ev'rybody wants to be a cat

Storm

POSTED: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:16 pm

OOC: Forward dated a few days.

IC:
Four weeks ago Eliza’s life had grown a little brighter, her bond with Milos cemented in the appearance of two squealing, squawking bundles who had slipped into the world while most of Krokar slept. Their arrival had been quick and relatively smooth, and once again Liz had felt her heart fill with adoration and devotion.

The boys – Logan and Bramble – had arrived in the night, and they seemed unwilling to let Eliza sleep through any night since. Her devotion to her children hadn’t waned over the weeks, but any sense of being rested had diminished to a point where the mother could hardly remember what a full night of sleep felt like. She couldn’t resent the tiny boys their fussing or their persistent hunger – not for a second would she ever resent her puppies the things puppies needed – but, gradually, she was fraying around the edges.

It was that process of growing more and more frazzled which saw Eliza neglect to block the flap which Meerclar had used to come and go from the cottage. Liz was lounging in the bulky armchair with one arm around each pup, and they were resting happily against her.

And then Liz’s eyes opened. She knew within an instant that she had dropped the ball and let herself slip into a light snooze; the fog of sleep was still beckoning her to return, to allow herself to be lured back. For half a second Liz was tempted, so close to being beguiled by the promise of rest.

But as she glanced down to where the pups rested, just to ensure that no harm had been done in her moment of weakness, she realised that only one bundle was nestled against her. She let out a groan as Logan lifted his head from her chest, blinking sleepily.

“Now where’s yer brother got to?”

Liz received only a string of vaguely disapproving vowel sounds in response.

She rose, plopping Logan onto the floor, and started towards the hallway. There, his rump wiggling with as much glee as a rump could wiggle, was Bramble’s back end.

“Bramble Parhelion!” his Mother breathed, half relief and half exasperation. “You en’t no cat! Get back ‘ere now.”

[300+]

Rat
Luperci Mate to Milos as one we are everything we need
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Storm was going out on patrol. He knew that he was not, in the strictest sense of the term, a protector of Krokar, but he’d been slowly working towards it, and perhaps the emphasis should have bene put on the slowly. The day was warm, with blue skies and fluffy white clouds, so the walk would be easy, and there would always be the river not too far away for him to dive into and cool off in, and if that turned into a distraction, well that was a risk he was willing to take.

“You en’t no cat! Get back ‘ere now.”

Eliza’s voice sounded incredibly close, a not totally unsurprising thing as he was passing the house that she shared with Milos. What was a little more surprising was the sight that met his eyes when he looked over. Watching him, with one gold eye and one blue, was a small figure. The pup’s head was crowned with the flap, which squashed down its ears, giving the small thing a definitely pathetic look. His small pink tongue protruded in delight. The small creature’s entire body appeared to be vibrating with a gleeful exuberance. Storm was certain the pup was about to head towards him, but in that instant he disappeared back into the house with a yip of surprise, as though sucked backwards. The flap swung a couple of times, and the scene quickly went back to a minute before, as though the entire scene hadn’t happened. Curiosity piqued, and smile firmly in place, Storm walked up to the door and, after a perfunctory knock, walked in.

The first thing he noticed when he entered was Eliza, and the only word that seemed to bubble in his head to describe her was, frazzled. She looked…tired wouldn’t be quite the right word, perhaps…weary. As though she’d been stretched very thinly. She was clearly having stiff words with the pup she held up in the air, with one hand under his bum, but the little thing appeared to be intent on licking her muzzle, and then trying to suck on it.

Storm, shut the door and cleared his throat softly, something he very rarely did.

”He…looks hungry.”

He finally said, his voice soft, but deeper than one might expect. He rarely spoke, but he was doing his best to try it more often, and in situations like this, inside, with few people, and especially those he was close to, it was getting easier.

