At the end of the day you should smell like dirt

[pNPC mini-contest] AW | Briar Patch

POSTED: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:48 pm

OOC: Let's get Ilse her Farmer co-rank! :D

The morning was cool and Milos could just make out his breath in the late season air. Like a ghost, it hung in front of his mouth precariously before vanishing as though it had never existed to begin with. Leaning against his rusted metal rake, the Quartermaster blew another silver veil from his mouth and watched again as the sun burned it to nothing. More and more mornings like these were coming, he knew. Summer was quickly fading, turning over the reins to bright and brilliant Autumn. Before long, Winter would be upon them and he would be hard-pressed to find a day when he couldn't see his breath in the air.

"Rakes work better when you use them like you are supposed to," came a woman's voice, successfully interrupting Milos' whimsical musings. He straightened his posture at an alarming speed and grinned sheepishly at the owner of the voice. "Reckon they do!" he replied with a chuckle, scratching absently at the back of his neck. Next to the woman, grazing contentedly, was the brindled mass of an ox. Ilse Verhoeven watched in through amused blue eyes. "It is okay if you are having second thoughts about helping," she continued, stepping nearer her ox to pat his neck. "Pim and I can handle this."

Milos shook his head. "En't havin' second thoughts an' ya en't doin' this by yourselves," he replied firmly. The smile on his face softened his features. "Jus' saw my breath's all an' I got t' thinkin' how soon it'll be snowin'." Ilse glanced around them. "I am not seeing snow right now," she countered impishly, a coy smile on her face. The Drover laughed. "Ya bring up a good point." Tightening his grip on the replaced handle of his rake, Milos swung it forward until the teeth dug into the ground before pulling it towards himself again, gathering trimmed grasses for fodder. Satisfied, Ilse offered him a solid nod before returning to chopping saplings with her hand axe.

[WC — 339]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Iro felt the chill of the morning on her nose, and could almost smell the weather changing day by day. These were the things that she often noticed now and again, when she went for a morning hunt, scout, or some other sort of daily chore. Sometimes, though, it was just a walk that she craved, to get out of the house she shared. Now and again it was just the sort of thing that eased the worries and the slight stresses that came with having a roommate.

The sound of chopping caught her attention, driving her toward the noise. After all, her day was unplanned and she had no need to hunt; it was a waste to merely do it to have something to do. Granted, she was not unarmed, but then again, she was never not armed.

She eyed them first, watching what they were doing with a sort of amusement. One hit the ground with a rake, the other chopped at saplings with a hand ax. It was quite amusing to watch, though Iroquois felt the itch to move, to do, slip into her hands and drew her feet forward.

"What are we up to here?" she called in her slightly accented tones, though it was a slight hint if anything. She drew closer to the woman chopping, but glanced over at Milos while she did. The air around them felt crisp and the various scents brought up by their actions perfumed the air. It was mostly moist soil that she scented, and it reminded her of spring.

#snagged also #badpost

Gen
Luperci Huntress of the Arctic Lights

POSTED: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:37 pm

OOC: Yeeeee!

As though tickled by the chill, the broad ears on either side of the ox's wedge-shaped head wiggled and the beast lifted his snout from the grass. He masticated lazily, dark eyes following silently after the white wolf's approaching shape. Billows of silver spilled into the air and became nothing. Pim paid no attention to anything except the woman and her delicately lilt.

Her voice encouraged Milos to pause his work. He pulled the rake in, wrapping his fingers comfortably around its haft, and rubbed his brow with the tender underside of his free forelimb. "Iroquois." He smiled brilliantly, resting his hands atop one another on the butt of the rake and leaning into it. Next to him, Ilse straightened at the waist and offered the Striker a silent nod of acknowledgement.

When she didn't immediately respond, Milos shifted his bright-eyed gaze away from the Flotsam and gesture to the expanse of Briar Patch. "Little autumn clearin'?" he offered lightly, parting his maw to say more before Ilse interrupted him. With a flick of one arm, she gestured to a modest pile of discarded foliage and brush to her left. "I am clearing this area," Ilse began, stepping towards Pim. She rested an arm along one long horn. "To prepare it for the growing season when the snow melts." She, too, smiled. "Krokar has a need for this, I have seen. Will you help, Iroquois? There is plenty for you to do."

Milos watched his spear instructor cheerfully. If raking fodder and chopping saplings was undesirable to Iro, Ilse was sure to have other tasks for the Outrigger to choose from.

[WC — 276]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Milos smiled at her and she returned it happily. Ilse did not seem too terribly thrilled to see her, though she was not at all dismissive, which may have been a comfort. "Oh boy," she said with a slight whistle, following the arc of his arm to the field that they seemed keen on emptying. Iro turned her attention on the woman again, who held that ax with such expertise. Finally, the woman seemed to smile.

Iro was torn a little. Part of her was not terribly eager to get herself caught up in such a big project. However, she knew it was right to help and that it would benefit all of them in the end to help them clear the field. Iro did not know farming or greenery above what prey preferred what plant, but at least she would manage to clear weeds, rocks, and debris if they would only tell her what she ought to do.

