Just feel that summer breeze, the way it's calling me

Milos; BD Sept 13th

POSTED: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Optime | Backdated: Sept 13th, Morning | Aster’s Fields (+625)

Sorry it took me so long to get this up! Lemme know if anything needs changing!

Of all of the packs and places they’d visited, she was pretty sure Krokar ranked pretty high on the list. The members were nice and friendly—though, a few of their accents were hard to understand sometimes—and the area in general had a peaceful feel to it. The siblings had arrived the day before and had sought for a temporary stay while they regained their strength for the long haul home. Perhaps it was their pack, or, maybe more so who their parents were that had allowed the border meeting to go as well as it had.

Garren, the male that the girls had been traveling with since they left the Halcyon Mountains, had split off from their party before they’d arrived at Krokar. Teagan couldn’t have been happier to be rid of the handsome male. Indi had learned what she needed to from him, and, as far as Teagan was concerned, he could stay lost to the wilds that he’d once come.

Teagan had risen early, eager to help pay back Krokar for their hospitality as soon as possible. The last thing the sisters needed was to be viewed as freeloaders, or, worse, put a sour taste in everyone’s mouth about Cavaliers. They needed to make a good impression, and, that meant getting to work. She’d left her falcon, Agrona, with Indi. The koi-colored sister was exhausted, so, Teagan had let her sleep in. If she woke up, Agrona would be there to tell her were Teagan had run off to.

She had little worry that the pack would like the Knight. Her bright personality made her likeable by just about everyone. Teagan, on the other hand, was more sedate and rough to deal with. Her only hope in making sure Krokar didn’t think her ungrateful was to pitch in physically. So, the Stryder teen had set off for the fields and barn just south of Fiskebyn. If any place would need help, she was sure it’d be around where they kept their livestock.

It’d been a short distance to cover, and the sun was still low on the horizon by the time she’d arrived. Dew still coated the grass, and anyone with decent tracking skills could have followed her trail to the fields. The air was still cool, but, there was that subtle hint that the day would be as warm as the ones before it had been.

It surprised her how many different animals the pack had. Sure, they had the usual horses, sheep, and chickens, but, they also had goats, large pigs, two very hairy cows, and then a very unfriendly goose. Teagan had never been afraid of birds before, but, the sight of a large, white, clearly-pissed-off bird charging towards her hissing, wings spread, and with a wide, demonic-looking mouth had sent the large wolfdog stumbling backwards from the fence line. Needless to say, she’d abandoned observing the animals from that side of the various pens.

Her avoidance of the deranged goose had brought her to lean against the fencing on the opposite side of the field. A group of strange, elk-like animals were corralled there. The Cavalier had never seen anything quite like them before. They were relatively short, possibly the size of a small deer, but without the graceful and elegant appearance of one. They all had antlers despite some of them missing the obvious bits that told them being male or female. The antlers were strangely structured too. They were long and swept backwards like an elk, but, they had large, flat surfaces here and there like a moose.

Teagan hummed, unsure of what to make of the strange creatures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:50 pm

OOC: Thank you for starting, Song! <3

Bleary of eye and foggy of mind, Milos emerged from the full house he shared with his family and rubbed away the accumulated crust with his knuckles. He yawned into the morning and scratched his chin. From across Fiskebyn, where lay Aster's Fields and Briar Patch, the unmistakable sound of a goat rose into the late season air. The Quartermaster sighed and, with a final contrite look at the door against his back, stepped out into the village and carried himself toward the fields on sluggish legs.

But as tired as he was, Milos knew that Eliza, who had scarcely left their cottage since the boys were born and continued to give them all her time, was beyond exhausted. At little more than 2 weeks old, Logan and Bramble had just opened their eyes but were still largely dependent on Liz for just about everything. Milos did what he could to help her, spending many hours of careful concentration hunting to feed her and watching his sons so his mate could rest, but what the puppies needed most Milos could not provide: mother's milk.