Draiko
Luperci Come sit by my fire

POSTED: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:55 pm

A more tender Mother might have fretted over the yip of surprise which emerged from the small boy, but not Eliza. In part she was too annoyed with herself to worry that she had startled him with a sudden yank on his torso – besides, Bramble was half Cormier, and they had always been a rough and ready lot. If the boys wanted any chance of competing with their elder cousins, they would have to learn sooner or later that knocks healed in instants.

“Honestly, you’ll be the death o’ me,” the dog muttered to her odd-eyed son as she hauled him backwards. Bramble turned wide eyes on her, but the twist of his lips told Eliza that any hurt he was displaying was an effort to incur her sympathy more than actual pain. She bent, slipped one arm below his rump and placed the other against his scruff. “What’ve I told ya ‘bout tryin’ to break out o’ the place? D’ya want to have the whole pack searchin’ for ya?” It wasn’t too much of a stretch of the imagination; in fact, Eliza could keenly remember a time when Willow had gone “missing” for an hour or two, and she had nearly roped all of Krokar into looking for the child.

With her son dangling, half supported over one arm, Liz turned to stride back down the hall and deposit her youngest child where she could keep a good eye on him along with his brother. Before she could successfully make much headway, though, there was a sharp rap of knuckles against wood and a tall figure entered the dwelling. Liz watched Storm enter and felt more tired than before. The weight of lack of sleep always seemed to crash down on her fully in company, and though the wolf was family, she was still too stubborn to want to show it.

She offered him a quick nod and the brushing of paws against floorboards told her that Logan was coming to join them in the hallway. Storm did something unexpected then. He cleared his throat and spoke aloud – and even tired Eliza knew that this was something she had to pay attention to.

“Oh,” she murmured, for a moment so stunned by the presence of the words that she didn’t take in their meaning. Then it clicked and she sighed. “Oh, they’re always ‘ungry. Eat us outta house ‘n’ home once they’re weaned proper, no doubt. Don’t s’pose ya got food on ya?”

[400+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:26 pm

The gaze of the winter storm eyed Cormier took in the female he’d had such an unusual relationship with, and who he loved more than many. The fiery mum was precious to him, and he was glad that the fates, or the gods, or whatever decided these things, had been gracious enough to allow him to meet her. She looked tired though, and while she might have been able to hide it from anyone else, Storm’s reading of other’s body language border on the psychic. He could see the small tremors in her muscles and a stance that made her appear a little heavier, as though pressed down by a great weight. He made sure the door was closed behind him, for the pups’ sake and his own. It was hard for him to speak, but when it was in private, and with someone he trusted, it was far easier. Once again there was a brief clearing of his throat and he spoke again.

”You…you look tired I…” it felt like pushing a boulder up a hill, his heart had begun to pound with the effort, but all he did was close his eyes for a moment before continuing. ”I have dried fish…If you sit down I…can cook for you.”

After another moment he smiled to Eliza, a shy smile, embarrassed that something that came so easily to everyone, felt like such an achievement to him each time he did it.

Bramble, who was clearly bored with the whole affair and realising that, he wasn’t going to get a chance to get out, he was hungry, and possibly worst of all, no longer was the centre of attention, chose that moment to let out a high-pitched, loud and sustained yowl of protest. Storm flinched at the sharpness of the sound in the small home.

Draiko

POSTED: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am

Liz felt tired; she looked it, too, and she knew it. Storm was good at reading her – better than most, in fact, having not only years of practice under his belt but a spectacular ability to read body language – and, by now, they had been so many things to each other that Eliza probably shouldn’t have bothered trying to hide it. It was just more expended energy. But her pride managed to trump even that realisation.

She hooked Bramble’s chubby front legs over her arm and pinned his back, small rolls of fat and all, against her chest, and groaned.

“Ya could at least act like I’m doin’ a good job o’ hidin’ it,” the dog muttered. It should have been a stronger accusation than it was, but she was too glad to hear Storm speak, too proud of her little adoptive brother, to inject much venom into her tone.

