The young are restless

P. Jace

POSTED: Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am

OOC -Dated 17/5/18

If I can live through this, I can do anything

Cedric rolled his shoulder with a slight wince. It still felt stiff from the situation at the Church from a week ago, from the day the boy had shifted for his first time. Cedric didn't mind the tingle of pain, it was better than wearing a sling as he'd been instructed to do. He changes for the first time and the first thing to happen is getting his shoulder injured whilst escaping a collapsed building with his milk sister. Cedric had plans, not many, but he had an idea of finally being more useful once he had hands and walked like the adults could. But instead of rushing around, finding jobs and showing his capabilities to his family, the boy was stuck 'resting' following the instructions of Jace after the pair of pups returned to her post their adventure. She claimed he'd 'dislocated' his shoulder or something, and needed at least two weeks rest.

The kid had lasted only one, and figured the shoulder pain was close enough to the growing pains he'd experienced that he could ignore it for the sake of busying himself with something. His only issue now was finding that something. Cedric sighed, brushing his hand through the new tuft of hair resting on his head, and debated what or who he could go and help. It was irritating and confusing, seeing all the adults rush around with jobs on their minds, fitting into their places around the packs like the correct pieces of a puzzle. All Cedric could do was watch on as an outlier, just some growing adolescent with no real purpose yet. The snowy boy paced the outskirts of the Fort, following the direction of the stone wall that enclosed the pack's main hub of activity. Cedric remembered chasing the walls when he was small, how giant and imposing the stone looked. Now, with a few more inches, Cedric would stand equal in height to the Fort's walls.

As Cedric admired the wall, his toes scrapped across something brittle and cold. The boy looked down to see a piece of sandy coloured brick, fallen from the wall to be engulfed by the growing grass below. The young Stryder recalled a faint memory of himself as a tiny pup, trying his hardest to pick up a fallen brick in his mouth to replace back into the wall, determined despite how small he was to fix the hole. Cedric supposed now that he had hands, such an impossible challenge as a pup would be made simple now. To exercise his point, the young Stryder picked up the fallen brick, scanning the wall with his golden eyes to find the gap and replace the stone amongst it's brethren. Returning the brick to it's home sparked a little bit of satisfaction in Cedric, even if the job was such a tiny and insignificant one. Perhaps, for now, circling and checking the Fort's wall for any damage was as good a job as any for the young Stryder. At least until he could find something more meaningful to do.
Last edited by Cedric Stryder on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lovely Avatar by Lin, and Lovely Signature by Libri!
Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 pm

ooc here

The not quite idling boy of course caught her attention. She watched him curiously as he worked to put stones back on the Fort's wall and of course disobeying her warnings to not use his shoulder and keep the sling on. Jace scowled and began to make her way towards Cedric, her staff clenched in her grasp. Her momentary ire did drain away though as she realised the boy-child was just trying to help and by the time she did reach him she was mellowed again,

"Cedric, what did I say about using your arm." She scolded lightly, reaching out and up to fondly ruffle his hair. He was getting taller than her too, they all mostly were.

Now she turned her attention to the wall and its many additions over the year, remembering when she had first visited Casa and it had been only just taller than herself, now it towered over her small stature,

"Your grand-uncle built this wall up so high. He was a good man, a true Knight." She had suckled this boy at her breast and kept his heart beating with life, there lay a connection that she would not break regardless how pissed off she was at his father.

Jace Wolfe

Casa di Cavalieri
Honored Elder
Jace
Luperci Mate to Temo Guardsman, Hunter The Brotherhood: Master of Ranged Weapons SoSuWriMo 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Champion! SteelHeart
Northern Ice Queen
Yakuso, Praeas, Guardian

POSTED: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:32 pm

OOC -Dated 17/5/18

Cedric was certain that his arm was fine. The twinges of pain were manageable, certainly compared to when he had the bone relocated in the first place. So he wasn't quite sure why he needed to keep it rested when it was fine, but that was just a mingling thought in the boy's head as he worked on the wall. Every now and then the boy would stop and smile slightly as he measured his own height against the walls. He was getting older. By anyone else's standards, Cedric was still a puppy. But for the boy, standing on two feet, using his hands to hold and carry things, made him feel just like an adult. Only without the jobs and responsibilities.

As if on cue, Cedric's ears swivelled at the sound of a stick hitting earth, and turned his golden eyes to catch Jace just as the woman walked over. The hint of stern painted on Jace's face made Cedric drop his gaze with a knowing frown, prepared to be reprimanded for disobeying her order. Whilst the elder did scold him, it felt light, and was brushed off when she ruffled his small tuft of hair. The boy huffed as the relief washed over him. "Well, it wasn't hurting anymore. So I figured it was fixed enough to use again." He replied simply put.

Cedric's connection to Jace couldn't be easily described. He could call her an 'aunt' like others did but it just didn't seem right. He didn't quite remember his time as a tiny puppy still surviving on milk, but he saw Naya as a sister. And without a mother of his own, Jace was the closest thing. And there was always that feeling of a familial bond there, when she was scolding him for taking himself and Naya off into dangerous situations or running somewhere he shouldn't. Cedric looked at the wall again, still frowning. "My great uncle?" Cedric asked, annoyed at himself for not knowing. He spent so much time as a pup running off alone that the boy hardly spent time listening to stories of his family. "There are a lot in my family, aren't there? A lot of Knights. I know my mother was a Stryder though, like me."

