The Canary Soars

Teagans Brotherhood Oath

POSTED: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 am

His daughter, the Sworn. The idea gave him goosebumps and filled him with pride. Yet, there was a tinge of sadness in his pride as he left the den in the gardens, leaving Lyris to have some peace and quiet. He was certain the wintery coated female was tired of his fussing, particularly since her body was now swollen with pups due in less than half a moon. She would miss Teagan’s ceremony, Morty believed her to be too ill and vulnerable to be moving more than to the river to get a drink. Still, if Lyris was not going to make it than he would stand for both, ensuring his daughter knew nothing but her parents pride on this celebration day.

As he transformed, stood on two legs, and dressed in his best, the father reminisced of the days when Teagan and Indi could fit in the palm of his hand, no larger than the pears that grew in the Fort during the warm seasons. Teagan has stayed true to her character, pushing herself to grow and be the best the pack had to offer, and today she would be honored with the title that very few ever achieved. The last members to join the Brotherhood had been himself and her mother, so it was fitting that another Knight be the first in moons to grace the ranks.

He took his time moving from the gardens to the courthouse and into the great hall. The sun was just peaking over the horizon and he knew that Teagan, prompt as always, would be here soon. In fact, the young patriarch was surprised she wasn’t in the hall waiting for him, a knowing smirk on her face. A young coyote male appeared from downstairs as Luca waited, a cloak in his hands. “Thank you for your help Darius.” Luca spoke as they male practically glides over with a charming smile. “The pleasure is all mine dear Lune. I hope your daughter will find my work to be as exquisite as I believe it to be.” Luca chuckled, opening his mouth to respond just as the door opened, revealing Teagan’s form. Darius took a few steps back as Luca moved forward. Forcing his daughter into a hug he held her close for just an extra moment before letting go. “We’re so proud of you my love.” He spoke, gently placing a hand on her back to motion her further into the hall before raising his muzzle to call for the pack.

OOC: Luca's not an embarassig dad. You're an embarrassing dad! AW+ to the pack, highly encouraged mamebrs wear thier cloaks. It is assumed IC all members will be present. Dated sunrise Nov.1200+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
Lune
Melissa
Luperci Sailor Tier I The Brotherhood: Master Equestrian

POSTED: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Optime | Fort Kingsbury; sunrise | Backdated: Nov 1st | cNPC: Mako (+543)

Follows her vigil thread. Teagan’s wearing her old cloak.

The sun shined brightly at her back as the Officer made her way back to the Fort that morning. In the chilly, autumn morning air, her warm breath billowed out before her in wispy white plumes. The sky was without a cloud save for on the distant horizon. A crisp breeze would occasionally pass through, playing with the leaves that had yet to fall on the high branches.

After a long night of keeping vigil over the heated pools of the Steam Baths, one might have expected weariness to be in her eyes or her movements. She hadn’t slept, but she felt far from tired. Excitement and, though she wouldn’t admit it, nervousness ebbed and pulsed in her veins. She would be following the footsteps of her mentor and her relatives; her parents, her aunt, and her great uncle. All of them had gone through the ceremony, through the next step in their role within the pack, now, so too would Teagan.

When the gate came into view, her canary eyes spotted Howland and Mako standing there. Both men gave her a welcoming smirk and smile, each already knowing what her return meant. A few words were passed between them before the Stryder continued on her path to the Courthouse. The Ridley trailed after her, his demeanor expressing the excitement that the woman kept so calmly in check. He’d dressed nicely for her ceremony, and the two shared a few bantering words in the time it took them to reach their destination.

Teagan entered the Courthouse first, the opening door echoing in the—currently—empty hall. Not moments after she entered, she was enveloped into a tight hug from her father. Though initially stiff, she eventually returned the gesture, a modest, small smile on her lips when her father doted on her. Teagan was not one to crave praise, however, knowing her parents were proud of her efforts warmed her icy heart. “Thank you, Father.”

While the Lune rallied the pack for the formal ceremony, Teagan motioned for Mako to follow her inside. The fancy fellow, Darius, was already there; in his hands, the physical sign of her graduation in rank and joining of the Brotherhood. He smiled at her, and the Stryder offered him a nod in acknowledgement. Her friend positioned himself where the pair normally stood while Teagan made her way to the center of the Great Hall.

The piece of purple fluorite remained in her hand as she stood there, canary eyes wandering to each individual that entered the Hall. Hidden beneath her Officer cloak, her packmates couldn’t see how tightly she held the stone.

She wished her mother was there, as selfish as she knew the feeling was. Lyris, heavily pregnant and very ill, the medics had advised it best that she remained in the birthing den, resting and trying to overcome what had plagued her over the past few months. Teagan would be the second Stryder in the pack’s history to gain such a rank, and the achievement felt…a little less significant with her mother being deathly ill elsewhere in the Fort.

