the gods still feel like they're cutting their teeth

POSTED: Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 pm

open for anyone! set somewhere around charon's landing for reference. :)

Left to her own devices, Litany had set out to explore the vast territory. She had a rough rundown of where things were, but she knew the best way to familiarize herself with anything was simply to get out in the thick of it. So far everything seemed to be going smoothly. Smoother than she thought it would have, given the somewhat rocky trip it had been to get there. Though she was eager to dive in and get going with every little thing imaginable, she also knew she needed to take advantage of a little time to settle in. Rest hadn't quite occurred to her at that point, but other than a little soreness and maybe a tinge of weary to her features, she was in relatively decent shape.

Her footsteps had carried her back out towards the coast, where the salty wind had encouraged her to tie back her hair. It would tangle without fault later and regardless of what she did. The bay had plenty of things to offer and among those she knew she had passed by the village that stood there, but the coast held her attention this time around. Technically, it held her attention again. Litany followed a rather worn trail along the rocky outcropping, completely engrossed in her own thoughts as she gently stepped along. Her attention was honed in on also watching where she stepped; the last thing she needed to do was go about getting herself hurt over something trivial like a loose stone.

Plus, she didn't want to go about showing she was in any way clumsy, either. Not that she was of course, but everyone had their moments and that was something she was not free from. Occasionally she drew her gaze to take in the glimpse of the ocean as it rolled through the bay, the waves almost orderly now compared to when she had first laid eyes on them from another vantage point. Funny, she thought, that had most likely been from further down the coast. She would have never guessed the land to curve the way that it had.

Then again, there was also a time she would have never considered leaving home, either.

Just before she could delve back into the thoughts of home, a call distracted her. Not wolfish or coyote call though. Her steps halted as her ears perked – what was it? She listened for a few moments more before the same call was issued out, a distinct baaa. A swift search pointed out the roll of grassy earth beyond where she stood like a beacon on the damp afternoon, and scattered among it were sheep.

"Well how about that," she mumbled to herself.
word count: 452

POSTED: Fri May 26, 2017 7:30 am

this is poo but HI

In the days before River Lark’s disappearance, she had been a Fera—a caretaker for Inferni’s simpler creatures, whose company she at times much preferred. But after her brother vanished with the end of the war, Dove had become a scout, a Sciens, as if to say her efforts to find her brother coincided with her efforts to maintain pack borders and safety. Whatever the cause, whether scout or caretaker, she too often spent her days and duties alone.

She preferred it that way not long ago. But after the sickness nearly dragged her into the periphery, Dove became all too aware of her shortcomings: her tendencies to snap, to hiss, to turn a shoulder to those seeking to help her. She could not change herself overnight, but she could explore mindsets. She could practice patience. Tolerance. After all, was it not her shoddy attitude that split she and River Lark from Mint and Gust, en route to home?

Baby steps, Dove told herself. She took refuge in the sheep—mindless, simple, straightforward sheep, who never asked too many questions—and busied herself counting their meandering numbers for the first time since she did so as a Fera. The sickness stole away at least a couple; Dove could only wonder where their bodies were left.

She noticed a young woman along outer edge of the knoll, overlooking the sheep. No one she recognized. Dove stepped out from behind the uneven terrace and hooded her eyes with a hand.

How was Dove to best approach this, what with efforts to change her ways? "They’re friendly,” was the best she could offer, as she fought against deep-set instincts to resist unknown faces.

all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sat May 27, 2017 3:07 am

blasphemy, never poo! this however may be. and holy cow wow it's been yearssss, i don't even remember who or when or what our last thread was! <3333

Of the sheep, the one who had proven noisy seemed fixated on something. Naturally Litany suspected it was her, a literal stranger in those parts. She had gotten the gist that there were animals that the coyotes (well, coyote hybrids too) cared for. Horses were the obvious – their tracks were hard to miss among the others, dung notwithstanding. She hadn't done enough investigating to realize that sheep and pigs also fell into that category, though the former was now an inkling in her mind. She watched the sheep for a few beats, only for her gaze to silently count the others that bumbled around without a care for her existence. When her wandering gaze settled back on that particular sheep again, it hadn't moved on. The thought that it was fixated on her was beginning to form.

Of course, that thought had no more brought itself into existence when she realized she was no longer alone with the grazing livestock. The arrival of another swiftly stole her attention away just in time to hear her speak, and immediately Litany was taken by the splotch of red along her narrowed muzzle. Of course the pallor of her pelt drew curiosities forward too, though she was not pale entirely in her appearance. Somehow, she matched the background of the day and the coast with the omission of the sprawling wild grasses.

With her head bobbling in agreement, she had a rejoinder rolling off her tongue with ease: "Good to know." She didn't doubt that they were a little bit on the tamer side of things. She had seen plenty of them get loose before and ones that wanted nothing to do with a potential threat were quick to gain ground in the opposite direction. Unless they were sick or lame, that was.

A smile spread thinly along her features as she looked back to them.

"Are they yours?" The woman didn't strike her as the sort to be a shepherd, all slender and wispy, but she knew better than to assume. It wasn't like she had enough to go about drawing opinions with anyway. What Litany knew about sheep was small in comparison to others that fancied their husbandry. She knew they tasted good and with the right hands and tools, they had soft coats. She knew the purposes therein grew exponentially, but for now they were lost on her.

word count: 399

POSTED: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:41 pm

TOO LONG IS THE ANSWER ;_;

The Reverie made her way up the hill, the wind in the deep neck and sleeves of her loose, draping blouse. Hand perched over her eyes to shade the sun, she made her visual analysis of the young woman therefore subtle, yet even so summoned little to no findings given the woman was silhouetted by the sun and carried herself without eccentricities. She had a pretty shape, though, and nothing in her carriage to scream suspicion.

