The water's always changing, always flowing

Leonardo; Backdated Sep 26

POSTED: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Teagan Stryder
Optime | Backdated: September 26th; Mid-day | NPC: Agrona

Set after this thread [M].

Note for me, Aviaria co-rank thread.
WORD COUNT

The world she had returned to had been full of pain and agony. She had thought the attack in the Silent Meadow had been bad. No, this was far worse. Teagan felt like her chest was on the verge of ripping itself apart with every breath she took. Coupled with the overall pain from her other more minor assortment of cuts and bruises, the Cavalier wasn’t sure she’d ever felt so much agony in her short life. It hurt to move, and, when she had finally come to a few days ago, she could do little more than lie in the bed she’d been put in and ask for Indi or the Sapient woman, Miwa, to help her.

She had managed to make her way outside and into the fresh air without too much fuss today. After a few days of being relatively confined to a room and forced to stay in either one position or another for long periods of time, some time in the sun felt nice. The day was warm and with a gentle breeze. Combined with the cooler temperatures of the shade of a large, lonely tree, the late-summer day heat was easily bearable.

Teagan wasn’t alone, however. Her faithful feathered companion, Agrona, perched on her crisscrossed legs that were covered by a spare piece of thick cloth to keep the raptor’s talons from uncomfortably pricking it. Agrona’s dark feathers were puffed up in contentment of being near her Luperci partner once again.

The falcon had only recently returned from her messenger mission back to Casa di Cavalieri. The packs were not on…the best of terms, Teagan had found out, and the sisters’ harborage was not one considered lightly. Sapient’s leadership had drawn up a request for compensation for the girls’ room and board. The order had been given while the Stryder had been unconscious, which was probably fortunate.

When Indi had informed her sister what all had happened in the time she had been resting, Teagan had been furious. Had she known their arrival would cause so much trouble for their pack, she would have rather suffered it out in the wilds! It embarrassed her that the pack would have to barter for the sister’s stay within Sapient.

It was finalized though. Their father had sent Agrona back with Casa di Cavalieri’s acceptance and promise of payment. It put fire in the Bracciante’s blood, but, it was in the past, and there was nothing she could do about it. All she could do was ride out the rest of her initial days of recovery and hope for the best.

Agrona clacked her beak softly, closing her eyes as Teagan reached up to gently stroke the falcon’s neck feathers. The Stryder smiled a small smile as the bird of prey twisted her head to allow Teagan to scratch just the right spot.

Template by Andi || Image: EdgedFeather
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Heading back to the estate, an unfamiliar figure caught his attention; a pale pelted girl who certainly did not belong here, if her pack scent were anything to go by. Why they’d even been granted refuge here baffled him; their kin had murdered his son, in cold blood because a diplomat couldn’t handle being flirted with by an over eager youth. Scowling at the girl, the blacksmith was intent to walk past her without acknowledging her existence, yet… he also knew that it hadn’t been this girls hand or her doing. She was young, hurt and in foreign lands where she was almost certainly being treated with open disdain.

Sighing, he put aside his own animosity, the hurt and ever present pain the loss of his son caused him; it was always there, never forgotten, simply never mentioned or all-consuming as it was once. Thankfully she held a bird of prey close by, a common factor that he could at least play upon and discuss. It was how he’d been raised, to treat women with kindness and respect, to shelter children from the horrors of the more jaded world of adults – and in his eyes, the girl was very much still a pup.

“Pretty falcon you got there. You been working with it her long?” he inquired, assuming the birds gender based upon her size. His own two birds were likely holed up in the stable rafters, annoying the resident horses that were currently being contained within no doubt.

Art by Remarin

I won't believe in heaven and hell
No saints, no sinners, no devil as well
No pearly gates, no thorny crown

POSTED: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Teagan Stryder

WORD COUNT

Her mismatched ears flickered as she heard the footfalls of another. Discretely as she could, she let her canary eyes flick to the source. It was an older male of dark hues that donned clothes just as sophisticated as the rest of his pack did. She tried to not call attention to herself, not wanting to deal with more animosity from the Sapiens than she already had. Her body was still trying to recover, and she just didn’t have the energy to deal with some past infraction one of her packmates had made.

To Teagan’s dismay, however, the male made his way towards her. Agrona’s head twisted comically as Teagan’s petting slowed and the falcon sensed someone approaching. The raptor’s feathers slowly fell flush against her body as it didn’t recognize the individual, and wasn’t sure if they were a friend or foe to her Luperci companion. Agrona shifted to face the stranger and shuffled her wings.

