i'll be the stone you need me to be

POSTED: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Lots of Salsola's livestock have given birth to cute little babies. Spend some time with these -- observe the animals, protect them from a danger, or come up with your own way to engage them.

The scent had immediately transposed him to a time where he had patrolled the borders with Salvia – the golden queen intimidating and strong as they had stalked after a predator’s trail in the Dark Wood. The animal had not been found even though Brocade had gone out many times since then in an attempt to locate the Cougar, but it had evaded him each time. He wondered sometimes if it had become a figment of his imagination, a strange and twisted obsession that called him to the wood – to the same paths that he had walked over and over again… but he still went there, still dropped his head in the same places – hopeful.

He prowled through pastures that surrounded Marrgerd, ignoring the frightened bleats of newly dropped lambs as they balked at the wolf among them. The new mothers regarded him warily, their dark legs sticking out from the cloud-like wool that encapsulated their bodies. Soon they would be shod – their wool collected to be traded. An ewe made a short sound, and they all trotted off, gathering their new crooked legged lambs to totter away from the toothy man.

Brocade chuffed and set out further into where the grass was tall and unruly, he could no longer see the barn – no longer see the sheep.

It was surprising then that he found blood spattered against the earth, glaringly red amongst a sea of green.

He dropped his head and growled softly, the scent was here.

He thought of the old cat and grinned.

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:09 pm

Maelyx Nocturne

Since the day she held council with Salsola's dark queen and had been accepted as an Associate among the fold, Maelyx had no stopped working. Elphaba had taken a liking to the jackal's daughter, Jaketta, and had claimed her as her ward. Maelyx was powerless to resist, knowing that the goddess triad had sent her here for a reason, and if she had to give up some of her control over her young daughter's life, then it was the Goddess's will. That did not mean she was not bound and determined to carve out a place for herself, a place positioned strategically close to the dark queen and her 'ward.' Perhaps that had been Elphaba's plan all along, to simply motivate her new witch to prove herself... though Maelyx did not pretend to know what the dark queen was really thinking.

It was her work that brought her here, to the fields of Marrgerd. The jackal had always been a healer, or a medicine woman of one kind or another, but had set aside her talents to allow her former mate, Avinalora, that spot light for a time. Now, Avi was gone, and she was free to delve into her studies once again. Yet, it was not the healing properties of plants that interested her anymore, quite the opposite. It was a fantastic mushroom that she hoped to find growing upon the manure from the livestock that brought her here.

The witch approached the fields clad in her dark slacks and purple corset, though she had long ago removed the stiff boning from the top for better flexibility. These clothes served as her work clothes for the time being. Her bo staff made a soft thuck, thuck noise as the butt dug into the earth with each stride, and a satchel hung across her shoulder and dangled at her hip. She was bent down to inspect a cow patty – probably looking quite foolish, too – when she noticed the sheep bleating and change direction. Maelyx stood up, straightened herself, and regarded the wolf's silvery visage.

Merry meet, she greeted as she began to pad toward the wolf, curious about what he had found. Though she did not want to butt into business that was not her own, the bright crimson spot in the grass alarmed her just as much as it had Brocade. She kept a smart distance from the apprentice, but bent over to take a closer look as well. What do you suppose happened here?

OOC ✮ 400+

Salsola
The Confidant
☥ Nukiira ☥
Luperci I command you, I control you Eclipse the Blood Moon
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

In a way the cougar represented a piece of what Brocade considered the old Salsola. It was a creature that had prowled through the territory as winter turned to spring and then rolled to expose its summer belly. It had seen the rise of Salsolas golden Queen, the once unrivalled power extinguished in one tense moment. Brocade had been part of the pack long enough to understand that it was a place that came with its own ebbs and flows – families rose to prominence before disappearing completely.

He thought of the Valentines crooked bloodline and all that it had taken for them to find their place amongst thistles and thorns.

His large paws flexed against the earth, the long claws leaving scores against the dry earth. Brocade had worked hard to control his ambition, to have each of his steps be purposeful and right. There had been mistakes too – but these he cast aside with little thought. It was difficult to find a balance – to value family and the relationships that had been built around him. He thought of Calla and her children with a shift of his brows, his tail lashing as he considered Hyacinth and her brood in the Outpost.

They had found their own brands of happiness, and somehow he was still alone.

The voice had him glancing up from his thoughts with a rumble – a sound that was both a greeting and a question.

”Bonjour,” He offered with a smile that was slow to grow across his scarred muzzle, ”I do not think we have met.”

His nostrils flared as he scratched at the area around the blood stain, ”I have been finding signs like this for months.” He clicked his teeth, ”It is not usually so close.”

