Requiem for our lies

[p. Dove]

POSTED: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Damn the bitter cold, thought the woman as she rubbed at her chilled hands. Her blood may have designed her for the weather, but she did not much like the lack of sunshine and heat. She rubbed her hands over the crackling logs in the stonework fireplace in the Hotel's lower common room. Her hands honestly did not need it but she could not help but think of the psychology of it all. Dreary and cold versus sunny and hot.

With a huff, the woman threw a log onto the fire to add to the crackles, ignoring other canines as they came into the room just as she exited it. There was work to be done even if she did not much like that it fell upon her to do the work. She had hoped that some other souls would have been more eager participants, but if she wanted something done, it seemed as though she would have to do it herself.

As she walked, hands thrust into her pockets, she could only think of the places that didn't work well with her plans. Suggestions had been given and her King (ugh) and her sister had demonstrated which they had liked. Ultimately, it would be up to them but if Kaly had her way, she would have found cheap labor to get it all done. But cheap labor was not invested in quality.

That and a decent location had not been found. She walked aimlessly, though with very narrowed focus as she examined each area she walked through, ignoring those that were too densely packed with trees, or otherwise featureless. But she did like the open spaces near the Hotel, thinking it might be worth a look. It was land built upon once, perhaps it could be built upon again.

She spotted the woman newly come with the child, the child that did not remind her of the woman, Dove. There was a story there, she knew and she wondered what it was. Silvano had been hesitant but Kalypso was less concerned, though she was curious.

"Hello, Dove, you are exploring?" she greeted, looking to her and to the child with the peculiar name.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Player WikiCharacter Wiki
Petite Cour
Oratrice
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave
◄taste, what a bittersweet►

POSTED: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 pm

She’d spent the last winter terrified, huddled close with her little brother for warmth in a dugout they shared. The war with the Boreas and the death of their sister was fresh on their minds, and Inferni had provided for them a sanctuary away from home after the attack by zealots and madmen both. The people of Inferni had been kind, and its Aquila watched out for her.

It had scarcely started, but the winter was colder than she remembered. She’d found another home. Replaced the vanished River Lark with a child she’d made vanish herself. Dove walked what was her new home a dozen times over in the month since her arrival and had yet to find a place she found suitable to sleep. It occurred to her that she was starting over again. Another blank slate, this time with half the hair and missing a slice of her face. When would be the next? What would be the cause?

For Ask’s sake, she needed to make up her mind. The hotel provided temporary housing, but it seemed unstable and she found herself constantly comparing it to the mansion. The mansion now burnt to ashes, according to Salvador. By now, the clan must have left for their new home.

Dove visibly started when Kalypso greeted her, and she turned from her surveillance over the field with hands grabbing for the bow strung about her person—intact with gratitude to a now dead man, burnt alive by Salsolans. Curious of voices, the pup she watched wandered from the field to her side, but was prompted to go play.

“Still trying to find someplace warm enough for the winter,” she replied, humorless as she was. “I appreciate the hotel, but... there’s drafts, and I’m not real fond of the walls.” She was a child raised in the outdoors; buildings were stifling for sleep, and combined with the cold of the outdoors Dove was left with confused and frazzled senses.

She added, “I’m open to suggestions.”

all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:59 pm

The boy came up to them with curiosity but was sent off on his way to play. Kalypso eyed the boy a moment until he seemed very adequately in his own little world of make-believe. It was not that she had anything particularly important to discuss, considering she did not know Dove very well, but she did not want to speak where too keen ears might listen and remember. Children were useful in a way, for it kept the other woman close for conversation.

Dove herself seemed to be a little on edge. The islander ignored it, more than comfortable with an anxious partner beside her. Not that Dove was actually anxious, but Kalypso could tell that she was really not all that at ease. And the bow was hard to miss, too. Armed in the middle of the territory with pup in tow? Something smelled rotten in the Kingdom and it was not the falling leaves.

"No, I agree. I come from the tropics and this weather is all a bit too new for me," she admitted, remembering very fondly the warm winter sun. It was not a statement folk so far north appreciated or understand, simply because it was a bizarre day if the sun was warm. Yet, despite the aversion and the wind tugging at her hair with each weak gust, Kalypso seemed at ease.

"I have nothing good to suggest. That is why I am spearheading this project, you see. To build better homes, suited for our natures." She ran a hand through her ruddy mane when too many errant strands blew over eyes. She tugged it back, wishing she had string or something of the sort to tie it back.

