[m] Through the fields of Ohio, as the sunshine claims them

Thread prompt #3

POSTED: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:35 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Thread prompt: Fall makes for some beautiful colors in the deciduous trees -- take a moment to admire them with a fellow Infernian, and relax in the wonder of fall together! Play in some fallen leaves or just enjoy the scenery -- your thread should center around autumn's full swing.

Basilio Lykoi
I've done everything as you say. I've followed your rules to the tee.

Word Count 328 ✦ Charon's landing.

It was last year in the midst of fall that Basilio had first met Crucifix and gotten the chance to take her to the flowery fields where they'd come across the wolf and she'd had a near anxiety attack before the invader. During the time that had slipped between now and then, he had courted her and now they were mates. The autumn was in full spring, the shifting colors of the leaves changing with the ever flowing season.

The weather was cooler at his fur, barely caught between hot or cold, but just right. The constant shift of the seasons had brought about some change within his fur that grew thicker each year around this time, though gave way to a more coarse nature as time bore on.

He stood in the center of Charon's Landing amidst the trees and overgrown pines, where the strawberries had already fallen and been eaten by animals and canines alike. While there was no particular reason for his visit here today, other than walking around to waste some of the rare, but well deserved free time he'd taken after his patrol, he had found peace within the thick bushels around him.

Piles of leaves had grown around the closest trees, pushed around him, making the land around them soft but also treacherous. He had already nearly tripped twice, though he couldn't help but laugh it off. As typical of him, he wore his usual red-leather armor, his staff tied to his shoulder where normally, his sword might have had its own place.

While the staff was heavier and also a nuisance since it sometimes caught branches as he passed through them or on the ground if he stooped too low, it was one of the few weapons he could use that wouldn't have killed an intruder and after so many fights and battles in his recent past, he had no intention of letting blood stain his hands unless that blood came from his many hunts.

Last edited by Basilio Lykoi on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Dead
Dread
Luperci
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:45 am

Serenity was enraptured by the fallen leaves.

“Papa, look!” she exclaimed, and leaped into one of the nearest piles—ones that would only continue to grow in size as the autumn went on. The palette of the forest was rich reds and golds and browns, and Jehan knew that he might disappear if he fell into the right pile. He entertained the thought, at least until his daughter called at him again, and he laughed and chased after her.

“I’m looking, I’m looking,” the man woofed, and she wagged her dark-tipped tail and pranced ahead of him.

“They’re so pretty,” Serenity said, and leaped into one of the piles—her paws drawn to her chest and her aim true. Her face and forepaws disappeared in the pile, and Jehan watched her with his head cocked to one side, thinking. A couple months shy of six, she resembled an adolescent coyote more than anything; her winter coat was growing in, with her rich adult colors, the agouti greys and tawnies proper for her. She looked more coyote than most of the Lykois even did.

He wondered about her and what the clan would think of her as compared to his blood offspring, but he tried to tell himself it didn’t matter. Serenity didn’t seem to care that her papa and siblings were different.

He blinked at a yip. She was looking at him, tail wagging low. “Y’alright, Papa?”

Jehan smirked. “Yeah.”

“Good, ‘cos you’re boring me,” she carried on dramatically. “Let’s go!

He acquiesced, feeling old all of a sudden. They’d traveled some fair distance from the mansion, farther than he generally liked to roam unless training, into the heart of clan territory. Serenity had been insistent on drawing her papa out, though, and she sniffed around and pounced on the tiny piles eagerly, big ears swiveling.

After a while, as the coast formed a stark backdrop to the pines and dotted deciduous trees, most jealously hanging on to a majority of their colorful apparel, Serenity yapped again and scurried around indecisively.

“Hi! Hey! Are you patrollin’?”

Jehan padded to her side, glancing at the tiny, dark coyote who she’d spotted, and at once grimaced and pinned his ears fearfully.
The coyote girl, noticing this, jumped to her father’s side and blinked. “Papa?”

“It’s fine, Ren.”

She pressed against his calf and tilted her head.

