I'll find my destination, Don't tell me where to go

POSTED: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 pm

OOC: text in <--> is him talking in German <3 WC: 1050

Coax had been tired of being treated like a child, and this was why he had gone to Salvia and gotten his Cueponi riddle. He had mulled over the riddle for awhile and even thought that it was a sick joke at one point because of the way it was phrased. He originally thought that she had been talking about his lynx, a necessity for the one armed boy to have as both protection and for help with his trivial lifestyle but then he realized that there had to have been others to get this riddle from Salvia before. He wondered if it had been the same riddle that Elphaba ha gotten, or maybe even his own father, for he too had been born in Salsola. Coaxoch did not know that his father had left before getting his Cueponi, and how rebellious the male was as a child, and Coax would have been inclined to ask his father about the Cueponi more if the boy had not been secretive about wanting to keep his ascension in rank just that - a secret. Sure, his father and mother would eventually find out but during the time, of him actually doing it, he would not have their help, not guidance, because he didn't want it.

He paced back and forth in his home, with his pale feline following him back and forth and mewling at him to ask him what was wrong. Coax's blue eyes looked at the feline once again. "Is this all just a cruel game to Salvia?" he asked himself plenty of times, having stumped him as he finally found himself a seat in his kitchen. Nephele had watched him for about an hour of the boy's anxiety before she had gone to wash dishes. "I swear she is just...making.." his demeaning thoughts of the Boss and how this all might have been a cruel joke ceased as the boy looked at the dripping water from the wet tendrils of the woman's arms. Her fur was long, and she often did not use gloves when she cleaned the fragile dishes that they used for Till's Dates. "fun..." his internal dialogue was distracted as the drops of water caught his ears. It was obvious when it was right in front of him. His tail wagged gently as he ran over the words she had told him one more time.

"Bring me a killer you cannot live without." he repeated and looked at his hands, his claws. The Cerberus had taught him how to harm with them, for he would not always have a weapon. "A Killer.." he touched his teeth that had been long replaced with adult one, he wondered if his parents had hidden away his baby teeth, for the boy had been horribly excited when he lost them and he showed them to his mother and father. Nephele. he spoke suddenly, the woman flinching at the sudden call of her name. She whipped around and looked at the youth with her bright bi-colored eyes. She cocked her head in silent questioning, having long known that she could not make meaningful sounds with her severed tongue. Do you know where my mother put my baby teeth? I need them. he told her, nodding his head lightly as he told her this. He was confident that this could work for his riddle. It had to have, because without teeth you could not eat, and without eating, you could die. Teeth could also kill you, should you let them get too close to your throat.

Nephele nodded lightly and put down her task to help the male find his small teeth. Coax followed along behind her as she led him to a cabinet and she opened the top drawer. Elody's trinkets were spread about but there was a small box in the corner that Nephele picked up and handed to the boy. Coax traced the carved wooden box with an interested finger bfore he yanked it open and saw his baby teeth. He smiled at Nephele and nodded once more. You have helped me in more ways than you know. Thank you, you may return to your duties. he told her and dismissed her so that he could show his findings to Salvia. He closed his box and motioned for Ixion to follow along with him as he took his cape and left the Old Wall and headed straight to the dwelling of the Boss.

Coax had given his training some use then, leaving quietly and moving in such a way that his footsteps were inaudible in the thick snow that covered their homeland. Ixion had to try a lot less with this technique because of the way his paws were formed, but the Cerberus had taught Coax the importance of not letting yourself be seen, and most of all, not being heard. Coax had to practice this, because he was expected to sneak up on the dark male one of these days, and until then he would be drilled and criticized until he got it right. No one ever said that Dullahan was the best teacher, nor was he an easy one. Till had not thought much of this when he had told the male to watch over the kin, but he did know that Dullahan's experience was some of the most valuable that he could have been taught. He was being taught by the son of the Boss, so it was only appropriate for him to take his training a little bit more serious than he would if he was being trained by another of the Family, or worse, an Associate.

It took him some time to get to the Boss's home, but when he did he straightened up and brushed debris from his coat. He checked his belt to make sure the box was still secured and then he tapped on the door. Boss, It is Coaxoch. I have the answer to my Cueponi. he told her with as deep and loud of a voice he could muster. Thankfully, he did not inherit his father's nervous nature, else he would have twitched much like Till did when under the gaze of the acidic stare of the Boss herself.

