blue lips, blue tongue, berry season has begun

POSTED: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

The blueberry crops in Bass River have reached their peak, and harvest season can begin. An excellent source of antioxidants, these berries are quite delicious and can be eaten off the bush. If you're looking for more uses, berries can be dried, turned into jams, or even made into dye.

324 Lupus form. Looks like someone has a secret sweet-tooth!

See galleries for credit.

They were delicious. He savored the sweet bounty as one by one they burst in his mouth. The vibrant blue, soft-fleshed berries were addictive even for the disciplined Bellum.

Oriole's summer pelt had grown in sleek, smooth, and richly colored. Which was both advantagious and less so. For one his patrols of the border did not go unnoticed and his wheat hued back could blend in with sun-scorched soil and grasses. On the other hand against a back drop of lush green he stood out like a sore thumb. That was somehow less important now that he had found this bush and it's sweet juicy harvest.

Driver too seemed content to pick at the berries with her shiny black beak. Oriole still wasn't sure what to make of the raven that some weeks ago began to follow him, coming closer and closer as time progressed. Now she seemed to be wherever he was, soaring above on his patrols...feasting ravenously on blueberries.

First he thought he'd tear off the tightly packed bunches and take them to his aunt but then the first fruit exploded on his tongue and since he hadn't been able to stop. His tongue was blue, his teeth. His muzzle was dark and stained and still he raked his teeth down the branches and lashed his tongue greedily over his lips. He'd never tasted something so delicious and that was saying something - his aunt was a great cook.

When he finally sat back panting in the heat he stopped dead in his seat. Leaves and snapped twigs surrounded him on all sides in a cloud of complete and utter destruction. He began to panic. Dirt flew as he dug to hide his mistake. A sizeable clump of grass and soil flew at Driver sending her into the air, feather's flying. Once skyward she let him have it, flapping and cawing, she dove at his rear and closed her beak on his hide.

Last edited by Oriole de l'Or on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oriole de l'Or

Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm

come get lost in the static

She had heard many talking about ‘blueberry season’, but Eire knew nothing of what blueberries were. She had never tried anything other than meat and maybe a few simple herb remedies to fight infections or chase stomach pain away. Anything other than that, however, Eire knew nothing about.

She had been walking on the outskirts of Inferni – where rumors mentioned a few of these bushes rested. She figured she’d find out what all the rave was about, and take some back to the cooks to make herself useful. The nearest bush seemed to already have a visitor, but Eire wasn’t about to just turn around because this bush was occupied.

Though as she got closer, she soon realized why finding another bush might’ve been a better idea. The hungry Luperci sat in a disarray of twigs and leaves, and stained into his muzzle was a blue smear that seemed to stain his fingertips as well. Upon noticing the mess that surrounded him, he tried frantically to hide it by sweeping what he could under the bush, and scattering the rest so it didn’t look so concentrated and suspicious.

A tuft of dirt and grass flopped towards his bird in the frenzy, and the raven seemed to take it personally - such temperamental creatures they were - and without warning, the bird gained air and nose-dove towards the golden mutt's raised rear. Ouch.

Eire couldn’t stifle the guffaw as she witnessed the whole embarrassing affair. This was probably the best thing she had seen the entire week.

She approached, touching the bare leaves of the bush and setting her basket between them. ”Wow, they must’ve been really good. You didn’t even leave any for me.” There was a hint of disappointment in her tone. She couldn’t know if the others bushes were like this, too. Perhaps she was too late. She should have come earlier in the week when talk of the blueberries began.

Leaving her basket between them, she crawled around to the other side of the bush, scanning the branches and the leaves for missed berries. In her search, she found two. Returning to Oriole’s side, she dropped them in the basket. ”I’m Eire, by the way.”

Hallo <3 (300+)

Last edited by Eire Lykoi on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

-- Thanks for joining!

See galleries for credit.

Oriole didn't know he had company until he heard a guffaw but by then it was too late. Driver struck his rear and swiped her talons across his fur, not enough to break the skin but boy he sure felt them. He jerked his head up, which was a bad idea as it was right up through the bush. There were leaves in his fur once he surfaced and when he tried to speak he found another stuck to his lip which he quickly swiped away with a paw. Red beneath his fur and wholly embarrassed Oriole just managed a sorry. He licked his blue-stained lips, heh, yeah.