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Basilio Lykoi

Word Count 350 ✦ Charon's landing.

It was easy to feel old when you had young around you, especially if you actually were old or you had injuries or scars that made you seem as such. For Basilio, he had both, though no one young around him, though he hoped frivolously that that would one day change with Crucifix and himself. He did not really expect to see anyone out here aside from those that normally ventured off to hunt, or even Crucifix, since he knew that she sometimes liked to collect herbs and vegetation from this particular area.

It brought the best yields, especially in fall and the end of summer. Seeing him drudged up the anger he had exhibited that day, the way he had felt when he'd heard of the lie that had been passed on to his mate.

He did his best, however, to hide it from his face in turn. Prayer often helped in situations like this, though he had no real time to prepare himself other than to cross his arms and peer at the taller, one armed dog. "A surprise seeing the both of you here," the Bellator said, hiding the tension from his voice. "I finished patrolling. I was just admiring the changing colors on the trees and the smell of the fruit dropping in this area," he answered the little girl, watching as she moved to hide herself from Basilio with Jehan's nearly vivid display of fear. He barely knew the outsider. The last time he'd seen him had been under bad circumstances, though he knew inwardly that if he let it settle that way, Crucifix would scold him.

"No hard feelings, right, Jehan?" he asked, lifting a hand to lightly scratch fingers through his boyishly cut hair. "I'm sorry about what happened, what I said to you, for threatening you. I was wrong." Apologies weren't easy, especially admitting when one was wrong. Either way, they had both turned things sour. Despite the fact that Basilio had tried apologizing back then when the board had fallen, Jehan had still overreacted and in the end, had pushed Basilio to quick, frightening anger. "Who is this?" he asked, nodding his head toward the girl.

Loners
Dead
Dread
Luperci
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Serenity watched the small coyote from her place at her father’s side, uncertain. She was used to taking her cues from him, or from Cartier if their responses were contradictory. Without the Centurion to smile at her in reassurance, like with the kitten, she could only go off Jehan’s fear—and it was palpable.

And yet there was nothing threatening, at first glance, about this stranger. He was smaller than her dog father (who she’d noticed was smaller than most others), and proportioned differently. He smelled of the clan and wore leather armor. He answered her question kindly.

She was silent, drinking in the men’s interaction, then looked up when Jehan laughed. It was an odd laugh, dry and sardonic.

“You think it’s that easy, don’t you?” Jehan asked. He was grinning, but Ren thought that his smile showed a little too much gum and tooth. “You’re sorry. All right, hell.” He licked a fang and set his hand on his hip, then glanced down at the girl.

“My daughter,” the small dog answered, and his turquoise eyes were fierce, losing some of their fear, as he stared back up at the dwarf. “Serenity.” He dropped his hand to brush it tenderly over her large coyote ears, a gesture at odds with the tension in him. “Here, go smell for that fruit Basilio mentioned, see if you can find it but don’t eat it,” he suggested, and Ren stared at him for a moment before trotting off to do so with a bob of her muzzle to Basilio.

When she was out of earshot, his eyes darted back to Bas. “Okay, what the fuck, humor me. You’re sorry for the threat part, or the part where you beat me to a pulp when I couldn’t fight back? Or the part where”—and his fist clenched, and his ears pinned—“where you made it clear as day that just because that asshole Osprey’s dead doesn’t mean me and my family are safe?

“Which part.”
He clicked his teeth. “Are you apologizing for.”

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Basilio Lykoi

Word Count 482 ✦ Oh boy

Basilio had never been one to hold his anger back, not until recently. There were several reasons he had attacked Jehan the day that their paths crossed, though for the sake of Crucifix and of himself, the only reason he stood here instead of avoiding the mutt was because he wanted to extend an olive branch. He cared not whether Jehan forgave him for his actions or whether the dog trusted him. He was right to fear the little Lykoi monster, after all, and nothing could have protected him better except for the girl that hid behind his back legs. Basilio was never one for witnesses, never one to kill in cold blood, despite what had been dealt his way but he was never a traitor or a blasphemer of Inferni or its coyotes.

