Another day, and you've had your fill of sinking

Iorek

POSTED: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:29 pm

CdC Brotherhood Challenge wrote:“Teach another canine how to properly wield a sharp weapon.”

Optime | Fort Kingsbury; mid-morning (+467)

Brotherhood challenge for Master of Bladed Weapons.

Teagan hummed in thought as she looked over the many pieces of steel lined up along the wall in various weapons stands, racks, and shelves. With the tough battle she and her packmates had fought, her aunt, Grynn, and the new fellow, Leoris, had their work cut out for them in repairs. Armor had to be fixed, blades needed to be sharpened, and shields needed to have their dents hammered out of them. It was by some miracle—though, still a great loss—that the pack had only lost two of its members to Syndicate. Grynn and Leoris would be quite busy bringing the pack’s weapons back to their former states before the fighting had begun.

The Officer reached out, taking a knife from amongst its brethren on one of the few shelves sparred for weaponry. She drew it from its protective sheath, her canary eyes running over the blade. She brought out one of her claws, running it down the length of the knife’s cutting edge. She listened for the sound, waited for the feeling. Nothing came from the smooth once over. Frowning, she turned the knife over and repeated the process. Nothing. The sound was pristine, and her ran swiftly along its edge.

The knife had recently been sharpened and buffed out of its imperfections, Teagan realized with a sigh.

For once, the Stryder wasn’t looking for a sharp edge. In fact, she was looking for the dullest knife she could find. For what she intended to use it for, she didn’t want to risk an injury when there were so many in need of the medics in the past few weeks.

She returned the knife to its sheath, placing it back on the shelf and moving onto the next knife. The warrior princess went through five or six knives before she found one with a relatively dull edge. A little bit more, and she found a second one. With both in hand, Teagan left the armory. She made quick work of the steps leading up into the main hall, and, from there, out the front doors. Teagan squinted, letting her eyes adjust as the bright, outside world threatened to temporarily blind her.

When she could see clearly again, she set off towards the training grounds. In the last battle with Syndicate, she’d fought against a proficient knife-user, and Teagan sought to re-familiarize herself with the weapon and its various uses once more. Normally, she would have bothered Indi to spar with her, however, the koi-colored sister was busy. It looked like she was on her own today.

Teagan flipped one of the sheathed knives in her hands into the air as she crossed through the Fort, idly busying herself before she came to her final destination.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Teagan could watch Iorek and decide he needs more moves?
500+

Iorek was no stranger to the training grounds after having trained there before. Albeit, it was a time when he was still open to combat and less afraid of violence. Having seen several battles, skirmishes, and an assault he found that he disliked fighting but he did need to train. Casa di Cavalieri was home to warriors and he would need to train to be able to defend himself. What if the Syndicate came back? That was one of the thoughts that spurred him to train despite his dislike of it. He remembered the loners that had attacked him, the man that maimed him. There were more people like him out there, people like the demon. He was afraid and that fear spurred the wolfdog to head to the training grounds and perhaps attack a few of the dummies. Birdflower perched on his shoulder, not wanting to miss whatever the flower boy was going to do.

The crimson-eyed Cadet got to the training grounds relatively quickly. He stood in his Optime form, a gargantuan figure that towered over and outweighed many. He only wore a relatively simple flower crown since he would be training today. The beast left the crown on one of the dummies's heads and the magpie perched on the shoulder. And then the beast set his sights on one of the dummies. He knew no other weapon then his teeth, claws, and muscle. He did not know how to use anything else, barely even able to use a stick or rock if the time called for it. He never thought of using a weapon despite having been in fights where such was used. The crimson-eyed Cavalier got ready ad then sprang at the dummy.

The brown behemoth's weight knocked the dummy over easily. That was one of his attack methods, to tackle the target. His weight often kept his attackers pinned down and he was strong enough to restrain them if needed. He disliked spilling blood now and a lot of his attacks involved such techniques, if you could even call tackling a technique. Once the dummy was sufficiently pinned, the chocolate saddled brute went on to the next dummy. Birdflower squawked something about making sure that it couldn't get up, but it was a dummy.

Another technique the massive yearling knew was to swipe at the attacker. His arms were long and he had sharp claws. He used it to keep attackers away from him, though he didn't aim to hurt with his swipes. The wounds around his arms were healing and he could now shift with them. He then decided not to swipe at the dummy too much so that he didn't accidentally re open his wounds. Well, at least the feral giant had another move to use.