Eire looked to be the same age as him though he couldn't recall seeing her more than once or twice. Her scent told him she wasn't exactly new, but he would have remembered another puppy growing up. I'm O-O-Oreo. His cheeks were still burning and he hadn't quite settled his heart after being caught red, well blue-handed. Oriole. He corrected himself with a frown. And that's Driver. He tilted his head towards the raven as she settled herself near-by.

There's some more bushes over there- he lifted his sharp muzzle and pointed a ways away. He'd no doubt now what the bushes looked like and could recognize them from a distance. I-I can h-help you pick s'more-- if you want! His ears flattened to head, after what she'd just witnessed she probably didn't trust him to help. I promise I won't eat them...

Last edited by Oriole de l'Or on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oriole de l'Or

Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 pm

The other coyote was bashful, shy even. Eire was neutral in the situation, not judging or accusing other than stating the facts – he ate all the blueberries. The raven sat nearby, perched, checking her out suspiciously. He would have probably recognized her if he spent some time in Ravenswrest, which was often where she spent her afternoons just watching the birds quietly. Many of the birds had come to know her this way. She never came to feed them or taunt them – she just climbed a tree and sat with them, letting the black birds do all the talking while she listened. Some of them even tried speaking her tongue – saying things like “meat,” “hungry,” “hello,” and “dog”. Such intelligent creatures.

”What’s up with Infernians and their birds?” she said, disassociating herself from the group for a moment. ”Already I’ve met two coyotes that had… terrible relationships with their birds.” Eire regarded Driver from the side, judging the bird’s character on a whim.

”That’d be good,” she confirmed with a nod. ”And you can eat some, too, just don’t eat them all.” She grabbed the basket she previously set between them and rose, eyeing the bird suspiciously. ”Lead the way, Oreo.”

ooc text here (000)

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Ooc: so sorry for the wait!

His cheeks burned a flush so fierce they were sore after it faded away. Which was surprisingly quick. Eire was a neutral entity if not a little apathetic her directness was comforting to Oriole. Social nuances often escaped him and it was a relief not to have to read in between the lines. The talk of ravens made him frown considerately.

"Really?" He asked, surprised. "How so?" He knew of his Meemaw, his Dad, and Dove off the top of his head who had ravens and they all seemed to get along great, for the most part. "Driver's nice, really- I think I just startled her. I mean, she is getting a little old." He glanced at the bird who's feathers weren't quite as glossy as the other ravens, nor as plentiful. "And it's Oriole." The flush in his cheeks returned in some capacity.

There was a small twig caught in his mane that pricked his ear. He clawed it away before he started to lead Eire to another patch of bushes. When they were just ahead he paused to look back at her. "Why'd you say 'Infernians'? I mean, you're one of us too, aren't you?" He didn't look suspicious but the phrasing struck him as odd.
Oriole de l'Or

Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 pm

”Well, I met a girl named Magpie in Ravenswrest… and she started yelling at her bird. Then… there’s your bird… and Axelle’s bird isn’t so mean, but she has her days… and it just seems to be that a lot of Infernians have poor relationships with their companion birds.” Vesper was not one of them, and certainly not Dove. She had experienced the two with their raven companions before – they seemed quite close. ”Maybe it’s more of a generalized observation.”

”Sorry. I thought you preferred Oreo… You introduced yourself as ‘Oreo’ first.”

Eire followed behind him quietly, letting the basket bump against her legs; the two blueberries within rolled around chaotically. She eyed the leaves and stems still tangled in Oriole’s fur as he led the way to the next bush. She considered picking them out for him, but paused, figuring it would be detrimental because he might acquire more at their next destination.

”Um…? I don’t know…” she stated, realizing the error in her words. Why did she think of Infernians like an ‘us’ and ‘them’ situation? Why wasn’t she included? Maybe it was because she didn’t feel quite whole yet. She was still Axelle’s errand girl, and Axelle was waiting on Eire’s confirmation. ”Maybe I still think of myself as the ‘new girl’… most coyotes I’ve met so far have been here all their lives, and I’m only just starting out.” It was a good white lie. Not all lie, but not all truth either. She still felt strange in the new pack.

A couple more steps and they were upon the bush. Eire took her seat first – situating herself on the side with more sun. If Oriole was there to eat, he only needed his nose and teeth to do all the work for him. She needed some light to find and throw all the berries in her basket. ”How did you and Driver first become partners?” She was immensely interested in the birds; and it wouldn’t hurt to hear some of her pack mates’ companion stories. Perhaps they weren’t all bad.

She popped two blueberries into her jaws, now using to hands to pluck the fruits from their stems.

sorry for the sucky wait! (300+)

Sammiie
Luperci

Dead Topics