Iroquois laughed slightly at the woman's suggestion. There was plenty of work to be done, for certain. Anyone with eyes could see that there was a great deal to do if they were going to plant anything in any amount of time. "Of course I will help. Tell me what to do and I will do it," she offered, reaching to remove the bow and quiver from her back. It felt suddenly very cold and naked without them on her back in comforting familiarity. She hung them on a nob where once a tree branch likely protruded before falling. Striding back, hands on hips, she waited for her orders with a lopsided grin.

late and bad post :c

Gen

POSTED: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:12 pm

OOC: <333 Minor assumption towards the end from Ilse - let me know if not okay. c:

Gentle laughter followed the Striker's utterance, eyes like a pair of fireflies alighting upon her with radiant agreement. A quick glance around stretch of land was enough to confirm the amount of work they had left to complete. Tall with overgrown grasses and wildflowers and riddled with stones and fallen timber, Briar Patch was a mess. Ilse, so driven and determined, was sure to carry on their work long after the demands of his other many chores called Milos away.

The ox shook his thick, brindled neck and licked his velveteen snout. With a rumbling snort, Pim lowered his head and ripped up emerald strips of vegetation. Ilse considered Iroquois' nakedness with admiration and perhaps a glimmer of overzealous appreciation. Catching this, Milos piped up comically before the Flotsam could respond. "Best be careful what ya say 'round this'un," he said in mock-conspiracy, passing the words to Iro with the back of one hand. He glanced at Ilse, a stubborn smile still twisting his lips. "Reckon she'll tell ya t' clear th' bottom o' Black Lake too while you're at it if ya en't careful."

Ilse, feigning annoyance, chucked a crusty cow pie at the dark man, who dodged it with ease. She turned pointedly to the Outrigger, crossing her arms against her chest. "I am clearing saplings and Milos is talking too much." She laughed, the sound followed by a soft chuckle from the Quartermaster. "If you would be so kind, perhaps you could begin removing stones and branches?" Ilse gestured vaguely. "Such things can be piled there. Use can be made of them for other things, yes?" Iroquois, she had come to understand, could find a use for almost anything.

[WC — 288]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:47 pm

She sent a questioning look toward Milos before laughing. "Of course that's entirely unreasonable. I'm sure Ilse will be a proper taskmaster," she countered, knowing that the man was entirely joking. She was perhaps not the best at this sort of humor but she was happy to bust chops now and then. Iro did laugh as the woman demonstrated her disdain by throwing long dry dung at the man. At least it wasn't to her, she thought with a slight chuckle.

Hands on hips, the woman waited for her orders. She knew she was going to have to get down and dirty, and accepted that fact. Finally they came and Iro's lips were wide with a smile. It was an easy task, even if it was one that had to be done. "I understand," she affirmed, nodding her head slightly to the woman before moving to an area slightly away from the duo. "We can save the wood for fire, after all," she added merrily, bobbing around and picking up the fallen branches in the overgrown field.

It seemed simple work but it was enough to tire anyone out, realized the pale woman as she collected herself an armful of wood. She straightened, carrying her load toward a pile away from them all. It would be substantially bigger eventually. She nudged the pile with her foot to even it out. "What are you planning to grow for us, Ilse?" she called out, dusting off her arms as she went back to pile more wood into her arms.

is all good <3

Gen

POSTED: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Approval spanned Ilse's ochre face. "It is good to have someone respectable among us," came the Flotsam's cheeky remark, her tropical eyes laughing at Milos. He chortled, his lips parting wide to bellow the sound. In spite of her previous affiliation with the cartel, Milos truly had come to respect the woman and her obvious devotion to Krokar. He glanced at Iro again and heaved a defeated sigh. "Okay, okay," he whined, turning back to his own task. "Reckon I know a hint when I hear'un."

While Milos raked, Ilse bestowed her orders upon the Striker. Beaming at the woman's acceptance of her task, the Flotsam returned to her own self-appointed duty while Iroquois worked. "Fires, yes," she nodded, hacking down a sapling. "Bonfires are important to Krokar, so these will be useful. Also for my forge are flames needed." Born of a farmer and a smith, both skills held equal importance to Ilse.

Soon, the field was awash with the sounds of diligence. Every shhhk and thuk and clack suggested a different task that, when combined, would eventually prepare Briar Patch for farming. Even Pim played a role, ripping up grass and depositing manure, though his job was arguably the easiest. Rising, Ilse stretched out her back. "Much of these fields will remain useful for keeping livestock fed," she replied. "But Krokar has need of a place to grow plants for medicines. This, I have been told by Pepper." The look on her face suggested that the conversation had not been enjoyable. "And Milos has requested a section for herbs."

Scratching at a bug bite in his ear, Milos grinned at the two women and shrugged. "For Liz." Being the pack's Cook, he thought his mate would appreciate a collection of some of her more used herbs in one, reliable location. Ilse turned back to Iroquois. "Do you have any ideas of things Krokar should grow, Iroquois?"

