I want to fill it with color and ducks

POSTED: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 am

The beaver was heavy in Posey’s jaws, but she held her head aloft to keep it from dragging the ground. Its fur was still damp from the river Lyric caught it in, and tasted like it – but Posey didn’t mind that, and she hoped her giftees didn’t either.

In a new, small pack like Mistfell Vale, good news traveled quickly. The timid chestnut mother, Cecily, had finally given birth. Despite the faint urge to visit the child immediately, Posey knew that she wasn’t familiar enough with the family to do so; she had no right to barge into their business as they were at the very beginning of their new life. That, and she wanted to give it a couple weeks regardless; she remembered her own fierce instincts over her first litter. New, nervous mothers were dangerous animals.

She moseyed through Winterwynd, her tail wagging, and found the females’ den not too far from her own. Pausing at the entrance, she dropped the beaver on the ground and wuffed softly.

Helloooo, dearies! It’s Posey, I’ve brought ya supper! Reckon this a good time?

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 am

Word Count → 300 :: Tanya | Cecily

Cecily licked her small pup. Over the past week he had begun eating bits of meat along with her milk, and he had grown a lot since he was born. He pushed himself off the ground and tottered away from her slowly in an attempt to get to Tanya, who smiled and picked him up. Cecily jumped when a voice came from outside, and began to growl before realizing who it was. She took a deep breath and peeked out of the den, smiling at Posey and gesturing for her to come in. Tanya got up, raising a brow at Cecily, and peered out of the den as well. Ronak squirmed in her arms a little bit before settling down.

They backed away from the entrance to the den and let the older woman come in. Cecily sat down on the furs they shared and smiled at the woman. How are you, Posey? Everything alright? She asked happily. Tanya set Ronak down and joined her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Ronak tottered to them slowly, making crying sounds and babbling. Cecily smiled at the boy and almost hit herself when she realized that she hadn't told Posey Ronak's name yet. Posey, this is Ronak. She said before picking him up and holding him gently while he babbled. He's loud. He just started doing this a few days ago and hasn't stopped, it's ridiculous. Tanya said quietly, pho-glaring at the small puppy. Cecily grinned and leaned against her mate happily.

ImageImageImage

Bones
Luperci
I FIGHT BACK

POSTED: Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am

Posey lowered her ears deferentially when a growl rumbled from the den, but it cut off abruptly before a brown face peered out at her. The old wolf took a deep breath and smiled at the girl, then picked the beaver back up and shuffled inside – stopping when she spotted the puppy. Her eyes widened with delight, but her answer was muffled by the wet-tasting fur of the rodent.

She plopped it back down and wiggled excitedly. Oh I’m all right! Her eyes roamed over the precious face of the babbling pup, the stark white and dark chestnut fur, and inched closer, all but crawling on her belly. A stranger, she did not want to frighten the puppy who'd only known the company of his mothers for weeks. Oh, may I? she asked, stretching her muzzle out to give him a sniff and a gentle lick.

Ronak! What a good name, she purred. Oh Cecily, he looks just like you! Reckon he somehow looks like Tanya too, huhuhu. She twitched her ears at the babytalk then winked at the malamute mother. Wait till he starts formin’ opinions, they learn t’ mouth off to mommies early. My little Lyrie, oh, she was a quiet baby but when she got goin’, ain’t nothin’ convinced her to stop till ya agreed with her, the little booger. Not much so now -- the stoic she-wolf had grown up faster than she had a right to.

She wagged her tail, slapping it against the earthy floor of the den. How are the two of ya? Managin’ to find sleep between all the nursin’ and cryin’, I hope. Oh you know, I would be glad to watch him now that he’s old enough to eat a lil bit of spit-up meat, yeah. Give ya some time to recuperate. Posey had hardly had the luxury with her first litter, and it had driven her near to madness. She knew what that sort of desperation could drive a mother to do, and so it was more than a kind offer. The survival of puppies often depended on the comfort of the pack: it takes a village, they say.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Word Count → 300 :: Tanya | Cecily

