here's to the hearts you're gonna break

POSTED: Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am

It was appropriate to present a gift to the newly promoted. Brocade has struggled with the idea of visiting O'Riley but he wasn't sure why. He respected Salvia deeply and perhaps the way the man had drawn his sword was still etched in his mind. He had been prepared to protect the Hierophant from the people, and it was an image that was difficult to digest.

But change was necessary, and as Salsola began again it would require loyal champions to take up its helm.

Brocade had no doubt that the pair who now sat on the Kingdoms throne were loyal to their cores. But loyal to who he was uncertain.

Etoile had begun to grate on him, for she was always there, always watching.

Brocade felt guilty deep within his gut when he looked at her - but she had forgiven him... And that had to mean something.

He rumbled quietly as he made the long walk toward the new home of his Erilaz, the gift carefully wrapped and propped against his chest. He had chosen a bottle of drink which he had wrapped carefully in one of his scarves. It was a simple gift, but the gesture would be noticed.

He paused at the door way of the man's cabin, and after a moment knocked - chuffing his greeting through the thick door.

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:34 am

...that's all, the cat concluded, and after a moment of bright-eyed staring, licked his chest self-consciously.

O'Riley considered what Keenan had told him, and thanked the spotted wildcat for his work both verbally and with the promise of a fresh chicken. His companion seemed pleased by this.

While Keenan went to busy himself with other things (sleeping, as his disappearance into the dark bedroom suggested) the newly appointed Erilaz went back to the task at hand – in this case, oiling the leather straps of the horse harness meant for Olaf. If he was unable to ride his own horse he would certainly not allow him to idle, not when there was other work to be done.

It felt as if he was seeking things to keep himself busy, now that it was all over. He loathed waiting, but they had to let the silt settle. Once Salsola had shown itself accepting of this new change, they could move on.

A knock and throaty, familiar sound saw him abandon this task, leaving the harness and container of fatty oil on the long table between his seating. O'Riley rubbed the remnants of this on his thighs as he went to the door, and flipped the simple lock to the side before opening it.

He looked down at Brocade, not surprised to see him there, and soon spotted the wrapped item in his arms.

What brings you here? O'Riley asked, though had not moved to allow the soldier entrance within.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:03 pm

As Brocade waited he considered the ceremony and how it had changed the landscape of Salsola. Salvia had been the figurehead of Salsola for so long that it had come as a shock to all those assembled when her Grandchildren had risen up to claim their seat at the table. Brocades own ambitions were growing - he sought to make a name for himself in the Thistle Kingdom, to rise up and command a new squadron, or to organize missions that would take him far from the safety of their own borders. He understood what had driven them to their choice, but wondered how Salvia had felt when the dagger had been pressed to her collar bone.

The mans eyes darkened as he thought of the lake and the thin trail the blade had left against his own skin.

His fingers skimmed his throat as he waited.

When the door opened Brocade took in the appearance of the new Erilaz and dipped his head accordingly. The gift in his hands was suddenly heavy and he adjusted it against his chest with a careful smile. "I wanted to come and offer my congratulations to The Erilaz in person." He held the bottle aloft, tipping it towards the man, "Pledge my loyalty over a drink." Behind O'Riley his cabin opened up - furnished sparsely and scented with the leather oil that the man had been working with only a moment before.

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Now fully grown, O'Riley was among the largest of Salsola's members and looked down on nearly everyone – at least in the physical respect, like he did now when Brocade greeted him at the door.

The gray hybrid had the sort of fierce look and continence of a warrior, and had indeed been long present in this role since his arrival. That winter's war was one O'Riley had been removed from. His youth had put him at risk, and his inexperience would only put others in danger. This he had realize distantly, conscious of the consequences of such a thing as deaths piled up and his grandparents grew more somber and quiet when they did not speak in anger about the enemy. Now that he had free access to their home, O'Riley had gone over all the things his grandfather had written down. Battle plans, information gleaned from scouts, even crude maps which had been corrected as information trickled in over time – all of this he consumed eagerly, hungry for knowledge.

O'Riley coveted power above all else, though, and his ears pricked at Brocade's words.

Inside, then, he jerked his head towards one shoulder and stepped back. O'Riley slid the heavy door shut once more, disturbing dust motes in the air as it stilled.

You can sit there, O'Riley indicated the smaller of the two seating options as he retrieved the harness from where it had been abandoned. He went into another room, returned empty-handed and closed the door behind him.

His home's high ceiling gave form to shadows at its highest peak, where bare beams sprung from like a rib-cage. It was an old, simple design, and its true purpose was what allowed O'Riley easy access to the animals he looked after. The décor, what little of it was exposed, was an odd mix of the mundane and the mystical. There were a great many rocks. It was obvious what he had inherited and what was his own, a juxtaposition like his own existence.

