From black once more unto the rabbit hole

Joining thread, afternoon, Noxweald borders

POSTED: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 pm

[400+]

Never ending seemed to be the trees in this neck of woods. Mystery smelled the rough winding emanations from the evergreens, as if they too could speak. Maybe they could, and she didn't know. Lucifer told her to be wary here. No one was safe from them. She plucked a stick from the ground and waved it around mildly as she walked on. Towards the borders of the northern pack.

‘Shh!’
“Whu-”
‘Danger! Shut up!’
‘The stick is stupid drop the stick’

“Not now Lu,” she pleaded, holding the stick more loosely in her hand now. “Can you just...leave me, leave me alone?”
‘Alone?’
“Yeah,” she replied. She bent the small limb, taut like a bow.
‘You are never alone,’ he whispered, and the forests lurched with a cold summer breeze in one brisk shudder. The branch hissed sharply, she felt the serpent’s scales sliding between her fingers. She let the branch go suddenly, and it bit her in the mouth with a quick snap. She released a yelping cry, then a low whimper as her ears folded earthward. She threw the stick, and it whistled away into the obscurity of the forest. It was stupid anyway.

She sobbed once, twice, then sniffled. Crowley cooed, ‘Shhh girl, everything is fine. What do you know?’

Mystery touched her face, her voice steadied. “Th-that I'm a girl today,” she replied quietly, a small amount of blood staining two gray fingers. ‘Okay then, Missy, you're at the borderrrrrs!’ Lucifer sang. He began to whistle out a tune. She stopped walking, realizing how far she had come. The evergreen trees shuffled out a sound of approval as she stood in that tiny pocket, that dark shroud of Noxweald. She dared not look into the reaches where shadows sat waiting to snatch her away and devour her insides. Mystery tapped the side of her ratty satchel as her hole-pocked skirt fluttered. It was dirty, but she liked its rose colour. Her shirt was less colourful; a rather neutral gray.

‘Just howl, quit wasting time!’

‘Good luck, dear’

Then she started a call, before it jerked to a halt like a struck machine. Mystery started up again, and her demons joined in. Her voice was shaky, but the three-part sound was strong, aided by the voices others could not hear.
‘Whoo! That is how you do it! You were a bit off though, Crowl—’

‘I will harm you very deeply you massive bellend’

‘I would stomp y—’

“Stop it g-guys,” Mystery cut in, two-hue eyes distant as she set herself down gently in the grass. “Let's j-just...watch.” And they did.
Last edited by Mystery on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 pm

A sharp, almost disjointed howl sounded from the borders, and Felix looked up from where he worked, ears swiveling to point east. He stood and began to jog towards the sound, bemused at who could be standing at their borders now. It was near the dark, deep forest of Noxweald, a place that Felix had taken to in the past couple of months, especially in the cool days of spring and the warmer ones of summer.

Finally, he arrived at the source of the call. It was a slight female coydog, grey and white and dappled with darker colors on her back and face. It was a particular look, and he'd think that she was a pure dog if it weren't for the bushy tail and other tells of her hybrid ancestry. Felix gave her a small smile, still standing tall.

"Well, hello, there," he said amiably, curious eyes probing into the other's own. "You're at the borders of Mistfell Vale. I'm Felix, the Ravenking of this place." He peered closer at the mottled hybrid, blank eyes wide and searching. "And who are you?"

| ###

Mistfell Vale
Ravenking
Sunny
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Big Game Trapper I
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:35 pm

[400+]

Something in that stubborn horizon gave eventually, because a reddish furred man appeared to Mystery, and she blinked a few times as if the sun were getting in the way in the dark forest where the sun did not shine. She stood very quickly, and her hands knotted together, the fleshy parts of her fingers rubbing against one another. It felt familiar, and that was good. “O-oh,” Mystery began in a wispy voice. The wolf’s gaze seemed to tear across her, and she glanced toward him with her eyes of both ice and snow. But the summer heat meant no snow would fall, and those wintry eyes dropped. Her ears were lowered and her tail was a threadbare limp when she spoke again. “I-I...didn't know I w-would be meeting a king,” she told him, taken aback. She took hold of her rose skirt and curtsied as gracefully as she could muster.

