A fair day's work for a fair day's pay

[P; Vicira; D'Neville Mansion]

POSTED: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm

407 Words

Cartier had waffled with the idea for a long while before he had finally committed to it. Then he had to wait for the mare to cycle back into heat again. He would have to manage it this time or else he would have to wait a whole nother year in order to do this. He might still have to do that if the procedure doesn't take. He just had to hope that everything would work out this time around. A number of the other mares had ceased going into heat and he almost assumed Mysia would have been the same but luck seemed to be on his side for the moment. Of course he wasn't expecting it to really be with him, but perhaps to just be toying with him instead.

Cartier had brought the mare out to meet where his stallion was tied up near the rabbit hutch. He had chosen a place far from where the other mares roamed about so as not to disturb them as well as the coyote trying to steer clear of the rest of the clan as well. He wasn't exactly certain how this was going to go just yet but he knew his own stallion to be testy around those he is unused to. He didn't want Mysia to get hurt in the process should Fuerza decide to show how much of a butt he could be.

Easy there girl. Everything is going to be okay. Even though he spoke to the mare that he was leading the words were more meant to reassure himself. Cartier didn't wish to allow himself to think of every little thing that could possibly go wrong. Like the pup who had sneaked out after him and trailed behind him. Cartier had been too preoccupied to notice Serenity at first but in the silence on the way to the back of the mansion it was hard to ignore her loud steps mixed with the crunch of leaves and the snapping of twigs.

Ren. An exasperated sigh escaped past his lips before he could stop it. I told you to stay back with Papa. The little girl's ears folded back against her head as she stopped in her steps and stared at the ground. "Wanna help..." The pup mumbled out. Cartier halted for the child to catch up to him. Well come on then but you will have to stay a safe distance away.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:58 am

The newest additions to Inferni’s herd pleased Vicira, and she spent much of her time in the mansion garden observing them. The foals all resembled one another (though Kallai was bigger) in their wobbly, spindly legs and big eyes, but soon enough their parents’ traits would come through: personality and physical ability. They were healthy, though, and until she learned their potential, Vici allowed herself to be superficially pleased by their colors. They were a spectrum of red—from vibrant flame to pale rose.

She had been watching them, relaxed and smoking (finally she had something to smoke), when she spotted Cartier walking past with Mysia. It seemed that he’d finally decided to breed her, and she at once stood, interested and invested. If the match went well, they would have a fierce, healthy animal on their hands.

The grey coywolf put out the roach and followed, pricking her ears as she noticed the little coyote loping after Cartier. It made her hesitate, but soon enough she approached, managing a smirk when she heard Cartier gently warning the puppy.

“You’d better listen if you don’t want to get stepped on,”
Vicira remarked, and glanced up at her brother. “Don’t you think she’s a little young to be watching this?” She grinned to show that it was a joke.
their lips the secret kept, if in ashes the fire-seed slept

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:36 pm

302 Words

Ren's head jerked up to look at Vicira when she was warned by the female. She shrank down and lowered her head. "I no step on." She said and moved up to press against Cartier's leg. It's okay, baby, she won't step on you. He reassured the pup that he knelt down to pet. A glance was cast up at Vicira, it asking her what she thought she was doing.

Don't you think that you are too young to be out here watching this? He teased in return once her had Serenity set back straight again. What have you been doing? Rolling around in the grass? He asked as he caught a whiff of a strange scent clinging to her fur. Cartier had never partaken in substances before and so he didn't recognize their scents or their effects.

Cartier's head turned towards the stallion as he snorted and pawed at the ground, clearly growing impatient from being tied up and unable to move about freely. Well, seems that Fuerza is ready. He didn't take his eyes off the stallion as he spoke to Vicira. How should we go about this? He had no experience with breeding, and barely had any experience with intimacy. Do we just put them together and wait for them to do what it is that they do? The coyote male was ready to defer to his sister's experience on the subject as his own was lacking. Vicira had helped with all the new foals that had recently been born and so he trusted her knowledge on the subject. How long do you think it will take before we know anything? Not only was there the question of how to make this happen but also as to how and when they would know should anything come from the coupling.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 am

Vicira twitched her mouth into a frown when her brother glanced at her, and looked off at the horse instead. All she’d wanted was to warn the child, not frighten her – but she supposed that she didn’t know what to do with the puppy. She wasn’t experienced with them.

The thought made her feel strange and bitter.

“I’m plenty old enough,” Vicira teased back. “I’m barely younger than you, anyway.” She was about to tease that she’d done this before, too, but decided that wasn’t appropriate; she didn’t want to make Cartier uncomfortable.

His sniff and question made her hesitate again, but her expression was collected and she answered easily. “Cannabis.”

Eager to change the subject and focus on the task at hand, she padded over to the mare, mindful of the animal’s nerves, and stroked her shoulder. She was watchful of Mysia biting and made sure that she was within the mare’s sight at all times, her body language relaxed and gentle. She glanced up at Cartier and smiled, half-teasing but not discouraging.