The mention of food completely derailed any objection she might have had to what Storm had said previously, and she offered a brisk and eager nod, finally allowing him a grin. “Sittin’ down sounds like a good start. C’mon through.”

Bram chose that moment to let out a piercing protest. Liz’s fingers twitched, but she resisted clamping a hand round his muzzle. “Hush, Bram.” Her tone was firm – something she’d learned she had to be with these boy puppies – not the plea or coo it might have been with Willow.

Logan, meanwhile, was winding himself around Storm’s lower legs, surprisingly catlike. With a flick of her wrist, Eliza beckoned them both into the largest room of the house where she sank gratefully back into her ugly armchair.

“So,” she began, her voice more like its usual chirp. “This is new.” She waved a hand but went no further towards clarifying what she meant.

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:52 pm

The small rolly polly bundle in Liz’s arms stopped his yowling abruptly, appearing to be visibly shocked that anyone would have the audacity to speak to him like that and unsure as to how to react. Storm didn’t mind, whatever it took to stop the piercing nature of the high pitched noise. The winter storm eyed male flicked his ears, trying to dislodge the sound, and as Eliza turned to go back into the other room, Storm scooped up the remaining pup and sniffed him. It was a greeting and a curious pack mate, wanting to remember the smell of a new member. This one appeared to enjoy being scooped from the floor and held, nuzzling around curiously. A smile quirked Storm’s lips and he remembered how small Willow had once been.

The wintry eyed Cormier came into the room and was surprised to see Eliza already in her chair, and Bramble utterly motionless on her lap. He appeared to be dead he was so still, laying on his back, his eyes closed and legs akimbo. Eliza was scratching his tummy. Ah, perfect control. Storm placed Logan near Eliza on her chair and began assembling things quickly, while he listened to her question.

Storm coughed again before answering.

”I…want to talk more…”

He said, his expression abashed, and showing a little shame.

I’m not a pup anymore, I’m an adult, and more than that, I’m a dad. It’s stupid that I don’t talk more.

He said lamely, as he gestured his way through the remainder of the speech. He assembled what he needed to make a fish stew, reducing goat’s milk to make a sauce and using salt from the dried meat. While he was no cook for the pack, Storm enjoyed cooking. Like music and singing it was creative, but it was quiet and he could express himself through it, not that he trumpeted this particular ability.

Has Milos been helping out? How’s he holding up?

Storm asked, continuing to sign his question.

Draiko

POSTED: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Mercifully, Bramble seemed to know that when Eliza stilled it was either an opportunity to feed more or to relax – though in this instance the wiry dog wasn’t quite sure whether he was truly relaxed or cowed into behaving himself by her sternness. He certainly appeared to be relishing the scratch of her nails against his belly, still thinly thinly furred in places, and pleasantly rounded. The boys weren’t suffering from a lack of sustenance at all – it was only Liz who was suffering from fatigue, unused to having two children to keep out of trouble.

Liz nodded her thanks to Storm and slid her other arm around Logan’s paler body, scratching the base of his tail. It caused the slightly larger boy to wiggle, but Logan had always been quieter than Bram – more sensible, if such a thing could be attributed to such a young pup.

“Well I’d hope nobody was forcin’ ya,” the dog remarked, some of her typical mischief glinting in her acorn eyes. She shrugged, drawing her boys closer to her. “Has its benefits – like readin’ people. Never known someone so canny wi’ body language.”

Her chocolatey nose twitched and she inhaled the scent of the cooking gratefully, straightening her back a little in the chair. Curiousity ignited in her gaze; truthfully, Eliza wasn’t too sure how Storm and Milos had mended their friendship, or when – the Austringer troubles and the meteor had been more than enough to worry about in the prior months, and she had fallen pregnant not long after all that had subsided – but she was glad of it.

Of course, she wouldn’t let Storm know just how glad. She didn’t want to somehow jinx it.