Imagining that the dummy was a Syndicate loner, the bear dog swiped at the object several times, leaving faint scratches on the dummy as his claws scratched the dummy. And then the beast moved forward, leaning down to grab the dummy by the shoulder with his jaws. He rose to full height, holding the dummy and throwing it onto the ground before pouncing on it, almost puppy-like with his attack. It ended with the hybrid beast perched on the dummy's chest.

photo by Joe Jungmann - table by Tilu

Silverfrost
Luperci Healer, Scavenger The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw
You've spent a life time stuck in silence
What I wanna save I will try

POSTED: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:04 pm

(+403)

What she found when she arrived was not what she would have expected. Iorek, of all Cavaliers, stood in the training arena. He was the last Luperci she would have thought to find there. He had made it quite clear during their patrol together and the subsequent fights brought to the pack’s doorstep that he didn’t know how to truly fight, and, even then, that he even wanted to fight. Instinct drove him and kept him alive, but his lack of experience and seeming dislike of hurting others made him more of a vulnerability than anything else.

So, when Teagan had found the beast of a man practicing on the dummies, she couldn’t help but to be surprised. Her pace had slowed, canary gaze eyeing the dummy that stood off to the side that had a newer looking flower crown worn on the practicing tool’s head and Iorek’s feathered friend upon its shoulder. The bird was not one she was used to seeing around these parts, but, having always noticed it with the Cadet, it didn’t take much to guess that the two were bonded as Agrona and she were.

The Stryder made her way up to the fencing, leaning on it as she mentally dissected the motions and thought process the feral male went through as he moved from dummy to dummy. Tackle, swipe, bite. It was…a very sorely lacking repertoire of fighting moves, even for a feral fighter. The basics. Child’s play, literally. There was no variation to be seen between the moves.

Very simple, very see-through.

It was a shame he couldn’t tap into that rage-filled fit he had been in when they’d found the intruders on their borders. He’d been aggressive, unpredictable, swift, a force to be reckoned with. The still-healing marks on her arm being evidence of much. Here, against the dummies, he looked almost stiff in comparison. Slow, easy to evade if against a seasoned fighter.

It was perhaps luck that he had made it out against the pack’s last fight against Syndicate alive.

Iorek ended his attacks, coming to sit upon the chest area of a dummy, like an overgrown puppy having tackled their parent. “What else do you know?” Teagan quizzed suddenly, her gaze sharp and scrutinizing. “If your attacker is armed with a weapon, what would you do differently?”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 am

Referenced this [M] post301

Iorek looked down at the dummy, unsure of what to do. He didn't know if there was actually anything to do to the dummy now that it was down. And then a sudden voice behind him caused the beast to tumble off of his perch. He fell face first off of the chest of the dummy. His muzzle hurt after the wall but he was okay. He lifted himself off of the ground and stood on four legs as he searched for the source of the voice. His eyes almost went over the tri-colored figure but they found her. The wolfdog's head tilted as he pondered the question.

The brown behemoth didn't have much experience with knives or any weapon to be honest. Many of the fights he had fought had been without weapons. He remembered the fight with the dark-furred wolf. He had swung out with his long reach and then the man had come into the range of his teeth and he'd grabbed the man's shoulder. It had ended the fight quickly with the man being thrown. It worked the first time the chocolate-saddled brute had done it. It worked against a live attacker so the beast thought that it would work against a dummy.

The carmine-eyed cadet rose to his feet and then moved to another dummy. He swiped at the dummy before reaching in and grabbing the dummy's shoulder. And then he looked back at Teagan. L-Like th-that. He said. He had probably missed the "what would you do differently, but the attack had worked the first time. Albeit, he was fighting a dummy that stayed in one place rather than a live attacker. But, the crimson-eyed Cavalier didn't see much of a difference between attacking a dummy or attacking a person. He'd rather attack a dummy.

Form:Time:Date:Place:
OptimeDaySeptemberTraining Grounds

Silverfrost

POSTED: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:59 pm

(+306)

Had it not been Teagan and in an area she thought was of the upmost importance to excel in, she might have laughed at the startled reaction the large male had to her sudden question. Alas, it was Teagan though, and her funny bone was rather small these days. Iorek fell off of his perch atop the dummy, crimson eyes searching for her almost immediately after he’d regained his footing. She offered him a raised brow and a look of dwindling patience.