What was expected to fall from the Sapien’s mouth an what actually did were two completely different dialogues. The man before her was civil, and Teagan found her muscles easing from their previously tense state. She looked to Agrona and then back at the Sapien. “Thank you, sir.” She knew how to be polite, and this individual had proven himself to given as much. “About five months or so. I’ve had her since she was a little chick.”

Teagan put a hand in front of the bird for her to step up onto it. Agrona did so readily, and the Cavalier began to arduous process of trying to stand up. It felt awkward—or maybe it was because she felt vulnerable—sitting on the ground and trying to talk to someone that wasn’t familiar to her. The falcon’s wings flapped to steady herself at Teagan’s jerky movements to will her aching body to heed her.

Finally, with the help of the tree from which had shaded them, Teagan managed to get to her feet. She left the cloth where it lie, not trusting herself to be able to reach down to pick it up with Agrona still perched on her. When she was steady on her feet, she introduced herself. “I’m Teagan Stryder, and this is Agrona.” The raptor blinked and twisted her head towards the Sapien. There was a pause before the Cavalier continued, “Do you have any birds?”

It seemed an appropriate question to ask, particularly given his compliment of Agrona and his question about her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:37 pm

“A pleasure to meet you, Teagan. I’m Leonardo Auditore,” he gave his name in return, although it could hardly be said hers was unknown to him; they’d made a stir, to Cavaliers seeking medical assistance and aid within their pack of all places. Still, manners never hurt anyone and so he pretended otherwise; plus, he was curious about her bird, how she’d began working with her, trained her and what knowledge she had to share in regards to working with large birds.

“I’ve got two. A red-tail male and a Chilean blue female. Dante, my red-tail is a dream to work with. Still trying to work on the Chilean blue; she was raised by others, but has some training and responsiveness,” even now he hadn’t named her yet. Sure, he’d tried one or two different names out, yet nothing as of yet seemed to quite fit. Additionally, she was proving a constant challenge, given the fact he took her on later in life and the more dominant nature of females; perhaps that was a trait limited to the Chilean blues alone or was it all female birds of prey?

“She’s proving stubborn as hell. Not sure if it’s a female bird trait, to be more aggressive and dominant or if it’s just her species. Or a million other problems and circumstances that led to her being stubborn,” he sighed, shrugging and shooting her look of fond exasperation in regards to the challenging bird. Truly, he wasn’t displeased with how she was pushing him to try new training methods, but he did wish to see more progress than he was getting.

“So you raised Agrona as a chick. You wouldn’t mind aiding a fellow bird handler out with some tips and tricks? She’s my first female bird I’ve ever worked with and I have a sinking feeling that forming a relationship later on in her life is a good part of why she’s so… stubborn,” huffing out a breath, he rubbed along the side of his neck, hoping she’d be receptive to discussing the matter – not only was it a less awkward subject matter, but it would also help him out a good deal.

Art by Remarin

POSTED: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Teagan Stryder

WORD COUNT

It was nice to interact with someone that didn’t look upon her with disdain simply because of her pack. Though, it was not like she would blame the Sapiens for their reactions to the Cavalier girls. If what Nivosus said was true, she’d have given she and her sister hell too. Murder was not an act to be taken and received lightly. Perhaps this male hadn’t been around during the event, or, maybe, he was more diplomatic about it than his fellow Sapiens.

He introduced himself, and Teagan accepted it with a shallow nod. The Sapien, Leonardo, went on to reveal that he had two birds at his disposal; a red-tailed hawk and then some other sort of bird that was a “Chilean.” Her brows rose with interest and surprise. “I’ve never heard of a ‘Chilean blue’ before, but, the fact that you’ve got two birds must mean you’re pretty skilled,” the Cavalier commented. Sure, the pack had owned multiple birds and had multiple horses to work with and train, but, that wasn’t the same as having two animals of one’s own. It meant splitting time between the two dependent on their needs, skills, and uses onto one Luperci versus a whole pack.

She chuckled a little bit when he described his female bird of the two. “Perhaps it’s a bit of both. Agrona and her mother are like that. They’re more likely to pick fights and attack more ferociously than the males we have.” Teagan smiled as she affectionately scratched at her falcon’s neck feathers. “My grandmother told me that females tend to bite more too, and they do so harder than a boy would.”

