easy left me a long time ago

POSTED: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Let me know if you need me to change anything!

Making a point to avoid Fang (if only to avoid confrontation), Dove met with the medic Harosheth often and eagerly, finding solace in the old woman. Though cold and aloof at times, Harosheth had a slight tendency to coddle—something young Dove hadn't realized she yearned for, given the absence of her parents and siblings for some time. Harosheth had little to say about the Kimaris line the two women shared, only that they were most intertwined with the Lykoi family, and the two met often to talk healing and Inferni.

It was Harosheth, in all her clan wisdom and experience, who suggested Cartier when Dove mentioned her snapped bowstring. "Basilio is busy enough. Cartier is not, not since his injury. Bring your bow to him."

Dove didn't know what the injury was. She didn't know Cartier called himself Vesper's son, Oriole's father, Inferni's former subleader. She didn't know anything more than his name and that he had earned the respect of the old woman Dove herself respected. Harosheth walked Dove to his second-floor room in the mansion, knocked for her, then dismissed herself back up the hall without so much as a farewell.

Dove wrung the bow in her hands, cleared her throat and spoke to the closed door. "Hello? Harosheth said someone here could help me with my bow, if anyone's home."

all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 am

316 Words

Given that most of his time had been spent in bed Cartier had borrowed a Bible, that he had yet to return, to occupy his time with. Months had been spent in the same place with very little moments of reprieve. There had been times when he could no longer stand to be cooped up and he had slipped out but the excursions had never lasted for too long because he hadn't the stamina for it. Even though he was technically healed now he still couldn't handle long bouts of activity, though that didn't mean that he still didn't try.

So while he still rose early, a practice he had from before the accident when he could go out and patrol, he remained in bed. He had waited to see Jehan off, for the dog had now become more of a contributing member to Inferni than he was. He had the Bible on his lap, one leg stretched out and the other tucked close, and was doing his devotions when there was a knock on the door. He recognized the cadence of the knock from when Harosheth would bring him poppy tea to help with the pain. Though the voice that followed it wasn't one that he recognized.

Coming. He called out and set the book to the side. He tried to push himself up but had trouble getting his feet under him and he ended up falling back into the pile of furs that was his bed. He tried this a few more times but it all ended with the same result. It's open. Just come on it. He ended up calling out after his failure to rouse himself ended in a sharp pain in his side. He squeezed his eyes shut and gritted his teeth, holding onto his ribs as he waited for the pain to subside. Too quick of movements still bothered him.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Granted permission from within, Dove turned the handle, peeked through the crack, and let herself in.

The young Reverie explored first with her eyes the walls and ceiling and beds, then dwelt on a lingering scent inside that was familiar yet difficult to place. At last her eyes fell on the man among the furs, a look about his features that read a mixture of pain and shame. At a glance no obvious wounds on his person drew her attention, but she did eye the particularly thick book in his hands and hoped it had a lot of pictures for its size.

”Um. I’m Dove. Are you Cartier?” Sheepish, she held up the bow and snapped bowstring. To save herself the humiliation, she didn’t tell him how it had broken. ”Harosheth said you might know how to restring this.”

Wary of his grimacing, Dove debated her words carefully to best pry out of him what was wrong. Harosheth had mentioned an injury, and Dove expected her fellow Kimaris would ask about him when she returned. ”It’s nice outside. You should take your book out.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:24 pm

368 Words

The room wasn't much to behold. There were piles of furs on the floor; one large pile that Jehan and Cartier shared, then separate piles for each Oriole, Magpie, Serenity, and Clover. The floor was stained with circles of dye, most a reddish purple color that Cartier has streaked a section of his hair with but also a blue and a green could be found from where he had enticed Clover when she had been younger. Cartier didn't have much in the way of possessions aside from his pile of weapons kept in a corner of the room. The clutter of objects belonged to Jehan, a number of small and shiny items had gained a home on the window ledge along with the jars of dyes that Cartier kept.