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:16 pm

ooc here

He hmm'ed and let him have his point with a conciliatory nod. she knew how frustrating it was to be confined to bed rest and told you couldn't work. Her ears laid back as she turned to glare at the Courthouse although she couldn't tell if any were watching them. She turned back to the boy with a tsk on her tongue,

"You should pay more attention to your lessons, family history is important. Lorenzo Knight was your father's uncle, son of the first King of Casa. He was a giant man, as a secui he came up to here on myself. He was the first of the Brotherhood, the first War Lord. " She measured against herself to the side of her neck that was where the top of Lorenzo's ears had come to.

"Yes. You're a Knight and a Stryder. You're also a Garcia, who was your father's mother. Neela was a very dear friend to me, a sister in arms. You remind me a lot of her, she liked to work and work." Jace smiled softly at the boy, knowing that he probably didn't care for these tales of old, but unable to resist telling them anyway.

"Your mother comes from... a part of the same place I do. The northern lands are harsh and hostile and full of snow and cold for long stretches of time. Wolves have to fight hard to survive." She rubbed at the scars on her face, her first true taste of battle.

Jace Wolfe

Casa di Cavalieri
Honored Elder
Jace
Luperci Mate to Temo Guardsman, Hunter The Brotherhood: Master of Ranged Weapons SoSuWriMo 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Champion! SteelHeart
Northern Ice Queen
Yakuso, Praeas, Guardian

POSTED: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 pm

OOC -Ceddy asks the deep questions

Cedric was determined to remember all he could about his family the moment he was finally old enough to be told about his mother. He wasn't told much, and at the time that had frustrated the youth. But now Cedric was a bit older he understood the hesitation was through grief. The boy's mother was gone, and she wasn't just gone for him, but for all of her children and family. It was a thought that made the youngest Stryder sad at times, knowing he'd never get to speak to her, to see the look of affection in her eyes or a spark of pride. But Cedric wouldn't let himself be selfish about it, she was gone because he and Nora were here, and that was that. Still, ever since hearing about his mother, the matron Stryder, Cedric wanted to know about his Knight family as well. But being told and remembering the word wasn't exactly easy for a growing pup with so much on his mind.

With how eager Cedric was to learn however, one day the information would stick, and Cedric would remember all of his family relations by heart. So he listened with a focused gaze as Jace explained who his Uncle Lorenzo was, golden eyes widening a little at the size. "And the first King was... Jazper right? He was my great grandfather?" Cedric asked, a small smile on his face. "I want to be like them..." He muttered. "Maybe not a King, I don't know if such a thing is even possible for me, but... I want to be part of the Brotherhood one day, maybe even War Lord... if Teagan would share it."

At mention of his grandmother, Cedric nodded. He remembered her name, from his father's teachings, and his grandfather, Tony. "Where are they now?" Cedric asked, his brow furrowed deep as he wondered over that fateful question. "All of them, my grandparents, the first King, Uncle Lorenzo... my mother. Where are they?" Cedric was aware of what the adults meant when they said someone was 'gone', but what the boy refused to understand is where. Or sometimes even why.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:27 pm

000 OOC
We come from the land of the ice and snow

While she was understanding of the impetuousness of youth she could not say she ever let it overwhelm herself at the same age. Her critical mind saw within Cedric the flaws of the young that that never been allowed to flourish within herself, it might have meant her death if she had allowed it to foster and growth. The youngness of her life, when she should have been a giggling teen had been spent fighting for survival in a cold, lonely place, that was the reality of her life.

"Yes." She smiled, a faint thing. They walked as she gave her lessons for she never could give herself over to stillness when she could be moving, Jace did have an ulterior motive for where they were going. The boy had been exposed to death but not the true realities of it. The bleached and charcoal bone garden held memories. She chuckled, a low grinding sound,

"Anything is possible - I'm not sure if Teagan would share her position, but there are others. All are equally important. Your mother and father both were Labor Heads in their time."

"Their Souls are gone, to the afterlife they believed in. Your grandparents, Lorenzo.. Jazper... they run with Fenris.. Honrin... across the night's skies." She gestured up to the sun that beamed down at them,

"Your mother, to the aurora - the twining green, blue and other colored lights that shine in the sky at night sometimes. A wolf of the Arctic always returns from the aurora from which they came." Hey eyes took on a car away cast, for instants of time Cedric could see the toil and toll of the arctic upon the old woman, in her eyes the fights for survival that had so torn her body into shreds, "Just like my mother and sister. It does not shine so brightly this far south but it is there always. They walk together in death as they did in life."

There were paces of steps before she continued her answers, demonstrating to him a strange twist of her hand a symbolized gesture, "We always use this gesture when we speak of the dead, it tells them we talk of them in good faith and with glad memories. Misfortune will befall those who talk ill of the dead, even your enemies you will treat with respect." She gave him a keen eyed almost-glare to let him know she was serious.