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Maelyx Nocturne

The stranger – yet fellow pack mate – turned honeyed eyes upon her after her greeting, and there did not seem to be any malice towards her there. As an Associate it seemed to be quite normal to be met with disdain and derision, as the Associate had not proven itself to the pack yet. This neutral greeting was quite refreshing, and she felt she could relax some in the man's presence, if not let her guard down completely.

True, we have not, she replied, noting his first word to her. Whilst she did not speech French, the occurrence of French speakers she had met lately seemed to be on the rise. Curious. The witch herself spoke with a heavy South African accent. I am Maelyx Nocturne. She left off the supurfluous 'I am new here' line; all Salsolsans knew who belonged here and who did not, and newcomers did not go unnoticed.

Feeling that she could close in the distance a little, she crossed the few feet she had left between her self and the unfamiliar pack mate, crouching down on the opposite side of the blood stain to get a better look, and to perhaps catch the scent. She narrowed her bright eyes and reached a hand out to graze the grass. It is not all dry yet, she said, rolling her fingers together and feeling the wetness. She had seen fresher kills, but if the blood had not all clotted yet, the predator may still be close. Is it a large cat? Her eyes flicked back to Brocade, cocking her head doggishly as she asked. She had once survived a near fatal mountain lion attack nearly a year ago in Anathema. She was older, stronger, and wiser now, and though she wished she had her twin axes with her, she still felt that she could put up a good fight... maybe if Brocade was in... the question was written in the glinting of her eyes, but did not yet pass her lips.

OOC ✮ 300+

Salsola
The Confidant
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:17 am

Brocade took a moment to gather his thoughts, organizing them into neat little rows that were reminiscent of soldiers arranged for battle. He struggled to put aside the unsettled feeling that lingered in his gut – it told him that danger was near, that his home was in peril. His heart thumped eagerly in his chest at the notion of protecting his home.

It was a feeling that only a warrior would understand, and he wondered how the woman before him fit into the loom of Salsola.

She looked different than the rest of them – with darkly lined eyes and cool-toned clothes that popped against the sand-stone of her fur. He wondered briefly where she was from and what history had followed her to the Thistle Kingdom. Hyacinth would have been one to ask, to delve deep into the threads of the jackals story – but Brocade was committed to other things.

He rumbled softly, the breath catching in his throat as he tasted the air.

”I am Brocade Valentine –“ He realized he had not introduced himself and glanced at her, setting a large foot more firmly in the dirt. He offered a crooked smile, ”It is a pleasure to welcome another Associate into the ranks.” And it was true – the more Associates that the pack had the more they were able to establish their wealth and ensure that their roots took hold deep into their sacred ground.

He grunted at the trail, ”Oui, it is a big cat – larger than any I have ever seen.” He thought of the silver ticked animal and grumbled out, ”He is old, a miracle of his kind. I have seen him only once – but have followed him for months.” He clicked his teeth and glanced at her, ”He is like a ghost – Always just out of sight.”

And it was true. He had seen the thin but muscular animal from a distance, perched against the shallow cliffs along Salsolas torn edges - and the thing had stared at him unflinchingly, the broad golden-rod of his eyes so similar to the man that watched him. Brocade had felt for the animal (for some reason he had been reminded of Itachi) and had decided that for a time he would leave the creature alone. Salvia had pursued him once with Abendrot - and together they had tracked the animal until his scent had disappeared.

They had been safe all of this time - sharing their territory like proper animals.

The Thistle Kingdom was filled with individuals like this - and Brocade wondered for a moment if he truly considered hunting the animal. A part of his respected his time on this planet - the determination that came with surviving winter after winter completely alone. The beast had probably sired a handful of children that would have his same fire, the same need to live that had brought the cat all this way.

Brocade made a sound in his throat as they stood on the cusp of chase.

A lamb bleated for its mother and he felt his eyes warm as the little thing teetered towards its doe-eyed mother.

”With the new lambs I wanted to be careful.” He curled his lips, ”But it appears I may have been too late.”

He ran his finger through the blood, narrowing his expression as it smeared easily across his padded fingers. He had noticed the glint in her eye that had ignited at the mention of the predator – it was a feeling that he knew all too well. He straightened, throwing back his shoulders with another one of his crooked smiles.

"I think he has taken one of the lambs," He touched his armor, smearing the blood across his chest like a promise. "He won't be far."

Hunger brought all monsters out of the dark.

”Come – We can pursue him together.”

He smiled and gestured for the witch to follow him through the forest.