Jehan was a disgrace in his eyes, though he did his best to hide that, even if it meant going against his better instincts which roared at him to put the other dog into its place. "It should be that easy, Jehan," he said as the girl walked away at her father's behest, toward the fruit that Basilio had pointed out only a moment before.

There was nothing keeping him here aside from his own will that made sure he stood stark still, rather than moving for the other's throat the first chance he got.

"Let me be very clear to you, Outsider," he started, "I have no interest in your retorts. I apologize only because it is expected of me and I know how to apologize when I know I was wrong." He shifted in place, crossing his arms over his small chest. "You have a will of your own. I don't care if you can't forgive me. I have no need of your forgiveness, only God's. You proved yourself to be a liar the moment you told Crucifix everything I had done but left out what you had," Basilio said, slightly canting his head. "While I hate a thief, I hate a liar even more so."

He lifted his staff from his back, bringing it in front of him for a moment before he let it fall at his feet, sprawling between them on the crunchy leaves that fall had brought down. "Would it make you feel better to hold a knife at my throat, threaten me as I threatened you? Maybe I could lend you my staff and let you batter me till I'm bloodied." He let his gaze cut toward the girl in the backdrop. "I'm afraid she would only view you as the monster, though, dog. Children fear those who beat people for no reason. All people do, actually. You should know that better than most."

"I'm apologizing for everything, extending the branch. It would be wise of you to take that apology as you will. Besides, I only truly threatened you. Not Cartier. Nor do I threaten your child."

Loners
Dead
Dread
Luperci
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:44 pm

(505) jeepers

Even as he sent his coyote daughter away, hoping to spare her the sight and sound of anger and pain, Jehan was aware that he was also sending away his only guardian. Whatever fury the dwarf might have reined in for the sake of a 'yote child could be unleashed now. And the small dog was afraid for it, his ears pinned back and teeth bared like that of a cornered, frightened animal; he didn't bother to try and hide his emotions.

"Oh, I'm glad you'll apologized when caught," the Outsider could not help but snark when the Lykoi began, but thereafter he held his tongue between his teeth.

He flinched when the man lifted the staff, but stared contemptuously past it when the warrior continued. Basilio knew of his fear and used that—and Serenity's presence—as an advantage in this conversation, but when he finished the dog fumed. He stank of fear, but anger, too, and if Bas expected him to retreat or cower, he'd overlooked one change.

Jehan was a father now.

"Serenity isn't my only kid," the small spitz said, and his voice was husky with a growl. "You insisted that I wasn't even fully canine. I am a dog, an Outsider, and that means lesser." He glanced out to where Ren sniffed for apples, then looked back at Basilio. "But I got a pair of pups who have my inferior blood, and as long as coyotes like you think you can insult me for that—what the fuck are you gonna do to my kids? Poison 'em when I'm not lookin' like you almost did Clover?

"Or do you draw the line at that? They ain't done jack shit, they don't know they're different yet. How many months old they gotta be before they realize prejudiced shitbags like you are leerin' at them, hoping they'll leave, thinking they ain't really part of the clan, so it's okay?"

He spat at the earth and advanced a step, but he was not so foolish as to push Basilio. He didn't make a move toward him, only that one step, a symbolic indication that he was not going to back away this time.

"And if I threatened you, if I hit you, it wouldn't be the same. You're not helpless." It rankled him to call himself helpless, but he had been; Jehan was too scrawny to be a fighter, a runt in his own right, one-armed and inexperienced in battle. "And you're a coyote. Hittin' you would be like hittin' Inferni in the face. But me? There ain't consequences, I ain't ever gonna be able to hit back."

He lifted his muzzle and bared his teeth.

"So yeah, you threaten me, you're threatening my family, and I know you ain't got a problem beatin' on someone who can't fight back, so why should I believe you're gonna change?"

