Can't be sure when they've hit their mark

O'Riley

POSTED: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Optime | Ediling Ravine | Fore-dated: June 5th | NPC: Cedar (+469)

Trying a new place!

Things had felt…different after her parents had departed from the Kingdom. The constants she had had in her life growing up, they appeared to be dwindling one by one. Her twin brother had mysteriously disappeared after showing some distress about her betrothal. And, with his absence, her parents had become worried enough to discuss the notion of moving to Portland in an effort to expand the family’s likelihood of catching possible rumors of the Kaiser son’s whereabouts. Kamari had agreed wholeheartedly, though, after living in an empty house, some part of her had selfishly wished that they had stayed instead.

She had done her best to remain indifferent about it though, chalking it up to her simply getting used to the change. The Shield Apprentice had let herself be consumed with her usual duties and activities to help her ignore the empty feeling. If she was to continue to serve the Kingdom in the way she was best fit for, after all, she needed to be in control of the masks that she wore.

When it was midday, Kamari had taken Cedar out for a ride, wanting to continue building the bond between them. She had moved them parallel to the Kingdom’s eastern borders, the ones that faced out towards the open plains of Drifter Bay. Initially, the trek had been one to simply help familiarize the horse with the Kingdom’s borders. However, as they moved steadily northward, an idea had come to the Sapienza’s mind.

Kamari steered her stallion onto a different path than their usual patrol route, leading the pair of them down along the edge of the Pictou River. Along this, they followed until they came across a split in the river, which turned into a shallow stream, which eventually led them down and before a great divide in the earth; the Ediling Ravine. The build of the walls on either side was gradual, but, when they finally grew so high that the crevice below was doused in perpetual shade, Kamari brought Cedar to a halt.

The sound of the steady, babbling stream as it crawled across the pebbled earth echoed there; a soothing white noise that was broken by the occasional warble of a passing songbird. Moss and other vines climbed up the moist walls, creating a carpet of green to cover the otherwise bland rock walls. The air was cooler there, a refreshing difference to the growing heat of the summer day.

Staring down the jagged path, Kamari was eager to see how Cedar’s next test would work. The man her father had traded him from had promised many things of the mustang’s training. She patted the stallion’s neck in a comforting manner. “Think you can make it to the end of this thing, boy?”

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Mate to Krios Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:47 pm

He left his cousin at the river when fishing had become napping, and stretched his legs on a long stroll that became aimless the longer he went. With the sun high above most folk would be taking respite, waiting for the heat to pass. O'Riley favored the cooler forest, and even here made choices which took him to lower ground.

In some places mosquitoes and irritating gnats rose from murk that had once been running water. He moved away from here and towards the places where the water began to properly flow. It was not a proper route downward that he took, but O'Riley had been climbing mountains for a long time and placed his feet well enough to find a safe way down. The itchy part of his leg prickled as he landed, but the cool water disturbed by his noisy arrival replaced this sensation at once. He curled his toes over the smooth pebbles and silt and sucked in the damp air.

This place smelled wonderful and spoke of the coming summer despite the drop in temperature which made the ravine a prime location for the emerald-green moss and leaves and vines. There was another scent here, though, and O'Riley followed it with great enthusiasm.

With a quickness in his step, the wolfdog trotted after the horse and rider.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:10 am

NPC: Cedar (+446)

She urged the stallion forward, and Cedar heeded her with little hesitation. His gait was slow and gradual, his footsteps audible as his hooves moved over pebble, silt, and shallow stream water alike. From the looks of things, the mustang didn’t seem to care about the environment she was forcing them to traverse, didn’t seem to care about the walls that surrounded them, nor the water that he occasionally waded through. He seemed content to just walk on.

It was a promising sign, and one that pleased Kamari greatly. Cedar’s willingness to keep going spoke well of the training her father had rumored him to have, of his personality, and value the horse might have for her one day. It was one less worry that the jackal hybrid would have if she were ever deployed. Her horse, she could trust, would go just about anywhere she coaxed him to.

They hadn’t gotten far when a pair of heavy footsteps sounded behind them. Both horse and rider’s ears flickered towards the sound, and, Kamari gently pulled on Cedar’s reins to halt him. She twisted in her saddle, cornflower blue eyes sweeping over the ravine’s ground level for whoever might have been trailing after them. At the familiar, tri-colored pelt of O’Riley, Kamari’s initial defensive tension dissipated. “Erilaz!” She greeted with a smile, turning Cedar a bit so the horse could see the approaching behemoth that was the Eternity in his Secui form.

Her mount turned his head towards the Informatore, his dark eyes trying to make heads or tails of the unfamiliar Luperci. Cedar let out a snort, pivoting a little more so that he faced the male more head on rather than exposing his side in its entirety to the large predator. Kamari reached down to pat his muscled neck once more, trying to reassure the horse that O’Riley meant them no harm. “What brings you down here?”