As he walked, shuffling his feet through against trodden earth, a ruckus erupted from beyond. A groan slipped between his lips and Milos picked up his pace, recognizing that the source of the noise: The General. Idly, he wondered who had generated such a reaction from the territorial goose this time. With Hazel off in search of a suitable trading depot and Eliza housebound, there were few others who dared risk Honks' vocal distaste for trespassers.

When at last he arrived, Amara's lonely solo became a chorus as the other goats joined in her pleading song. He shook his head and started towards them but a shape at the caribou's fenceline slowed his trajectory. Milos paused, shielding his bright eyes from the rising sun with a hand. It was one of Krokar's visitors — Lyris' daughter, Teagan. Ignoring the goats' bossy bleats, the Quartermaster changed directions instead toward the caribou.

"Strange things, en't they?" he called out when he was near enough, a smile bright on his face. "Your ma ever tell ya 'bout 'em? Caribou?" A chuckle escaped his throat and he rested his forearms against the wooden fence next to Teagan, his eyes on the herd.

[WC — 387]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:47 pm

(+343)

Sorry if this sucks >___< Let me know if you need some more to make a post!

There was one, a large one, that regarded her with an almost stern look. It was a look that Teagan likened to a stag or bull elk might have when they spotted or heard something that might harm their harem of females. She liked to think that it was a male—likely the dominate male of the herd—but, she couldn’t tell with the way its body was positioned in reference to her spot along the fence line. It stood rigidly while the others continued to feed, some, in spurts as they gave the stranger their attention, others, without interruption.

Her quiet musing was interrupted as the goats suddenly started bleating loudly. Her head turned to find the source of the sudden commotion amongst the hardy animals. She recognized the new arrival instantly by his dark coat and ivory accents. It was Milos, a friend of her mother’s. Teagan offered the older male a small, welcoming smile as he diverted his course into her direction. “Good morning,” she greeted politely and loudly across the distance still between them.

Teagan smirked at his question, turning her head back towards the strange animals. His accent still threw her off a bit, but, the words were understandable nonetheless. “Is that what they’re called?” She mused under her breath. Finally, she had a name for the alien-like creatures. Remember his question, she shook her head negatively. “No, sir, and the only thing I’ve seen that comes close to them are elk, and…well…” Teagan shrugged sheepishly. “We eat those, not keep them as livestock.”

As the words fell from her mouth, a question suddenly came to mind. Her canary eyes moved to Milos. “What do you use them for anyway? And where did you all even get them? I’ve never seen one before.” In all of her travels up until the girls’ recent road trip, she had never seen a caribou wandering the wilds. Had they been imported into the area? Or were they abundant in this part of the world?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:07 am

OOC: Not at all, love! <3 Sorry for the length on this! D: You definitely do no need to match it. <3

They were polite and industrious, these young ladies of Lyris'. It had been to his disappointment that he hadn't the chance to meet them during the leadership summit that Casa di Cavalieri had held last spring, but children were busy and there had been a great deal else to distract him as well. But this. Milos grinned, the bottoms of his aging canines peeking out from between dark lips. This was a genuine treat. After all, it wasn't a common occurrence that a stranger's call at the borders turned out to be an old friend's pair of pups!

He passed bright eyes over the field and settled them upon Teagan's masked face. And how very much like her this youth was, too! His mirth crinkled the corners of his eyes.

"Reckon your ma'd argue th' same for this lot too," he chirped through a chuckle, allowing a moment of consideration to slink sluggishly along. Turning to watch the caribou again, Milos pointed at one of the darker bulls with a dreadful scar running along his left flank. "See th' dark'un there?" he asked Teagan. Jack lifted his head slowly, as though summoned, and flicked one oblong ear to dislodge a pesky parasite. "Your ma almost took 'im for a meal one time." The humor in his voice suggested that the memory, though potentially catastrophic, had resulted instead in amusement.