Avvie by Jmonster, signature image by Motth@FA
Salsola
The Warden
Jmonster
Luperci
SPRING IS COMING
ARE YOU WITH ME?
This World Keeps Twisting

POSTED: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm

It was a curious time for young people to come of age, Salvia thought. They would remember war and the conflict as to which it brought against the peace which had held Salsola for so long – natural disasters notwithstanding – and come to be shaped by it. Rumors as to the source and the reason plagued her thoughts like moths drawn to flame, and it was all she could do to remain calm. It would be reckless to act without patience, and she was too old to do so.

People were getting hurt, though. She imagined, in time, some would die.

Her home became abuzz with activity beyond the norm, with Stannis brooding over maps and theorizing at their enemies movements. It seemed as if they were missing crucial pieces of the puzzle, and this was slowing their efforts down.

There were other duties to attend to beyond conflict, though, and they included mundane tasks like caring for horses and hunting. Her husband and grandson had gone to see to the latter of these, taking her falcon at Salvia's suggestion. The bird could hunt, certainly, but she felt safer knowing they had extra eyes upon them. These days, she did not allow O'Riley to go anywhere unattended.

She was working sweet-smelling oils into the leather pieces of Tiger's hackamore. She did this regularly during the winter, when the weather threatened the quality of her materials. It was a task she enjoyed – the extra oil sunk into her skin and the fur around her fingers, softening them despite constant exposure to the season and all that came with it.

A knock brought her to her feet, and she supposed it was good and well most of her work was conducted at home these days with so many visitors looking for her.

Amused by the boy's attempt to sound like a man, she was smiling when she opened the door. He had been so eager to find his independence, and Salvia wondered if the disability was to account for this. Proof of one's worth had to be earned.

Well, come in and show me what you have brought, she said, and gestured for him to step indoors – though she did not invite him in further, waiting to see whether or not he had brought a worthy answer.

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 pm

OOC: text in <--> is him talking in German <3 WC: 569

The smile on her face was new. Coaxoch had never spent much time around the woman to know if she was a particularly a happy wolf but he imagined that, by the way that his father talked about her sometimes, that she wore a scowl all the time and was pretty much the Big Bad Grandmother. He did not know if she was busy, or if she was really even home, but he imagined that she was one of the women that Salsola would not let participate in battle, but he also would be very wrong to think that she was incapable of battle. Her toned body told him that she was far from weak, even in her older age, though to him, she still looked youthful, even if others who knew of her in her youth could see the smallest of cracks. Coax's bright eyes peered at the woman as a wide smile came across his face. He showed her no fear, only respect for her rank in that he let his large ears tilt back and his muzzle point down. His nub of a tail clung close to his rump, too, showing what little submissiveness he could there. He wanted to be treated like an adult, and this was what made him act as "adult-ty" as possible.

He smiled much like his father but to a smaller degree, for Coaxoch was a very different creature than his father. He had been slightly more serious than Till, and infinitely more temperamental, thanks to his mother - while Till could be found with a smile of many occasions, a man who had to prove himself by showing that he was friendly in most occasions. Coaxoch was much like his father in the sense that he was a worshiper, a witch in training, but still a warrior like his mother. Tough, for a kid. He'd proven that much by how he adapted as a tripod.

When Coaxoch was invited in, he took a step towards her and it was then when the sweet smell passed his nose. He took note of it and wondered of the sweet scent. He wanted to ask her but he knew that Salvia was a business woman and knew for her to not beat around the bush. She had asked him then of his answer to her riddle that he thought he had found. He felt the nervousness bubble in the pit of his stomach as he took the box from his belt and looked to her once more. He used his chest to pull the top off of the box carefully and he used two fingers to pull out his baby canine tooth to show her. It was tiny compared to his adult teeth and he almost felt as if his answer had been so small and insignificant. He reminded himself quickly that he needed to have confidence that he was right and this was when he presented the small tooth to her.

Your teeth kill your prey, and another's teeth can kill you. They both are weapons and necessities to live. he told her, having pushed his box back into his pocket and then holding up the largest of his old, smaller teeth. Is this what you meant by your riddle, Boss? he asked, hoping to the Red God that he had given her the right answer for the riddle.

Salsola
The Warden
Jmonster
Luperci
SPRING IS COMING
ARE YOU WITH ME?

POSTED: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:10 pm

The whole while he moved, Salvia watched his motions. She paid particular attention to how he compensated for lacking an arm, though this was subtle – her focus was on his hand, mostly, and the objects which were presented to her. They were little, pearly things whose color was only marred near the roots as was natural.

