forgive me if I wander off

POSTED: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 pm

The changing tides of Cour des Miracles had, almost ironically, left Dove homesick for Inferni.

She couldn’t explain it. Once upon a time, that homesickness had been directed to Juniper Peace, where she had lived in a state of blissful ignorance to the monsters of the outside world or how much blood a single body could contain. In her darkest hours away from home, Inferni had taken her in and sheltered her. She had made friends easier, and had better idols.

The Court was not so bad, but the long fall of Mistral made it increasingly clear how much of the Court was pre-integrated into itself by manner of blood. It seemed every person she talked to had some personal connection to Silvano—she tried not to think about that old man getting around so much, gross—and Dove didn’t know where to squeeze in. Paired with her spontaneous motherhood with Gossamer, her grasp on what to cherish and what to seek had been lost.

Salvador had stopped by the Court once or twice to relay news. Cartier had died before the war’s end. Vicira usurped her mother, and Vesper had since shown little spunk or spirit. They had moved far north, supposedly to where Inferni had once been founded, and had a run-in with territorial dogs. Dove took this news flatly at the time, for the Court had been a mess of surprises and she had a child who wasn’t hers to take care of.

But once this news sank in and the Court seemed safe enough to leave, she did. She wandered north beyond the mountains, searching for their scent. She found it in unhappy, angry land, between dozens of other marks she decided to have belonged to the dogs. Dove recognized them then as exiles, and with her heart hurting notched an arrow to her bow and began walking the border, searching for faces and acclimating herself to what her former home had become.

Pre-dated a week or so?

all the colors mix together to gray
Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Secui form.

Clover plodded through snow the lighter coyotes could trot across, her heavy paws breaking the crust and her shaggy chest fur collecting balls of frost. She didn't seem to mind it, though; her ancestors had guarded flocks of sheep and sleepy towns in the frosty mountains, just as she guarded Inferni. Wolves, rival dogs; while she couldn't protect the clan from the starvation and sickness that encroached upon it now, she could defend them from these outside threats.

By her count it would be spring soon, at least. The earth would come alive again with flowers and food. Already she could feel a hopeful itch in her coat.

She still went hungry most days, and gorged herself where she could, once Vesper and Credence and her nieces were fed.

Even now she snuffled hopefully at an elk track, but it was an old scent: an animal probably already killed or wandered off. She sighed, then glanced up, still sniffing -- hackles rising at an odor of wolf and dog that brought her back some wars past. Growling lowly, she crept toward the sound of footfalls and caught a blur of white beyond the scraggly trees.

But if the Court's scent was unmistakable, so too was the Lykoi appearance of the stranger wandering with bow and arrow. Dove? Clover emerged onto her path and cocked her head, but didn't altogether drop her suspicious posture. The girl her nephew had spoken warmly of was no longer clan, after all.

I can feel the thunder that's breaking in your heart
I can see through the scars inside you
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Raze
oderint dum metuant You have to love yourself a fire
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 pm

Perhaps it was because Dove hadn’t witnessed the end of the war, but none of this made sense to her. The Inferni she knew wouldn’t run away, especially following a heavy defeat. The Inferni she knew would had persisted, would have held its ground even with heavy losses. It would have rebuilt; it would have protected its own.

She couldn’t blame Vicira’s leadership, but it was obvious how different it was from Vesper’s decisions. Dove remembered the old woman as a spitfire: ashen and burned, always. To her enemies, unyielding flames. To her allies, a coaxing warmth.

Dove liked Vesper and Vicira both. What happened? Had members of the clan been made to pick sides? Had something happened to the old Aquila?

A friendly face greeted her—Clover, known by name though by little more. Though the Reverie had turned with bow characteristically at the ready, that demeanor melted fast and replaced itself with compassion.

“Clover!” she exclaimed, slipping the bow back over her shoulder and arrows to their quiver. “I heard about everything, about Cartier, I’m so sorry. Are you okay? Is everyone okay?”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Dove turned, shouldered the bow which Clover's eyes were starkly fixed upon, and spoke her name in a tone that caught the dog off-guard. When Cartier's name was mentioned, Clover flattened her ears and stepped back a little, clearing her throat when emotion swelled. She swallowed it back down and drew upon her reserves of anger and frustration as she so often did.

When she was small, it paid to be vicious and loud when she was afraid, and though whisked away to safety at a young age and raised with love, it seemed that these instincts were not so easily quelled.

What do you care? You left us. Absent from her voice was the suggestion of personal betrayal; she did not mind that Dove had gone in pursuit of safety, but she did find it pointless to ask after them now. Jehan left too, she couldn't resist adding, more bitterly. It was Cartier rather than loyalty to the pack or his pups that had kept him around so long. Everything's -- everything's shitty. But we'll make it. We always do. She hunched her shoulders, guarded about their situation.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Raze
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 pm

“Yeah, I...” she stammered, looking at her feet. She hadn’t expected such reception, and buckled immediately under the guilt. “I did.”

She’d already apologized once, but it didn’t feel enough. Still, she didn’t know Clover. Dove couldn’t explain the situation, everything surrounding the Salsolan captive and the little boy the Reverie kidnapped and took far away. It was too complicated, and there were too many risks involved. Were she to speak too loudly about who Gossamer was, she was led to believe the wrong ears would hear and violently intervene. Based off her experience with Salsola, she didn’t want to take any chances.

“It’s complicated.” Dove realized this sounded like an excuse and was fast to continue. “I shouldn’t have gone. I know what it looks like. I... um...”

She didn’t know what to say. She and Clover were little more than acquaintances; she’d known Oriole better than she’d known his aunt-sister-thing. Their family, together with Jehan and Cartier and Magpie, had been at the heart of Inferni during the Reverie’s time as a member; to hear them torn apart now was heart-rending. She’d been there. She knew how hard it was.

“It must be quiet out here,” said Dove after extensive searching, and she flinched as if she immediately regretted it. Asking about Oriole or Clover’s family was too sensitive a subject. Asking about Inferni seemed like it was no longer her business.

She touched her toes to a twig in the mud, thoroughly awkward. “Um...”

Cour des Miracles
DEAD
Lin
Luperci Chaos Star
smoke and mirrors
BAPTISM BY FIRE

POSTED: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 am

Dove dropped her gaze and stammered a little -- put in an awkward spot, between her own departure from her clan and the lack of safe topics. Knowing that she wasn't helping matters with her bitterness, Clover attempted to soften her expression and shrugged. You had your reasons. A lot of people leave. She tried not to judge them, knowing even past Aquilas had fled Inferni without a word to its people. A survivalist mentality would provoke anyone to running if an impersonal war threatened their livelihood.

After a pause, Dove remarked on the locale, and Clover nodded. It's nice, after... she replied, trailing off with another shrug.

Finally she sighed and offered the white coywolf a friendlier look, if one touched with the sorrow of her thoughts. Sorry. She came a little closer to sniff at Dove. Have you been okay? Are you living in the Court? We warred with them too -- well, not a bad war, but this big yellow fucker was messin' with us and they said we'd kidnapped their prince or something stupid. It seemed easier to talk about past things -- especially when the conflict with the Courtiers was so bloodless in comparison.

Like I said, 'least out here we won't get that kinda trouble.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Raze
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

Dead Topics