After a beat, Kamari thought to add, “Oh! Have you seen my new horse yet? My Vati got him for me when he came back from Portland last month. With Cedar, I should be able to go further out of the Kingdom.” It was clear from her body language and tone that she was trying to hide how excited she was to inform the Eternity this. Having the mount meant that she would no longer have to rely on O’Riley to provide one for her to use like he had on their previous missions together outside of the pack’s territory. Inferni, Cour des Miracles. She would be independent, useful rather than a burden to bear.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello, Apprentice, he called back. His mouth lingered in a half-open grin, cooling himself as much as it expressed his secret delight with her position.

It was a bit more selfish than proper friendship might allow, though he considered her to be among these few. What made this truly remarkable was that Kamari bore no common blood to his own, and indeed had been forged of lesser things. She had risen above her parents, her now absentee-brother, and done this largely because ambition had driven such movement.

The strong survived here. For as long as O'Riley had lived, he understood that the true nature of the world was one judged by such measures. Lokr had been weak, in the end, and chosen to betray his oaths. Inferni had been weak, for thinking they might raise arms against the Thistle Kingdom. Every single person who forgot their place in the world suffered because of such hubris.

O'Riley, of all people, could stand more humility in his life – but instead, he saw little consequence.

His storm-cloud colored eyes traced the shape of her horse, noting its sturdy body and primitive colors, and at a glance thought it a decent mount. He was not as experienced in these things, and with his aunt and Oma now gone, his knowledge fell heavily on what they had left behind. Still, despite no longer being small enough to ride them, O'Riley knew the difference between a good and bad horse.

He was surprised to hear her father had acquired the animal, and wondered what it had cost. Luckily, he was distracted by Kamari's talk of travel and did not think to ask her.

My paws brought me here, he told her with a curling smile. It waned as he looked over Cedar again (O'Riley looked both wistful and annoyed, thinking of what he could no longer do) and went on. How far are you looking to go, Kamari?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm

NPC: Cedar (+439)

He didn’t comment on the stallion despite his lilac eyes appraising it silently, and, like the growing teenager that she was, she felt a bit of embarrassment rise up in her for her poorly-contained excitement in bringing it up. She should have been cool, calm, collected, in control of her feelings and outward emotions as she was when she donned the persona of “Birch.” Perhaps it was his way of reminding her of this—he was the more experienced of the two of them in their shared field of interest, after all—perhaps he simply had nothing to remark. Either way, Kamari went along easily with their shift in conversation.

The Eternity’s smart remark caused her to grin widely at him in return, entertained by it and the warm feeling of familiarity, something she sorely missed with her family’s very noticeable absence as of late. She had the mind to tell the Erilaz thus—that he was a smartass—but thought better of it as it came to the tip of her tongue, unsure if it would be appropriate to speak so crassly with her superior in more ways than one. If it had been her betrothed, for example, she would have let him have it. Though, it would have been accompanied with an insult rather than merely a tease between friends.

To his question, Kamari let her eyes shift further down the ravine and its high walls. “As far as I can on Cedar,” she replied, turning her gaze back upon him, “I want to see how well he does so I know what to expect when outside the Kingdom. That and—” The Kaiser shrugged nonchalantly. “—I’ve never been this far down here.”

When she had finally been of age to wander outside her father’s sight and the Kingdom no longer at war with a traitorous ally, the area had grown cold with winter, and her father had forbidden her to venture down into the ravine for her own safety. Now, with her paternal figure gone and the Kingdom not under threat, Kamari was free to do as she pleased; and exploring was one of her greatest passions.

“What plans do you have for coming down here, O’Riley?” She asked, curious and smirking at him.

Beneath her, the horse had decided to accept that the large Secui was of no threat…for now at least. With their familial tones with one another, Cedar seemed to understand as much. His judging gaze left the Eternity to look back in the direction of his rider’s original heading before they had been disturbed.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Perhaps, outside of Salsola – when they became other people, when they pretended – he would have badgered her into mouthing off. At his core he still sought to see how people behaved when pressed too far. Now that he was untouchable (an illusion he had long held in his heart) O'Riley observed only the Law as it pertained to him now.

How long have you had him? O'Riley finally asked, as if her answer had prompted his curiosity. It had been a long time since he had been able to ride, it seemed, and he was envious of how her small frame fit atop the sturdy horse.

This was fine. He would make do. Besides, he was growing to like the feeling of the earth between his paws, and how certain he was of the way this was strengthening his endurance. It was hard, sometimes, carrying all the weight around but now that he came to frequent this shape the distance he could manage was growing.

It's cool down here, he answered. The dim, damp place did keep the heat away, but from the way his dark head turned, O'Riley seemed to be admiring the scenery for its appearance alone. Eventually it turned and fell back to the young woman. Feel like some company?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 pm

NPCs: Cedar (+368)

His question caused her pause a moment to consider the timeline of things and where her father’s arrival with the horse had come in in relation to it all. “A little over a month, I would say. Vati returned from one of his Portland trading expeditions a week or two before you became Erilaz.” It was probably best that he had too, for, leaving with Salvia as the Kingdom’s Boss and then returning with Elphaba seated in her place would have been a lot to explain. It was of no matter now though. Where he and her mother had gone now, they would serve beneath the Governor, Blair, one of O’Riley’s mothers, not Salvia or Elphaba.