She rose again before feeling something cold and coarse brush the outside of her leg. ‘Kings get dethroned’

“Stop," she spat in a hush, perhaps too abruptly. Her face dropped all its gathered luster, like a fogged window, and she looked through Felix momentarily as if he were a ghost. A generously cruel trick of the light. Moments before his eyes had searched Mystery, and still she felt the exposure like heat from a magnifying glass pressing into her. “S-see, sir, I...d-don't really know anymore.” She stood straighter, and the breeze seemed to hit her more directly, but it refused to wash away the burning she felt.

‘Aww poor baby hasn't soul-searched?’ The demon teased. ‘Lucifer, stop talking for a moment you bloody child,’ Crowley hissed mildly. Mystery pinched her wide eyes, and wrenched a scowl into a forced smile as she watched a small branch drag across the ground. Her mouth still stung, and she could still taste blood. “Snakes,” she uttered, her eyes flicked up into the Ravenking’s face. “I m-mean snakes, I'm sc-scared of sticks—I m-mean snakes.” The merle coydog shook her head.

She bit her lip and felt the pink ravines on her hands and wrists with shaking fingers. “My name is Mystery,” she told him. A quick nod. She looked away again, unsure. “I'm l-looking for a safe place, h-here to be exact. A safe place he-here. And...I-I can offer whatever I can to h-help.” The coydog glanced to her left before her gentle gaze straightened again like a rope returning to length. ‘This is boring’ Lucifer whispered. ‘We should just leave right now.’ But Mystery remained, though for many reasons unknown. But she needed to find a safe place. Like Anathema, or not too much like Anathema. Somewhere to hide for good where she could sink away and leave everything that made her scared behind.
Last edited by Mystery on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

The other flustered for a bit before curtsying to Felix. His polite little smile remained; he'd seen a curtsy maybe once before in his life, and the context here was enough to let him know it was a sign of respect. He nodded back to her, waiting for her to say something else - perhaps what she desired from the Vale, or even just her name - but what he heard instead was a sharp, almost angry "stop".

"Oh?" he asked, head cocking a few degrees, wide, unblinking eyes staring deeper at the woman. He didn't think she was looking at him. She looked almost through him, as though there were something on the other side, but the moment didn't last long before she seemed to snap out of it and answer his question. She didn't know anymore. Okay.

He was suddenly glad he hadn't brought Evelyn.

Before Felix could offer anything of use, Mystery suddenly pinched the bridge of her nose, staring at something just beyond Felix, and hissed another word - this time, "snakes". She quickly rectified herself, something that Felix discarded immediately; he knew she wasn't merely discussing her fears.

Finally, he was given a name. "Mystery". Well, that fit well enough - the way that this girl's attention flit from side to side as though there were other people there, and her strange mutterings under her breath all gave enough credence to the "mystery" that stood on their borders. Doubts began to inch their way into his mind. He didn't mind the strange, the odd - he liked it, in fact - but someone who couldn't hold their own in the presence of a leader, when they were asking to be let into their pack? Was she a threat? He couldn't tell.

"Who were you talking to, Mystery?" he asked suddenly, but politely, as though he were asking where she was from or what she thought of the weather.

Mistfell Vale
Ravenking
Sunny
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm

[300+]

The doggish looking girl nearly swallowed a fleshy brick in the form of a tongue, and her fingers began to spasm, independently and rampantly like worms in bright light. “I-I'm s-s-orry?” She stammered, pretending she didn't understand, or know exactly what Felix was talking about. The wind blew, and every leaf in every direction hissed like gurgled whispers into her fallacious ears. They were calling to her. Maybe they were coming. Maybe they were already here now.

The voice slid sideways across her thoughts like a sharp knife.

‘The nerve!’
‘Off with his heeeead!”

“I…” ‘She’ “d-on't” ‘ought’ “under-” ‘to’ “st-stand…” ‘hit youuuuuu!’

They a spoke over one another, which made it difficult for her to concentrate on her sentence. Lucifer struck a closing note in a high, grandiose fashion that made Mystery shiver in the warm blanket of a summer day. Then the airwaves were clear, and the eerie white noise of a sane person settled in for several moments like the seconds before a bomb goes nuclear. A more welcomed voice. ‘Sweetheart,’ it said.

Her eyes went sideways a smidge, and she rubbed the side of her face with an arm.“Y-yes?”

‘Tell him, dear’

And then she looked to the Ravenking, swept away, blank, as if she'd just watched herself die in a mirror. “I w-was t-talking to—” ‘your friiiend’ “—Lucifer.” Then she kind of stood there frigidly, her mouth caught like a busted hinge. Mystery felt herself begin to burn again under a microscope, and the air above her head seemed to push down hard, but she had nowhere to go. She knew no one could see them, but only now it was beginning to sink in. The actualization of it all made her feel light-headed. Her demons, her own personal heathens that stalked the far corners of her mind and sifted through the halls of her lungs.