“’e can’t do enough fer us,” she responded, trying to cover some of her gushing tone with the air of a complaint. “Already huntin’ for ‘em, even though they’re barely weanin’. Never wakes me up when I’m asleep – can’t complain ‘bout that.” She smiled. “Think it’s all a bit overwhelmin’ for him, though. Well, both of us – never had two to be in charge of b’fore, ‘n’ as you know, I weren’t that fond of kids a couple o’ years ago – Willow’s doin’, that.” A yawn struck her, shaking her shoulders. “Couldn’t’ve asked fer a better kid, could we?”

[381]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

POSTED: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:42 am

It didn’t take the winter storm eyed Cormier much time at all to get the stew underway. He’d been in the small house often enough to know where everything was, and he seasoned the food with what meagre things he carried with him, including a little bit of precious salt. As he cooked he listened to Eliza speak, even with his eyes on the stew he could hear the fatigue in her tone.

”No.” he said, coughing a little as he answered Eliza.

Willow had been the best thing to ever happen to Storm, the greatest gift Eliza had ever given him, and she’d been perfect from the day of her birth. There had obviously been ups and downs, but they weren’t living in a story. Still Storm could remember the many sleepless nights he’d spent worrying if he’d be a good enough dad, if he could protect his pup, and then when she’d arrived, he’d worried where she was, and if she was okay, and the weariness had been so deep that even sleep hadn’t done much, but it was worth it, it was all worth it.

Storm heard an odd intermittent whistle then and turned around to Eliza. It appeared that the pup in her lap, who’d had his eyes closed had been prepared to spring as soon as the scratching had stopped, because it was only now that Storm noticed the pudgy thing was utterly relaxed and clearly asleep, the whistling was coming from that pup. That was another thing about them, running around the place one moment and the next, they were asleep.

Food will be ready soon he gestured It needs to reduce down a little bit

Storm offered Eliza the rest of his dried meat, it would at least keep the knowing hunger at bay until the food was ready.

Have you taken them outside to meet he pack yet? I’m guessing the one at the cat flap enjoys being outside?

Storm opened his mouth, his tongue lolling out in one of his silent laughs.

Draiko

POSTED: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Eliza knew that after his grand adventure to the cat flap Bramble’s energy would wane. She could feel it even before the pup could – that telling sensation of his pudgy body sinking into her chest, his limbs relaxing and his breathing slowing and evening out. Like an addict crashing down from a high, it didn’t take very long at all for her sons to go from haring around to deeply asleep. She supposed that was the compensation for her own lack of rest lately.

The dog wasn’t sure if Storm had stopped speaking aloud in an effort not to disturb Bramble’s sudden lapse into slumber, but she wasn’t about to complain. As much as it made her proud to see him making an effort to be vocal, she knew that it could only be on his terms.

The other pup, Logan, had curled up now with his chin on his large paws. He remained awake, but he simply watched the adults interact rather than embarking on any adventures of his own.

Eliza accepted the dried meat with less gratitude and more hunger than she had expected, but she made no apologies for tearing into it as if she hadn’t eaten in weeks. Even Logan seemed to understand his Ma’s need for a bit of peace and some food in her belly, for he didn’t try to pinch the meat from her hand.

“Reck’n bein’ outside would lose its shine pretty sharpish if it were my idea,” she mused, knowing how contrary Bram could be. “They’ve not met many Krokaran yet – their cousins ‘n’ their Uncles ‘n’ Aunt, mostly just fam’ly. Whole lot o’ em gone off to Old Ironsides, en’t they? ‘n’ a bunch o’ new faces turned up – c’n barely get me head ‘round who’s left who’d want to meet ‘em.”

Nvda had gone to the Depot; Hazel, too, though the Collie mix was rumoured to be returning before too long. Where Eliza had once prided herself on knowing all the ins and outs of Krokar, her love of gossip had taken a back seat to her love of her children, at least for now.

[300+]

Rat
MOTORMOUTH
Don't Stop Me Now

Dead Topics