"Their bones lay in the Silent Meadow here in Casa. That is the place we are going now, little Stryder."

From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow
Jace Wolfe

Casa di Cavalieri
Honored Elder
Jace
Northern Ice Queen
Yakuso, Praeas, Guardian

POSTED: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:45 pm

OOC -stuff here

There was a layer of wisdom to Jace that Cedric never saw in anyone else. He gave all the adults respect, but never saw anyone else as... experienced as Jace. Her words always rung true in Cedric's ears, and the boy was eager to listen to any word she spoke. Perhaps her scars drew a painting for the young Stryder that told him of years of hardships and battle, that made the boy respect the woman on a level like no other. Her explanation of the after life was intriguing, Cedric's golden eyes glinting a little as he gazed up to the skies. It pleased him to think of them all up there, all the Knights from before him, watching the next generation of warriors grow up.

"I haven't thought on it too much, I just want to serve Casa as best I can, make everyone proud." And that meant everyone, even those not around for Cedric to see. The boy listened well, even trying to copy Jace's hand gesture, hoping just like the names of his family line he'd remember how to do it. Cedric wanted to learn and remember so much so quickly, not everything would stick, but it wouldn't stop the boy from trying his hardest.

"Even those who hurt our family?" Cedric had to ask as they walked to the meadow, respecting Jace's word and her glare, but not fully understanding how they were supposed to be so respectful to such horrible evils. He supposed honour had to be showed in every situation, even the worst ones. It had the boy thinking as they walked to the place of the dead, somewhere Cedric had never visited, not even as curious pup.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 pm

000 OOC

She saw the insecurities that lay below his surface and in that he was like most young wolves who wanted just to belong. She remembered his father, newly shifted and graced with a wooden sword hardly worth the oak it had been made from. He had challenged her to lock swords, on the visit she had made and she had made him bend to her will. Now she was too old and Luca too well trained to do such things anymore.

Jace was old and could see these connections for the truths they held within them - the passing of years had laid them out before her so clearly that all she need do was to read what was in front of her face.

In an increasingly rare gesture she turned and placed a gentle, calloused hand against his cheek,

"We are already proud of you, of the progress you have made."

The Silent Meadow followed its namesake and was quiet of everything but the distant bird-calls,

"The spirits of the dead do not discriminate, you do not want to draw their ire. Especially of those who have cause to hate you." Luck was a vague concept but the processes of the afterlife were very close and real for Jace, who had no wish to bring down the onus of destruction upon her life.

Jace Wolfe

Casa di Cavalieri
Honored Elder
Jace
Northern Ice Queen
Yakuso, Praeas, Guardian

POSTED: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm

OOC -stuff here

Cedric's need to do good was a deep rooted feeling. He'd felt the desire to protect others from the moment he could consider it, and imagine his future, from there it had only flourished. All the woes his family had faced, losing others and getting hurt, Cedric wanted to be a means to stop that from happening. He didn't know how exactly he'd do so, only that he'd try with all his being to keep everyone safe. To do something so ambitious, Cedric needed to be the best he could be, someone to be proud of.

So the tender hand on Cedric's cheek, and the words of wisdom from someone he idolised was enough to make Cedric smile a true smile. A rare feat for the boy who wasn't really aware of just how little he let a real smile show. "Thank you," Cedric replied sincerely, "I want to keep making progress, to keep everyone safe when I'm older."

Cedric supposed letting go of hatred and enemies once they were dead made sense. They were gone after all, only to be seen again when Cedric joined them. And even then, what harm could be done to spirits, or whatever Aunt Jace described them as. Cedric didn't fully understand evil anyway, it was a concept brought up in stories his father or siblings told him but Cedric had only ever known kindness and caring from those around him. It was what made him feel so protective over this place of light and love, and so blind to the darker side of the world.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

000 OOC

It was the ways of the world that the innocence of the young should be wiped away. Some more violently than others. There was an intrinsic difference between the harshness of nature, her challenges that only the strong should survive and the darkness of the monsters that existed in places where they shouldn't.

Jace had known death and loss before the rival pack had ever come along but on the night where her world had torn apart at the seams, she had learned what it was to fear.

The young man smiled, a real thing and the old woman smiled back -- another rarity.

She had not always kept to the true path, vengeance and selfish desires had turned her from the rightness. It was so easy to become lost. Jace knew her own soul was forfeit for the lives she had taken in anger and unjust reasons. Maybe one day she would pray for the mercy of gods, but for now she would continue to shoulder the burden of the stain.

This boy was as much her son as any of the true-blooded children she had birthed. He and his sister she had suckled at her breast, she had witnessed their first steps and seen their tiny eyes open. They called her daughter as a sister.

"One day Cedric, you may stand as tall as I do." High praise indeed. The shadow that Jace cast upon the ground was a very large one indeed.

Jace Wolfe

Casa di Cavalieri
Honored Elder
Jace
Northern Ice Queen
Yakuso, Praeas, Guardian

Dead Topics