It's only our lives anyway

P. Ascher | Aster's Fields

POSTED: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

OOC: backdated to whenever Ascher was in KR. :)

Snow squeaked beneath two sets of feet — one of two and one of four. "Daddy?" said the voice of a young boy, his head tilted up to search for his father's eyes until his floppy ears flipped back and revealed the soft pink skin inside. Milos laughed, meeting his son's eyes with his own. "Yeah, 'Gun?" replied the warm voice of his father. Logan gave his head a swift shake, replacing the position of his ears back into their usual half-perked state. He young yet, the Quartermaster knew, but his eyes were already taking on a more sunny hue than the blue that he'd been born with. Would his ears, too, still change and become upright? Or were they destined to remain as they were, caught somewhere between his mother's drop ears and his own upright ones? Only time, he thought tritely, would tell.

"How come that cow and that cow is diff'rent?" he asked, curiosity pinching his voice. He was looking ahead of him now, at the paddock that held the cows, the llama, and the small ruminants. Mable and her calf were considerably shaggier than the cattle that they had acquired from AniWaya and, though none of the animals seemed overtly uncomfortable with the colder temperatures, the hairy cows looked like they would be more comfortable.

Milos had decided to take Logan with him to teach him a little about what he did with the animals, though he intended to start small — namely, collecting eggs from the chickens. The child was ecstatic and didn't hesitate to gloat about it to Bramble, with whom Milos had previously made separate plans. He had decided to take each boy out separately primarily so that he could keep an eye on them and make sure they didn't get themselves into trouble with the livestock, but also so that he could focus his sole attention on one boy at a time. He thought it would make them feel more special that way, particularly since Logan seemed to overshadow Bram in a lot of what they did together.

With an unhelpful shrug, Milos lead Logan towards the barn. "Jus' th' way they are, 'Gun," he replied brightly. "Jus' like you got speckles'n spots'n Bram's all solid colors." Logan chewed on that a moment, frowning while he tried to make sense of it. Milos chuckled. "Ev'ryone's diff'rent, even cows." Looked up from his son, the Quartermaster paused and squinted at a copper figure set against the snow. For a moment, he thought Nishan had returned from the Old Ironsides depot until the Luperci's scent tickled different memories. "That en't Ascher!" he called out to the man, one arm raised in greeting.

Wrenched from his thoughts about cows and brothers and differences, Logan snapped his head up and watched the figure his father was calling out to, suddenly feeling a little less confident than he'd been just moments before.

[WC — 500]

Mandi
Luperci Mate to Eliza but you'd become my candle in the dark
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:19 am

OOC: <3 these two

IC:
Ascher had been in Krokar for less than a day and already he had been thoroughly reminded of the pack’s friendly nature. He supposed he shouldn’t have been surprised that the Krokarans were welcoming to him – he had been one of them once, if only briefly, and he knew Ezra had done well in trading here. While Vinátta often felt fraught with tension to the Stormbringer man, between strange relationships with his children and former mate, Krokar felt easy. He wouldn’t have traded his home in the Viking pack for the world, but taking a peek outside didn’t hurt every now and then. It helped to remind him of those things he loved about Vinátta.

Right now, Ascher loved the fact that Vinátta was close to the coast. There were plenty of waterways in Krokar, but none of them had the sharp tang of the sea which served to refresh him within moments of smelling it. He loved the Grand Lake, too, and had already noted how different Krokar’s own lakes were. He was sure they provided good fishing but the Grand Lake somehow seemed – well, grander. But Ascher was well aware of his own history with that particular lake, and that surely coloured his view of things.

Ascher couldn’t shake the feeling that this was one of the first times he had properly taken Krokar in. He had visited Fiskebyn, a place he had avoided during his last stay here, and he felt altogether more present as he wandered towards the fields which held varied livestock, from impossibly hairy cows to sure-footed goats.

This time, Ascher didn’t flinch when the Quartermaster called out to him. He looked up to see Milos accompanied by a smaller, four-legged figure, and a smile swiftly settled on his scarred muzzle.

“It is,” Ascher confirmed with jollity. “How have you been, Milos?”

While the boy who was with the wolfdog didn’t sport Milos’s solid colours, there was a shared note in their scents and something around the eyes which told Ascher that the youth could very well be his progeny.

Ascher’s head bent as he regarded Logan, a smile reaching his eyes.

“And who might you be, young man?”

[365]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm

OOC: they're the best! <3 LOL kids have no filters. xD

Turning from the barn, Milos started towards the figure of his copper-coated friend with a cracking smile and cheer burning bright in his eyes. The Quartermaster felt a little badly for having not kept up with Ascher since his departure from Krokar to move on with his life. Admittedly, he wasn't sure where that journey had taken Ascher, though it was Vinátta that he smelled now intermingling with the wolf's personal cologne. At any rate, he was glad to see that the Stormbringer man looked considerably healthier since the last time he'd laid eyes upon him.