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Maelyx Nocturne

Brocade fell silent for a time as he peered down at the blooded grasses, his expression unreadable, yet Maelyx thought she had some clue as to what he was thinking. This seasoned warrior surely was not afraid of hunting another predator, so the hesitation could not be due to that. His words seemed positively reverential. Perhaps he, like herself, had a certain respect for their symbiosis with the other creatures in the world. It was just a guess, and she could not know the depths of how Brocade felt without him opening up his mouth and telling her, but it was her forerunning theory at the time. He sounds like a wise creature, but killing here, she shook her head solemnly. That was not wise. Perhaps he is ready to be caught. It was just an idea. Though she also speculated inwardly about Brocade, she did not question him. Instead, she waited, and he came out of it soon enough, smearing the gruesome blood over his chest in some silent, personal oath.

And then he lunged into action. The scent of the blood excited the predator within Maelyx, only more so when Brocade was up and on the chase. She spared only another short moment to dip her own fingers into the blood and then grasp her bo staff, the scent of both lamb and predator now fresh on her weapon, easy to propel her forth.

Letting out a series of excited yips, she sprang to her feet and followed him into the forest.

She was not used to the scents here enough to know if anything was out of place, but when they delved into the forest, she could easily discern the scent of the predator's path – that same odor from the field, and the coppery twinge of blood. She carried her staff now, instead of using it like a walking stick, a hunter at the ready.

Is this is usual path? she asked, voice nearly a whisper as she kept her senses keen.

OOC ❈ WC 300+

Salsola
The Confidant
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 pm

The animal was one that worked its life with careful purpose - Brocade had never been able to pinpoint his location, or track him far enough to find his lair. There were obvious paths that cut through the Darkwood any number of ways, but the Soldier had never been able to discern which one had been the big cats. He had seen signs of the bays horses, of the meandering herds of elk and deer who sometimes took shelter in the Kingdoms coniferous woodland.

The big cat was out of place.

"Perhaps he is." Brocade considered her words with a sad smile.

Maelyx was curious, her large eyes following the direction that Brocade had indicated. She was an interesting woman, with an accent that he did not immediately recognize. Her eyes were bright like the sky, but excited as she followed him along the path. The hunt always started something within predators, and already Brocade could feel his heart quickening in his chest.

Something bleated further afield, and he growled suddenly.

He could see a tail twitching like a rattle snake through the trees and it had him lowering himself automatically to the ground.

Feel free to power play!! :)

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:27 am

Maelyx Nocturne

Brocade was a step ahead, and saw the twitching tail before her eyes caught it a second later, though she did hear the bleat. Instinctively, she dropped down beside Brocade, letting him set the lead for this pursuit and deferring to his judgment as a more senior member of the pack. One hand clutched her staff, the other touched the ground to help her balance.

It is him, she stated the obvious as her hackles prickled, the scent of another predator – one that did not belond – putting her on edge. And it sounds like he may have more prey, she added with a whisper. I can distract him, and you can come from behind. Though it was spoken as a statement, she looked at Brocade for confirmation. It was a common hunting technique shared by most, if not all, pack canines. With her being the distraction would leave Brocade to be the closer... and to handle this in whatever way he saw fit.

With a nod, Maelyx was up again and backtracked a few yards before looping back around. She would come through the brush at the cat from another trajectory, to confuse him. Their advantage (aside from outnumbering the animal) was that the cat was not a pack hunter and may not foresee their strategy. But... if he was this old and this skilled? It remained to be seen...

Noise began to come from the brush, at about 9 o'clock from Brocade. It was Maelyx, purposefully being sloppy and giving away her position just before bursting out of the brush at the cat, swiping her staff at him though missing entirely as he stealthily darted away. The point hadn't been to hit him, anyway, it had been to drive him toward Brocade..

OOC ❈ WC 298

Salsola
The Confidant
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:53 pm

He could see the cat through the trees – and it was something to behold. The creature was grizzled from a life of battles and protecting his territory, his fur patchy and white in places where age had touched him. His eyes were perfectly green, perfectly clear – and as it crouched over the lamb Brocade couldn’t help but lift his lips in a silent snarl. Maelyx was shifting her weight, preparing the staff in her hands as they both assessed the terrain that lay between them.

”Well done.” He gestured with his muzzle, ”You go, I will be right behind you.”

He set his feet and watched as the woman disappeared through the trees, her steps silent against the forest floor.

Brocade waited patiently, crouched – and only when she emerged loudly did he dart through the trees, his teeth bared and claws exposed. The witches noise had startled the animal in the Soldiers direction, and he roared at him – flagging his tail in warning. His jaws would bring death, and he saw the big cat bat at him with his paws as a shrill cry escaped from its mouth.

They fought back and forth, Brocades teeth catching at thin fur and leaving angry red trails in its wake.

Brocade threw himself at the cat, but it slipped away, running through the trees and lashing its tail.

He glanced at Maelyx and grunted before taking off after the animals blood trail. twitching like a rattle snake through the trees and it had him lowering himself automatically to the ground.

Feel free to power play!! :)

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

Dead Topics