“I talk...w-with h-him s-sometimes...and another, h-her name is Crowley. They're d-demons that...follow…” her voice was a shell, and her eyes were empty and void of anything remotely dynamic as she stared into a stone at her feet. “me around…” Mystery finished, her mouth moving minutely as the sound of rain drummed her skull. But the wind was still, and there was not a cloud in the sky.
Mystery

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Felix's sudden question drew a shocked response from the girl; she stuttered her way through a mild 'I'm sorry?' before saying she didn't understand. The Ravenking waited for her to finish speaking patiently, head still cocked, eyes still blankly staring at the other. It was almost like she was fighting with something. It was different from the frenetic way he spoke and sang to himself; she seemed like she truly didn't have control.

Finally, she turned away from him completely, talking to someone or something that just wasn't there. Then, with a look of - was that misery? Just detachment? Both? - she turned to him and said that she was talking to Lucifer.

Hmm.

She went on to explain that there were 'demons' that followed her, and spoke to her - one was Lucifer, and the other was Crowley. Hmm indeed. He'd met strange people before, of course, and he himself wasn't exempt. This wasn't enough to strike Mystery from the pool of potential Mistwalkers - how hypocritical that would be, he thought - but now he wished to know more.

"Tell me more about yourself, Mystery," he said, his light smile never changing.

| ###

Mistfell Vale
Ravenking
Sunny
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

[300+]

Mystery wasn't liking this conversation anymore. Not that she liked conversations that included anyone besides the demons and her. Too many questions, and all of them about her. Felix’s smile kept pouring into her eyes, and she kept thinking he knew something she did not. “Me?” She asked, rubbing the side of an arm. “I was an An-Anatheman for a...while, th-then I was with s-some friends. But I...had to g-go I needed s-something else. But if you really want to know about me, I'm sc-scared, all the t-time. I...hate i-it, but…” Her voice dropped in volume, and her eyes took on a strange likeness, focusing on a part of Felix’s face she'd not noticed before. The simple madness of a new muse kept her quiet a little longer. “It's good,” Mystery told him, “to be scared…” Mystery was fidgeting now, with the strap on her satchel, but not aimlessly. She jerked and shifted it as if it were biting her shoulder with a set of teeth. Then something flickered behind Felix, and her stomach felt cold. She turned away from the Ravenking and his kingdom, and all the mystery that it was, and began walking away with an odd, shifty stride. The girl got a few steps, when she stopped herself, hands shaking, then she began leaving again. “I c-can't do th-this I can't—” ‘Stop.’ She listened, and stopped with the dull crunch of dried sticks under her feet. She glanced back at Felix, and slowly walked back over toward him, a little closer this time. “H-hello, a...again,” the hybrid girl greeted awkwardly. It was at this time that a wry grin appeared on her face. It wasn't happy, almost confused. “Scared,” she summed up, frowning slightly, eyes half-lidded.

The coydog stood with her nose twitching at the stronger smell of the man now that she was closer, her light eyes low as she trembled lightly. “S-so...h-how is uh, y-your day so f-far?” She inquired trying to rid herself of the memory of almost leaving when she'd come this far. Maybe she was curious to know about him, anything for that matter. ‘He doesn't care!’
Mystery

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm

The other seemed startled at the question, and Felix cocked his head. It shouldn't have been a surprising question - if she wanted to join the Vale, she should have anticipated that he'd want to know more about her. Her skills, her personality, and her talents would all be taken into account to see if she'd be a good fit for them, and them for her. He wouldn't allow someone so unstable to join if he thought she could be dangerous. He wanted to give her a chance, but thus far, she was not inspiring confidence in him on that front.

She began to answer his questions. The name "Anathema" caused Felix's ear to flick back once, but he quickly composed himself once again. The dark pack hadn't been known for loyal canines of a moral high-ground, to say the least - they fostered criminals, murderers, rapists, traitors. Was Mystery one of them? Before he had time to entertain that thought further, she said that she was scared. Her tone got far away, eyes distant, and she repeated it, saying that it was... good. To be scared.

The Ravenking opened his mouth to reply that no, he didn't think it was very good to be scared, when Mystery began to fidget and stared, wide-eyed, at something over Felix's shoulder. Before he could say anything, she turned away and started to leave; she walked jerkily, uncannily, and while he still observed with blankly curious eyes, the sight may have deeply disturbed another.

