
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:05 pm

WC: 384

The explanation given by Lithia did not make Naenia any less skeptical about this whole process, but she nodded and went along with it anyway. Even if she did not think it was real, it was still interesting and a bit entertaining. She also couldn't help but be a bit curious about what she would see in the leaves, if anything.

She leaned over to see what Lithia was pointing out and she could sort of see the shapes, but overall it still just looked like a lump of soggy tea leaves to her. Maybe hers would have more distinct symbols. She hoped anyway since she didn't want to look foolish while searching for shapes. She also had to think of a question to ask the tea. Naenia blew gently on it while looking down at the liquid. She did not have anything specific she wanted to ask, so she just figured she could go with something general: what would be happening in her life. Lithia had not said it needed to be something specific, after all.

As instructed, Naenia sipped until there was only a little bit left and then she swirled it three times. From there she flipped the cup over as instructed, feeling a bit foolish for dumping it onto the table and making a mess. She then turned the handle and began looking for symbols. It all just looked like mush to her at first with nothing discernable. She turned the cup in her hands, tipping her head, looking for anything that might resemble a shape, and then finally she spotted what looked like an upside down U. There was also a V type shape that was nearly on top of the U. And then she was able to make out a few more shapes.

"Well," she said, holding the cup out so that Lithia could see as well. "On the right side of the handle, I see a couple of lines, and then here's an upside down U next to a V. It sort of looks like a V anyway, but the sides curve, see?" She pointed to it. "There's also one that looks like a knot, or maybe it's just a clump," she shrugged. "And a bunch of little circles." Maybe there were others that she was missing.

Myst
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 pm

WORDS

Lithia tried not to stare at Naenia, but she couldn’t help but watch the woman as she dumped her tea and began looking at the leaves collected at the bottom. Naenia’s eyes squinted in skepticism and confusion, trying to decipher which clump looked like what. Lithia hadn’t judged her though. The first few times she had done a tea leaf reading, she couldn’t figure out the symbols either. It took a bit of getting used to for one to really be able to discern the symbols from the general clumps.

Taking the towel, she leaned towards Naenia and wiped the table in front of her, taking most of the wet tea leaves with her on the towel. A few still sprinkled the table, but Lithia couldn’t tell in the dim lighting. She left the towel on the table between them, and sat back in her chair, facing Naenia this time. There was inquisition in her eyes as she watched the woman, wondering what kind of symbols collected for her.

After a few moments, Naenia leaned towards her, holding out her cup. Lithia gently took the cup from the woman for a moment to look at the symbols she described more easily. What looked like a regular V, looked like the sign of Aries to Naenia, and Lithia didn’t object. It was most about how the cup owner deciphered the shapes, not how she did. Naenia described the sign of Aries, the sign of Sum, and the Lines she saw were symbols of change and travel, as well as a lump-looking shape that could have been the sign of the knot.

”Very good,” she muttered. The symbols Naenia had pointed out were the only prominent symbols Lithia could find in the cup, which was to say Naenia’s reading abilities were pretty impressive for her first time. ”On the right side of the handle, you see the lines here,” Lithia leaned toward her pack mate and offered the cup to her, pointing to each of the symbols to explain them. ”The lines often symbolize travel or change. Maybe you will travel somewhere soon. Maybe something is about to change – whether good or bad, we don’t know that yet. The next symbol may support that a bit. Then there’s the upside-down U shape – ‘Sum’, a symbol of togetherness. Maybe someone you care about will travel with you, or the change will somehow associate them.” Lithia rotated the cup carefully in Naenia’s hands. She pointed to the next symbol, the sign of Aries. ”This symbolizes strong emotion, fiery emotion. Maybe it’s something or someone you feel strongly about. And the little circles, here, mean brief travel or that you will be busy during this time,” Lithia indicated the space in which it was indicated on the cup. “It’s closer to the left of the handle, and so, it may be further into the future.”

Lithia leaned back away from Naenia and her cup. ”Tea leaf readings are a lot more primitive than other types of readings, such as tarot cards. These symbols don’t have a lot of forward meaning, so it mostly relies on the reader to decipher what they mean by their personal experiences. You got two symbols for travel and one for change. Maybe you will travel for the pack and the near future and bring about a change from it for the better… or maybe for the worse.”

The future was still as uncertain as it had been, but Naenia had little glimpses of possibilities now.

[Form: Optime | Date: 00/00] Sorry for the mega block of text!
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm

OOC: no worries! Sorry for the delay - I had Naenia overload and had to slow way down for brackets to get everyone else caught up. Dx Grumpy McSkeptical here refuses to believe any of this is real, lol. Want to wrap up? WC: 408

IC:
As she handed the cup to Lithia, Naenia waited for her to look it over and maybe find more than she had missed. Or the tea leaves were just lumps otherwise and there were a few sylbols but that was it. Naenia wasn't even sure if she'd found real things or just spots and nonsense. She leaned over and took the cup when it was offered to her, then and listened with skepticism as Lithia explained the things she had seen.

In Naenia's opinion, someone who knew even a little about another canine could make up a lot of things to make this sound convincing. If anyone knew she was from across the sea, which could perhaps be ascertained by her accent, they could think she was going to visit her homeland, or go back there permanently, which she thought could explain the lines that apparently indicated travel. She thought that everyone would have change in their lives, so that seemed obvious. Knowing whether the change or travel was good or bad would be much more useful.

As Lithia continued to explain her symbols, Naenia nodded along but still thought they were really vague and general, and could apply to nearly anyone in the pack. She knew only a few canines who never seemed to travel, and there seemed to be a lot of that, or change, in her future. When Lithia mentioned someone Naenia felt strongly about, her mind jumped unbidden to Nivosus, and she quickly pushed that away. The only strong thing she felt for him was dislike.

It seemed that even Lithia did not think tea readings were too helpful, or at least, that was how Naenia interpreted her words. It made her wonder why anyone bothered if there was something that was more helpful. She did not want to offend her packmate by giving this opinion, though. The whole idea of being able to know the future was interesting, but Naenia did not think this was the way to do it.

"Perhaps sometime we can try one of those Tarot readings," Naenia suggested. Tea leaves seemed mostly like mumbo jumbo to her, but maybe that type of reading would be different. "But thank you," she leaned back in her chair and offered a small smile. "Now I at least have a little idea about what could be in the future for me." She meant the words; even having some warning, however vague, was valuable.

Myst
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
and I can't convince you

Dead Topics