“Hardly. They’re everybody’s.” Dove shrugged, standing at the woman’s side with her arms crossed. “We’ve no Fera right now, so we need some extra eyes on them. That thing going around last month killed at least a third.”

Dove called herself a Sciens as an excuse for her absences while looking for her brother, Joaquina had passed on suddenly according to the rumors, and the other one or two Fera had otherwise become preoccupied. The war was long since past, yet still Inferni boasted ranks of countless scouts and warriors as if poised and ready for the next. As Dove understood, this was extremely normal for the clan.

Unsmiling, she glanced over sidelong. “Dove. You are?”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 pm

true story, meanwhile as i take sixteen ages to reply... stupid work + heat ugh

Where a gap of space had been considerable between them, Litany felt herself ease more when the woman began to approach her. It was one thing to be in shouting distance of another, sure, but she aimed for conversation. Distance wasn't exactly the sort of thing that screamed conversational, but she was also learning that her newest acquaintance was not exactly the conversational type. There was something in the way she held herself, a certain distance that she discovered she did not know entirely how to handle. It wasn't a new response by any means, but it was a farcry from the rousing welcome she had received. So everyone wasn't like Virue at the front gates, okay, that was easy enough to handle.

But all things considered, at least she was getting to know someone. Sort of.

"I'm Litany," she answered, still beaming something of a smile. "I'm sure you can tell I'm pretty new to these parts and all. I kind of got a rundown about things, but I'm not sure I remember what Fera are. I'm guessing they take care of the sheep?" Her smile faltered a bit as she wondered – was that something she was supposed to remember? The terminology threw her a bit, but she had expected some of it to. They may have been out along the shore like a bunch of country bumpkins but they were far from it. Inferni itself was definitely far from being backward. She didn't know the stories, but the stature spoke for itself. It wasn't like she had gone passing by other places that had decked out their territory with piked skulls and stands in the trees... but then again coyotes had their own little strongholds far and few in between.

POSTED: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 pm

“The sheep, the chickens, the goats,” said Dove, “whatever needs doing. Most of us are scouts and warriors right now. Kind of says a lot about us, if the borders didn’t.”

Dove turned the sun to her back and spent a long and silent moment watching the sheep graze, her expression critical, a thousand thoughts weighing her focus. It was not until a breeze picked up her hair that she was startled from the daze and remembered she had come to mind the sheep in efforts of escaping her thoughts—her sister, the war, the illness—and motioned to Litany to follow her.

“Where you from?” the Reverie asked over her shoulder, approaching the herd. She was not the most apt with conversation, but one could adhere to the basics and pretend.

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 am

ughhh sorry this took me, again, ages. :| but heyyy, now i can flesh out litany more yay

She nodded to the first of what Dove said -- the borders did in fact, speak loud and clear. But she had heard enough about Inferni from traders to know they had a reason to be that way. She had gotten a lot of the same warnings, the usual watch yourself and so on and so forth. They were warnings she had been told all her life, in truth. Even in the rest of the world, it wasn't like coyotes were particularly favored. Their contributions were meager offerings in the eyes of others.

Either way, it all made a lot of sense to her.

But she did hope she had come at more calm times, at least.

As Dove motioned for her to follow, she fell easily into step with the woman as they moved along. The herd seemed not to carry a lot of interest in them now and Litany presumed it was because they didn't find them a threat. Strange, at least to her, how they seemed content to just let the pair draw nearer without feeling the need to take off. Things had been a lot different at home in regards to that, but maybe they seemed to know that they were about to be dinner. She didn't dwell there long; Dove spoke again.

"Uh, Portland," she said as her attention was stolen away, only to clarify, "well, not the place proper. I grew up near there, though. My family did some trading with the folks that passed through. I kind of got tired of just being stuck there and grew up hearing about places around and, well... ventured out." She gave a short laugh, almost finding it silly how her own tale came to be. At least Dove didn't have to ask follow ups -- Litany was keen to keep talking. "But there was another trading town a ways from there that got wiped out. Free... port? Free-something anyway. A lot of the traders come up here and I just followed the route they took. Said there's a real old settlement-city thing. It sounded neat to check out. They told me to go here, too. Said it would be safe for 'my kind'."

Was the emphasis necessary? Too late to go back now. "So yeah, I kind of expected the borders too. What about you? Are you from here?"

POSTED: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:21 pm

She'd never heard of Portland, and evidenced this to Litany by a shrug. Dove had been born a nomad, but knew more about the land itself than its synthetic names and technical terms. Neither did Dove recognize Freeport, but her back stiffened when decimated cities were mentioned.

The Red Star, she thought, more a supposition than a confirmation. After all, with her siblings by her side Dove had seen beginnings of the aftermath for herself: ashen shards of Mother Earth, burnt and falling into the sea. The young Reverie scratched behind the ear of one of the sheep, and relished the feeling of life beneath her fingertips.

"It's safe," she confirmed. "Personal experience. The coyotes here watch out for their own."

Why else would they have inquired about her health so many times? Why did they care?

"But I think the clan runs into a lot of trouble. I'm not from here, but my dad's family is. He didn't have a lot of good things to say about Inferni." The sheep pressed its nose into her palm, and for a moment Dove appeared as if ready to smile. She didn't. "There was a war in winter. It was a nightmare."

Still was, really. "I came to see the thing from the sky, from a traveling pack far west of here." Vague as she was content to be, if only to childishly avoid subject of her problems, Dove continued without room for Litany to ask questions. "We should get them back into their pen in the Village."

Only after she had begun ushering the sheep along did Dove ask, with weighty pause, "Don't you miss your family?"

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

Dead Topics