Yeah, that's me. The coyote spoke once the pain had subsided enough to allow him to do so. He eased his eyes open to look at the woman who had addressed him. His eyes immediately fixated upon the bow with its broken string. Yeah, I can do that up for you real quick. He pointed towards where his own bow rested against the wall in the corner of the room. Just bring me that there. You can have the string from it. I'm not using it anymore. Heck, you can just take the whole thing. Sure, he could hunt with it but it just wasn't the same. Such a masterfully crafted bow needed a better use than a life as a hunting instrument.

Cartier chuckled wryly when he was reminded of the weather outside. That is easier said than done. He motioned to his outstretched ankle with a sweep of his hand. It doesn't really want to function properly today. Some days were worse than others. Today was simply one of those days.

How do you know Harosheth anyways? You another one of her pet projects? That was how Cartier had come to see himself. He was just an object for the aging medic to fuss and worry over. Though she had always been a mentor to him. He didn't partake in the healing arts himself but she had taught him Spanish and told him about his absent father.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Dove handed him her bow but paused when he offered for her to keep his own. To hand off a gift that personal to him raised a number of flags. Dove drew back her hand without disturbing his weapon in the corner. "You'll still use this. There must be a way to fix mine without tearing apart this one."

He seemed to imply his foot or ankle was the cause for his troubles, though the untrained eyes of Dove identified nothing irregular at a glance. She wouldn't have faulted him for babying were it a valid injury, but Dove couldn't imagine the torture involved in spending all hours of the day cooped up indoors.

Dove looped his bow around her torso, scooped up the Bible from the bed and shook her head at him as he mentioned Harosheth. "No." She reached out an arm for him to take. "Carry my bow, we're going out. What else do you need to fix it?"

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 pm

342 Words

Not for what it was meant to be used for. I can no longer be a warrior. I don't move quick enough now. Not to mention that his steps weren't always quiet. I can hunt with it but that just seems a waste. Standing for long periods of time can be troublesome too. It didn't always hurt him but frequently enough there felt to be a stiffness in the joint that cause it to ache when he kept weight on it for extended periods of time.

With a sigh Cartier took the woman's arm that was held out to him. You are going to have to pull. My ankle isn't supporting my attempts today. And he had tried and failed, which had led to him calling out rather than opening the door himself. His other hand held onto the woman's bow with the tip placed against the floor to also serve in helping to support him.

What I need depends on what you usually string your bow with. What do you feel comfortable working with? It didn't matter what he liked to use on his own bow, only what she liked on hers. What feel she enjoyed the best. Personally he used sinew for his own bow. But just because he chose that for his own didn't mean that he was going to force it on her as well. He'd tried other sources of fiber in the past but sinew was simply what he was most comfortable with.

If you don't want sinew we are going to have to stop by storage and see what has been collected in there. And if she wanted sinew then he had some tucked into the bottom of his quiver. It was a spot that he hadn't bothered to move it from since he first hid it there to keep it away from the curious mouth of puppies. It wouldn't hurt them to get a hold on it but he simply kept it out of reach just so that he would have something to work with.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 pm

There was such little effort made to hide her exaggerated eye-rolls that one might have wondered if she did so with intent for him to see. Following his repeated complaints Cartier complied and allowed her to support his weight up off the bed and out the door. She was a scrawny, weak little thing; her knees and arms trembled with atrophy as Dove stood in as crutch for his bad leg and walked Cartier slowly, silently, out the door, down the stairs and out the mansion doors into the marshy early spring.

“You might as well roll over and croak if you’re just going to lie around all day,” she said en route to the shed. Harsh, maybe, but the way this adult whined, she thought he needed to hear some hard logic. Besides, what was he doing to do? Swing at her? She’d drop him on his oh-so-bad ankle and leave him writhing in the dirt. “It’ll be worse if you baby the injury. I watched it happen at home a couple times. What happened to you, anyway?”