Kalypso smiled softly, though, as she turned her gaze on the child. "Pardon my plain speaking, but he doesn't much look like you." Her words were mild but her eyes twinkled at the thought of a good bit of gossip, or just information to hoard until she could do something with it.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Petite Cour
Oratrice
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Kalypso had nothing to suggest in terms of housing—discouraging, to say the least, especially in the face of a cold winter. Quiet, Dove watched Gossamer at play with memories dancing about the clan’s mansion, now a burnt and demolished grave for people she had liked and abandoned. She thought of the birds trapped in the building, of the ballroom infirmary, and the long-dead Harosheth, and Oriole’s insistence in the doorway of her room.

She ached for these things, and did not know why. Inferni was not her home. Inferni did not beg for nostalgia. Did it?

Had she made the right decision?

Kalypso’s unprompted question pulled the young Reverie back into the cold and faraway present, and she looked long at the redhead while backtracking the inquiry she’d missed. Her brows pulled together, and stance turned at once unconsciously defensive. “Yeah, because he looks like his dad,” she said, deciding that was a good enough reason, and persisted the lie with further story drawn up on the spot. “And he’s, he's gonna look more like his dad pretty soon if we don’t have somewhere warm to sleep. You must have some ideas if you're the one pushing for new places to live. All you need is flat ground.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:12 pm

The woman was defensive, which made the Savoy somewhat suspicious at first. Her eyes narrowed at the child. Was there something less than savory to do with the boy? But her suspicious melted a little as Dove admitted that they had no real roof over their heads and that the boy's father was dead. Perhaps said rather stiffly, but Kalypso felt there was some nature of truth. He was either dead or gone, neither of which was conducive to raising a child. But Inferni would have provided.

"I am sorry for your loss," she said softly, though there was no way to know if it was indeed a loss of a life or the loss of the presence. "I take after my mother myself. I'm perhaps used to looking like her that I suspect others should, too." A lie, since she could see in her own half-siblings the wild array of hues they presented through their parent's genetics.

Kalypso shrugged, having put off the actual question a moment. Something was still off about Dove and her son, but she could not put her finger on what it could possible be. She filed the thought away and chose to ignore it for the moment.

"Actually, I do have an idea, but wanted to give my packmate's a fighting chance to impress me." She rolled her shoulderes carelessly, In the end, if someone picked a better spot, she would have merrily accepted it in place of her own selection.

"We can find you a cabin or perhaps you prefer a dugout home?" she asked, suddenly more keen to problem solve now that she had finished inquiring into Dove's personal life. "It will not be soon that the new homes go up." There was actually a hint of apology in her words for a change.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Petite Cour
Oratrice
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Whether she herself resembled Micah or Ocean, Dove did not know. She recognized in herself attributes of both; anxieties inherited from her father were both suppressed and accomodated for by way of a stoic facade, and she made her grace with animals useful as she could, as taught to her by her mother.

A defensiveness lingering, the quiet young Dove looked upon Kalypso unmatching her charm and smiles, and oblivious to how unfriendly the Reverie came across. “It’s too cold for a dugout, but... In the spring, yeah. I’m hoping to find something big enough for three.”

Such was the wayward hope that River Lark breathed and would find her.

“Walls are stuffy. I grew up outside, we moved a lot.” She folded her arms. “What’s your idea? Maybe instead of stuffy buildings that can burn down, we could plan for some nice dugouts. Inferni had a whole cavern.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:27 am

Kalypso hummed a moment, eyeing the area around them, before letting her gaze shoot down to the woman. She was smaller than she, which was the case plenty of time with hybrid women. With wolfish and large dog blood, Kalypso was perhaps not as massive as her father but she was a large, imposing woman often enough to consider herself tall.

"I do not think a dugout is ideal in this place. We walk on two legs far more than we do four," she said simply, brushing off the idea in one fell swoop. She herself would never choose to live in a hole in a ground when a grander place could be offered, especially one that did not require any form of the word "crawling" to get into it.

Her eyes glittered as she contemplated telling Dove. But from what she could tell, the woman had no one else to confide in and talk to, so the idea spreading was so highly unlikely. "We’ve had some suggestions for an earthen mound home. I figure a mix of earth and wood would make it a comfortable enough home for anyone and give them plenty of space to decorate to their little heart’s content." She snickered as she leaned over and rested her elbow on Dove’s shoulder.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Petite Cour
Oratrice
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

Dead Topics