Request from the heart

Calia

POSTED: Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 am

like amateurs in love's charade

She probably should wait, and she probably should talk to Theo first, but the thought of either precaution gave her moths in her stomach. She and her beloved mate had been here less than a week and she wasn't in the position to be making requests or demands. After all, they had already been let into the fold, given a chance to prove themselves, allowed their own residence, and given the freedom to start a new life under the protection of the pack... how could she ask for anything more? Well... she was going to do it. Hopefully it would not be too much of a burden on the pack, and would not anger her new leaders, but it was something that was so important to her...

The Redpaw femme padded quietly through the deteriorated streets of Winterwynd, stalling for time by pretending to admire some of the buildings, but not really seeing them at all. By now, she had sharpened her own staff, had an unsuccessful hunt interrupted by Yuka (even the thought of the woman aggravated her), and had found some scrap leather and made herself a little anklet. It was that anklet that gave her the resolve to make this request... Or, rather, the fact that she didn't have to come entirely empty handed.

The wild woman picked her way through the streets, fingers toying with the small burlap bag that dangled from the leather thong tied to her wrist. She found the place that she understood to be Calia's – hopefully she was right – and after shuffling slightly, raised a fist to rap rhythmically on the door.

No turning back now.

ooc She's not wearing the outfit in the table pic, she's "nude" in that never-nude anthro way, with just a leather anklet, and holding a small pouch. | [wc — 200+] template by hilli

Nukiira
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 03, 2018 12:16 pm

ooc - Thank you for starting!

Calia

For once, the air outside was warm enough to warrant the windows in her cottage to be open. Or, rather, to pull down the curtains that had been nailed over the square openings to block out the cold during the winter months. Well, there was certainly no need for that now! The Nightstag took great joy in ripping the might stretches of cloth down, taking a big gulp of the fresh spring air that slowly filtered out the old, stale smell within her abode. Tossing these old blankts aside, Calia set about to brushing the “widow stills” free of any debri that had gathered there.

Now that good weather was here, the Nightstag had a few projects in mind. Namely, to build some sort of fence behind her quaint cottage to contain the goats at night. While she felt no ill will towards letting her beasties roam free during the day, the thought of them running amok during the evening made her nervous. How long would it take for an opportunistic predator to claim one of them, or even another Luperci? No, she didn’t feel that any of her Mistwalkers would do such a heinous crime - but there was no controlling what the folks outside the borders did.

The Nightstag broke free of her thoughts as a visitor knocked on her door. ”Coming, dear!” The albino called cheerfully, opening the door to greet the newcomer. Before her stood one of their newest members, Valeria. Compared to the sordid state she had arrived to their borders in, the wolfess was positively radiant. Her golden fur had since been cleaned and freed of debris, and Calia took note of the leather anklet adorning her ankle. It seemed that the Redpaw woman was settling nicely, and Calai grin grew wider.

”My, my, you look very nice today!” The albino complimented. Her gaze drifted towards the pouch in Valeria’s grasp in a curious manner, however it wasn’t long before she addressed the Crowstooth once more. ”What brings you here, dear?”

wc 337
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag (NPC)
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Fri May 04, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm on the hunt, I'm after you

It was refreshing the way her leader's face lit up at the sight of her. The compliment that whisked past her lips was heartfelt, and that made the already proud woman stand up a little taller. Flattered, she smiled and nodded her thanks. That is kind of you. I should say, it is the effect your good pack has had on me, she held her arms out as though to be admired a little more – though not in an arrogant way.

I wish I could say I'm only here for pleasure,she said after their opening moment passed, and she dropped her arms back down to her sides. But I actually do have a... um... request to make. Forgive me if it seems dishonorable to come making demands so soon... but I promise it is not a demand, not like that. Just a question. That's all. Her eyes traveled over the boards of the house, glancing around and coming back to Calia several times over. It wasn't nerves, though some might perceive it that way, it was just how she was sometimes.