Dove left him leaning at the doorway of the shed and made her way in herself. “Where’s the sinew in here?”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm

426 Words

Once he was finally on his feet Cartier was semi-ambulatory. He still used the woman's bow to help support him so that all of his weight wasn't added to her own, so that she didn't have to fully hold him. It was mostly only help getting up that he needed. Once he was on his feet he could make it on his own. You can let go now. He said once he felt the woman struggling. His pace was still slow though, for now he limped rather than walked.

God willing, that will happen. Perhaps he might snatch you up as well since you care none for yourself either. Cartier knew all about disregarding one's self for other things. While he often worked past exhaustion he had never gone as far as forgetting to eat. Though if hunting had been unsuccessful for the day then he would take smaller portions to make certain that his family had enough. This woman didn't seem to be doing any of that. She looked as if she might purposefully be trying to waste away.

Cartier winced when he put weight on his bad ankle and had to quickly remove it again when the joint started to buckle. He cursed lowly under his breath as the action caused him to stumble a few steps before he was able to regain his rhythm again. Fell through the floor in the storage room and on into the basement. Fractured the ankle and cracked the ribs according to Harosheth. Then there were the minor cuts I got but they are hardly worth mentioning. They were nothing compared to the interlaced scarring the covered his back. Since he hadn't been doing penance for awhile they had all managed to heal up. She said I had to stay off it for awhile so it could heal up. Didn't exactly do that and am paying for it now.

Cartier was grateful for the break in movement and leaned against the door frame, keeping most of the weight off his bad ankle. I have no idea. I keep my own supply. Never really saw the need to take from community stores when I had always been able to manage on my own. Granted he wasn't able to do that so well now. Would ask if you can hunt but from the look of you that would be a stupid question. He pushed away from the door frame in order to help her look. Do you know what you are looking for? He asked as he moved things around.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Once Dove got him moving, Cartier was not as disabled as he made or thought himself to be, whichever the case. He hadn’t much choice; while Dove could support him to some extent, she was a lithe and tiny thing and he had to put forth some effort to make up for what of him she could not carry. She said nothing when he retorted her insult with his own, not offended but put properly in her place.

“That sucks,” Dove said, the visualization of his fall drawing a shudder out ofh er shoulders. She remembered the strengthening activities she watched the elder Junipers perform to keep their stamina and musculature sustainable enough to keep up with their fellow nomads. “Once it’s warmer out, I’ll show you some stuff. Consider it payback for this.”

While she glanced the stores he insulted her a second time, and Dove kept quiet until prompted. “No, I’ve never been in here.” Her tone wounded she continued, more to herself than to Cartier, “This was a stupid idea.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm

303 Words

Especially when a large chair had decided to follow me. Would have been nice if it had broken his fall but that hadn't been the case. Cartier had got to feel exactly what cement felt like after you fell a story. I wouldn't suggest deciding to try it. Cartier's ability to make a joke was still lacking, though now apparently his manners had gone missing as well. I can't say if payback is something that I should want. The word had always seemed to have held negative connotations whenever he had heard it used. Granted it was usually from wolves whom were looking to start trouble.

It is white and stringy looking. Cartier attempted to explain what it was that they were looking for. Jehan knows this place better than I do. He is the one that straightened it all up when looking for things to trade. Cartier picked through some pottery and eventually found what it was that he was looking for.

He ended up pulling it out and turning towards the woman. Here you go. This is what you are looking for. He held up a large mass of fibrous substance. How are you at braiding? For the small pieces would need to be twined together into a single piece so that it could be used as a string. You are going to want it all the same thickness the whole way throughout.

Already his fingers had set themselves to work at untangling to mass. Take a bit and do it like this. He held up his work, showing off how he was twisting a few pieces together. He shifted around so that he could be closer to the wall and leaned against it. You need to make it long and strong enough to tie from one end to the other.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
DEAD
Luperci
fire on the hillside
sinner

Dead Topics