Then, surprisingly, she laughed.

It was a strange sound, and one which did not last long. The honesty of it made the sound clear, but it was short-lived and carried harsh, guttural notes to it.

Salvia shook her head and then grinned, revealing her golden canines. It might have been a hostile expression if not for the mirth in her eyes.

What a clever answer, Coaxoch, the Boss complimented, and finally motioned towards the empty couch in her sitting area. Go sit down.

She left him then, turning back towards the closed doors near the back of the building. Salvia moved into one of these but did not leave the entrance open. Inside, the noise of objects moving sounded every now and again.

Eventually, she returned with a small leather pouch in her hands.

The thing about all riddles, she began again, making her way towards the tall-backed chair in which she then sat. Is that they are multifaceted – things are not always what they seem to be. There is not always one right answer to a problem. It is important that you always look at things in this way; you will face challenges that no other Salsolan has endured.

Here, her eyes turned directly to his missing arm. After a long moment, they returned to his face.

This is not a place for weakness. You are not some Outsider, you are a Salsolan. Familia Fortis Elegit, she reminded him seriously.

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

OOC: text in <--> is him talking in German <3 WC:784

She...laughed? Coax drew back lightly, and the sounds that came from the woman made his large coyotesque ears pull forward toward her. He blinked once, twice, as his eyes turned from the tooth to her, and the sound that was so short but a signal of joy had confused him. His eyes found the smile on her maw, the gold glinting in his eyes as he stared at her undoubtedly in confusion. He didn't understand if she was laughing at him for real and she had been startled from his honesty, or if his answer had been so stupid that it was rewarded with laughter. If he had the time to step back he would be confused about if the woman had even laughed at all, with how weird the sound was on his ears. His uncertainties went through him as quickly as it came, and he was awarded with the woman's voice once more, though this time, they were words. "Clever?" the word came across him and he cocked his head lightly. His smile only dropped lightly too, only because he still had a look of confusion in him. It was her invitation that made his nub tail wag furiously, and he almost danced with excitement as he was invited over to Salvia's couch. There was a little bounce in the boy's step as he found his way to where he was told to sit.

Coaxoch laughed lightly too, and his smile crept on his face as he sat there. Coax didn't know what to do with his new excitement and in this way he really did seem like a puppy, but also a young Till. He panted lightly, as if he was hot, but in all reality it was the only thing that kept him as still as he could be. He didn't want to seem like he was over-excited, no, he wanted to be seen as an adult. He was sure that hi own parents had trouble enough seeing that he was growing up, and that he couldn't be coddled forever. In fact, he didn't want to be coddled at all. He didn't want to always be watched and have to be with his father or mother, or him. He was not expecting her to leave him there immediately, but she went behind a door shrouded in mystery. His ears tilted up and towards the door as he looked to the door and where she had gone.

The next long moments were spent in contemplative silence. It had to be what felt like the longest moments, but he did not find himself restless. His excitement perked with each of the rustles of movement in the room. He could only wonder what she was doing. He spent the entirety of the silence in contemplation of what could be next for him.

When she finally emerged from the room his eyes fell upon a small leather pouch that she had in her hand, and then he looked back to her muzzle. She started to talk as she made her way towards him and a chair that faced the couch adjacent to him. He watched her as she sat tall in her chair, but relaxed in her home. He wondered if this was basically like her throne. Was this her throne room? If it was, Coaxoch couldn't help but think it was comfortable enough, and definitely more personal.

She explained to him that he would endure trials that were not like any other Salsolan, and the long pause as her gaze lowered to the missing him was torturous. They words she said were serious, he knew, and boy did he also know that he would have troubles that were different than most. Coax nodded his head lightly at her, his hand absently moving to touch the end of the stump. He turned his head lightly to the space where his arm would occupy, imagining what it would be like to have two hands, and knowing that it would be much easier to have it, and he could rely on strength more so than his head space. I will do anything to make Salsola proud of me. the boy spoke to the Tigress, bowing his head lightly and blinking his large springtime colored eyes. He would turn them back to her when she spoke again, with large ears pointed towards her. Familia Fortis Elegit. he repeated to her, knowing the foreign words as their creed. I will never let you or Salsola down, My Queen. I promise this on my life. the Wendigo child told her, with confidence shining in his bright eyes.