But first, now she was focused. I wanted to show you these, she spoke while she slid the pouch off of her wrist, digging her thumbs into the draw-string opening and pulling. The small sack opened easily, and she held it up higher so Calia could peer in, or take it if she chose. Within was a mound of coppery-amber seeds. These are flax seeds, Valeria explained matter-of-factly. The plant itself is very useful, with it I can make a nice linen, much softer and more comfortable than the rough-spun fabric that comes from Jute... and the plant can also be used as a food, her eyes flicked up to peer at Calia, and she was beaming. Her life up until this point had been full of uncertainty. Now she had the opportunity to settle in to a new life, and she was taking back control. Creating textiles was something she knew a bit about, and the opportunity to do so thrilled her. She couldn't wait to get her hands on some leather and fabric and sew herself and Theo something – her skills were rudimentary, and her finished products were what some people might call barbaric or savage, but that did not deter her one bit.

I would like to cultivate it for the pack, she explained. Which I'll be happy to do... even if you say no to my request. That strange, foreboding request she kept alluding to. Her eyes flicked around. In truth, she just didn't want to ask somebody something so important while standing informally on their porch. It just seemed to cheapen it somehow. She wasn't about to say that to Calia, though. Instead, she lingered and tried to hint toward an invitation inside, or for Calia to come out.

ooc stuff here | [wc — 400+] template by hilli

Nukiira
Luperci

POSTED: Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Calia

At Calia’s compliments, the Redpaw woman noticeably relaxed a little. ”Aw, yeah, life as a loner can take a toll on a person,” Calia agreed ”It certainly wasn’t the life for me! No, pack life suits me much better.” The albino smiled as Valeria extended her arms, as if to be admired a bit more. It was good to see the sudden change in confidence in the woman, since she and her mate sought passage in the Vale.

”Dishonorable?” Calia’s brows furrowed, not in distaste but rather confusion. ”Honey, whatever you have to say, I doubt it’ll be dishonorable.” The Nightstag widened the door in an invitation ”Ask whatever questions you want, dear. I’m a reasonable woman.” From the very first time that Valeria approached the Vale’s borders, she had been very careful to display rigid shows of submission to her leaders. From what calia knew, the woman had come from a wolf pack with a strict hierarchy and social rules. The Nightstag hoped that, one day, she would come to see that the Vale was not same, and feel more comfortable around her superiors.

The albino leaned forwards in interest as Valeria drew out the leather pouch, revealing the contents within. Inside was a sizable amount of tiny, coppery seeds. ”Flax seeds?” Calia questioned, for she had never heard of such a plant back in her homelands. The Nightstag remained quiet, nodding along as Valeria delved into a brief explanation. Clothing, the albino didn’t know too much about. Food, on the other hand...”How can it be used as food?” Calia asked curiously. She had never heard of something that could be used both as clothing and food.

”This flax you speak of could be a very useful trading item with other packs,” Calia mused outloud ”Certainly if it serves multiple functions. What sort of conditions do the seeds need to grow?” Calia stepped out from her house, shutting the door behind her.

”Perhaps I can help you find a suitable spot in the Vale’s territory.”

wc 336
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag (NPC)
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm

It was rather amazing that she and Theo found this place after just a few inquiries about the local packs put in amongst the loner populace. They needed a pack that would accept them both, and their mateship, and maybe one day their children. There was a small handful to pick from... obviously not the coyote pack, she didn't understand the scholar pack, or the pack of witches. No, the list quickly whittled itself down to three different packs, and as a leap of faith they picked the Vale. Everyone here had been kind and easily related to, like Calia was before her, spouting about how hard loner-life was. True, pack was in Valeria's DNA, and had they not found a home she might have become so desperate for that kind of companionship that she'd run back to her home, even if Theo couldn't come with. Thankfully, that didn't seem like a possibility anymore.

Calia quickly refuted the idea that anything Valeria could ask would be seen as “dishonorable,” so sure and quick about it that Valeria laughed softly and the tension eased considerably. Thank you for your kindness, she said, finally finding the nerve to ask, but she banked it for just a moment longer because the conversation had moved on to the seeds she had brought.