Cheerfully, Milos told Teagan the story about his second meeting with her mother, in which a pleasant spot of foraging had very nearly ended in the death of a beloved communal caribou. "She was still livin' in New Dawn then, back when New Dawn was still around." He paused, gazing distantly at the grazing cervids. With a flick of his head, he turned back to the young woman. The smile on his face brightened. "Dunno if your ma's still quiet convinced 'bout 'em herself," he said with a laugh. "But we don't eat 'em if we can help it."

Their eyes — those two shades of fire and light; of autumn and sun and warmth — met suddenly and, though he was quiet, Milos' glee grew. "We use their milk sometimes t' make cheese'n any fur that comes off 'em is useful in clothin', he began, when it was clear that her volley of questions was finished. "But it's their antlers that're most useful. We use 'em for all kinds o' crafts: handles'n needles'n all kinds o' crafts. Caribou drop their antlers at diff'rent times o' th' year d'pendin' on if they're girls'r boys, so there en't much in th' way o' shortage."

Jack, who had slowly been inching nearer and nearer the pair of them since he heard Milos' voice, finally closed the distance less inconspicuously. His first priority was to harass the Drover for snacks, which ended fruitfully when Milos managed to conjure a lone sliver of dried apple. The caribou snatched it up greedily before turning bravely to Teagan. "Good at pullin' carts'n wagons too, same's horses," he continued while patting Jack's shaggy neck.

Of the their origin, Milos could only provide the Cavalier with the story he'd heard. "Long time ago, b'fore Lucille'n Gus formed Krokar, their old pack had 'em. Think it was Taseko, one o' our Herdsmen, that brought 'em down from further north, an' when Krokar was formed th' caribou came with 'em. 'Seko says they're all over th' place north o' here, as abundantly as deer." Milos looked at the girl again. "It's okay if ya wanna pet 'im. Jack'd prob'ly love ya for it."

[WC — 600]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:00 am

(+689)

Hahaha! No worries! I write giant rambles all the time, so, yours was nothin’ but pleasant reading<33 Also, sorry for the wait and that this is all over the place! Had to work basically all week last week >___<

She snorted in agreement to Milos’ statement about Lyris. “Probably,” she chuckled as well. If there hadn’t been a fence around them and it not obvious that they were property and not some wild animals, the caribou might have very well run the risk of being hunted down by someone such as she, or, a superb huntress like her mother. Even then, there were few animals that weren’t used for meat or some other secondary purpose. Back home, only horses and the falcons were spared from slaughter.

Teagan’s attention moved away from him as he pointed out to one of the caribou. It was the large one of the group that that she had been looking at before. Her head returned sharply to the Krokaran when he mentioned her mother having an altercation with the caribou. Her brows knitted in concern, particularly given the scar she could see on the caribou’s flank even from their distance. Even with the lightness of his tone, the Stryder couldn’t help but to worry for the pack’s livestock animal.

It was not necessary though, as it appeared that Lyris had never touched the bull. Milos explained the event, and Teagan found herself laughing. “That sounds just like Mom.” She continued to chuckle as she thought about the story he’d told her. Milos was lucky he hadn’t been shot. Her mother was as fierce as they came, and moving between her and her prey would have been a death wish for any other Luperci.

She shrugged, grinning at the older man when he spoke of her mother once again. “Probably not. She’d probably say it was unnatural or something,” she chuckled. Her mother was a traditionalist in so many ways.

He went on to answer her question, and, it appeared that the caribou had a slew of useful things other than being food on the table. Teagan’s gaze turned to observe the caribou with a little more respect. “Huh,” she grunted, amused and surprised by what Milos had told her. From the looks of them, they didn’t appear any more valuable than a deer carcass; food, skin, bones. She wondered if her pack would ever consider trying to tame deer down in their part of the world. Antlers were highly valuable, though, were usually only able to be salvaged by chance luck or by killing a buck. To have a reliable resource of them would be beneficial.