“Just putting them together is best, but we should watch them closely. If Mysia isn’t ready yet, she’ll probably reject him. We don’t want them biting or hurting each other.” She thought that the mare smelled of heat, and the horse seemed distracted and sensitive to the woman’s touch, but they could be fickle too – she might not want to take the stallion. “Just be ready to grab Fuerza if something goes wrong.”

She stepped back from Mysia and crossed her arms. “Well, you can’t really tell for sure until she starts showing, which is a long time from now. But if she goes back into heat a couple weeks after we breed them, safe to say she isn’t pregnant.” She glanced at the dark stallion. “We should probably breed them a couple times to be safe.”

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:16 pm

324 Words

Doesn't that stuff mess with your mind? He asked once he had his answer to why she smelled odd. It was an entirely curious question and not an accusatory one. He honestly didn't know if what he had heard before about the stuff was true or not. Vicira didn't seem like she was going crazy though. She still seemed to pretty much be herself for the most part. He wasn't really upset with her for what she said to Serenity. Not everyone knew how to speak to children. That seemed more like a skill acquired the more time one spent around children.

I'm always ready to grab Fuerza. The comment was made with a small chuckle. He is doing much better now than when I first got him. He still had his fiery personality but he could at least be worked with now. Fuerza could now be led around other horses now. And Luperci too, but it took someone with experience to be able to handle him. But then that was why he did whatever needed done for Fuerza. He didn't want anyone else to get hurt while trying to care for his horse.

Cartier headed over towards the stallion in order to untie his when he caught Serenity following along after him from the corner of his eye. Stay over near Auntie Vici, baby. He sent the girl back and waited until she had actually sat down by Vicira's feet before he untied the stallion in order to lead him over to the mare.

It didn't take Cartier any amount of prompting at all to get the stallion to mount the mare. Still Cartier remained close at hand, keeping himself between the horses and his daughter, in case the mare might not take to the situation. Do you think the foal will look more like her or more like him? He didn't know if such a thing could even be predicted or not.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:47 am

“It relieves my stress,” Vicira replied, a little curter than she had intended. It was not smoking that messed with her mind, when she started to get anxious and irritable. Even now, as her heartbeat thrummed a little too fast in her ribcage, she felt relaxed—comparatively. It helped her not to think about things.

The horsewoman smirked at his answer and nodded, glancing over at the badger-faced stallion. “You’ve done a good job,” she remarked. “But yeah—you know him best, we shouldn’t have any problems.” She was no low-speech master, but she’d been around the horses enough to understand their basic body language and moods. Mysia seemed interested rather than stressed now, even if her heat made her a bit sensitive. Hopefully she didn’t kick Fuerza in the leg—or kick Cartier as he led the stallion over.

“C’mere, cutie,” Vicira managed to yip to Serenity when the girl came over to plant her rump in the grass near her feet. Her smile was a little awkward still as she glanced at the coyote girl, but she reached down to stroke her ears. “The horses are going to make a baby,” she explained to the child—feeling that this was simple enough of an explanation for now, and might stave off any concerned questions. It was how Vici had learned about the concept of sex and reproduction, at least, making later talks with her mothers much less awkward.

She watched Fuerza eagerly assume the position then glanced at her brother, shrugging in answer. “Well, Mysia is an odd color—at least not as common as the normal black, bay, or red that I’ve seen around. There’s a good chance it’ll take Fuerza’s color, but that's just a guess.”

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm

354 Words

What do you have to be stressed out about? He didn't ever think that his sister had ever had any cares in the world. She was the one that always preached to him about taking time to himself and just enjoying life. He thought that was something that she lived every day. He thought that she remained too relaxed to ever be bothered by anything. His sister had never struck him as the type to ever have any concerns but always seemed to just roll with the punches.

"I Ren." The girl stated when she was called cutie. She tilted her head back to look up at Vicira when it was explained to her what was going on. "I keep? I big girl." Ren's tail thumped against the ground at the thought that she could have a baby of her own to raise and take care of. "I had baby kitty but Daddy say he Mommy need back. I big girl. I have my baby."

Cartier remained near to the horses but tried to not pay too much attention to what they were doing but just trying to spot any signs of aggression instead. So far everything seemed to be going fine and he needn't pull Fuerza away. Yeah, I guess he is common. Though his facial marking set him apart. I imagine we will have a feisty foal on our hands though. Given that each of the parents had a fiery sort of temperament.

When the horses were done with their business Cartier led Fuerza away, taking him back over towards the fence. He tied the stallion back up again. I was thinking about taking a trip out at some point and see if I can't find them wild horses that I heard were out there. Things might be settled enough in the South now to risk a trip down there to find one or two. I promise not to bring back the temperamental ones. We need some beginner horses and that is the only place I can think to get them. Unless you want to go begging some pack for their horses.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 am

Vicira flashed her brother an almost disbelieving look, then relaxed the expression with some effort. “The clan,” she said. “Mom. Things that might not ever happen, but I need to be ready for.” She shrugged.