The ivory woman stepped out of her house now and closed the door behind her, and Valeria perked up, her tail twitching with happy anticipation. She had peaked her interest, and now was happy to impart her knowledge. Oh, yes, it's quite an amazing plant! You see, she began, as she tugged the strings on the pouch to close it again and, with a vigor in her step, skipped off the porch to begin sketching with a claw among a dirt patch. She drew a line, shoots coming off of it, (presumably leaves) and then the head of a flower, erased it all, clapped her hands to rid them of the dust, and redrew it better this time, all the while her tail flicking to and fro.

This is what they look like. Kind of. I'm not a great artist. Yeah, they grow a pretty blue flower, too, so they're even a crop that's beautiful to look at. Okay, here, see the long stem? Well, inside that stem the plan grows these fibers, she pointed and gesticulated accordingly. They take about three months to grow, then you harvest them for the fiber inside the stems. If you harvest too early, the fiber will be too thin and weak, but if you wait too long, they will become too thick and brittle, so it's very important to mark the days properly... which I can do, of course. Getting the fibers out for spinning takes time, but it's work that will pay off. After the plants are harvested, the stems are soaked for about a fortnight to loosen the clumps of fiber from the thick shoot inside. After that, they're laid out to dry and then the woody shoots inside can be broken away from the fibers. When all is said and done you're left with two kinds of fiber, one that makes a soft, luxurious fabric, and one that is a bit more... common... and used for everyday goods. Depending on what the people of the pack want, we could keep the tow flax... the “common” goods... and sell the soft stuff. Or the other way around.

Valeria paused to beam at Calia, all pretense and docility now gone out the window. This was something she knew, something she could do. A moment later, however, her ears tipped back and she looked thoughtful. Of course... I would need a lot of tools... but I need at least three months for the crop to grow anyway so if there are any good craftsmen or merchants hereabouts, I'm sure that would be enough time to gather the tools. Valeria snapped her fingers, One problem is the ideal time to harvest fiber and the ideal time to harvest seeds – for replanting or for food – differ. The best time to harvest the seed pods is after four months of growth, but if you wait that long you're pushing it with the fiber. The seeds can be used in baking, breads, gruel, things like that for taste and nutrients. It's pretty good for travelers, especially, because when ground up it's lightweight but adds energy to one's food.

There was still one more unanswered inquiry of Calia's, but Valeria was beginning to feel like she'd been talking for a while. Still, there was no getting around it... not that she wanted to. Calia offered to find a good place for the crop, and that excited Valeria even more. That's just the thing about flax! It grows pretty easy in most places. It just needs soil that drains well, and full sun. Otherwise you treat it almost like any other bed of flowers. Someplace I can haul freshwater into easily would be nice, but it doesn't even need a lot of water unless it's very dry. The roots establish quickly, so it's a very strong plant. Now Valeria had fallen in with Calia, ready to follow her anywhere she planned to lead.

ooc Sorry for the delay... was on vacation. Long post since Calia inquired about all the details of flax growing and processing. ;) <3 | [wc — 800+] template by hilli

Nukiira
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:05 pm

ooc - Calia is taking Valeria to the Hee Haw Orchards <3

Calia

At Calia’s reassurance, the golden furred woman visibly relaxed, and the cloud of tension hanging around them dispersed. ”Of course.” Calia replied simply to Valeria’s show of gratitude, a bemused smile on her face. The Nightstag did not feel that she treated the Redpaw woman any different than she did any other Mistwalker, except perhaps Felix due to his superior rank in the Vale. Everyone was in Calia’s good graces, unless they proved themselves not to be.

At the Nightstag’s inquiry, Valeria practically jumped in excitement. Eyes widened in surprise, the albino followed wordlessly as the Redpaw began etching a sketch into a patch of dirt. Peering over her shoulder, Calia could see what she assumed was a rough illustration of this so called “flax” plant. Valeria redrew the plant a second time before she sat back, satisfied enough with her handiwork. ”I hear you, dear!” Calia chuckled at Valeria’s comment ”Though I’m good with my hands, I don’t have a clue when it comes to the arts.”

”I see…” Calia mused out loud as the Crowstooth spiraled into a lengthy explanation on harvesting the plant. Though most of the soaking and the actual harvesting of the plant flew right over her head, the Nightstag gained a vague idea of what Valeria meant by these fibers. Regardless, as unfascinating as the topic of flax was, the Nightstag couldn't’t help but grin at Valeria’s growing confidence. She loved hearing others talk about their passions, even when she had little clue as of how to follow their train of thought.

”I don’t know of any renowned crafters here, no,” Calia admitted ”But perhaps you could arrange a trade with someone in Krokar, who could help out with such things.” Krokar, after all, was a much more established pack than the Vale, and had manpower to spare. If the Redpaw had the right items, perhaps she could commission a craftsman to come over the borders and do what she requested.

”Maybe you can start by simply harvesting part of the plot earlier in the season,” the Nightstag suggested ”For your bread. And the rest at a later time.”

”A hardy plant, eh?” Calia’s grin grew ”Shouldn’t be too hard to find a good spot! And I think I know jus’ the place…” As Valeria fell in step with her, the shepherd led the golden furred woman away from her cottage. Farther north the pair went, until they came across a rather worn down fence. A field of green lay within, however the fields were in need of much tender loving care.

”This used to be some sort of orchard, I believe,” Calia remarked as she guestered out to the sea of green ”You could take a section of the plot, clean it up some. Then plant your flax seed, hm?”

”Well, would it do the job?”

wc 473
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag (NPC)
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:08 am

To be given such attention to her knowledge and passions was new to Valeria, and needless to say she liked it. Not only was the leader listening to her about the proposed crop, but the leader herself was a strong woman in a position of power. Yes. This place was suited for her, indeed. Happily, she padded along next to the Nightstag, proud that she had something to offer this pack.

Krokar? she repeated, eyes narrowing with thought. There were many packs in the area and it was difficult to keep up with all of them. She had the faintest knowledge of each, and short of hearing the pack's name before she knew little about them. Nodding slowly, she committed the suggestion to memory. Thank you, but I wonder what I could possibly trade them? Well, she would figure that out when the time came. First she'd have to find someone capable of making the tools in the first place, and by then she would likely have a few more worldly possessions.

You're right about staging the harvest, she said, then shook her head with dismay. But I can't harvest one before the other. The thing that needs to be harvested first are the shoots. That requires pulling up the entire plant, so no seed pods. The elfen fae splayed out her padded hands helplessly. But I can go ahead and split off a section of the crop to harvest the seeds. If I save about a quarter of the field – depending on size – it will give us enough to try out in food and for another planting. Yes, it should do fine. Her hands dropped to her hips and she nodded once, firmly, as though sealing her decision.

The albino woman seemed to know just the right place, and Valeria's ears became perfect, perky points. Soon they emerged into a large paddock and Valeria's sapphire eyes became saucers, brightening like the sky. Her mouth dropped and made a little O shape as she took in the sight. After a short pause of silence, she jumped up and yelped It's perfect! Jogging a little ahead of Calia, she paced onto a grassy field before stopping to survey it. It has its share of weeds and looks like maybe gophers or rabbits, but the more time that's spent prepping the land is more time spent becoming part of it, intelligent eyes fixated on Calia again. As though it had been commanded to add mystery to the tribal woman's spirit, the breeze kicked up and tugged at the wisps of her hair. She was a woman with a deep connection to the land, planting a flax crop here would only serve to solidify her place in the Vale.

Happy about her contribution to the pack, and Calia's kind acceptance of her ideas, she was finally ready to address the other reason she had come, and this was as nice a place as any to ask. The sun beat down onto her tawny fur and warmed her, giving her strength.

Alright, Calia, I have my nerve now, she smiled to the Nightstag. It was half a joke, half serious. The other thing I came to ask... the favor... Well, as you know, Theo and I left our packs because our love was forbidden. If we had stayed I could have never been with him the way I wanted to, the way I know in my heart is right. She gently touched a fist to her chest, over her heart. We ran ourselves ragged in the wilds, we kept moving almost to the mintue when we set paw in the Vale. We did our own mateship but... but I was wondering... she fidgeted for a moment before spitting it out. Does the Vale have any kind of mateship ritual? We made our vows under the starlight and Theo took my name, but it just... doesn't feel right without a heartsleader to acknowledge and bless our union in front of our people... or however the Mistwalkers do it.