She leaned over and patted the beast’s muscled neck. So far, the word of the man my father got him from has proven true.” Whether the horse would perform as promised out the field had yet to be seen, however. With any luck though, Cedar’s actions wouldn’t put her in a tight spot.

While she didn’t think much of it, Kamari accepted his reply. With his more wolfish coat, the cool temperatures of the ravine probably did feel like a welcomed reprieve from the hot, summer sun. Her specialization wanted to believe that there was an untold reason, however, with little to go on, such assumptions could not be made soundly.

Her eyes widened by a hair at his question to join her down the length of the ravine. She let her cornflower blue eyes briefly look at what lied ahead of them, perhaps to gauge how long they might be traversing together, perhaps merely in response to O’Riley’s own casual glance about the world around them. “If you have nothing more important to do,” she allowed with a humor-filled smile and nod.

Kamari applied pressure against Cedar’s sides, coaxing the stallion into resuming their journey down the winding pathway. The pace was slow and easy, enough to enjoy the scenery and the cooler temperatures. It was after a little bit that the jackal spoke again, her voice casually polite, though, with an undertone of curiosity. Wie ist das Erilaz?”

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm

The political climate of Salsola had circled around the two households which continued to lead it, as it had since inception, and O'Riley found it far more suitable for blood-kin to be in control of their large trade operation. He understood that another had led the place before his mother, but his previous visit had reassured him that Blair had revitalized the place. She was more personable than Oma in a way that reminded him of Elphaba, but he saw none of the terror in the others there that their new Boss commanded – his mother seemed very well-regarded.

Both of them were, he supposed. He didn't like the way his grandmother ever-so-casually excluded him, but Reykja had never told him no.

Few people did.

New, he answered her in that mountain-tongue. I have much more to take care of now. This much was true. He had inherited a collection of information that had led to many days of study. Some things he wrote again, in his own hand, and carefully hid (and later destroyed) the originals.

It had happened so quickly that what he had been doing all along went unnoticed and unchecked. Such was the way of progress.

I want us to keep working together, Kamari, he said plainly, though neither his voice nor his pace increased. O'Riley was watching her as they traversed the waterway. It was not a constant thing, but apparent. It's important that I know what's happening so that we all stay safe. You're good at what you do. We work well together, he flashed her a casual smile with this comment. You'll be able to go much further now, I think.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:25 pm

NPC: Cedar (+389)

Sorry for the wait! @____@

He switched languages just as quickly and easily as she had. It was good practice, to be able to stay on their toes and be able to smoothly transition at the slightest change. It was what would make them better at their work, make them less likely to trip up for faulter when they were out in the field on a mission. There was a reason why she had followed along the same path as he, why she had looked up to and respected his judgment.

“Nothing more than you can handle, I’m sure,” she commented confidently. He had helped her sneak all the way to Inferni’s borders, had gotten their group behind enemy lines and razed their home, had coordinated their trip south to scout out Cour des Miracles. Kamari had not doubt in the new Erilaz’s ability to take on the added workload he might have with running the Kingdom. Otherwise, he and Elphaba wouldn’t have planned to try and take the throne from their grandmother. He always seemed to have things thought through, planned out, organized. Surely, he had to have known what he was getting into before he struck.

Kamari’s large ears flickered at what he had to say next, and she couldn’t stop herself from giving the Secui male a sidelong glance. Even in his new rank, the Informatore wanted to continue what the relationship they had. As the second-in-command, there would be greater risks if and when he left the Kingdom now, even more so if he were to go on missions, particularly infiltration ones. She, by comparison, was of lesser importance, and her mixed blood would have made her easily passable as part coyote to any that had never seen the small canines of the East.

“You can count on me, Erilaz.”

His compliment was reassuring that he thought well of her skills, and her smile towards him showed her acceptance and gratitude to the consideration.

Cedar’s hooves shifting in the pebbled terrain or across the shallow streams of water echoed off of the high walls, mixing with the drone of running water and birdsong from high above. Her words were low, taking advantage of the ambient noise, and her eyes were set on the path before them. “Where do you need eyes?”

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm

I've heard, he drawled lazily. That there's something happening with the Bay – land where it wasn't before, apparently, O'Riley said this was only mild disbelief. The foundation of a new pack between Salsola and the easiest road towards their Outpost had made the regular routes divert, and in doing so they had less reason to follow the shoreline. If there was something to be found, it would be in the no-man's land in that dead space between.

See where it goes, if it's there. I'm sure if that's the case they'll be Others around. Maybe they'll be friendly, eh? O'Riley chuckled. He very obviously thought poorly of Outsiders. Whether he meant this in a direct or sarcastic manner was harder to read, though he did not linger on the thought long.

Disturbed by their crossing, silt turned the water cloudy. The palest parts of O'Riley's fur were cleaner than his paws, which remained off-colored even as they continued to follow the winding stream. Something buzzed by his ear, which flicked to chase it away.

The question O'Riley asked Kamari next was decidedly careful when it came to tone – as if he did not know yet how she felt on the matter, and was making an attempt to spare hurting her feelings.

Have you heard from your brother at all?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

Dead Topics