burn the scorecards, balance out the scales

POSTED: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am

With the help of Corrine (who asked him far too many questions about the death of Ask Fylgja, given an opportunity with the man who had been avoiding her for months), Neith hoisted the tiny mattress from his tiny bedroom of the Heiwa household to the small home he had chosen for himself, a short walk due east. The weather turned seasonable and sunny, the little creature spirits strayed away from tripping him between the ankles, and a two-day headache had at long last subsided: A perfect trinity for outdoor work.

Corrine was not at all built for labor, but the mattress was not too heavy and she accepted his request for help with little concern. She was the only communal slave Neith could think of, considering how rarely he called upon them. In trips she carried a series of his plants in pots and jars as well, and left with a sprout in a jar of one of his medicinal herbs as thanks for her assistance.

His things piled loosely inside and outside the front door, Neith stood for a time in the threshhold, hands on his hips, taking in the open and dusty space. The broken chairs and table. The collapsing cabinets he would need to learn how to fix. The room he had set aside for his study, with the skeleton of a dead man the first thing to be given a place and shamelessly assembled over the course of several hours.

He looked at his long shadow across the room, cast from his feet and the sun behind him, and considered what it meant to be an Arbiter, or how long he would live in this home before the Thistle Kingdom became too much for him.

Neith sneezed on dust and decided these thoughts a touch too stressful for him to meander about on moving day. He gathered up a series of books outside the door and carried them to the good shelves in his study.

Neith’s moving some things into his new home! All welcome for up to 2. Residence info is here, for reference.

whose eyes you gonna use?
Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm

It was hard not to miss the goings-on in the house at the end of the road from where he lived. O'Riley had noticed it in passing, and once again when he had become curious and spied from a distance, and now that he had traveled past and confirmed his suspicions as to the activity, decided himself informed enough to approach. Being that this was a common road traveled for those who lived beyond it (his aunt, who rode as often as the weather allowed these days, and Cleome and his family, which seemed to have grown if the rumors were true) O'Riley was given easy excuse to find himself at the door.

The building was small, which was why he had chosen to come on four legs instead of two. Erring further that his presence surely intimidated Neith (given how he had acted upon seeing him last) even further gave calculated thought to his choice of form. The dark-faced wolf sat outside in the pleasant sunlight and listened to the sounds inside.

He smiled to himself, considering the man within, and felt tension ripple through the muscle beneath a healing scab. His fur was growing back and driving him half-mad, but Neith had been considerably handy with his work (as had been O'Riley, following his instructions) and the result both pleased and annoyed the Apprentice. This would have been more useful earlier, when he had gotten his leg damn near shot to hell. The bare skin there was off-colored and dead looking, like all of his scars.

Maybe he'd go hunting, O'Riley thought, daydreaming about the possibilities as he waited on the unimpressive porch.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am

Charged by the adrenaline of excitement, the Heiwa shifted from one task to another seamlessly and without completion, creating progress on several things at once and swerving about his new home as if utterly lost among the walls. Dust collected in his nostrils and prodded at this sinuses, but he did not mind. To smell nothing at all also meant not to smell the dust and age, and to be reminded constantly just how much work he had ahead of him.

Neith remembered the jars left at the doorstep, and found not far from them one O’Riley, smiling, and basking in the sun as if waiting for something.

The Arbiter stared, not quite bewildered but not quite delighted, either. Before even speaking, his eyes drifted to the scratch cleaned and sewn up some couple weeks prior. At a glance, it seemed to be healing well enough. Good. Neith hated to relive the experience.

The Heiwa pasted on a smile. “O’Riley. If you wanted to come in, you could have asked.” He scooped, collecting into his arms what was left of his belongings outside. “What do you think? It is a fine place. Suits me well enough, but there is a lot of heavy lifting to be done.”