Teagan’s gaze shifted back to Leonardo, nodding to confirm his words. When he asked a question of her, her ears pricked forward. “Sure,” she agreed, blinking as she still tried to registered what he’d asked her. Of all the things she’d expected when the Sapien had walked up, asking for her help had not been on her list.

Standing a bit straighter, Teagan asked, “How long have you had her, and what were her original Luperci like?” It had been easy for the Cavalier and her falcon to bond, particularly, since Teagan had been with Agrona since she was old enough to move her shaky little head around to look at the world. There was no doubt in her mind that Leonardo’s bird being older was at least one of the causes for misbehavior.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:14 pm

“Hmm. Well, rather than discussing, I can go fetch her. She's probably raising hell in the barn over there. Mind waiting here for a sec? No need to strain your injuries,” he asked, waiting for her response before heading in the way of the barn. He was right, of course; the Chilean blue was there, as she always was, dropping down after some coaxing and food, the blacksmith tucking the leather tie around her ankle tightly in his grip, before heading out with her and back to the females. It was handy to have someone to bounce ideas and knowledge off, even given her pack.

Twice on the way over she took off, getting caught short and finding herself dangled beneath his arm, bound to him by the leather strap. Stopping each time, he eased her back on to the leather that bound his arm, acting as protection from her talons. Handling birds had it's threats and he'd learned early on to have shoulder and arm protection against their natural weapons.

“Here she is. No name as of yet, although I've had her a few months now. I got her from an in-between trader, who gave assurances of being well handled and hand reared,” he answered her prior questions, grip tightening as she shifted upon his arm, curious about the stranger, her talons moving up and down his arm as she moved back and forth, growing braver with each inch closer to the stranger, although behaving and not attempting to leave his arm just yet.

“Suffice to say, I have my doubts. Dante was hand reared by me and I've never made major problems with him. Madam here takes commands, verbal or gestured, as optional. Unless there is an unholy among of food on offer; usually small mammals over dried meat. Picky eater or just stubborn, I'm not sure.”

Art by Remarin

POSTED: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Teagan Stryder

As always, this shit is made up with common sense shit. I, unfortunately, have zero falconry experience despite my love for birdies ;____;
WORD COUNT

She nodded in agreement to his plan, waving him off to go fetch his wayward raptor. He was right, as much as it hurt her pride to acknowledge that she was hardly in a state to be moving around too much. It was better he bring the bird to her than for her to hobble her way over to the barn. How embarrassing would that have been? Not to mention, a complete waste of time for Leonardo’s part.

The Cavalier waited patiently for his return. It wasn’t like she had anything better to do. Handicapped and on forced recovery in a foreign land, her interaction with the Sapien would probably be her entertainment for the day. He returned swiftly, though, it appeared not without difficulty. The creature he brought with him was a beautiful thing despite its stubborn streak. Even with the bird’s difficulty, Leonardo did well to not become overly frustrated with it. He was likely a very good handler for the birds, if his rather sedate reaction to the bird’s attempts to fly away were anything to go by.

Where Teagan saw beauty though, Agrona saw danger. The falcon, much smaller than the unfamiliar eagle on Leonardo’s arm, puffed up her feathers and spread her wings. Her beak parted to make her appear more fearsome as she ducked her body low, head hunched down between her shoulders. Realizing her bird’s threatened transformation, Teagan reached up a hand to soothingly smooth down the falcon’s feathers. Soft words and clicks were whispered to Agrona in an attempt to reassure her companion that the opposing bird would not likely attack them.

It appeared to settle some of Agrona’s initial fear, and her feathers and posture slowly returned to one that was more neutral. Her dark eyes, however, never left the larger bird. With her companion tamed, Teagan offered Leonardo an apologetic glance as he came to stand before her again. “Sorry, the largest, friendly raptor she’s seen is her mother.” There had been only one other predatory bird in the pack that wasn’t a peregrine falcon like Agrona, but, neither Teagan nor Agrona had seen much of it.

Leonardo went on to introduce his beautiful companion. The raptor looked very well looked after; her feathers had a nice color to them and were well preened, her scales and beak also looked good and healthy. Physically, the bird looked very good, and, seeing her curiosity in the Cavalier—or perhaps in Agrona—was a good sign. It meant an avenue that the bird could be worked with. “She’s very beautiful,” Teagan commented.

