There, along the road, was a tiny home

P. Calla | Northern border

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

After their hack with Oscar and Cracker, it seemed to Elle that Spruis' relationship with her was improving by leaps and bounds. Maybe the mare was just glad to be given attention by someone who, though stern and as stubborn as she was, also appealed to her softer side with song and sweets. Admittedly, the supply of sweets – whatever dried apples remained in storage from the harvest last autumn – were dwindling so those were provided infrequently, but often enough to keep the mare interested. Or, that's what Elle assumed. Whatever the reason, the young Cormier was pleased enough with the results that she decided to ride her down to the new pack to the south and see what things they had to offer for trade.

There was little that remained from the things that her mother and Malcolm had left behind – only five bone fishing hooks, a bracelet and a necklace, twenty beads, two baskets, two rush mats, and a single ball of twine – but she wanted to leave enough of these items to trade to Krokar, too. So she loaded up both of Krokar's saddle bags with ten of these beads, both pieces of jewelry, three fishing hooks, and both mats, supplementing these offerings with some items that she had scavenged and traded for – five porcupine quills, four shards of sea glass, and eleven agates – in addition to some items from Krokar that could be traded freely.

With the saddle bags loaded and Spruis tacked up, Elle mounted the appaloosa mare and guided her south toward Camp Gagetown, where her uncle had told her the new pack claimed territory. The horse did well, even after the curly-coated Cormier ceased singing to her, and seemed to enjoy the change in scenery. When at last the tell-tale scents of concentrated packlands began to reach her nose, Elle slowed Spruis and stopped her at the border. Tilting her head, she gave a doggish howl, announcing her intention to trade with the newly formed Mistfell Vale.

OOC: Foreward-dated several days after our Calla/Milos thread. <3

[WC — 337]

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mandi
Luperci
these rules are made to break

POSTED: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:04 pm

ooc - Thanks for the starter <3

Calia

Since word of the Vale had spread, more and more curious onlookers had appeared on the borders of the newly founded pack. So far, none had proved to be anything but benevolent in purpose. Either they sought to join their ranks, to trade good with the Pack, or simply to satisfy their curiosity. Calia answered all of these calls with eagerness, finding herself excited at the prospect of growing their family or to simply lay the beginnings of friendly alliances with those outside of the Vale. So when a new call reverberated through the woods, Calia leapt at the opportunity to greet the stranger, offering an answering call of her own.

Since coming across the friendly Quartermaster from Krokar, the robust woman took care to always carry some sort of tradable goods in her satchel should the opportunity ever present itself. Being so newly established, the Vale had not had a lot of time to gather a stockpile of treasures to exchange with the neighboring Packs. So all that Calia had to offer for grabs came from her own production: some preserved strips of goat meat, a couple jars of clotted ewe’s milk, some goat pelts from her previous harvest. Felix had been kind enough to offer brief instruction to the Nightstag as of how to weave the tough sinew of the muscle to strings of rope used in traps, so Calia had a few coiled strips of those in addition.

With a brief whistle, the albino had her herd of goats ambling along with her towards the general direction of the Vale’s border. Calia was hesitant to leave her herd alone, even if the time would be brief. So the Mistwalker approached the stranger with a wave, accompanied by a herd of goats fanned out some ways behind her. ”’Ey there!” The Nighstag called out jovially, meeting the young woman at the border. The curly haired stranger had come on horseback, astride a beautiful spotted mare. And, Calia noted with delight, she was accompanied by two saddle bags hanging besides her.

”Krokar, eh?” The robust woman guessed outloud as the scent of marsh and pine rolled over her. Milos had come to the Vale a few days earlier smelling of similar stuff. ”So, dear, what brings you to the Vale? This your first time?” Calia asked, her arm slung casually over the satchel by her side.

”My name’s Calia, Nightstag of Mistfell Vale.” The albino introduced herself, a flare of pride blooming in her chest at the title.

wc 419
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am

Her call was answered by the voice of another and Elle grinned. Patting Spruis' serpentine neck, the Krokaran slid off of her back and guided her a few steps nearer the border. Elle had just turned to start unloading the saddle bags when the scent of goats and a jovial voice interrupted her. The young woman turned and stared, mouth partly gaping, at the pristine ivory pelt and crimson eyes of the albino. Born long after Octavius' departure to Old Ironsides, Elle had never once laid eyes on an albino before. The closest person she could think of was Gavin, but with his dark nose and golden eyes, not even he could compare to the woman standing before her.

"Ach, aye!" she replied at length, remembering herself. Tearing her eyes away from Calia, Elle looked at the spread of goats behind the Mistwalker and felt oddly... off-guard. Silently, she cursed her uncle for not preparing her for Calia. "Er, aye," she said with a nod, looking at the Nightstag again. "Ah'm here fer a spot o' tradin', if ye like."

Despite Calia's peculiar appearance, Elle was quick to find herself developing a positive idea of her. She as nice, and had called her dear. She seemed oddly... maternal – something that the young woman would never admit that she missed, though deep in her heart she did. "Me name's Elle Cormier. Ah'm a Greenhorn in Krokar." She smiled, and turned to the horse again. "Ah've plenty o' goods – jewelry, beads, woven mats, fishin' hooks, an' some raw materials, too. De ye wan' te trade fer anythin'?"

OOC: Sorry for the wait!

[WC — 271]

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm

ooc - My bad for the slow reply!

Calia

The curly haired woman stared at Calia’s sudden appearance, pausing her work in untying the saddle bags from her mare’s side. Perhaps it was the flock of goats that followed the Nightstag, but more realistically it would be her snow white pelt and scarlett eyes. These features were as rare in these parts as they were in her homelands, and such receptions from strangers were not uncommon. The Krokar girl’s expression invoked nothing more than harmless curiosity, to which the albino responded with a gentle smile.

The Nightstag’s shoulders shook as she attempted to contain a giggle, and her efforts were ultimately met with failure. A peal of laughter rang out at Elle’s startled response to her arrival, her expression akin to one of a deer catching wind of a predator. ”Oh dear, I’m sorry!” Calia apologized, the last of her amusement fading away ”I wasn’t laughing at you, I swear! You just looked so...surprised, is all!” The white woman have a snort at this.

”Dun’ know what you were expecting, but I don’t think it was me!” Calia joked, her eyes full of mirth. Her words held no sting or barbs aimed at the Cormier girl, just amusement.

”T’is a pleasure to meet ya, Elle!” Calia continued jovially ”My name’s Calia, Nightstag of Mistfell Vale. Though Calia’ll suit me just fine.” At this the Nightstag gave a wink. At the mentioning of goods, the albino’s ears perked forwards with interest. Fishing hooks would definitely come in handy for fishing out of the St. John’s river - assuming that any Mistwalkers knew how to fish. But first, the curly haired woman figured that it wouldn’t hurt to indulge herself just a bit.

”I’d love ter see some of your jewelry choices, if I may!” The Nightstag gave a smile ”N’ maybe get an estimate on a price, too.” Hopefully some of her own goods could suffice for some hooks and a pretty thing or two for herself and her cottage.

wc 330
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 am

To her surprise, the albino Mistwalker laughed.

Heat rose beneath her curly fur and spread across her face and ears. She pulled back her ears, feeling embarrassed and stupid and a little annoyed. Striped brows hung heavy over sea green eyes and Elle glanced away, her usual confident, assertive demeanor ruffled. "Aye, well..." She looked tentatively back at the albino woman. "Ah jus' never seen anyone so..." Elle fought for words. "Ah dinnae knaa... pale afore is aall."

She was glad when the woman stopped laughing and moved on to conversational territory that Elle was more familiar with. Despite the laughter at her own expense, the curly-coated Cormier felt less irritated with Calia than she did with her dumb uncle (if he had only told her!) and she was glad to move away from the embarrassment of their first impressions.