Did he live nearby? Neith didn’t recall. Whatever the case, Neith hadn’t forgotten the Apprentice’s disdain for his competition against Grievous in terms of strength. Regardless the reason why O’Riley stooped on his porch, the Heiwa could placate any problems before they arrived. This was his home now, after all.

“Come in, if you’d like,” he said, crossing back inside. “How is the leg healing?”

If someone still wants to jump in within the next couple posts, feel free.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm

yes it's me the dog i'm exploring ur house where are ur snacks

You sounded busy, the wolfdog said. He looked at the building and at Neith with the sort of vague disinterest he might have to seeing something he didn't truly care about, but was quick to take up the doctor's offer and make his way indoors when invited.

It was a place still very much in the process of being settled, and smelt like dust and upturned air as much as it did Neith and the slave woman who had been helping him. The building itself was not in disrepair, and this largest central room provided ample space for O'Riley to move around. He sniffed this and that as he went, talking in-between.

Yeah, I suppose, this place isn't bad. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up – can't be as hard as fixing up cuts and things, eh? He flashed a toothy smile and lifted his leg. This is doing fine. Haven't had any trouble with it. So what's all this you brought with you? What sort of heavy stuff do you have to move?

His casual pace around the room, along with his form, suggested he was not offering his assistance. If anything, O'Riley was more curious about what Neith intended to do with all the available space, as his roaming legs soon illustrated.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 pm

He looked busy? Well enough, then. Neith would have gladly been mistaken for such if it mean no unwanted visitors, but he was followed within and did not dwell on the fact. He would stay busy, then. It was not as if he knew how to make conversation with the likes of O’Riley Eternity.

Four-legged and meandering, the Eternity was of no help. Happy to ask about it, but hardly offer up his services. No matter. “Well, I’m not sure,” said Neith, sorting his jars and broken vessels of herbs and salves deposited on the floor near the crooked cupboards. “It’s taken me well over a year to feel like I can confidently stop some bleeding. Carpentry? Never tried it.”

He straightened up and stretched his back once at full height. “That over there will be where I sleep,” he gestured, “that’s storage, I guess, that’ll be my study, and over there I’d like to have a little clinic of my own.”

“I’d like to build some sort of bed in the clinic, and I’ve got broken shelves and chairs everywhere.” He sighed, taking in the weight of his growing to-do list as he glanced from doorway to doorway. “Putting that all together is the heavy lifting, more than anything else. I don’t have any materials or know-how. I’m not sure where to start.”

The doctor watched O’Riley wander about for a beat. “What brings you by, anyway? I don’t suppose you know anything about construction.”

can you eat disappointment? is disappointment nutritious enough?

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm

someone break up this tension pls lol

Hm, O'Riley hummed, following Neith's movements with his head. He finally settled in a clear spot more or less out of the way, sitting on his haunches and letting his legs sprawl. As wolves went he was a larger one and took up considerable room regardless.

Still, it was an attempt at politeness (or something meant to look as such).

I live down the road, here he indicated the trail leading south with a look. I wasn't sure what you were doing around here and thought I would find out. As far as fixing things, well, I can do a little of that. You might be able to find someone else if you ask around, O'Riley went on, as if he did not wish to be tasked with such pursuits. My place is the one before my aunt's, but you'll know it by the animals, eh?

Olaf and Jonesy were handsome things (Olaf more than the mule, though O'Riley was particularly fond of the long-eared thing). It had been a long time since O'Riley was able to ride his horse, though.

Any horse, he heard his grandmother's voice, and his face tightened with displeasure.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Fri May 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Helena Troy Lykoi

ohohohoh I've come to make things better/worse

Undoubtedly in future she might either wish she had taken a different path or be unaccountably pleased by what she encountered. Such was the way of things. Inclined to wander on her way (the collection of small jars filled to the brim tucked securely away) she let her paws take her where they would, enjoying the prosperous sight of Salsola and its grand ruins.

A house she knew to have been unoccupied surprised her with evidence of new life within. Things had changed since she had last strolled this way and being the curious, nosy woman that she was Helena was inclined to investigate.