Canary eyes watched with a bit of caution as the big male gradually made his way over. She had never dealt with the animals before, and thus didn’t know what it had in mind by approaching the fence line. The caribou appeared nothing but friendly though as it took a piece of hidden fruit from Milos and allowed the dark male to pat its neck. Despite its dark eyes focusing on her, she dared not reach out in fear that it might spook easily. “So they’re basically like all the farm animals tied into one creature?” Teagan summarized; horses for labor, goats and cows for milk, sheep for wool.

Milos revealed the small herd’s origin, and his story left the teen curious of what the lands were like further north. Perhaps, on a different adventure across the land, Teagan and Indi could explore up there too. The Krokaran either sensed Teagan’s insecurity or knew the antlered beast’s wants when he suggested she pet the thing—Jack.

She couldn’t help but to offer the older Luperci a skeptical glance. “He’s not going to turn on me, is he?” She asked, half joking, half serious. Her gaze shifted pointedly at the antlers atop Jack’s skull. She had never considered petting a deer, elk, or moose before, and the business end of a buck or bull were best left avoided unless one wanted a quick, emergency trip to the Medico.

Not one to let someone to give anyone an opportunity to doubt her bravery though, Teagan found herself reaching out, slowly, as if she were trying to touch a skittish horse.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 pm

OOC: <333 But ew RL responsibilities tho :<

Teagan's solo chuckle was joined with the sound of his own, creating a duet of laughter. He flashed her a knowing look and nodded vigorously, his yellowing fangs glinting dully in the daylight. "Reckon that was 'bout her exact wordin' too!" he replied cheerfully. It wasn't so difficult for him to hear Lyris' voice now, if only imagined, through that of her daughter's. "'Cept with more of a scowl." A gentler chuckle slipped between his lips.

"Ah but she's a good woman, your ma." When he found Teagan's golden gaze again, there was affection in the depths of his own molten eyes. "Was glad t' see her again, down at th' Summit. She looked good — happy." He paused, shifting his gaze to the caribou. Somehow thinking about Lyris reminded him of Sorcha. He suppressed the wave of grief bubbling in his heart with a broad smile and glanced sidelong at Teagan. "Don't s'pose you'n your sister've got anythin' t' do with that, huh?" He offered the youth another wink.

Of the little-known uses that caribou had, it appeared to Milos that the young Stryder was perhaps impressed. Or, in the very least, interested. He considered her summary of their worth with an upward glance and pursed lips, which he tapped characteristically with one ivory finger. Finally he nodded. "Reckon I like your thinkin', Teag'n," he chirped, grinning. "Bonus antlers for tools'n crafts'n such, a'course." It seemed about the only thing that Krokar's caribou weren't good for was riding.

As he twined calloused fingers through the bull's coarse neck, Milos could feel the skeptical glance from his younger companion. His lips quirked sharply but he shook his head all the same. "Not Jack," he promised, turning his head find Teagan's face. "This'un — well, all th' caribou, really — they're all use t' us. But Jack — he's 'specially friendly. En't like t' turn on ya." His smile warmed. "Promise."

Conjuring a final morsel of dried fruit from he depths of his shorts, Milos offered it to Teagan and watched as Jack turned his velveteen lips towards her.

[WC — 366]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:19 pm

(+613)

@____@ Bracket hell is over, but I’m still so far behind, I’m sorry! On a different note, that moment when you want to compare something to a dog, but remember that THEY’RE “dogs” xDD

Teagan let out a sharp breath of air at the dark male’s comment about her mother, her grin widening. She was more like her mother than she knew, and, when Milos brought up the white-furred Cavalier scowling, the young Stryder couldn’t help but to let out another bark of laughter. That was her mother to the T! And, if she cared to think more of it and how similar mother and daughter were, it could have been her as well.