"Aye, o' course!" she chirped, collecting the bracelet and necklace and holding them out in her palm for Calia to take and inspect. Though they were not made with the intention of being a matching pair, they were both composed of wooden beads fixed to a strip of leather. The necklace, though, had more variety. Along with beads made of wood, there were also beads of bone and, as a center point, a single lovely shard of pale sea glass.

Elle looked past Calia at her herd and then upon the albino Mistwalker herself. She shrugged. "Ah guess tha' depends on wha' ye hev," she responded to Calia's inquiry on price, glancing pointedly at the woman's satchel. "Wha' sorts o' things de ye hev te trade?" After all, she didn't know what would make a good trade until she knew what the other person had to offer and she was not about to make another fool of herself.

OOC: <3

[WC — 302]

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Calia

Elle’s abashed explanations only made the albino laugh even harder. Which wasn’t fair, really, the Nightstag could tell that the girl felt bad for her startled reaction. ”Honey, don’t mind me.” Calia waved her hand in another attempt to brush off the Cormier’s embarrassment. Eventually, the Nightstag was able to make a (somewhat) smooth transition of topic, inquiring about the girl’s jewerly selections.

”Oh, my dear! These are lovely…” Calia gasped out loud as the curly haired girl lay a couple pieces of jewelry out for the Nightstag to admire. The bracelet was crafted from a leather strip with some wooden beads strung through it. Upon closer inspection, the albino could see that some of the beads were stained with different colors. However it was the necklace that caught the Nightstag’s eye. Beads carved from smoothed bone alternated with the wooden ones, and a stunning centerpiece of a pale sea glass shard completed the look. Calia was sold on the spot.

The albino began reaching out, as if to touch the sea glass, however she stopped herself just in time. ”Oh! Yesum’ of course…” Calia began rummaging around in her satchel. ”Let’s see, hmmmmm.” The pale furred woman began methodically displaying the various items that were packed in her side bag: a jar of clotted ewe’s milk, some furs from her last butchering, and ropes of sinew for trap use. The Nightstag rattled off brief descriptions as she gestured to each of the items.

”I know it ain’t much,” Calia admitted, finalizing her brief spiel ”The Vale is still gettin’ it’s stores together, you see. All of these come from my own production.”

”Any of this catch your eye for that darlin’ necklace of yours?” Calia inquired, taking a deep inhale to replace all the breath she'd lost during her monologue.

wc 301
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Thu May 03, 2018 8:13 am

Standing awkwardly in front of the giggling Mistwalker, defeat and discomfort plain in the way she held her body and looked pointedly away, Elle could only curse her uncle over and over again in her head. By the time Calia had sort of regained her composure, she had long since resigned to her fate as a laughing stock of Mistfell Vale. She made a noncommittal sound when the Nightstag waved her hand with the instruction not to mind her.

But Elle would be hard pressed to ever forget the feeling of her embarrassment.

It felt good to move away from the disaster of her first impression on the albino Nightstag and receive some validation for her offerings. She watched as Calia observed the pieces of jewelry, thinking she saw something in the woman's crimson eyes as they fell upon the necklace. Elle was still a budding trader and certain cues that prospective buyers showed still weren't commonplace to her. Though, one day, she hoped to recognize those subtle observations and use them to her advantage.

As Calia began to retrieve her own items, Elle's eyes locked curiously on the jar. "Wha's that?" she asked, pointing to the clotted ewe's milk. The rest of her offerings were familiar and seemed worthy of a trade, but Elle was particularly interested in the jar. The more unique the item, the better. "Ah'd be interested in tradin' yon necklace for tha' maybe..." Depending on what it was.

OOC: Heheheh I love awkward, embarrassed Elle. >:D

[WC — 249]

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Calia

Despite Calia’s nonchalant attitude, the Cormier girl was still evidently embarrassed. However the Nightstag was quick to switch topics, failing to conceal her ogling of the jewelry the girl presented. Elle took notice of this - for it was impossible not to - and, thankfully, seemed to forgo her shame for the time being. The albino talked as she pulled out her offerings, just as cheerful as ever.