The gift of scent told her of the three that were close, with one fading away. The tongue wet her nose delicately and legs carried her up onto the porch, where she could hear two male voices that matched their scents,

"'Allo?" There was a something to the quality of the air here, mixed with the dusty and general abandoned feel. A toothy smile cracked her black lips as she peered her head about the not-quite-closed door.

Feel the heat of my breath
Hear the furnace in my chest
Helena Troy Lykoi

Salsola
The Quartermaster
Jace
Luperci Conserje Mate to Calla and Till Salsola's Top Poster!

POSTED: Sat May 19, 2018 8:43 pm

In all his words and motions, O’Riley walked a strange threshold between difficult to read and plainly obvious. This interaction was no different. He was in the Heiwa’s home, wandering about, making himself unpleasantly comfortable, unfairly taking away the honor of being the home’s first guest. He wasn’t about to help out—or not much, anyway—either.

“Mhm,” muttered Neith almost dismissively, playing nice, wearing a plastic smile. “I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. It was very nice for you to stop by, I apologize I can’t talk more what with all I have to do—”

Helena poked in her head. Fantastic.

“Well, two visitors in one day and none of them bleeding,” said the Arbiter. “Seems this is a lucky home. Come in, come in, Helena, make yourself comfortable.”

He hastened past her and into the clinic, returning a moment later with a chair he set down and gestured for her. “Do forgive the mess, I’m still moving in my things. What brings you by?”

Something collapsed in the clinic behind him, drawing his attention back. He found the unsteady desk had toppled over without the chair beneath. “Does Grievous know anything about carpentry?” he called from within.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Sat May 26, 2018 4:10 pm

The wolfdog looked over sharply at the newest intrusion into the place. It was not peculiar that two people of similar rank and localization might be found in company, but O'Riley remarked to himself that both of these people had an interesting connection. His thoughts filled with blood and fire and the abandoned lands to the east—

With a great rushing WHUMP something fell in the room behind Neith. O'Riley turned his head, ears pricked. He rose to his feet and followed to the doorway, where he peered in with great curiosity.

To Helena he offered a casual glance, the best he could manage while on four legs as far as a proper greeting. Arbiter, he acknowledged her, but soon turned back to Neith and his mess.

Maybe, O'Riley answered. His expression betrayed his annoyance at Neith's question, though he snorted under the guise of clearing away all the dust that had been disturbed by the fall. You could trade for one, if you found the right person. Do you know anyone who makes furniture? He looked back to Helena. Or where it might be found?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Helena Troy Lykoi

ooc

The black smile widened as she stepped fully inside, choosing to be amused rather than wary at the something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Not bleeding is a fortunate thing." She peered around at the obviously still in progress house and coughed quietly at the dusty smell that invaded her nose.

"I 'eard you were moving, zo I came to zee if you maybe needed assistance." For Helena, her mate's grievances were not her own, she had no quarrel with the Heiwa family.

Helena nodded gratefully for the chair he provided her and sat down, the small jars hidden in her cloak clinking softly. The collapse of furniture in the other room gave her cause to flinch slightly, the trials of war were still fresh and the image of her once-home burning in the distance sometimes kept her awake at night.

"'Enchman." She greeted, O'Riley was something of a mystery, she liked to think that she knew everyone in Salsola but that did not mean that she knew them as the persons they were.

The tension was.. palatable between the two men and again she was somewhat entertained,

"Actually I do." She answered, "Zhere is a man within Salsola, Duncan de le Poer. 'E made me a wonderful chest to store my things. Perhaps you should talk to 'him and get his opinion on what you need. She raised her voice for the last part, for Neith to hear from the other room.

Feel the heat of my breath
Hear the furnace in my chest
Helena Troy Lykoi

Salsola
The Quartermaster
Jace
Luperci Conserje Mate to Calla and Till Salsola's Top Poster!

Dead Topics