“She is,” she agreed as her laughter died down with Milos speaking again. She nodded as he continued, positive that her mother probably thought the same of him when she’d seen the Krokaran. When his gaze moved to look at the caribou once more, Teagan’s followed. She was content to watch the deer-like creatures, finding an odd comfort in her current company beside her. Perhaps it was his personality, or, maybe it was because they had a shared relationship through her mother. Either way, she’d found herself more open towards him than she usually was with strangers.

Her mismatched ears flickered when he asked her a rhetorical question. A side glance caught him winking in that knowing, adult way, and, had Teagan been less like her mother, she might have blushed at being considered so important to someone. She covered up her feelings in a scoff, quickly averting her gaze from Milos. “Nah, I think Indi and I give her more heart problems than anything with how much trouble we’ve gotten in to.” She snickered quietly to herself, recalling the various near-death situations both sisters had run into before they’d even reached a year old.

It wasn’t long before her eyes returned to Milos once more though. “So, better than all of them combined,” she smirked as she corrected herself. The caribou were pretty much a golden goose as far as she was concerned. They had all the benefits of separate livestock all rolled into one creature. Why they weren’t universally owned and used, Teagan couldn’t even begin to explain other than perhaps them being hard to obtain.

Milos reassured her of the caribou’s friendliness, and, hesitantly, Teagan let her outstretched hand continue its path. With her other hand, she received the piece of dried fruit Milos had offered and held it out under the caribou’s nose. The creature’s warm breaths spread out across her hand before it tickled her palm as it accepted the food. Her other hand gently stroked the short fur along Jack’s muzzle as the caribou happily ate the fruit.

It was strange, to pet something that was alive that resembled a deer. The fur along the caribou’s snout was much like their own, bristle-like, but smooth. The longer she pet Jack, the more the cervidae seemed to enjoy the attention, and Teagan chuckled. Her canary eyes turned to Milos. “For something that looks like it could poke holes in me, he’s pretty tame.” She’d been taught from a young age to generally avoid the business end of anything that had antlers or horns, so, it was a bit odd to be so close to something like the caribou.

“What kind of upkeep do you all have with them?” It was the best way she figured she could word, “I need to find a way to pay Krokar off for letting Indi and I stay here” without outright saying it. She just hoped her hinted question was understood by the older male in that she wanted to help out if there was anything that needed to be done.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Though he sometimes appeared to have a wealth of knowledge about the caribou, Milos was quick to admit that he was no Herdsman. Taseko and Eliza alone held that title and the Quartermaster was happy to defer to their knowledge about their shaggy, horned cervids before considering his own word gospel. But with Liz tending to their boys, who were only a couple short weeks old, and 'Seko off for some much-deserved rest, Milos was happy to offer what knowledge he had to their young visitor.

Watching with a warm smile as Teagan offered Jack the morsel of fruit, he wondered what Lyris would have thought of this exchange. Though the young woman appeared hesitant about the bull caribou, Milos thought that she was considerably more accepting and interested than her mother would have been in the same situation. The idea of it created a tickle in his chest that bubbled into his throat and released itself from his smiling mouth in a gentle chuckle. "Jack's a sucker for Luperci," he replied brightly, offering the youth another wink. "'Specially Lupeci with treats."

Swinging his head away from Teagan to observe Jack again, Milos considered her subsequent question some curiosity. He tilted his head, then looked back at the younger Cavalier with a shrug. "En't much, honestly," he replied unhelpfully. "Take care o' themselves mostly, food'n shelter-wise. Need plenty o' socializin' though, t' get 'em used t' Luperci, 'specially them youngsters." As though an idea struck him, Milos widened his eyes and looked at Teagan more pointedly. "Don't s'pose you'n your sister'd want t' help us socialize them calves, would ya?" he asked cheerfully. "It'd help for 'em t' get used t' strangers'n such too. Wouldn't need t' do much — jus' be 'round 'em'n give 'em treats'n such. What do ya think?"

