It's off to Work we go

[Training Grounds Event Thread Two] AW for two!

POSTED: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:10 pm

OOC: open for two! I'll post again a few days after the first post to keep things moving. Don't feel like you need to match WC. :) tl:dr: it's a nice morning and everything is ready to be set up, starting with hay bales. WC: 663
Now that the supplies have been gathered and some parts are built, everything can be set up.

IC:
Much of the legwork was done for the pack's new training grounds. The fence around it was constructed, hay bales were stacked on one side, weapon racks were waiting to be set out, brush was mostly cleared, and the skeletons of the practice dummies were waiting to be put into place. They would need to be repaired fairly often, but Naenia expected as much. The hay bales would also need to be replaced eventually because they would rot in time, and the targets would need to be replaced, but this was all stuff she expected and was ready to organize, or leave to someone else if someone else decided they wanted to be in charge of it. She would always be willing to let volunteers help with such things as long as they did a good job.

Hands on her hips, Naenia stood at the edge of the soon to be training grounds at the edge of Oxley with Sylvestre and a couple other volunteers. She had gone back and forth on her decision to place it here after discussing things with Tierney and Tzila, but decided that Tierney was right: they could probably push for a second forge to make it easier to create new weapons and repair the ones they had. Tzila had also seemed to be onboard with this location, as had Sylvestre. There were certainly some disadvantages to the location, but none of the ones she had looked at were entirely perfect. This one, she thought, had the least amount of them, and so she went with it.

The weather was pleasantly cool with a light breeze that would make the activity easier on them with their fur coats. Naenia knew that she was less likely to overheat than her thicker-furred pack mates, and that was why she had also chosen the morning to do this. The sun was up, but only just and it was slightly obscured by a light haze. There was a frost on the grass and brush in places the sunbeams had yet to touch. Getting this done before the winter was necessary because placing the training dummies would be very difficult to do if the ground was frozen.

She was excited to finally be able to get everything set up. Naenia had involved herself in as much of the initial construction as she could since she was running the project and she did not want others to feel like she was was just coming up with what needed to be done and then delegating the actual work to her volunteers. She also did not want to micromanage the whole project because doing so would only make it a pain for everyone who wanted to help, or were told that they had to, however they ended up doing so.

"I think we should start by putting the hay bales in place for archery," Naenia said. They had been stacked but not quite in the right spot, or they had been moved after initially being stacked - she was not sure which - so she thought it would be good to get them in place before moving anything else into the arena. They were likely the heaviest thing they would need to move, so she thought that it would be better to do that while they were all still fresh.

"I planned for them to go down at that end," she continued, pointing to the end of a long, rectangular area that had been mostly cleared of brush. The archers would be shooting away from Oxley for safety reasons, and targets would be hung on the hay bales. "It leaves room for three archers to practice at the same time." With that, she headed towards the hay bales. She wouldn't be able to carry one by herself, but two Luperci would do it. Sylvestre followed along behind her and she did not look back to make sure the others were following, simply assuming that they were.

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
but you're not afraid of me
and I can't convince you

POSTED: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm

(304) Lithia, and Totem, in Optime form.

The situation going on between Naenia and Nivosus had Lithia a little on edge ever since Nivosus pulled that shit at beer pong. Lithia wasn’t sure what to think of their relationship, and she certainly didn’t want to come between them at all. She tried to keep her distance, though she found keeping distance between Naenia and herself extremely difficult. The fire-flecked and the snow-tinged women kept crossing paths no matter what.

Naenia had been leading the training grounds projects, and given that Lithia wanted to lend a hand, she had no choice but to cross the woman’s path once more. Instead of engaging her directly, she had Totem with her to help with the heavy lifting. Lithia stood quietly as the fire-toned woman gave directions, and as she and Sylven began carrying a bale of hay out to the field, Lithia turned to her scarred, white-furred slave.

Lithia examined the bales of hay and thought of their general purpose. She couldn’t help but compare them to the round, wooden ones Anathema had for their archery stands. The bales of hay seemed like a primitive option that was too primitive for Sapient. She wondered if Sapient's lack of carpenters had anything to do with their choice. If she could get Bear to get her a couple round pieces of wood, she'd happily supply Sapient with the tools to make proper practice boards...

”Help me carry this,” she ordered, gripping one edge of the hay bale. Totem gripped the other, and they sort of crab-walked down the field. With their combined strength, they carried it to the end of the field, and threw the hay bale down in its appropriate position. If no further instruction was given, Lithia and Totem would have gone and picked up another bale of hay to set it down again.

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:03 pm

OOC: the bales of hay are to hold the round wooden targets up at different heights and provide a blocker for arrows that miss. :) I probably should have included a picture of the final result for clarity. xD Like this kinda: http://www.excelsior-wood.com/assets/im ... allout.png except wooden targets, not paper. WC: 373

IC:
With the first hay bale in place, Naenia watched Lithia and Totem put the second one in. There were plenty more to put into place, and so Naenia and Sylvestre headed back to get the next one. Cortez and Taylor carted another bale by. Eventually they were all in place, ready for targets to be hung on them. Thankfully she and Sylvestre were not the only ones arranging the hay bales because Naenia was quickly tired of that task.

Once they were all stacked, Naenia decided on the task for the next task, which was to set up the actual targets. This was something Sylvestre could do on his own, and so she decided that he would.

"Targets," she told him and he set off with a nod to get them set up. She then turned her attention to the training dummies. The posts for the dummies had been chopped to points at the bottom, but they wouldn't be able to simply drive them into the ground. Holes would need to be dug first.

"We'll need to dig some holes for the posts to go into," Naenia said. "I'm thinking that this sort of arrangement would be good for them." Using her foot, she then marked a few places on the ground with an x so that the dummies would be spaced apart from each other. "Seems like digging holes about this deep," she held her hands up to indicate, "should make them stable enough to use, unless you think they should go deeper into the ground." If it wasn't deep enough, they'd probably have to wait until the ground thawed in the spring or otherwise fix them quickly, but she guessed that this would be alright.

Cortez came over with a couple of shovels to hand out while Taylor wandered off to begin clearing the rest of the brush that was still in the way. There was a space that Naenia wanted to use for sparring, but it still needed clearing. Cortez began digging in one of the spots Naenia had indicated, and she knelt down to pull away the dirt as he dug it up. His larger size meant he would be better off using the shovel than she would be.

Myst
Luperci You sunk my battle ship! Home is not where you are from. It is where you belong. Some of us travel the whole world to find it. Others find it in a person.
I'm dangerous,
I'm warningyou—
but you're not afraid of me
and I can't convince you

Dead Topics