She sank down to the coyote pup’s level and smiled dully until the girl made a quip about keeping the baby horse and how she’d had a kitten, at which point her eyes glinted with amusement. She glanced up at Cartier. “Well, the baby horse won’t be born for a long, long time,” she explained. “It has to grow in the mommy horse’s belly first. The leaves will fall, and snow will come, and spring and summer—and when the leaves fall again, then it will be ready.” She reached out awkwardly to stroke the girl’s large ears. “You’ll be a big, big girl then.” Perhaps the age that she could actually handle a horse, if Fuerza’s get wasn’t too fierce.

Cartier seemed to think this would be the case, and Vici laughed. “Probably. You know I like ‘em feisty though,” she teased, then rose when the man led Fuerza away from the mare. His mention of seeking out new horses gave her pause, and she thought over their stock.

“That’s a bit of a gamble, wild horses,” she said. “That’s how Mysia started out, and she only became this tame after years of work.” She tilted her head, and flushed lightly as she thought of the docile filly she’d traded to the Court. Her ideal Infernian could handle a fiery horse, but she supposed that they needed calmer ones to train on, too. “We could gather a few and see how they turn out. We’ll go to packs if need be, too, but we don’t beg.” She shrugged. “We’ll just show them our superior stock and make a fair trade; we have enough sheep and things to spare.

“Or we could steal them,”
Vicira added, only half joking.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

406 Words

What sort of things? Is there someone that I need to beat up? His mind had immediately jumped onto the worst possible scenario. He had already gone after someone for Vicira before and he would do so again if that is what it took. He would just explain to Jehan that he had some things to take care of and he would go out and do it. Though there was no guarantee that he would make it back, it had taken Jehan's intervention for him to make it back the last time. Why don't you do what you tell me to do? Just relax and not worry so much.

"Wha snow?" The girl asked with a curious tilt to her head. "Wha spring and summer?" More questions followed. She didn't know much about seasons just yet. Snow was certainly something that she had never experienced before. Spring and summer weren't things that had been ingrained yet given her youth. "And then I can has!" The announcement was made proudly when it was stated that she would be a big, big girl by the time that the foal was actually born.

So do I but that doesn't make a good horse for those just starting out. Cartier was always thinking of others ahead of himself, except for this indulgence to breed Fuerza with the knowledge that he likely wouldn't get a beginner's horse. Granted most in Inferni seemed to have a handle on horses. Of course those with an interest in horses had come with prior horse experience. There weren't any real newbies to worry about but still Cartier would rather be prepared for that future possibility. Ren would need an easier horse to start out on when she could shift. Well, she would if she took an interest in horses.

But that is why I have you. You can handle and train all the new horses and make them ready to ride. Just think of all the puppies that need a horse to learn on. Granted most of those puppies belonged to Jehan and himself. But there was still another younger member of Inferni as well.

He shook his head when Vicira mentioned stealing horses. You know stealing is wrong. We can't do that. It would only cause trouble and we don't want another war. Cartier certainly didn't want another war. He had children and he'd rather they not know about such a thing as war.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:10 pm

“You’re so quick to offer to beat people up!” jested Vicira, though her eyes softened. She knew that Cartier would come to her defense if needed; he’d done so before, after all. Even though he didn’t like to fight, he would kill for her, for the clan, and she appreciated this.

“But no,” she admitted, ears twitched back. “Nothing’s happening yet. So maybe you’re right; I should relax, but I’m still worried. Vesper isn’t…” She bit back the harsh words that sprang to mind, knowing how much the Centurion still respected his leader. “She seems paranoid lately. Since the war. I don’t want something to happen to her and for Inferni to be without guidance.”

He might have argued that that was his job, or that the Triumvirate would all more than make up for it, but Vicira had already made her decision to be there, to step up, when things went wrong. And that was a weight to carry on her shoulders; she couldn’t have any help lifting it up.

She distracted herself by speaking to the girl, stroking her ears and explaining. “Snow is cold white stuff that falls from the sky. You see how the ground is covered in leaves? Snow covers the ground, too, and everything is very cold. In spring, the snow melts, and flowers bloom, and by summertime the trees have green leaves again.” It was easier teaching her about things and answering questions than trying to nurture or reassure her.

When Cartier returned to the topic of horses, she frowned and conceded with a nod. She liked her feistier animals, but it was true that not everyone would appreciate them. “Depending on the temperament of this year’s foals, we might have easier ones to ride,” she said. “We’d have to choose the wild ones carefully, though. It takes longer for foals to be ready to ride, but it’s easier to break them since they’re accustomed to Luperci.” It was a trade-off, but she couldn’t deny that new blood would be useful. Sometimes the feral horses produced docile enough animals, at least once they were broken.

Still—it’d be simpler to find new trained adults, but Cartier took issue with this plan. Immediately defensive, Vicira crossed her arms and grimaced. “I’m not suggesting sneaking into another pack and riding off with their animals,” she said. “I don’t want another war either.” She hadn’t meant the idea very seriously, but she delved into the idea now, gesturing. “But a lone wolf with a horse? They can’t fight back. If they let their horse get taken, they deserve it, don’t they?”

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics