And the stars flicker like the last glimmer of her eyes

POSTED: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 pm

OOC: Weird assumptions because chickens used to be in the barn (when Loki was a puppy) but a recent wiki page says they’re in a coop so idk. xD

IC:
Snow blanketed the meadow and decorated the spruce and pine at the edges of the great mire, and fell lightly on pale hair and dark as the pair of Luperci made their way to the sprawl of pasture. Sheep and horses watched them pass, and as they neared the corrals a cow lowed and pranced toward them.

Katinka laughed at this and went to greet Selma, kissing her forehead and scratching her neck as the cow sighed contentedly.

The dark coyjackal stood off to the side and watched with her intent catlike stare, folding arms across her chest to keep herself warm. She was dressed in furs and rough-looking clothing to avoid falling ill from the cold weather, but still shivered when she thought that the girl wasn’t looking.

“She likes you,” Khael said coolly.

Tink flushed and nodded. “Most of ’em do, the cattle,” she answered, and gave Selma one last pat before continuing toward the large barn. “Got a knack.”

The Associate padded after her, watching as Katinka approached a wooden coop with mesh fencing, a ragged-looking thing that had obviously been repaired several times over. “So this is what you do?” she asked. “Care for the animals?”

“Yeah, for now at least. I’d love to do a little more once I’ve settled.”

“You are more settled than me.”

Katinka looked over her shoulder at the dark woman, tilting her head and twitching her ears, but then Khael smiled and Tink mirrored this. The jackal walked over to the edge of the coop. “Eggs, then? Beats going out to raid nests.” She peered in, angling her head to see inside the coop, where most of the chickens were hiding in protest of the snow. Then she looked at Tink. “Are they meant to be able to get out?” she asked, and at once Katinka barked.

The white hen scattered at the noise, dashing across the yard. Tink ran after it, growling, and Khael strolled after her at an unhurried pace, idly plucking at the furs covering her forearm.

Meanwhile, the wolfdog turned the corner and, spotting a figure heading in her direction, shouted: “Grab her!”
Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka

POSTED: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Comparing the resource deficiencies of Salsola proper with the surplus of wares at the outpost meant Neith had to glance beyond the stores and shelves and into the barns and stables, much to his chagrin. He knew nothing of animal care, and considered much of their maintenance to be dirty, laborious work suited for the slaves. Caring for the horses perhaps was a different story, especially when several within the tightest circles prioritized their breeding, yet still Neith left the responsibility to someone else. More than sheep and cows and mules, Neith disliked horses.

Uncertain where to find the collection of hens so as to count them he explored the barn and cursed the terrible smells there, then sighed with some relief upon spotting the telltale coops and fencing. There was a bark, a small commotion, and a hen came running towards him with a woman rounding the corner in pursuit. She called out to him.

"You're joking," he said, and stepped harmlessly aside and watched the hen hasten past with hooded eyes.

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm

The white hen ran as if to escape the butcher's block, darting past a corral and chancing the tall, well-dressed figure whom Katinka called out to -- a risk that paid off, as the man merely stepped aside to allow the chicken to make its escape rather than throw himself in the snow after her.

At once a frustrated growl rose strangled from Tink's fair throat, and her blue eyes zeroed in on the cool green-toned ones for an instant (as if to say, "You're next") before she ran past him, clucking.

Sauntering behind at her own pace, the dark coyjackal was smiling much like a vixen that sat watching the coop, and paused near the man with her eyes on the sprinting girl. Her ears were cocked toward him, however, and it was he whom she addressed, in her smooth, desert-accented purr.

"All that energy. I'd admire it if it didn't make her look so foolish."

Then her ears pricked and brows lifted in surprise as Katinka flung herself at the chicken, at last catching her, a startled squawk muffled by her garments as she sprawled on the fowl. She wrestled it until it could be pinned under an elbow, lifting a hand to smooth the wayward hairs at her forehead before she made neat strides back to the others.

"Thanks for your help," Tink said to both, grimacing.

"Oh, how adorable," Khael remarked to the stranger, and Tink glared at her, flushed, before looking at him.

"You too good for this?" she asked, and the hen clucked dejectedly.
Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka

POSTED: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 pm

The blonde in pigtails glared at him with a look far more intense than the situation could possibly call for. Her dark (and clearly more rational) companion joined his side, and together the two watched as the blonde threw herself unceremoniously on the clucking pest and subdued it.

Eyed half-lidded, Neith tipped his head towards the coyjackal and observed with a smile, "Foolish perhaps, but the pretty ones can get away with anything."

He curbed his chuckle by the time the disheveled blonde and her troublemaker hen made their way back bitter and sarcastic. The coyjackal responded accordingly, but Neith regarded the blonde with sincerity.