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Basilio Lykoi

Word Count 482 ✦ Oh boy

"Your children are safe, however many you might have," Basilio said before anything else, those crossed arms of his unfolding to settle at his sides, fingers clenched against the flat side of his palm, against each pad they came in contact with. Pain was always a helpful reminder of why he stood here in this place but he had not been caught. Not really. He would have told Crucifix about what he had done in time, albeit he might have done it later. Jehan, on the other hand, Basilio had no real way of knowing that the one armed mutt would have ever told Crucifix that he had soured Basilio's name without even mentioning his own, what he had done or what he had said.

"Your children may be part dog but they have coyote blood, more than enough to be 'real' members of Inferni. I care little about dog blood once someone is a real member of Inferni. Many grow up calling themselves coyotes irregardless. You, on the other hand..." he let the statement drift to make his point, giving a gentle, more lax show and display of his fangs. "I'm not a traitor. I wouldn't kill another coyote. I wouldn't kill another member of Inferni. I might beat the shit out of them but that's to be expected," he said icily. "Some more than others. There may come a day when you're expelled from the pack. I might think about killing you then, if your expulsion is bad enough. But I've no intention of it now or even thought of it later. Get over yourself."

He let his head straighten, lifting a hand so fingers could push some of the hair from his face, red eyes glinting against the light. "I can see it, Outsider, you really do want to hit me. Would if make you feel better if I allowed such a thing and kept it to myself? Would that temper your anger? Calm your nerves?" He slid both hands behind his back, catching hold of each one's fingers with the other. "Would you feel better if perhaps I was defenseless? I don't have to use my hands. I don't even have to hit you," he taunted shamelessly.

"I beat you because you insulted me. I insulted you for being a dog because you said terrible things about me. Two can play at that game but it only makes matters worse." He stepped forward then, just a step or two, pushing his staff out of the way with his feet, letting it brush back the leaves closest so that the green grass beneath poked itself through. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm a Bellator, a warrior of Inferni. I don't have to like you. I don't have to even want to like you and you certainly don't have to give two fucks about what happens to me but it's my job to protect the useless, defenseless little shits like you who can't even beat a so called 'midget'."

He sighed. "You don't have to trust me and I'd rather you didn't but there is a need to be civil rather than come to blows, whether with words or with fists, each time we meet. I'm sure you don't like looking over your back, or having to worry about your water or tea being poisoned each time you turn around. Or you might enjoy that feeling. Who the hell knows how masochistic you might be.."

Loners
Dead
Dread
Luperci
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 pm

(329) and the "you said the worst possible thing and are gonna get your ass kicked for it" award goes to jehan two times in a row, hooray!

Jehan grit his teeth.

The language of these coyotes blindsided him sometimes, and he was a quick enough conman to hear the implications in the pauses between sentences. Non-coyotes were other, and it was evident that his Outsider status did not protect him from that. A traitor was a man who killed another coyote, another Infernian—but Basilio made it clear that he didn't think of Jehan as these things, so what was to stop him? His word?

He did want to hit him, much as he knew it wouldn't make a difference.

Or it might. A small difference, a small catharsis. And yet—

"If I hit you, it would help. Because I'm not a madman. I don't like hurting people who are weaker than me. I don't see red and can't stop myself. I don't beat people to a pulp because I don't like that there's truth in what they say about me."

The whites of his eyes flashed. He shook again.

"But what if my kid gave you lip? Would you look at him and see he's got a dog face, and then what? Would you be able to stop yourself?"

Jehan pushed his bangs out of his eyes with his hand then flicked it, imagining the crack of knuckles against cheekbone, the revolting sensation of it, of fighting. He wasn't made to be a warrior, he was weak, and he'd never been more relieved of this fact.

"If Conrad hadn't stopped you, you probably would've killed me. Or crippled me more. And even if you never laid a hand on a child, you'd still have murdered their father because of something he said. Just fucking admit it."

Then he spat in disgust.

"You call me a liar, but what's Crucifix really think about you? What if you look at her and see red one day and beat her too?"