[WC — 324]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:11 pm

"Forge, Ilse?" asked the woman, realizing she had not been familiar with that aspect of the farmer. While she was not the best creator, Iro had always prided herself on the skins and leathers she made for others and for herself. She may not have ever hunted specifically for the furs themselves, she hesitated to waste them unless it was clear the creature's skin would do poorly being treated or she slipped in the skinning. Those were always sad times but she often still treated that fur and simply used it to line the inside of things where the mistakes would be harder to spot.

Still, Iroquois kept up with her work; she was no slouch nor a creature prone to laze. Fit, it was not a hard task to accomplish, the removal of all the wood that had fallen. Her arms were slowly coated with dust, dirt, and fragments of bark from particularly dry branches and sticks. It smelled earthy and it only made her feel more connected to the work. Never mind that it would require a quick cleaning later.

She nodded at the woman's words. Food, herbs, those were all very good things to have. She herself found that various spices and herbs burned or rubbed into her meats gave different flavors and sometimes textures, but she was not sure what would do what and had no inkling to really try for the sake of trying. Sometimes it was a matter of coincidence when she found things that worked. Anything she could take from a communal place to then give to a communal meal seemed good to her, though.

But the question pressed at her as she thought and remembered some of the things grown in the little lots by her tribe. "Tobacco, can we get that? Didn't AniWaya grow that?" she asked suddenly, remembering the woody smoke that the elders blew from their pipes. She also knew a handful had grown marijuana but Iroquois had never been one to partake - she had not seen the need and never had felt herself overcome with such strong agitation or anxiety.

-slowest panda-

Gen

POSTED: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 pm

OOC: <333

"Ja," the woman replied, flicking tropical eyes at the huntress. She did not smile as she went back to her work. "Sometimes weapons I make, sometimes tools. I make what I have material for, and what needs the pack has." She tossed aside a wily sapling and looked at Iroquois again, panting. "But material is difficult to find. Sometimes I cannot make anything, and then I farm." The smile that blossomed across the Dutchwoman's face was one of peace and acceptance.

Meanwhile, Milos worked with one ivory-crested ear pinned to his packmates' conversation and a smile upon his own dark face. Every draw towards his body gathered mounds of valuable fodder, which he added to the larger mountain growing off on the edge of their work zone. He evaluated the stack of fodder, and both Iro's and Ilse's individual piles of debris, and wondered how many trips it would take to transport everything offsite.

As he wondered, his attention on the women waned. Though they had the one cart — with which Pim could easily manage — if they used both carts their workload would be greatly reduced. Granted, then they would need to retrieve a caribou or a horse. Their single handcart would be useless for a task like this, he decided, finally glancing up at Ilse and Iro when it became apparent their voices had melted away to silence. He met Ilse's curious stare and glanced sheepishly at Iroquois. "Uh," he murmured, grinning with flattened ears. "What's that?"

Ilse gave Iro a knowing look that seemed to say "Men!" before rolling her eyes. But the corners of her lips were quirked enough to suggest she was not disgusted. "Tobacco? AniWaya grew that, did they not?" But Milos could only shrug. He'd been there, sure, but only briefly. And his main focus had been on the animals. "Could've," he replied unhelpfully. "Reckon that'd be a good thing for us, though. Th' sacks o' old tobacc'a in Ail Po seem t' be useful enough." Milos glanced between the women. "Might be I could check with Vinátta'n see what's it they got for crops'n such."

Satisfied, Ilse gave the Parhelion a nod before straightening and brushing debris from her forehead with the back of her hand. "I think now it is time to start loading this into the cart. I do not like when too much is piled — I find it harder to work." she said, gesturing to their various items. Though Ilse would undoubtedly continue her task, she would not fault those who chose not to.

[WC — 438]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:41 pm

The grin that spread across her face was slow, but appreciative of the woman's mindset. It was much like her own, though she had never really found much need to learn more than she had known. Perhaps one day she might learn another skill or two, but hunting was and would likely always be her main focus in life. Had she a different trade or less of a need to hunt, she would have looked into secondary trade.

"That's quite wise, Ilse. I can appreciate that," she said with a slight chuckle, flicking a rogue twig off of her shoulder. It flew into the brush without a sound. "I only wish I could help provide you with work for that but I find so little need for metalwork." Her arrows were made of stone, her bows of wood, and her home of dirt. Metal was a luxury and rarely needed, so it did not find a place in her home beyond hooks for meat and herbs.

Iro laughed as Ilse chastised in her own way the man who clearly had stopped listening to their conversation. Her maw was spread wide in amusement. "Perhaps a good idea. I recall it being.. a pleasant smoke, too, when I last smelled it. Perhaps some would enjoy it here, too. I know it is a good commodity with traders." In the brief time she had been alone, several who learned she had hailed from a tribe asked if she had any to trade. She had not, but she had also not robbed her home in her departure.

Ilse suggested garnered a nod from the Striker, who moved to the pile nearest the cart to begin loading it. "Where are we to take these?" she asked, as she began to put an armful of debris into the bed of the cart, calling over her shoulder.

-slowest panda p2-

Gen

Dead Topics