The Cadet seemed to contemplate his answer, and, after a moment’s thought, moved to show her what he would do. He swiped…then bit. “That’s nothing different than you did before,” she pointed out with a sigh. She had already seen that he knew how to use his paws and his teeth, could use his strength and throw his weight around; all things that came natural to a feral fighting style.

The feeling of the knives in her hands spurred an idea.

Teagan climbed over the perimeter fencing and landed inside the training area. “You’re in your Optime form,” she pointed out, hoping the words were simple enough that he wouldn’t fall behind where she was going. “Yet you fight like you’re still on four legs.” Or like a bear, might have been a better way of describing it.

She crossed the distance between them, stopping only when she stood before the larger male. “Have you ever used a knife before?” The Stryder asked, holding out one of the two dull weapons she’d brought with her. She didn’t unsheathe it, not trusting Iorek to not try to grab it blade first, or, even, try to use his mouth. The bear-like Luperci was…a little ways behind in branching out from some very primitive, feral roots.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:05 pm

You can pp Iorek responding to Teagan's orders to move this thread along 300+ Optime | September | Day | Training Grounds

See galleries for credit.

Iorek didn't see what was wrong with repeating the same attack. He had a different attitude when it came to fighting, if it worked once, it would work again. He was only here to practice and would go back to the Medico office the second he was summoned. The beast didn't like fighting, but he knew that he had to learn in order to protect himself and his pack. But, he didn't know why he couldn't do the same attack again, so he tilted his head. The wolfdog could fight, that was all that mattered, right?

The brown behemoth watched as Teagan jumped over the fence and walked over to him. He gave her a quizzical look but said nothing. She pointed out that he was in Optime form and he nodded. He didn't see the point the woman was trying to make. He used his Optime form because he needed his hands for things, but liked his Secui form just as much. The Knight added that he fought like he was on four legs. The beast noticed how some of his pack mates fought, they used weapons and techniques that he never thought of using. Before he had come to Casa di Cavalieri, he had never fought in Optime form, primarily fighting in Secui form. The chocolate-saddled brute didn't really see the difference between fighting in Secui and Optime other than the fact he had arms.

Then, the tri-colored female then asked the crimson-eyed Cavalier if he had used a knife before. He shook his head, he had never even held one before. Riley used knives quite a bit and the beast recognized a knife in a sheath. The woman handed it to him and he carefully took it, not wanting to grab the wrong end. He held the wooden handle and then carefully unsheathed it, having seen the Rockateer do it hundreds of times. Then, the carmine-eyed Cadet looked at the Officer. Wh-What a-are...a-are w-we d-doing?

Last edited by Iorek on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost

POSTED: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:51 pm

(+601)

Cautiously, he took the sheathed weapon from her outstretched hand. It appeared that he had some experience with handling sharp weaponry, or, at least, a knife. Good, it meant one less thing she’d have to drill into his thick skull. He even held it properly too, grasping it by the handle as he withdrew it from its protective sheath. It was one more mark in his favor with the warrior princess.

When his crimson gaze lifted from the knife to stare down at her, Teagan offered him a small, shallow smirk. “I’m going to try to show you how to use it.” She stated, offering little in way of being denied. She still had the knife that she had taken from the Syndicate male that Iorek had killed, and it was his by every right to keep. However, if the male couldn’t properly wield one, there was no point in giving him the scavenged weapon.

“These knives are pretty dull.” To demonstrate, she took her knife from its sheath and ran the blade edge along the top of her forearm. Not a mark of blood was left in its wake, and she did well to show as much to the Cadet. “So, you don’t have to really worry about cutting yourself too much.” She returned her blade to its sheath, her canary eyes moving to the one in his hand before moving sharply up to his face once more. “It will still cut if you force it though.” A cut with a dull knife was often worse than one with a clean, sharp edge. “And, even dull, it’s perfectly capable of being used to stab someone.”

The warning out of the way, Teagan attached her knife to her belt so that her hands could be free. Her smaller hands reached out for his dark ones. “Let me?” She reached out, carefully—so not to cause him to instinctively jerk away from her or do something rash while still wielding the knife in his hand—but firmly grasping his hands and twisting them and the digits so they held the knife to her liking.