Salsola
The Warden
Jmonster
Luperci
SPRING IS COMING
ARE YOU WITH ME?

POSTED: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:20 pm

You can feel free to change any of the colors that make up his gift! You can also PP her giving him some lamb/sheep meat to take home. :>

Pomp had never been an integral part of her rule, though Salvia was not foolish enough to dismiss it entirely. Salsola encouraged things like wealth and self-value. It was why they dressed in finery and feasted as a group, and why they collected things when they surely had more than enough to survive comfortably already. They could, and that was enough.

Inevitably, collections became tailored to the people who kept them. An individual developed and displayed their personality by what they wore, or what they kept. One could look at a person and see what they were – they would not mistake a warrior for a healer, or a slave for a master. It made things easier, and it allowed for the machinery of her kingdom to function even to an ignorant mind.

Young people were malleable. It was part of why the pack encouraged them to break away from their parents so early.

That is all I ask, she told him. Each oath given was another promise to defend the homeland and obey the Law – her Law.

You now act as a man of Salsola, and given the rights as a member of our Family. This is my gift to you, the Boss announced with formality. She then undid the cord which held the bag shut, loosened this, and shook free a necklace from within. It was accented by colorful tassels made from leather, with shaped beads of various origin and smaller metal spacers between. The pendant was a piece of polished bone shaped to resemble a large tooth, and capped with metal.

She passed the necklace and its pouch over to the boy, and regarded him and his ruined form a moment more. If he had been born like that, she wondered, would his parents have let him live?

With a peculiar smile, she rose back to her feet.

I'm sure you will want to tell your parents the good news, but allow me to send you back with something to eat. It is not every day that one becomes a man, after all.

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 pm

ooc: dis my last post, thanks muchly for the fast and awesome thread Mel! [658]

Coax couldn't have been more proud of himself, nor could he be even more excited for what the future held him. He was going to be "part of the pack" now, holding a rank over those who were Outsiders. Coax would learn what it truly meant to be a Family member from the Cerberus, once he had caught wind of it (and honestly Coax was sure that he would be one of the first to know) would be sure to let Coax know the burden of being a new adult, a man instead of a boy. When the woman finally called him a man, he felt his nub tail flick back and forth in excitement. If he was more observant of himself he would have put his hand down to stop it, but he also was handed a bag with a necklace inside of it. He was an interesting piece of jewelry, and while he knew his father and mother did not wear trinkets such as these - Till had his Cotona on his neck, and Elody was not a woman of trinkets - he knew that this was a piece that was fated for him. He smiled a toothy smile to her, wider than his polite one that rested on his maw while they conversed and this time one that was excited and proud. Coax sat up and visibly puffed out his chest as he pushed the piece of jewelry past his ears and it fell to rest on his broad chest. He looked down to it and then looked back to her with the same, happy smile.

Coax nodded lightly to her. "Thank you, Boss. I will make you proud, or so may the Gods punish me." the boy spoke to her and gave the woman another respectful bow. He knew too that the woman would know the household he was raised in and how seriously Till had been taking the Gods' will within the past months especially. The boy would grow up to be a witch like his father, but because of his bravery and his insecurities he could easily melt into the warrior lifestyle that he had expressed an interest in so far. His father's teachings of the Gods made for good and interesting bed time stories, and the devotion that Till showed the other made for good habit to form, but still it would be some time before the boy-man to look inwards for solace and peace. It'd be even longer until he had come to learn the peace that only old wolves seemed to find in themselves, for Coax still had a long time to grow into an old man.

She had gone ahead and offered him a celebratory feast for him and his family, and this was something that he wondered if it was normal or not. Did she pity him or did she truly like him enough to help him in any way that she could? Was this all just a test? There was no way for the man to know Salvia's intentions, but he stood when she motioned for him to come with her to her kitchen. She prepared a flank for him and put it in a rope that would be easier for the one-armed man to carry. He was grateful, and wore a smile to show this. I cannot thank you enough for this opportunity, My Queen. he spoke, suddenly feeling as if he owed her something more than he could give her now. He grew nervous once more, but knew not of why.

When she finally gave him the rope with the meat attached to it, he grabbed it and bowed his head once more before being led out of her home. It took him the entire walk back home to realize that this was all for real and it wasn't just an elaborate joke, or even worse, a long dream.

Salsola
The Warden
Jmonster
Luperci
SPRING IS COMING
ARE YOU WITH ME?

Dead Topics