"Well, yes. I might suggest chasing chickens and crawling around in the dirt be left to the slaves. It doesn't suit you." This was, of course, calling into assumption she and her friend were not slaves themselves, but judging by their dress and carriage he did not believe it so. Better to err on the flattering side either way.

"My name is Neith Heiwa. It's a pleasure to meet you both." The young man of rusting tones made for a slight but elegant bow of her head. He untucked a leather-wrapped journal from under his arm and tapped a stick of graphite to it, smiling. "I was hoping to take stock of the hens and their necessities in the case we needed to have something brought up from Portland. You seem to be ... acquainted well enough with them, might you be able to help me?"

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 pm

00+ sass

See galleries for credit.

The smile that mirrored the silver man's was feline. They can, can't they, agreed Khael, and placed a hand on her hip as she watched the farmgirl march toward them.

Katinka could not quite bring herself to challenge the ember gaze, which was always too intense to linger upon, but she looked in the well-dressed Luperci's face as he answered. The compliment twisted her mouth into a stern grimace, and she lifted her nose. I think it does suit me. I'm strong enough to do my own work -- not some feeble woman who falls on the reliance of slaves for simple tasks. Do you have other people do everything for you?

Khael laughed at that, and looked deviously toward the man to see what his reaction would be to this slight.

But offended by the chastisement or not, the stranger introduced himself with a name Tink found slightly familiar (but not impressive enough to make her hesitate). He explained his purpose with a tap of his journal, and mention of her home made Tink's ears swivel forward. She dropped her antagonism with an ease that suggested it had never meant to be harmful in the first place, readjusting the hen under her arm.

Of course. Off the top of my head I can't think of what we might need, but I do suspect that we might need a new coop for 'em. Come with me? She hoisted the chicken to suggest that she would be returning it to its home, which would need thorough inspection.

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka

POSTED: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Her retaliation was to be expected, though Neith recoiled and raised his brows in the face of it. The Heiwa understood her point well enough, and besides, she was a part of the beating heart of Salsola. As a non-slave, she had the capacity to fill her time with whatever activities she pleased, given they did not bring shame to the family. Why one would willingly choose farmwork and chasing hens, however, Neith did not know. He dusted his shoulders at the thought of it.

With this in mind, he considered his words carefully and glanced honest eyes between the two women. “This might come across as insensitive, but... well, if you’re doing the slaves’ work and we won’t very well release them, what value are their lives trapped here?”

Regardless of his unintentional offense, the blonde dropped the argument and agreed to help. The chicken under her arm, barn scent and braids askew lent a certain charm Neith had experienced only as witness during negotiations in Portland, where trades at the Salsolan outpost attracted a variety of walks of life. She was not a misfit, necessarily, but a fresh perspective. A new type of blossom among the Thistles.

“Much appreciated. And what are your names?” Following the blonde, Neith jotted a note on a new coop into his journal.

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:46 pm

00+

See galleries for credit.

Neith raised another point about the slaves, and Katinka's mouth opened to spout a quick retort -- but nothing came out. Certainly the work of slaves could be done by Salsolans without keeping others as property, but Tink always saw the trells as assistance. She did not need to rely on Tarat, for instance, to do simplistic tasks such as catch chickens -- but if a temperamental boar was too much for her to handle alone, she called for him.

Khael, meanwhile, scoffed. All men have their place. For some, it is to lead; others, to serve. Her voice was its usual steady purr, but firmer than usual. These slaves, if they were freed, what do you think they would do? Where would they go? Here they have order and purpose. And she sounded so confident in this that Katinka mumbled agreement -- if only because the trells she'd seen were so old, so sad.

The topic changed as they walked, the chicken occasionally muttering in Katinka's arms, and letting up an angrier cluck when, startled, the wolfdog bounced her arms slightly. Oh, apologies -- I'm Katinka Holt. Her tail wagged. My family runs a dairy farm in Portland.

Khael Lykoi, the coyjackal said, and smiled.

Salsola
The Warden (NPC)
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka

POSTED: Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 pm

The woman named Khael echoed his sentiments on subject of slaves; validated and prideful, Neith squared his shoulders and hooded his eyes. To live a lifetime in slavery was a shame and a years-long squandering of breath and energy, but their struggles were not in vain. The lesser classes of Salsola made easier the processes of the upper echelon and enabled them to develop their world and resources. Build the population. Establish trade routes. Grow as a society. This was how Neith Heiwa justified in his mind a terrible, tragic thing.

"Khael, Katinka,” he said, nodding to each in turn a more proper greeting. Funny; Katinka looked every part the farmgirl she claimed to be. "In Portland, you say? I spent a number of months there with my family, helping with the outpost. What in the Goddess’s name inspired you from a world like that one, to a world like this one?”

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

Dead Topics