Cecily smiled happily, excitement and pride blooming in her chest. Ronak flopped around, not really paying attention to anything but the newcomer and her soggy brown thing that smelled weird. She grabbed Tanya's hand and squeezed it both out of love and for the want of support when Posey said that Ronak looked a bit like Tanya. Posey sniffed Ronak and he sniffed her back a bit curiously, then recoiled when she licked him, snapping his head up to look at Cecily with wide eyes. She giggled and smiled at Tanya, who raised her brows at the puppy. She smiled at Posey and returned her attention to listening to her talk about her puppy, Lyrie. She grinned at the story and sank to her knees and sat down, pulling down Tanya as well.

Tanya huffed and rested against the furs of their bed, watching Posey interact with Ronak as if she expectedd Posey to attack him. Cecily smiled and leaned against her partner, trying to get her to relax a bit and enjoy their company—their first company in quite a while. Wow, thanks a lot! Umm, yeah, I'd love to take a break from everything. Yeah, well, we're doing pretty well now. It was petty awful at first just because we couldn't get any sleep and couldn't do anything and I couldn't leave the den for fear that he was suddenly going to die for no reason, but now we're doing better. And I'm becoming less and less obsessed with him being with me, so now we've been wanting to have some time for ourselves, haha. Cecily said, beaming at the older woman.

Ronak started pawing the beaver, pushing it around and jumping onto it, before inevitably tripping over it and flopping onto the floor. She jumped up and whined, tucking his tail between his legs and running to Cecily. She pulled him into her lap and squeezed him into a hug. I've been hoping to learn to ride our horse, Tempest. Luckily for me, Tanya knows how to ride. Which is unsurprising since Tempest was hers. But she's going to teach me. I don't know when we'll actually get around to it, but I'd love for you to take care of Ronak for a few hours while I learn.

ImageImageImage

Bones
Luperci
I FIGHT BACK

POSTED: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Ronak recoiled when the old wolf kissed him, his baby blue puppy eyes (what color would they turn when he was old enough, Posey wondered) seeking his mother's reassurance. Not offended in the least, Posey giggled and continued to wiggle around on the floor invitingly, keeping her posture as submissive and nonthreatening as possible -- for the baby's sake, and for the protective parents', too. It was important for a caretaker to instill trust and confidence in their charges and the beleagered parents they aided. As silly and airheaded as Posey acted, it was clear that she had experience with puppies.

Cecily leaned into her mate, full of more smiles than Posey had ever seen the timid girl. She explained that a break would be welcome, and mentioned her anxieties about Ronak's early life. Mention of Ronak "dying for no reason" made Posey look up, her smile fainter than before, but for once she held her tongue and did not admit that Cecily's fear was founded; anything from illnesses to curses to sheer bad luck could steal a baby's breath or cause it to waste away. Brushing memories aside, she watched the precious little pup pounce at the beaver.

Ahaha, the crazies do die down, yes indeedy, Posey agreed gently, waving her tail. Not that he won't find other ways to drive ya mad eventually! But it feels good, the first full night o' sleep, makes ya feel like a proper person again. Motherhood was a battle from the start, and between pregnancy, hormones, childbirth, and more hormones -- it changed folk and their priorities, irreparably altered lives. She wouldn't trade it away for anything.

Spooked by a tumble, Ronak ran back to his mother. Posey stretched then sat upright, smiling and nodding at Cecily's talk of horses and things. Not knowing a damn thing about horses, she didn't know what to add, but reaffirmed her offer warmly.

Well, whenever ya need it, I'm glad to help! Posey watched the pup clamber into the woman's lap. I can gather him up 'n' take him t' my den, or I can watch 'im here. Don't need nothin' in return. Her eyes softened. After all, I miss it -- havin' little ones around, I mean. It had been years since she'd had the chance to watch over such small puppies, see them grow. What a bittersweet joy it had been to have nursing babies snuggle between her and Hattie -- and what a comfort in that arctic den to watch those snowy girls grow up in bliss.

Almost misty-eyed, Posey winked. Why, I reckon I could start right now.

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Raze
Luperci

Dead Topics