Suddenly, she stopped, muttered something, and turned her wild eyes back towards Felix, stepping closer to him than before. He drew himself tall and perked his ears forward, a mark of dominance, and shifted his weight. He kept his relaxed countenance, but tensed his muscles, preparing to fight back if she sprung at him.

Instead, she grinned up at him with strange half-lidded eyes, said "scared", and... asked how his day was.

"Mystery," he said, muscles still tensed, and tone gentle yet tense, as though he were dealing with an explosive. "Mystery, Mystery, Mystery. You are a mystery. I don't know if I can let you stay," he said, tone morose. "Would you scare my family? Would you hurt them? If the demons told you to, would you? And then - would you walk away? Do you even know, Mystery?" After all, she struck him as someone unaware, unaware of the world and how it worked, and unaware of how she could affect others.

"I'm afraid I simply can't trust you."

Mistfell Vale
Ravenking
Sunny
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

POSTED: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 pm

[400+]

Then came the recurring theme. The mystery that was her, the mystery that was them. She didn't fully understand what she needed, but the feeling of needing a safe space never went away. It was as constant as the sky remaining above, and sometimes in that sky she imagined things watched, always watched. It was only when the safety of those the Ravenking cared about fell into question, did the coydog feel something different than paranoia. Her face matched the desolation of a falling star, her eyes hazy. “I…” her voice kicked painfully into silence, “I d-didn't...um...I didn't r-realize…” she felt a heaviness in her chest, but no tears came. “Th-that I c-could be dangerous. I n-never thought about m-myself that w-way before.” For the first time she woke up to the possibility that she was the vessel rather than the sea. She wasn't Mystery, she was Lucifer and Crowley, and Mystery was just being dragged along. The girl sat down, choking down a bitter thought that was crashing over inside all at once. Every day she thought she understood, and every day something new pushed into the picture to remind her of the name she'd given herself. Mystery placed a two-toned head in jittery hands.

“My name is Mystery,” she repeated quietly, as if to confirm for herself, “I have d-demons, but th-they...are s-supposed to b-be m-mine.” They were chained up inside her head for reasons she didn't know, but it was her job not to let them out. A wildcard, but the role of gatekeeper could not be questioned. A small slice of hell lurked in her head.

At this thought her spine twisted to one side. She ran trembling fingers through her hair, leaving small ripples behind in the strands.“I g-guess I'm a g-gamble for y-you…” She blinked slowly, Lucifer made some crude remark and she frowned. The merle hybrid didn't want to be just some variable that changed from day to day—something others felt difficulty in fitting into their lives. But that's what she was then to Felix, the king of Mistfell Vale.

A few moments passed, and she decided to add the word, “Th-them,” into the air. She clarified: “you c-can't trust th-them, but m-me...you c-can trust me…”

‘Rude to say’

‘But fair to say’ Crowley’s voice added.

‘Girl should keep ‘er mouth shut’

‘My minimal respect for you is depleting, Lu’
Last edited by Mystery on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:22 pm

When the girl stuttered that she'd never thought she could be dangerous before, Felix let out a light hum. That was a plus, at least - many of the canines he'd met who'd thought to cause trouble considered themselves very dangerous indeed,and often flaunted the fact to Felix's annoyance. Then again, did Mystery simply not remember when she did something that hurt another? It was hard to tell - but her waifish appearance did make him think it'd be hard for her to hurt another, at least.

Can't trust them, but could trust her? That doesn't make sense, Felix thought idly, cocking his head. They were a part of her, were her, as she made them in her mind, and no other could see them. So she was saying that parts of her could be trusted, and other parts couldn't. Troubling. And yet - a small nugget of idealism clung to him in his mind. Perhaps he didn't have to make such a black-and-white decision.

"I'll tell you what, Mystery," he said. "You can stay - but under some conditions." He tapped his chin with his finger, staring off into the distance for a brief moment before focusing his eyes back on the dappled woman. "You'll stay on the outskirts of the territory, places I can keep an eye on you. You won't hurt my members, and you won't scare them - if you do, I won't let you stay."

"You have to prove that you can be trusted, and that you have something to offer this pack. Okay?" His cold voice warmed at the end, brilliant eyes staring into Mystery's.

| ###

Mistfell Vale
Ravenking
Sunny
now dissolve me,
two tabs on your tongue
reality doesn't change

Dead Topics