[WC — 315]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 pm

(+327)

Sorry for the delay Dx We can start archiving this one if you want since it’s pretty old?

The Parhelion seemed to find something particularly humorous, eventually revealing that the caribou before them was a rather easily pleased beast. She offered Jack an almost skeptical glance, torn between judging the poor thing as something of fickle loyalty or a just a horse in a different body. In the end, she found herself musing over the thought of Jack being particularly bribed with treats. The idea reminded her of the girls’ recent travel companion up until they’d ventured into Krokar; and went along the train of thought of, “typical male.”

Her question about the caribous’ upkeep was surprising. They seemed rather simple, much easier to handle than a horse, sheep, or chicken, that was for sure. Just food and shelter? Again, she was forced to wonder why the strange creatures weren’t more abundant amongst the other packs. The catch, it seemed, was getting the caribou used to Luperci in general. “Are they flighty or aggressive?” She assumed the calves—fawns, foals, she wasn’t sure what the baby form would be referred to as—would be more fearful of a Luperci, but, perhaps she was wrong.

Lambs, foals, and chicks didn’t seem to have much fear of the Cavaliers, though, thinking about it, they were probably a great deal more domesticated than the caribou.

Teagan’s attention moved to Milos as he asked a question of her. Her brows raised in surprise to what was suggested. “Uh, sure!” She agreed easily. Taking a glance towards the Fiskebyn, she shook her head negatively. “It’s probably too early for Indi still,” she said, giving the Krokaran an apologetic glance. “I’ve been getting her up before the crack of dawn for most of our journey here, so, I figured it’d be good for her to sleep in, if that’s alright?”

She gave Jack a few more parting scratches before moving away from the fence, eager to move to wherever the calves were.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:15 pm

His nose of velvet snuffled hopefully at the stranger, eager for more sweet morsels. What he received instead — a few measly parting scratches — appeared to disappoint the caribou. Milos scoffed at Jack as the caribou shook his majestic crown, shaggy neck swinging like a pendulum, and pushed the bull's nose playfully away. "'Seko'll kill me'f we gave ya more treats," he said to the dark caribou, who flicked his tail and snorted. "'Sides, th' rest o' these're for th' young'uns. Go on now, Jack."

But the caribou remained firm, blinking elegant lashes over dark eyes that he held steadily upon Teagan's face. Shaking his head with amusement, Milos gestured for the young Cavalier to follow and lead her across the pasture. Jack followed slowly behind, ever hopeful for more treats.

"Can be," Milos replied honestly, continuing their conversation. "'Specially durin' breedin' season in th' fall."" The Quartermaster pointed to an old, scarred bull in the herd, his antlers like spears over his head. "Isku's th' lead bull," Milos began. "If he senses a threat — be it predator'r Luperci — he'll protect th' herd. But th' cows'r 'specially protective of their calves, too. They can be dangerous if they feel threatened." Isku continued to watch the pair approach but lowered his head again to graze, apparently comforted by the fact that this stranger was with a well-established member of the pack.

"All th' cows'r used t' us, though. Reckon there en't like t' be a problem. Just go slow, let 'em get used t' ya, offer 'em treats." He grinned, slowing as they approached a golden-hued cow and her new calf. Malina flared her nostrils, sucking in the scent of one familiar figure and one stranger. Next to her, the calf watched them uncertainly. "Hey Malina," Milos said to her brightly, reaching out to offer her a treat. She hesitated only a moment before stepping towards him to snuffle up the offering. Behind them, Jack watched on as though jealous. He patted her neck. "This's Teagan — gonna stay with us a while."

Whether or not the caribou understood, or really even cared, Milos would never know but the cow appeared more relaxed and that, in turn, made her calf more relaxed as well. The youngster took a tentative step forward, nose sniffing at the sweet treats being offered to her mother.

OOC: Yup! Sounds good. :) We can end here if you like, or you could throw in one more reply. Either way, feel free to request archival whenever. <3

[WC — 404]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics