the world is gray

as if you took the colors with you

POSTED: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Following Queen Mistral’s removal from power and Kalypso’s succession, Dove found herself once again (when was she not?) at a crossroads.

The transient in her begged to escape, insisting that nothing but Gossamer tied her down to the Court of Miracles. She had made a few friends, but persisted through Mistral’s wicked reign for entirely personal reasons. She needed to ensure the Queen was dead by the end of it, whether by Court forces or by one of her own arrows. Then, disturbed by Kalypso’s grab for power, Dove took to characteristic isolation tendencies and walked the length of the shoreline to Halifax.

Over a year ago, Dove and her siblings had cast Saffron’s body to the seas around here. As always, Dove watched for her body—untouched by time, unmarred by sea—to wash ashore.

When she reached the city of Halifax, the Reverie plunged herself into busywork. She walked the length of the harbor in the cold February winds, clutching close a shoddy cloak with no other clothing. She wandered in and out of ransacked homes, scavenging for anything remaining worth taking, and coming up empty. She had no explanation why she had taken to this, but her hands and mind were busied for a time.

Then, all at once as she passed between buildings, she broke down at long last and cried. It was brief and private and suppressed quickly, and her nose and eyes itched for some time afterward, but Dove turned quickly back to her work.

Halifax harbor, residences along The Arm. AW for one. I'm up for anything. :D

all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 am

Nova Scotia was so unlike anything Mateo had ever known. He had not been prepared to step into his fathers shoes, to take control of the responsibilities that his father fulfilled as the Mayordomía. Salvador had had lofty expectations of his children, and Mateo had never been able to live up to what his father expected. Rita and Maribel had been faithful daughters, always eager to prove themselves - but Mateo had been content to burrow himself deeper and deeper in search of his muse.

He thought that perhaps after all of this time that he had found it.

Naji had sent Mateo away from their camp early that morning in an effort to have him scout on his own. He had brought only one of his horses, leaving Oro behind in favor of the gentle Ombra. The smokey horse was still recovering from the long journey across the sea, but already Mateo noticed a difference in the brightness of her eyes and the newfound spring in her step.

The morning sun had broken over the mountains hours ago, and now Mateo found himself hunkering down over his horse - the short fur along his arms standing on end. He wore a loose fitting pair of trousers and a button up shirt - the collar hanging loosely around his neck where he had unbuttoned it. The wind toyed with the thick curls about his ears and teased them out of place, and every so often he would curse at the weather and pull his cloak tighter about his shoulders.

He was so used to seeing nothing but endless trees in all directions that when he came upon Amherst he urged the horse on curiously.

There were dilapidated buildings and crumbling rooftops - with thick conifers with roots which had begun to crack the ancient asphalt. The horse made a nervous sound high in its throat - the clopping hooves announcing his presence loudly in the quiet town. His long ears twitched as he surveyed the area - and he found himself wishing for the patient sun of Onuba, the comfortable cobble stone streets and the colorful markets.

The place was painfully bland, as if the colors had been leached from it.

For a moment he thought he heard crying - but like a candle in the wind it was snuffed out.

Like a foolish boy who knew nothing of the world he tipped his head and shouted, "Is there anybody out there?!"

Have this dodo brain <3

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 am

A voice called out as she pulled open a cupboard with rusting hinge, still sniffling. As if she had never left behind the Infernian wars, at once Dove swept the bow from her shoulder and notched an arrow swept from the quiver on her back—though it was performed gracelessly, struggling around the cloak. Pitiful as it was admit, perhaps the Reverie would never truly becomed accustomed to clothing.

The quiver on her back pressed up against the wall as she both listened and forced herself out of memories. In secret, she’d aimed an arrow at Mistral the moment the rebellion emerged from the party staged for her. She’d aimed arrows at Chaska and Treska and at one time Callista (never again).

But Dove had not shot an arrow since the day one connected with the Salsolan who became a prisoner and later persuaded her to take an infant and run. She shook this off. These were not realms fitting for her to wander at present levels of stress and neuroticism.

Determined not to be a victim in the way Khael made her to be, Dove crept along the walls to the cottage’s empty doorway and swung out, arrowhead pointed at the sound. It searched before finding the young man. Innocent-looking enough, but so was Khael.

“Get lost or I’ll shoot you right in the throat, I swear I will,” she said, but her fingers trembled something awful and the arrow released itself. It sprung at the ground near the man’s feet and spiraled a few feet into the sky. Dove scrambled for another, once again struggling around her cloak to do so.

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Mateo wasn't sure what he had expected when he had called out into the ruins. His voice had echoed and bounced along the cold concrete walls, and he had lost himself in the silence that followed with a huff of air that he forced through his dark lips.

Ombra was shaking her head, the long wave of her main shimmering in the pale sun. He slid from the horse gracelessly and began to lead her through the town, his violet eyes curious beneath his heavy brows.

He startled at the robed pale woman who sprung out from behind a corner - an arrow pointed vaguely on his direction.

Mateo dropped the horses reigns and stood stupidly swaying, uncertain of what to do.

It took him longer to notice the trembling of her fingers, and the way she awkwardly held the bow across her chest. When she spoke there was no note of friendliness, and Mateo began to raise his empty hands as she glared at him.

When the sound of the strong twanged on the air he flinched - What would Naji say? Killed on his first scouting mission by a tiny woman, unarmed.

The arrow landed awkwardly between them. A stone cast between two frightened travellers. Ombra made a sound behind him but made no move to protect her master - instead casually dropping her head to look at some long grass that poked above the snow.

"Oh wow." His hand went to his throat and he rubbed the smooth fur there as he spoke, eyes wide, "I really thought you were going to hit me."

He offered a crooked smile, "Thank Dios you're a terrible shot."

Have this dodo brain <3

Last edited by Mateo Salcedo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

She had a bow and arrows and he had nothing and he was insulting her. Intelligent, this one. Humiliated with nostrils flaring, Dove glared him down.

“Well, don’t mind if I try again, then,” she said, reaching awkwardly into her quiver around her cloak. She yanked out several arrows at once, all of which she dumped on the ground and knelt down beside. Then, Dove notched an arrow, closed an eye, drew back the drawstring and waited for him to squirm.

Though it was hardly his intention, her thoughts had been successfully shifted from the seemingly endless vat of problems that was her personal life (something Dove lingered in so often and for so long, one might think she’d set up residence and hung curtains) and to the present, beyond dead murderous Queens and the shifting Court and Ask Fylgja. Perhaps she would forget for only seconds. Perhaps he would occupy her longer.

She fired the arrow, aiming for the stone under his feet. Unfortunately for him, she was a terrible shot; fortunately, however, she factored this in and aimed the arrow quite a distance away, which of course meant it accidentally ricocheted off the ground nearly between his toes. Then Dove grabbed for a second arrow, then a third, each “purposefully” missing, each rising slowly from his ankles, to his knees, to his waist.

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Salvador had spent hours with his son trying to teach him what it meant to be a man in the most traditional sense of the word. Salvador had spent years perfecting his gait, the subtle inflection of his voice that lent to power and manipulation - something Mateo assumed he had used in gaining his position as Onubas Mayordomía. It was something that had never interested the young boy, and though Salvador had always been eager to send Mateo to train with Rafael... it had never stuck.

Mateo had always been too eager in collecting words and putting them to paper.

Even now as he gazed up on this frightening woman he could see the beauty in the flecks of darkness that lingered amongst her silver hair, her eyes flashing like fire as she struggled to find her arrows.

The boy should have been frightened - but he felt nothing but compassion bloom in his heart. He knew what it was to struggle, to be uncertain and alone. Her hands trembled as she nocked each arrow, her silver fingers plucking the bowstring so that each arrow landed just out of reach - though one of them spun by his calf too close and he could feel the wind rustle his fur as it passed.

He felt his ears flatten as the volley of arrows continued, and he crossed his arms to protect his softest spots. "Hey!" His brows drew together, "Stop!"

He opened his hands, exposing the pale fur of his palms, "I get it! I get it! You could hit me if you wanted to."

Have this dodo brain <3

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm

She stopped, her brows knitted still, her lips pouting. It only sunk in then that she’d been too aggressive and that he probably meant no harm, but Dove had no intentions for apologies. Let no one fool you, she’d started to tell herself since the day Khael turned on her, and choose who not to fool.

These were mantras Dove swore to live by, but unconsciously faltered with. Try as she might, the Reverie wore a facade made of ice that rarely relented, even in pleasant company or those she wanted to befriend. Part of her wanted to defeat this, while another part perceived it as weakness. Dove thought in extremes: If she became soft, she would fall victim to someone like Khael again. If she stayed harsh, she could become Mistral.

She observed others in extremes, too. This man, for example, was a fool—but sort of funny, too. “That’s right, I could,” she lied, holding still an arrow to bowstring though it slacked taut as she pushed off her knee and stood. “So why are you still here, then? You got a deathwish or something?”

A thought occurred to her, and Dove glanced the buildings with disgust. “I hope you don’t live here.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Mateo was intrigued.

The tiny girl before him was feisty – a grumbling mess of silver and black that stared at him so vehemently that he felt as if he would crumble before her. At the same time he found something soft about the way her lips twitched at him, supressing a snarl as each arrow flew valiantly to topple lamely at his feet. The writer in him thought it an apt metaphor; he had come to Nova Scotia with every intention of being just like that arrow – steadfast and true – but instead he was a toppling mess of half-baked skill and lazy ambition.

The thought had his thick brows rising, and he bent to grasp one of the arrows delicately between his fingers. He held it as if it was a quill and not a deadly weapon.

His violet eyes were soft as he laughed, ”Yeah. Definitely you could.” He blinked innocently, ”I believe in you.” He clenched a fist as if to prove his point.

Mateo spun the arrow in his hand so that the feathered shaft lay against his palm, and as a gesture of good faith he leaned forward to hand it back to the pale woman. His thick brows wiggled as he spoke,

”No death wish… At least not today.” He gestured out into the empty town, ”I thought maybe you could show me around. Protect me. Seems dangerous out here.”

Her question caught him off guard, and he twitched his long dog-tail behind him as she regarded him with those fiery eyes of hers.

He frowned at her, blowing air between his lips as he crossed his arms across his chest. ”Uh, I thought you lived here.” He smiled, ”I mean what with the way you were protecting it so valiantly.”

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

She didn’t know whether he was sincere or sarcastic, and so Dove stared and didn’t react at all. Brows furrowed, she took back her arrow when offered it, and tucked it into its quiver stiffly.

“No way. This place is full of crazies. Nowhere is safe around here.” She firmly believed it, with all she’d endured since the day she stepped foot in Nova Scotia. Her posture relaxed some, though she had renotched her bow and arrow and clearly had no intent to put it away. Her eyes, stark, voiced that she read him the same as any other she met beyond her home: probably crazy.

He had nice eyes, though. She flicked back her head and hair, aiming not to be disarmed.

“Protect what, a bunch of buildings? Please. I protect myself. The less walls and debris and windows in her world, the better. “I'm from a pack nearby. You must not be from around here. What kind of loon walks around with nothing to defend himself? There are murderers and kidnappers out here.” (She was both of those.) “You can’t go around sight-seeing and expect everyone’s gonna be nice to you. It doesn’t work that way.”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

She was fierce. Mateo watched her quietly as his horse nudged him from behind, the velvety nose snuffling at the edge of his collar. He patted the animal while never taking his eyes off of the woman who crouched before him. She was so gaurded - an impenetrable fortress of silver-black - but he could see that somewhere she was kind.

He smiled at her, allowing the tips of his teeth to hang over his dark lips.

"Yeah! Why not? It seems quiet... And I'm sure that if you went up high enough you would have a nice view."

He shrugged then, digging his hands deep into his pockets.

"So far I haven't met any crazies-" He paused a tic too long as he stared at her, - But I believe you get back what you put out into the world." He shrugged again, Naji was of he same opinion as this coyote - always be prepared for the worst. Naji lectured him often enough on the uncertainty of the desert but he still believed there was beauty and good in all things. "So far I haven't seen any trouble... Besides meeting a girl who shot arrows at me."

The horse was nudging him again, and he glared at Ombra before gathering her dropped reigns in his pale hands.

"Want to come explore with me?" he chuckled, "I might need your protection."

He paused before brightening considerably, "My name is Mateo by the way."

Amanda
Luperci

Dead Topics