Back then, Milos thought he could recall, Ascher had seemed painfully despondent and depressed to the darker man. Seldom did he remember seeing Sylven's relative around Fiskebyn or anywhere else the general populace of Krokar may congregate. But Milos could not blame him for his unwillingness to socialize. In fact, in those aging months of last winter, the Parhelion himself had been battling his own demons. It had suited him just fine to simply be in Ascher's company without having to explain himself or talk through his feelings.

"En't been bad," he replied brightly. "Look good yourself, Ascher. Where're ya livin' now? Smells like Vinátta t' me." He grinned, hoping that that was where his friend had ultimately ended up. When they had first met, before their individual lives had been pulled through hell and back, it was when he was still a member of the friendly pack of Vikings. If Milos had recalled anything from Aspen about her life, it was that her daughters were also Ascher's. And, now a father himself, he couldn't imagine being torn away from his children. He desperately hoped that his friend had been reunited with them, better yet if he was now again a full-fledged member of the pack.

While the adults caught up, Logan sat quietly at his father's feet. He watched and he listened to the interactions between the two men, a million questions lighting up in his young head. Who was this man? Why was he in Krokar? How come he smelled a little like Sylven? What happened that gave him those scars? Staring up, Logan cocked his head and wondered. And then, almost as though this strange man had somehow known he was thinking about him, Ascher bent his head down and looked at him.

For a moment, Logan hesitated. The man had a smile in his eyes and obviously knew his father, but still he felt unsure. He glanced at his father for support and found warmth and ease and cheer in his face. It gave the Guppy strength.

Logan looked pointedly back at Ascher and puffed out his wiry chest. "I'm Logan Cormier but my brover's name is Bramble and he's at home 'cause it's just me and my daddy today. How come you got scars all over? Did you get almost eated by a monster?" Milos passed an apologetic look to his friend and groaned a warning to his son. "Logan."

[WC — 519]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 am

OOC: cannot handle the cutes that is Logan

IC:
It often seemed to be the contrasts life offered which made Ascher take stock of how much things had changed – and a lot had changed since he had last been in Krokar. He was no longer a walking zombie, oblivious to what was going on around him, and he no longer needed Sylven at his elbow to show him where to go, what to do, what to say. He smiled at Milos – though Ascher was a very different canine now to what he had been last time, he remembered the other man’s kindness in his most troubled hour.

“Yes, I’m back home,” the coppery wolf confirmed with a nod, his tail swinging. “Doing my best to make up for lost time.” The corners of his eyes crinkled. Ascher was more content than he had been in a very long time. He was mending not only his familial relationships, but himself.

The pup sat at Milos’s feet and seemed to take in the exchange with the strange concoction of nerves and curiousity which Ascher himself felt so often. Pups usually seemed to respond to these things in one of two ways: confidence and pride galore, or shrinking away like a wilting flower. For a moment Ascher wasn’t certain which way this youngster would go. The opportunity to be surprised was one of the things he liked about pups.

Logan spoke up, introducing himself – and his brother – and informing Ascher that it was just him and his Daddy today. The Vináttan’s gaze flickered to Milos, blue eyes brimming with good-natured humour. When Logan asked about his scars he chuckled and ran a hand through his wild mane.

“Not eaten, no. I got in a fight – a bigger fight than the ones you probably have with your brother.” It was always interesting trying to strike a balance between being honest with children and not instilling fear in them, and Ascher looked to Milos briefly for reassurance that he hadn’t scared the boy. “I have brothers too – and a sister. My family’s really big and Sylven’s one of my nephews. That’s why I’m here,” he went on conversationally.

[354]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm

OOC: srsly

Home. It was such a simple word and yet, though not uncomfortably so, weighted in a way as well. Hidden within it there were memories and nostalgia; sentiments and emotions; experiences and growth. Home was a place of peace and tranquility, but could also be one of mistakes, of learning, of arguments, of forgiveness. Above all, home was a place of love.

"Glad t' hear it," Milos replied softly, mirroring Ascher's tail wag with a swaying of his own. He held the copper man's eyes a bit longer, not only to convey the sincerity of his words and also the genuine happiness that he felt for his friend. "Reckon Vinátta'n your family're happy t' have ya back." If they weren't, Milos thought Krokar could always use another friendly soul like Ascher among its ranks. But, based solely on how well — how happy — the Stormbringer man looked, he suspected that they were. Or, in the very least, that Ascher was content and accepting of it if they weren't.

Ascher also, thankfully, seemed content and accepting of Logan's youthful insensitivities and nodded a subtle encouragement when the man's blue eyes found his. Scars were nothing new to either of his boys, having grown up with the latticework of scar tissue lining their father's back, but Logan in particular seemed abundantly curious as to where everyone's imperfections had come from — be it a limp, a deformity, or a scar, it didn't matter to him. Just the fact that they were different in some way to him was enough to produce a stream of questions from the young boy. He was just at that age, as he had been told before.