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Basilio Lykoi

Word Count 482 ✦ Oh boy

He really didn't feel up to fighting, in feeling blood on his hands as he had so many times before. Jehan just kept pushing and pushing, as if his daughter wasn't in the background, as if his daughter was far enough that she wasn't able to hear shouted words or growled statements. Perhaps she was far enough away that she wouldn't have heard Basilio beat the taller man again but Basilio knew that to do so would betray everything that he had worked for. He wasn't so sure that Crucifix could forgive him a second time, especially when what Jehan said wasn't enough to really provoke another. Just him.

His anger was notorious. He believed that faced with a situation like the ones Jehan spoke of, he'd be able to respond in light the way he should have, with patience and a stern hand, but he wasn't even sure of that most days. The dog really tried his patience and strained whatever control he had left. It left him feeling like a raw wire. Fists clenched and he let his claws unsheathe themselves into the fleshy underside of his palm, so much so that the rusty scent of blood filled the air around him and drops fell to the ground, staining large patches beneath its cover scarlet.

"It is because your daughter is near by that you are protected, Jehan, because your mate is someone I respect. It is also because I do not wish to cause my mate any more trouble." He said, baring his teeth, letting his tongue catch at them.

"I want you to remember that very well. I'm not going to threaten you again, not now. Because you will only turn tail and bring every word of it to my wife. Instead, I'm going to let everything you've said smolder in that little brain of yours for a few days. I may even seek an audience with the Centurion to ask advice on how to handle someone who is so incompetent that they can't tell what an apology looks like," he said with a snide grin, stepping back to grab hold of his staff, pulling it over his shoulders to slide it into the rough leather straps it had hung onto a moment before.

"I do not answer to you. I may answer to your mate and the Aquila but it is already well known that sometimes, I cannot control my anger. Only a fool baits and taunts someone who could kill them without consequence." He paused, swiping the blood at his palms over his fur where it left a rich stain against his grayed pelt. "And believe me, I could. I could kill you right here and now while your girl is playing and bury you in the leaves, tell her that you had something urgent come up and that you wanted me to take her home. It would only take an hour or two for me to bury you or tie a weight to your ankles and dispose of you. I won't, though."

He gave a quiet nod toward the girl. "You best run along now before something happens that you'll regret and my hand is forced."

Loners
Dead
Dread
Luperci
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm

Jehan’s nostrils flared at the scent of blood, barely perceptible as it was, and slowly a look of disgust dawned on his face. He’d an idea of how low the Bellator would stoop, had felt it in the knuckles that bruised his bone, but to see the precipice that the man stood on now disturbed him. His concern for his safety seemed warranted, as did his concern for his children’s safety. His gaze hardened even as he flinched slightly at the pygmy warrior grabbing for his staff, and he bared his teeth.

“If you can’t control your own anger, then you’re the one in the wrong,” the dog said. “Normal, sane folk don’t threaten to kill someone and dispose of their bodies, or have to hurt themselves to keep from hurting others.” His nose turned pointedly to the smear of blood on the other’s pelt. “I regretted calling you a monster in front of the mansion, but now I see I was right.”

And it was something that he knew he needed to tell someone—but Basilio had a stronger hold on him than he liked to admit. Talk was easy, because he was protected by his daughter’s presence—but the man could hurt him, hurt Clover, hurt his children. The last traitor had made his work look like an accident, and Jehan didn’t put that past Basilio.

He held the other’s gaze, trembling with anger and fear both, then abruptly lifted his head. “Serenity!” he barked, and at the sharp sound the little coyote skittered away from the leaf pile she was investigating, racing back to her father’s side.

Smelling blood and sensing Jehan’s tension, she skulked timidly, her ears pinned and tail lank, and flashed Basi a frightened look. At this, Jehan was pleased in some sick way; maybe the fearful expression in a child’s face would get through to Basilio where Jehan couldn’t. But guilt touched him at that thought, and he stroked the girl’s ears gently as he spoke. “Let’s go back home ‘n’ see Daddy, all right? We can bring him some pretty leaves.” Ren nodded in quiet assent, and Jehan glanced at Basi one last time before turning and walking off with the girl.

Raze
Luperci Don't be salty.
A fool's gold

Dead Topics