I don't want my own wedding, I want to do it the Mistwalker way... but nevertheless, I want one...

ooc "Heartsleader" or Hearts' Leader is a term from Valeria's own culture for a spiritual leader, like a priest or minister, but focuses on matters of mateship. | [wc — 693+] template by hilli

Nukiira
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 pm

ooc - Figured we could wrap this up with your next post, or even here if you'd like! <3

Calia

Valeria practically glowed under the attention - Calia got the feeling that the woman wasn’t quite used to being allowed to rave on a subject she cared so deeply about. While the Nightstag found her own mind wandering as the Redpaw woman mused out loud, it wasn’t as if the albino could add any valuable cents of expertise regarding the care for the flax plant. ”Try what you think is best,” Calia sang cheerfully as Valeria pondered out loud. As the Redpaw nodded firmly - evidently complete in her decision making - the Nightstag smiled warmly. ”Yes, two separate plots sound absolutely wonderful!

As the orchards came into view, Valeria’s jaw practically hit the floor. Calia gave a laugh as the woman ran ahead, spinning around and taking in as much of the field as she could. ”Mind you, it ain’t perfect yet!” Calia called as Valeria whooped joyously ”No one’s touched this for years.” But, evidently, that seemed to be a problem easily fixed by the Redpaw. ”Feel free to rope in any of your Packmates into cleaning up these fields with you,” Calia chuckled, giving the tribal woman a wink ”Tell ‘em it’s under the Nightstag’s orders.” The quicker this project could get underway, the faster the results would be. And who knew, perhaps something big could result from these little amber seeds.

”Oh?” Calia straightened up as Valeria regained her composure, speaking in a serious tone once more. The Nightstag shook her head sympathetically as Valeria revelled in the forbidden love with her Theo back in their homelands. Such prejudice sickened her - how could anyone look down on true love? As Valeria finally blurted out her question, Calia’s eyes opened in surprise. And then sheer happiness. ”Oh, my dear,” Calia breathed softly ”It would be my pleasure for the Vale to host an official ceremony.”

”It shall be for all the Pack to celebrate! Food, drink, music…” Calia trailed off, beaming at the other woman. While the Vale did not possess an official ceremony, they certainly did know how to throw a celebration. And what was love, if it was not a thing to be joyously revelled in?

Oh, Felix would practically piss himself in excitement.

wc 370
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag (NPC)
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Of course the prepping and tending of the fields was going to be a lot of work, and Calia's sobering words reeled Valeria back in for a moment. But even though she was reminded of the reality of the work, she was no less excited. Her tail still fanned the air, but perhaps at a slower pace, as she peered at the fields practically seeing herself and other Mistwalkers all pitching in to clear the detritus and rubble, churn up the soil, and spread out compost to ensure the land was fertile. She grinned and chuckled softly, No problem. On the Nightstag's orders. It was a feel-good moment, she was so thankful for Calia.

Now that she had a good idea of what needed to be done with the land to make it fit for her plants, she turned her back to it as the women delved into the topic of her wedding. Where Valeria feared she might be asking too much, Calia felt it was a great opportunity, responding happily and possibly even feeling a touch honored, Valeria thought.

She beamed at the ivory woman. It doesn't have to be anything too big, she said, though clearly the Mistwalkers would have to say something about that. But if it was... her smile turned into a mischievous grin. I don't mind waiting a bit while the preparations are made... Wouldn't that be something? All the pack come together to celebrate her wedding, the joining of wolf and dog in a union of love. It would put all of her hateful ancestors to shame.

Falling into pace beside Calia, she talked of her ideas. She had never dreamed of a big, over-the-top ceremony, but now that it was on the table she had no problem talking about a sunset wedding, and telling her that her favorite color was blue, and that, though she was quite wild and would eat most any meat, she still loved the taste of fresh spit-roasted venison, and that she wanted to dance with her pack.

And together, talking about all of her deepest dreams that she would never had loosed before, the women retreated back into the folds of Winterwynd to make their plans...

ooc Fin! | [wc — 300+] template by hilli

Nukiira
Luperci

Dead Topics