so different from where I've come

POSTED: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:17 am

I'll believe in anything if you'll believe in anything
000 before the pack meeting, but after the war~

The war had earned her a new title.

She tried writing home to tell her father of her proudest moments and their victory, and found the words resisted the paper as oil did water. How could she write while coyotes still cried whenever she listened, and fires still burned whenever she closed her eyes?

Her uncle was of little comfort. Not that Lilia expected it from him; she had relieved him of his duties after all, and now he was free to do as he pleased. It was only fair that he seize the happiness that had been withheld from him all this time, and Lilia couldn't find the heart to call attention to her own sadness.

Indra did not speak, especially not of Ros. It was a strange torture to watch as her friend suffered her private hell, screaming without a sound, and it was all Lilia could do to give shelter to the woman who seemed at times more spirit than real. It hurt when she thought Indra might be spiraling around her losses, but it was this pain too that Lilia tucked away for a moment that would likely never come.

She understood better now the burden that her uncle had carried. In Onuba they had joked of how Rafael had wed and fled (somehow, her uncle had not shared their humor), and the violence of his history had been forgotten. Now she knew how hard it must have been for him to have no one, and then to have everyone but still be alone.

She wandered until she found the beach where it all began. There wasn't a single remnant of that day to be found, nothing to show the war had been started and nothing to show that it had ended. It was for that reason they didn't keep things worth remembering by the sea.

She went as far as she could before the cold caught up. There, by a rock that had been smoothed by sun and tides, she huddled to blow into her hands and thaw her fingers. She raised her cloak around her like a shield, but the wind was a skillful adversary. Soon it found the crack in her armor and pierced her with its frigid spears. She felt her breath quicken, like she'd been truly opened up.

So numb she had been, it surprised her to see her own tears spreading in the fabric of her cloak.

Last edited by Lilia Salcedo on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Nina     Avatar by San

POSTED: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:41 pm

For as much as he experienced and heard, little left the sanctuary of his mind. Secrets and traitorous observations were trapped behind his lips, growing by the day. They left him exhausted and feverish by stress, not because they had built up and threatened to escape, but because his return to Salsola from captivity had left him feeling further stranded than when he was taken.

Three had risked their lives for sake of his rescue. Elphaba had clearly worried. He meant something to the people beyond his household, and this made his resentment for their Kingdom all the more difficult to swallow. His time as prisoner he’d considered a trial, for he hadn’t proven his worth to Salsola and it seemed rational that they wouldn’t risk resources and lives for his rescue. He was wrong. It would have been far less challenging to him to have been right.

His headache had numbed that morning to more tolerable pulsations, and Neith took the opportunity to escape his Ruins home for fresh air. Too many days he’d spent virtually bedridden, his eyes and windows veiled to keep out painful light, and too many nights he stared with empty mind at the bones hidden still in his room, shivering with less weight to defend against the cold. The man did not study, for he could find no focus in the present. His thoughts remained behind with the war, with the caverns and with the charred remains of Inferni.

Neith took to the beach, for the deafening silence by stillness of near-winter left too much room for thought. He relished the bitter bip of sea winds, for it was a sensation unlike the plague of headache or fever or nausea; it chained his mind to body and drove him to shivers within his furred cloak. He relished in it just the same.

He found Lilia among the rocks, visibly unwell, and the present—the full aftermath of the war—came crashing back down upon him.

“Lilia?” he called, and hastened to her side. “What are you doing out here? Are you all right?”

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 am

I'll believe in anything if you'll believe in anything
330 *walks in late with starbucks* merry chrimus

The wind wailed for a long moment, and all she could see was the frost and the sand whirling in a maddening spiral. Then a voice called her name, and out from the wintry spectacle came a specter. Her heart mimicked the energy of the sea. She could nearly see the silver and blue gleam of her eyes, and it thrilled her to think that a longing could manifest, that her ghost would materialize when necessary. No sooner had a chastisement had formed at her lips - Indra was hurt, after all - did Neith appear instead, and hastily she knuckled away any remnants of her sadness. To her surprise, the tears had turned to ice at her thinly furred cheeks.

I just got so cold, she said with a small laugh, and to prove a point, she grabbed his hands to show how her own had become like balls of ice. With his help, she rose slowly and stiffly from her crouch. Lilia could not find it in herself to deflect his questions, but neither could she answer them properly. Perhaps Neith was right to worry.

By the Lantern's Light, have you been eating? She asked when some feeling returned, and her thumbs could pass over the prominent and bony knuckles of his hand. She scrutinized him with eyes so large and concerned it would have hardly seemed like she had been weeping a minute before.

I'm sorry Neith, I should have come to see you afterwards.

He might have excused her busyness (after all, who was she to him, and him to her, anyway?), but she thought that people ought not to slip through the cracks, acquaintances or friends, or anything in-between. She wasn't so skilled as her father yet in juggling all these matters. For the first time she found herself overwhelmed, and like so many others who troubled at voicing their inner conflicts, she had simply run off to find reprieve, or just numbness.

Code by Raze     Sig Pic by Nina     Avatar by San

POSTED: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:42 pm

“You got cold? Oh, Lilia.” Though no warmer himself, he rubbed his hands over the icicles that had formed from her fingers. She asked him if he’d been eating, and apologized for not coming to visit all in one breath. Neith smiled. He motioned with a jerk of the head and pulled gently at her hands. “Come on, let’s find a place to warm up.”

He led her down from the rocks and to the sand, and pointed them in direction of a road to shelter. He knew nothing of her tears or trauma, but identified easily that something was wrong. Whatever the case, the cold would do them both no favors.

“To answer your question, yes, I’m eating. Here and there.” A pause. “And we’ve all been swept up since the war, I understand. I can’t very well make strong requests from someone who I owe my life, after all.”

He’d snickered, but it faded when Neith glanced to her. “Had I known you weren’t doing well, I would have checked in myself. You seemed okay when we trained the other day, but it’s not like you to strand yourself in the cold.”

His eyes read sympathy, but he did not come outright and ask. She avoided the question once; he would let it go if avoided again.

whose eyes you gonna use?

Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

Dead Topics