Her facial features betrayed none of this though. Steely and neutral, it was a mask that Teagan wore very well.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:06 pm

His heart melted for his daughter. Lyris should be here but it was just not possible given her condition. As he pulled away from his daughter and called the pack he returned his golden eyes to his daughter, motioning for her to follow him deeper into the hall. “The hot springs are peaceful at night, aren’t they?” He asked, making small talk as members began to arrive. The vigil was equally important part of joining the Brotherhood as the oath itself. A sleepless night reflecting on how you got to this point, and where you wanted to go, thinking about why you were making the oath, it was all connected. Not everyone was meant to be a member of the Brotherhood. It was a commitment and promise to the pack to make the ultimate sacrifice if they were called upon. Although everyone in Casa was to know basic self defense, the Brotherhood was their strongest line of defense and these days it was a very small line.

Once it seemed as though the members of Casa had arrived he gestured for Darius to rejoin himself and Teagan. Clearning he voice he spoke, “Welcome everyone.” Pausing he waited for silence. “This morning we gather for a very special reason. Teagan will be the first new member initiated into the Brotherhood ranks in many moons, leading by example for all Cavaliers. Today she will take an Oath, a promise, to all of you. As Cavaliers a ask you to listen to her words and hold her to them. From this point forward Teagan will act as one of our highest ranked members, an honor very few achieve.”

Turning to his daughter he held open his hands, “Your cloak please.” Once she had passed it to him he spoke again, “Kneel and speak your oath.” Silently he waited, listening as each word was said, his own voice echoing the words in his mind. When she was done he drew an axe from his belt, taping the flat end on each shoulder before she stood again. Turning to Darius he took the fox fur cloak, wrapping it around his daughter’s shoulders. “I present to you Teagan Stryder, Sworn and Master of Bladed Weapons!”

OOC: 300+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
Lune
Melissa
Luperci Sailor Tier I The Brotherhood: Master Equestrian

POSTED: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 am

(+628)

Teagan nodded stoically to her father, not trusting her voice at that moment with her thoughts consumed with her mother’s largely absent presence amongst the gathering crowd of bare and cloaked Cavaliers. It was typical of her, to not elaborate on things unless specifically asked to do so. Her father knew her better though, and he likely saw through the cold mask that the Stryder woman donned for her packmates to see. Her heart ached like a child’s would, yearning for the nostalgia and familiarity that was not possible, and she sought so desperately to snuff it out.

When everyone had gathered, the ceremony began. Luca began with an opening speech, explaining the reason and importance to their gathering there that morning. So long it had been since someone had graduated into the Brotherhood ranks, for many of the newer Cavaliers, this would be their first time witnessing such a ceremony. It had at least been two years, for, the last had been her mother when Teagan and Indi had been only a few weeks old.

Even so though, Teagan did not feel anxious about messing things up. Her father had given her instructions, had showed her what it was she needed to do, gone through the steps, helped her learn the Oath. She was as ready as she ever would be. No, her nervousness stemmed from the promotion itself, and what all it entailed for those that had gone before her, and would do so in her wake.

To become one of the Brotherhood, it was an honor. It also put her in the spotlight. She would have to lead by example, and would take on more responsibilities than she had ever done before.

She unfastened her deer-fur cloak when asked, the chill of the hall quickly caressing her flesh where the hems of her tunic stopped. In one fluid motion, the Stryder knelt before her Lune. Her eyes closed and she bowed her head respectfully. “I, Teagan Stryder, promise to my Sole and Lune to serve them with absolute loyalty.” Her mother came to mind, as did Alistair at the mention of the sun rank of the two leadership positions within their pack. It was vacant now, but, perhaps, one day, it would be filled once more.

“I will face the world without fear of my enemies or the darkness.” Countless of times, she had proved herself capable of such; during her first shift, protecting Indi, against Syndicate. “Be brave and love all others so that they may love me.” While being brave was not an issue, loving others was something that Teagan would have to work on. “I will speak the truth always, even if it means death.” She had never been one to lie where honesty was a necessity. “Protect the helpless and do no evil.” Helping Mako and the farmer couple against the mercenary group showed herself more than willing to defend those that could not defend themselves.

Everything leading up to that morning; from her roots in the little earthen den in the gardens to her placement now kneeling before her father and leader, she had proven herself ready to bear the cloak and be someone her packmates could depend on. Her hand tightened around the piece of fluorite that she had held throughout her pledge.

Grandfather. Uncle. Mother. Watch me.

Her canary eyes parted, determined and unwavering.

“This is my oath.”

Luca knighted her then with the flat of his axe, Darius placed the new cloak about her shoulders, and Teagan stood, bestowing the stone fragment to her father. The Lune presented her before the pack as a member of the Brotherhood, and Teagan turned to her packmates, looking over each of them resolutely.

Your fledgling will soar.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Oeglir
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

Dead Topics