At the sound of his father's gentle warning, Logan apologetically lowered his ears and gave his tail a limp wag, but had his eyes still locked on Ascher's scarred face. His mouth gaped slightly. "Ohhhh," he replied, as though that made all the sense in the world. "But how come? Bramble sometimes tries to steal my food and toys — is that how come you fighted?" There was no fear on his round little face, just awe.

But when the conversation turned to family, Logan frowned. "Sylvey is a nephew?" He cocked his head curiously. He did not recognize that word but something about the way Ascher said it made it seem like it wasn't as important as a brother or a sister, or like the role his mother and his father played. "I only has one sis'er too and her name is Will'a and she's real tall but her daddy and my daddy is diff'rent. I still like her, though." He wagged his tail cheerfully.

[WC — 461]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

POSTED: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:46 am

There was a sincerity in the Quartermaster’s words which couldn’t be found in many canines, and Ascher found himself instantly reminded of why they had come to like each other in the first place. True, it had been a long time ago, and Aspen had been his mate then, but Ascher thought that as long as Milos could keep that earnest way about him, they would remain friends.

“Yes, well, I still have a lot to prove,” Ascher admitted. It wasn’t the hollow confession of a man who regretted his choice, but an honest one - the admission of someone who recognised their mistakes and was prepared to make up for them. “But I’ll get there – my family and I, we’ll get there.” He hadn’t felt so confident in that notion for some time, but now he felt that it was a certainty. The words came with a half smile.

Ascher had always enjoyed interacting with the Aeska in Vinátta – but it had been some time since there had been any pups born into the Viking pack. He had always enjoyed the fact that children didn’t have any preconceived ideas about things – that they were remarkably open, despite their vulnerability. Perhaps they were open because of that vulnerability. Logan was a curious young thing, and Ascher had always been keen to nurture curiousity.

“I don’t remember why we fought,” he told the child gently. “I just remember that I was fighting for my daughter.” The thought of Bel wasn’t accompanied by the usual stab to the Stormbringer’s chest. He was proud that he had fought for Bel, if not of the eventual outcome.

“I think Willow is very lucky to have such a good little brother!” he chuckled. “A nephew’s like a son, only you get to be their friend, too. Sylven’s been a very good friend to me. He’s actually my cousin’s son. I bet you have cousins, too?”

He looked up to Milos then and grinned:

"If you ever think the Cormier family's getting too large I'd be happy to show you what it's like being a Stormbringer."

[350]
AscherStormbringer

Loners
DEAD
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:37 pm

OOC: Fin!

Smiling warmly at Ascher, Milos nodded gently. "Reckon so," he replied earnestly, lifting a calloused hand to pat his friend's shoulder reassuringly. "I know ya will." He removed his hand but continued to leave bright eyes on the Stormbringer's copper face. "You're a good man, Ascher. Jus' tryin's enough t' prove that." After all, running away from problems or uncomfortable situations were usually seemed easier than facing them head on. "You'll definitely get there."

Again, Logan considered Ascher's response with a mixture of confusion and enlightenment. "Your daughter?" he echoed. The child knew this word from his mother and father when they were referring to his sister, Willow. What didn't confuse Logan was the knowledge that Ascher was a father (that, rather, was the reason for his bright enlightenment) but that the fight had occurred because of someone and not something. In his young mind, people didn't fight over one another but possessions. By the time the Ascher spoke again, his wonderment over this had fled and he eagerly focused on talk about family.

Milos felt for his friend. The idea of having to fight for, and ultimately lose, someone who meant so very much left him with unspeakable sadness. Losing a lover was one thing but losing a son or a daughter? Now that the Quartermaster had children of his own, it was something he simply didn't like to fathom.

Puffing out his chest proudly, Logan was happy to agree. "Yeah!" he said cheerfully, wagging his tail emphatically. But all this talk of cousins left him feeling perplexed again and, slowly, the pup's tail slowed and he scrunched his face up uncertainly. "Oh." He glanced up at his father. "Papa, I has cousins too right?" Milos gave his son a gentle chuckle and nodded. "Ya do, 'Gun. Norah'n Nellie, Oscar'n Remy're your cousins," he replied and Logan wagged his tail happily again before turning back to Ascher. "Oh yeah, I got lots of cousins!" Because surely, Logan thought, four cousins was a ton.

Grinning at Ascher, Milos shared an amused look with his friend and nodded. "Reckon ya could," he laughed softly. It truly did feel good to be in the Stormbringer's company once more, a thought that returned to him time and time again as the pair continued to talk and catch up with one another. After some time, Milos parted ways with his friend to finish his original task of showing Logan his duties as a Drover in Krokar, elated in the knowledge of Ascher's improved health and well-being.

[WC — 438]

Mandi
the sun still rises
even through the rain

Dead Topics