“If you know how to use a weapon, the better you are at defending yourself against it,” She explained, stepping back and letting him get a feel for the knife in his hand. “Syndicate fought with weapons, and so will many others. They’re an extension of your body, and do the work that would otherwise require tooth or claw.” Which, seemed to be his most comfortable fighting style. Though, perhaps it was because it was all that he knew. Her mother and a few others still had preference for such roots, and, there was nothing wrong with it.

However…

She held up her sheathed knife, holding it so the blade pointed down and would guard her forearm if her wrist pivoted just right. “If I were to use a knife to cut you—“ Teagan struck out like a viper, not giving him any warning so she could see what his immediate reaction to defend himself would be. Being someone who favored the feral style, she presumed he might use a hand to guard himself. “—You can’t very well grab it without your own hand unless you want to be hurt. And constantly running away or dodging will become tiresome. If you use your knife to parry mine, however, you can defend yourself without worry of being cut.”

The Officer waited, hoping that her explanation as to why she thought it vital to teach him how to use a knife sunk in.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Well, Iorek is clueless. Feel free to assume Iorek follows any of Teagan's directions Word Count → 400+

Iorek looked down at Teagan with a surprised look. She wanted to teach him to use a knife? He had never used a weapon before in a fight, and didn't see the point of a knife. He had relied on his claws, teeth, and strength in battle and never even thought of using anything else. But, now that he reflected on how most of those fights had ended, maybe he needed a new fighting skill. He glanced down at his arms that were wrapped in bandages. The wolfdog probably should learn to fight better.

The brown behemoth watched as the tri-colored knight demonstrated that the knife was blunt. He did look a bit worried when she started, but after seeing that there was no trail of scarlet, the worried look lessened, but was still present. He did note that the knife was still dangerous and regarded both blades with caution. He looked at his own knife, hoping that it was as dull as its twin. The chocolate saddled brute didn't want to hurt the warrior woman.

The massive yearling didn't move as the yellow-eyed fighter reached for his hands. She had put her knife away and he didn't think she was going to do anything since they hadn't started training. He also didn't know what she could do with his hands while unarmed. She moved his fingers so that they gripped the knife differently. A quizzical look crossed the bear dog's features as he gripped the blade in a different fashion.

The Stryder knight then began explaining why the hybrid beast should learn to use a knife. He hadn't had much experience with injuries from weapons as he had mainly protected his mother from feral-formed individuals and his wounds came from claws rather than blades. He knew that blades could hurt and he knew that they were harder to defend against than other weapons. But, if he could use a knife, he could protect himself against a blade rather than relying on ways to disarm his opponent. The feral giant nodded.

And then the warrior princess struck out with her sheathed blade. It was sudden and the carmine-eyed Cadet didn't expect the attack. He was too close to dodge away and his hunched posture may have also hindered him. He jerked back slightly and tried to grab the blade on instinct. The woman expected that and pointed out that he could use his knife to parry hers. But, the crimson-eyed Cavalier didn't know what it meant to "parry".

Parry? The massive medic asked.

table by the Mentors!

Silverfrost

POSTED: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:36 pm

(+725)

I hope I made sense @____@ Again, Songbird pulling fighting techniques out of her feathery ass

Iorek was more receptive of the idea than she had originally thought he might be. He didn’t question every word or descriptor that she used, a sign that either she had made her explanation simple enough or that his vocabulary and understanding of the world had increased since his joining of the pack. Or, at least, she hoped he grasped the subject matter. His silence didn’t exactly let her in on what was happening in his head, but, compared to past experience, it was a decent indicator that she was making some sense.

He let her mold his hands to hold the knife without question, and when she demonstrated the importance of the lesson that day, he performed exactly as she thought he might. He grabbed at the sheathed knife with a full hand, a move that would have cut his palms wide open in a real fight. It was a natural reaction for someone, even more so for someone used to a style of combat that didn’t have crafted weaponry.

She pulled her knife away, nodding when he asked for clarification. “To deflect or block an attack,” she explained. Her canary eyes fell to his hand and then to the knife in the other. “Usually, by means of your own attack to stop your opponent’s.”