The Cavalier hummed as Leonardo described the behavioral issues with the bird. “How often and how much do you feed her during each session? And, it’s you who feeds her each time, correct?” If the bird received food from more than one individual, perhaps she didn’t feel a connection with Leonardo, and, thus, did not see him as a positive sight. Giving her a whole meal at one time might have also been an issue, as she would likely eat to her satisfaction, and then ignore any other bribes. “Also, do you do so before or after training sessions?”

She had her doubts that Leonardo, who already had another bird who was rumored to be very well-behaved, would have not considered the options. However, if his other raptor, Dante, had been raised since a chick like Agrona had, perhaps he had never needed to ration out feedings for Dante to heed his commands and respect his authority.

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Word Count → 271 :: Out of Character text
Catching sight now of the Casa's girls own bird reacting in threat, he drew back a few steps. Az couldn't go anywhere, his grip upon the leather straps tight. If she did try to take off, she'll find her movement cut short and dangle from his arm, until he could bring her back to perch upon his bound wrist. Still, he hoped giving the other bird a little more room would ease things – he knew that not all birds got along and whilst he had her under control, the other bird may not realise or even understand that, thus making the danger to it very real.

“No worries. That was my fault, I forget not all birds are used to being in proximity to each other,” he responded, making sure that the female knew the blame was on him for causing the upset in the first place. There was no need for her to apologise for the falcons very natural reaction to a larger predator. With that out of the way, the girl was quick to compliment Az; and indeed, she was a beautiful bird, the very reason he'd desired to obtain one of them. But beauty could be skin deep and her attitude was quickly making her less of a pleasant thing.

“Just me who handles her. Fed whenever she does something correctly as praised or, if I'm acclimatising her to something, pretty often so she doesn't associate it with anything bad, but food instead. Usually fed before, after and during, to get her to come to me, work with me and a reward at the end.”

Art by Remarin

POSTED: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 am

Teagan Stryder

WORD COUNT

Teagan shook her head negatively to dismiss his apology, the small smile on her lips showing that she didn’t fault him for the mistake. After all, she was as much to blame as he was. The Stryder hadn’t thought twice about what the interaction would entail with two unfamiliar birds being in proximity of each other. So used to the fact that the falcons within Casa di Cavalieri were family, and had practically all been raised with one another, the thought of an altercation with Leonardo’s bird had not crossed her mind.

Both birds seemed well-mannered enough that they would stay with their respective handler. It was good, likely more so for the Cavaliers than it was for the Sapien pair. Leonardo’s bird was much larger than Teagan’s, as well, having the raptors fight wouldn’t have done well in the knights’ reputation with Sapient. With one death apparently blamed on Casa di Cavalieri, they didn’t need to add a beloved pet to the list too.

She listened as Leonardo explained about the Chilean blue. As expected of someone who had already had a bird that was tamed and reliable, it appeared that everything Leonardo was doing was…well, right. So, why, then, was there a disconnect between obedience to given commands?

The Cavalier hummed, stumped by the information he’d give her. “How long have you had her?” Perhaps their time together was the issue? Like a horse with a new stable hand, the bird of prey may have simply been still coming to gripes that Leonardo was her handler now.

Another question quickly bubbled up after the first. “How is she socially?” Perhaps the bird had a preference for a certain gender or species? Or maybe she just had a particular vendetta with how Leonardo looked? The birds of prey she’d met while visiting Krokar had issues with each other too, so, perhaps it was a cohabitation problem?

Teagan Stryder

Image Image Image Image
New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Word Count → 218 :: Out of Character text
“Nearly a year now, if I had to take a guess,” it was disheartening that she kept asking questions rather than actually giving him some feedback or solution. Not that he'd expected there to be a magic solution, having tried everything he himself could think of to overcome his problems with Az. It had been a long shot, expecting a fellow handler to have an answer or solution for him to try that he hadn't already.

“Keeps to herself, although may sometimes tolerate my red-tail hawk,” the two would fight as often as they got along, usually to control a space that they didn't want to share. Having them fed often enough and with the whole of Sapient at their disposal, most of the time they got along okay, but it had never occurred to him that her problem may be related to the need for socialization of her own kind.

“My apprentice has a male of the same species that she shows no real interest with,” so perhaps it was other females, if she desired any company at all. Or perhaps it was the one thing he was trying to avoid considering, that before she'd been given to him, the bird had been abused enough to have lasting effects impacting her behaviour even now.

Art by Remarin

Dead Topics