I should be the one offering you a drink then, eh? He asked Brocade as he returned, though held his hand out for the bottle.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Brocade wondered for a moment all of the things that O’Riley had inherited in his young life – knowledge, power, a home filled with history. As the man lead him into his cabin the warrior took in the breadth of his possessions, items that had been passed on and collected – arranged to draw the eye up in and around. Brocade settled himself in a single seat, shifting his weight around until he was comfortable.

He leaned forward, allowing his elbows to rest on his knees as he waited for the Erilaz to return from his room. He rolled the bottle between his scarred hands absently.

The main area still smelt of leatherwork, but there were layers upon layers of other scents; smoke and meat, cat and Elphaba – Brocades nostrils flared wide, and be wondered what this cabin had seen. He had decided to pledge his loyalty to O’Riley soon after the meeting for it seemed a fortuitous play in the overall game – Brocade wished to ascend the ranks and wanted the violet-eyed man to understand his value.

Brocade had not inherited a single thing – had worked and starved and climbed – and had somehow been able to build something valuable behind his family’s name.

The soldier snorted as he passed off the bottle, ”If that is the case than we should offer one to each other." He lifted his gaze to smile crookedly at his leader, "They say loyalty begets loyalty."

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Humble beginnings often saw great swings of fortune. It was easy to find high places when one was always looking up.

O'Riley's luxury afforded him security and many goods which became rudimentary wealth in a society which valued things. Everyone here was always looking for something more. The next new thing showed what was capable by an individual. To provide for oneself was expected, but to have an abundance was better. When they came together to feast, it was also to show off.

Everything here was a game. Even things as simple as sharing drinks.

I get a few special things every now and again, the wolfdog began, pacing away. There was a collection of bottles and containers stacked on a table pushed against the wall. The new one was put down amongst the many, while O'Riley reached for a long-necked bottle. It was glass carefully cradled by leather shaped into a container which held it upright.

So then, O'Riley brought the bottle and two wooden bowls back. All of these things he kept close to himself despite laying them out on the table.

He seemed eager for order, despite everything else.

What sort of oath do you wish to make, Brocade?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Oaths were a special thing. Brocade thought back to the Oath he had made with Elphaba at the lake, a dagger pressed quietly to the hollow of his throat. He had promised something to her then, and it had been a different promise than the one that he had given to her father all that time ago. Lokr Revlis had asked Brocade to watch over his daughter in the ake of the ar, and back then Brocade had considered her unassuming and nothing more than a girl.

Now she was a woman, and he felt himself compelled to guard her, to pledge himself to her Crown.

O’Riley returned with bowls and another long-necked bottle. He arranged the items with care on the short table that lay between them, his hands setting the bowls squarely as he spoke to Brocade. The Erilaz despite his youth was a powerful man, and Brocade could feel the crackle of his power in the tiny cabin amongst all of his things. He wondered how many times Elphaba had been to the cabin, how often she and O’Riley bent their heads to discuss the pack and discuss the their futures.

He blew air through his lips, ”An important one.” He lifted his bowl, steadying his hand as the liquid lapped toward the edges, ”There is an oath that all young gypsies make to their families before leaving them for the first time.” He smiled, ”I will recite this for you now, with some changes of course:”

"I vow to revere and obey the laws and customs of The Kingdom, and to incite respect and reverence. I vow, by our present words and by our future actions, to render Salsola not less but better and more beautiful than it was before. All these things I do freely swear, in the name of whatever each one of us holds sacred in our hearts."

He held up his bowl, and smiled crookedly at the man who sat alongside him, ”I am at your service Erilaz. Anything you need.”

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:03 pm

The honey-wine was an old thing, but the way his mother and her mother before her made it was different still – concocted with secret herbs and touches of things his tongue recognized but could not name – but the purpose of the thing was all the same. Magic was sealed in all sorts of ways, but the taking of an oath was a matter which demanded more. Binding a person by their word alone could prove fruitless.

Like all spells, this one had phases.

Brocade spoke an oath to the Kingdom, to Salsola, and in this way he bound himself to the black soil beneath them. It was not a deeply personal oath, but this did not surprise O'Riley. He suspected, even now, that Brocade had been one of the many Elphaba chose as her supposed inner-circle.

Did they know how disposable they really were?

To defend this place and its people, O'Riley began once he had cleared his throat with the sweetly-sour concoction. To remain loyal. The Family comes before everything else, he said, purple eyes turning to Brocade. Never betray our secrets.

From the way he lingered on that, it seemed O'Riley took the idea of this quite seriously. His offerings might have been commands, for the way he spoke them. His expression lightened, however slightly, as he went on with his own promise: Keep your word and I'll fight alongside you.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

Dead Topics