”That necklace is simply lovely,” Calia continued as she lay out her items one by one ”Is that sea glass I see there?” Such jewels the sea coughed up were becoming rarer and rarer by the day - unsurprising, as nowadays not so much litter is dumped into the oceans. The waters that ravaged the shores of her homelands were much too violent for the Nightstag to search as a girl, although every once and a while the waters would still and the children would scavenge along the shoreline. Those were simpler times, back then.

”Ah, this?” Calia presented the jar of Elle’s interest, practically beaming This is a drink back from my homelands - quite a delicacy back there, ya see!” The albino unscrewed the top of the jar, extending it towards the young woman to inspect ”It’s a drink for...special occasions, lets say.” Calia chuckled ”Tastes a bit rancid, but does the job as well as any mead!”

”You can try a lick, if you want!”

wc 236
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 am

The way the albino Mistwalker ogled at the necklace and praised its beauty made Elle swell up with pride, despite the fact that she had had absolutely zero hand in its creation. The necklace had been something that Krokar had kept in its communal stores for use as trade, whether internally or with the outside world was of no importance so long as the pack received something of equal or greater value in return. Elle had no idea who had made the thing, but she recognized its beauty just as well. "Aye, 'tis," she confirmed, grinning. "Ah think tha' it would look bonny on ye; tha' color is good with yer eyes."

Elle was talking out of her ass now like a real merchant. Encourage them to imagine themselves with the item, she had learned. Help them realize what they would be missing without it.

Looking the jar over with seagreen eyes, Elle nodded. "Yer homelands? Wheore aare ye froom, then?" It was mostly conversation as she reached out her hands and took the jar from Calia. With the lid unscrewed, the odor from within was sharp and strong. Elle wrinkled her nose but was not put off. She looked from the contents back to the Nightstag doubtfully. Rancid? But, then, it was still alcohol and hey, if it got the job done...

With a shrug, Elle tilted her eyes back down at the jar and lapped at the contents. "Oof!" she hissed, squinting her eyes and pulling her head back up. "Tha's got a taste te it, dinnae it?" she commented, giving her head a quick shake. But there was something oddly enticing about it. Elle nodded approvingly. "How many hev ye got o' this an' wha' aare they worth te ye?" She wondered if she the necklace would be enough for two, or just one. If just one, then maybe she could trade something else for a second jar for herself.

[WC — 324]

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 29, 2018 10:17 am

Calia

At the Cormier’s tactful compliment, the Nightstag practically preened in reply. ”Aw, you think so?” Calia gushed, laying a palm flat against her cheek to cool the flush that was building up there. Yes, she supposed that the pale blue of the sea jewel offset her eye color quite nicely. The albino typically responded to such flattery positively, melting just like butter.
Oh yes, the Cormier girl would grow up to be a fine merchant indeed. Elle’s silver tongue served her quite nicely in this field.

”Came from across the seas, I did!” Calia spoke proudly as Elle accepted the jar from her ”My old home lived right on the shores, scaling cliff sides with mountain goats.” Her clan had made the best of a rather harsh and unforgiving environment, rearing sure footed beasts that could endure the cold of the northern winds. Their livestock were their livelihood, and the Nightstag had been determined to bring that piece with her when she came to these new lands, rearing goats here just as she did for years prior.

The Nightstag burst into a peal of laughter at Elle’s reaction to the clotted milk. ”Don’t say I didn’t warn ya!” Calia chuckled. Oh yes, the drink was a rather pungent one, and rather rancid tasting at that! But if one could push past the rather unappealing taste and scent, they would find that it was quite a suitable alcoholic drink.

And it seemed that the Cormier agreed with that sentiment. The albino smiled broadly at the curly haired girl’s reply. ”Fraid I just got this one jar, at the moment.” the Nightstag admitted. She had traded two jars away a few days prior, to another young Krokar woman who had approached her at this very border. ”I got another batch coming, though it’ll be a few days at the least.”

”If I may, I would love that necklace for a jar o’ kumis.”

wc 321
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

Dead Topics