Teagan reached out and positioned his knife hand so that it was held in front of him in a defensive-like manner. Unsheathing her own blade, she moved it so it came up to touch Iorek’s, blade against dull blade. “Like this. See how your blade is touching mine instead of my blade touching your palm? If you had used your knife to stop mine just a moment ago, you wouldn’t have been hurt like you would have been in a real fight.”

The blade was dropped, the warrior princess turning and sheathing her knife once more. She moved over to the abandoned dummy, righting it and making quick adjustments to it to her liking. “I’ll show you how to do it later. For now,” she patted the top of the training tool and turned to Iorek, “I need to show you how to just use a knife.”

Taking her weapon back in hand, Teagan motioned for Iorek to come over to her. “I want you to hold the knife like this.” She demonstrated with how she’d molded his hands to hold the blade earlier, her thumb moving over the butt of the knife. When his fingers and grip were right, she turned fully towards him.

“Hold your feet shoulder-width apart…” She waited as he adjusted. “There you go. Bend at the knees—ah! Not that far.” Teagan smacked the front of his knee with the flat edge of her blade, making him straighten to a desirable position. “You want to be limber and flexible, not rigid and easy to bowl over.” When Iorek stood as she wanted him to for the drill, Teagan moved beside him.

“Now, I want you to act like you’re punching the dummy.” It was the easiest way to start him off, by comparing the movements to something he would already know. “Go slow.” He hesitated for a moment, but, when he complied, Teagan waited, watched, until his arm reached a certain length. “Think of the blade as an extension of your hand.” When it did, she reached out and slowly shifted how his wrist and forearm moved, creating a horizontal, slashing motion. “You want the blade to touch your target, and nothing else.”

“Do it again,” she told him, once more guiding his arm when it reached a certain point. “What you’re doing is a horizontal slash. See how the blade runs nearly parallel to your arm towards the end? With this drill—or movement—you can both attack your target while protecting yourself. Now, do it again.”

There was a reason for her starting him off with a defensive attack. Iorek didn’t seem the type to prefer the stabbing style of knife fighting. Much too squeamish and reluctant to attack a foe outright without being provoked, the drill and reasoning for it would be lost on him. With this however, if it was something he could use to defend himself, perhaps he would be more willing to accept the technique.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Iorek is so confused400+

Iorek didn't exactly know that much about fighting. He didn't know much about weapons: only knowing the names of a few weapons such as swords, arrows, knives, and scimitars. Teagan explained the unknown word,"parry" to him and it was very clear to the wolfdog what the word meant. It was a rather important word apparently since he probably had parried someone's attack without knowing it. The beast nodded.

Then, the warrior woman elaborated by positioning the brown behemoth's knife hand in what the beast recognized as a defensive move, having seen it before. He looked at her confusedly before she unsheathed her own blade and demonstrated by placing her own blade against his and showed him what parrying was. She also pointed out that in a fight, he could have chosen to parry the blow instead of grabbing the blade and cutting his hand. The chocolate-saddled brute nodded.

Then, the tri-colored fighter began preparing the dummy. The massive yearling looked at her quizzically, wondering what she was doing before it became clear to him. She wanted him to attack the dummy. And then then she came back to fix the beast's grip on the knife. He didn't realize that he had lost his grip on the knife. Then the woman turned to him and fixed how he was standing. Then she told him to bend his knees. The flower boy's knees were already bent with his feral posture and then he bent even lower and then the canary-eyed woman smacked his knee with the flat edge of the blade making the beast straighten up. He almost lost his balance for a second before he adjusted how he stood standing taller than usual. That reminded the massive medic of the time he sparred with Myra and the girl had taken him down because of his posture.

The carmine-eyed Cadet was then directed to punch the dummy. His red eyes gave her a confused look as he wondered why the hybrid knight would tell him to punch while he had a knife in his hand. He punched out slowly, the knife held sideways in his hand. And then the woman added that he should hold the blade like it was an extension of his hand. He remembered how Riley had held the blade and then the beast shifted his hold, mimicking how the jackal-dog hybrid held the blade and somehow managed to hold it right. And then the crimson-eyed Cavalier let the warrior princess guide his hand to make a slashing movement towards the dummy.

And then the wolfdog woman directed the feral giant to slash at the dummy again, guiding him at certain points. Then, she spouted some technical jargon that he didn't understand, but he nodded anyway. And then the woman pointed out the importance of the technique. Then, the blood-eyed male looked at her for further instruction.

Silverfrost

Dead Topics