Didn't know what I was missing

AW | Wabanaki Coast

POSTED: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Jonah and Marla had been gone for some time, though there was nothing unusual about this. Krokar was a place where exploration was encouraged and trade excursions were regularly conducted. Though many within the pack chose to remain close to home, there were some who enjoyed the freedom of traveling the territories of Nova Scotia while still having a place of stability and security to which they could always return.

If it weren't for his status as the pack's Quartermaster, Milos was one of those who could easily spend his life within the carefully patrolled borders of Krokar. But his role was such that he felt it necessary to depart from the pack from time to time, if not to hunt or to forage or to scavenge, then to meet with members from other packs to strengthen relations or discuss future trades. As it was, he thought that he could stand to do this more often and particularly to those packs on the peninsula. But travel to Casa di Cavalieri and Cour des Miracles was long and not without risks. With his youngest litter still largely dependent on them, it was this that gave him pause.

So when Jonah returned with stories of some new land bridge that seemed to have cropped up to the southern shoreline of Wabanaki Coast, Milos was distinctly curious. "Mind bringin' me down there, Jonah?" he had asked. "When you're rested good enough?"

"'Course! Like t' see it agin m'self."

Jonah only wanted a couple of days but Milos insisted on a little longer, if not to give the former sailor some time to recover than at least for the Quartermaster to pack and plan a bit better. So, five days after Jonah's return, the pair departed on their own two legs and headed southeast across Miramichi Wilderness and down through Wabanaki Coast.

Their pace was slow and steady but, after several long days of travel, the salty smell of the sea began to grow ever stronger. Before long, they could hear the waves crashing against the broken shoreline and, out ahead, the stony surface of land across the sea. "This is it!" Jonah said, pointing out ahead of them with his head turned to Milos.

"Well, I'll be," Milos murmured, sunny eyes staring out in awe at the landbridge before them.

OOC: This takes place at the edge of where Fundy Crossing begins. Milos and Jonah are just checking things out. Come meet them and maybe tell them a little about this new land bridge?

[WC — 393]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 am

The merchant nearly jumped out of his skin at the sudden sound of voices that he happened to hear over the waves that rolled against this new shore. They were likely in the market to get a look at the land that had risen from the sea, just as Ezra had been when he had heard mention of it. Well, he'd never been around the area on his own, so it was a bit out of the way, but he managed to get the cart close enough to be able to see it from the water. Others, not so much, as it was guarded from direct side from another angle by growth. That didn't mean he should leave it without care.

Popping up from his seat in the sand, it seemed he'd grown like a daisy from a large boulder he'd unintentionally sat behind,” It is something, isn't it?” With the brackish air and the wind from the ocean, Ezra couldn't test the air to see from where this stranger was from, or strangers rather, but it wasn't as if he could slip out of there if he wanted to. Might as well make the best of it and potentially make a new ally,” It's like the ocean parted just for the sake of it.”

Clapping the sand from his palms, closing a bit of the space between them. He gave the man his space, but now that he was nearer, Ezra's eyes lit up like the sun,” Are you from Krokar, friends?” He smiled and chose to get just a bit nearer,” Ezra Vahn. Merchant. I've visited the place for trade several times,” Laying his hand out, he offered it to whichever of the men had more of a desire to shake it,” A beautiful home that place is. You've traveled a long way!”
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:40 am

He watched the waters dance around the stones that stretched out across the sea. "Goes th' whole way across, ya said?"

"Aye, but it ain't a nice trek," Jonah said. "It's real rocky and uneven, and when th' tide comes in..." He lifted his arms, palms up, and pursed his lips downwards. "Th' thing vanishes."

Milos thought about Walker and the tricks he played with his cards. But this was different and both of them knew it. Tides, mysterious as they were, were just something that happened. It meant the waters rose or lowered; there was no magic or otherworldly sorcery at play there.

"Marla an' me got lucky. We could already see the shore on th' other side before th' tides came in. Got stuck for quite some time there, though."

"An' it ends 'round where Casa di Cavalieri'n th' Court lie?"

Jonah nodded, his hands on his hips. Then a figure rising from the boulders caught his eye and he turned his head sharply. The voice that joined it alerted Milos and he, too, watched as the Luperci closed the distance between them.

There was something familiar about the man, though the Quartermaster couldn't quite place it. "Sure is," he replied amiably, characteristic smile on his face.

A veteran now of handshakes and formal greetings, Milos shook the merchant's hand without caution. His eyes brightened with the realization of who he was. "A'course!" he barked, giving his tail a wag. "Thought I recognized ya, but I weren't sure. Milos Parhelion, Quartermaster." His smile grew. "This's Jonah Leomaris."

Offering his own hand to shake, the Riparian took a step forward. "Good t' meetcha."

"Reckon so! Th' trip was lengthy, but I had t' see this for m'self," Milos explained, casting his eyes to the land bridge once more. Then he glanced at Ezra again. "Have ya been across it yourself, Ezra?"

OOC: Yay! Thank you for joining! <3

[WC — 321]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:25 pm

“A grand thing to meet you, my friends!” he was delighted with the warm welcome. After all, he had appeared suddenly and it leaned into his good fortune that they would be from Krokar,” How is your home doing since I've left? Has spring treated you fairly?” The poet questioned lightly, to ensure that there wasn't anything that he could do for his friends in Krokar, the kind folk they were. Shaking Jonah's hand when he came, he offered the man a grin just the same as Milos.

The Quartermaster spoke of the trip, but it didn't surprise the poet to know that it was a long one. Ezra had made it himself plenty of times, but with a cart, it usually took near five days if he were to stop for camps here and there. To Milos' question, the dogman shook his head,” I've not. Not yet, that is. The shore beneath the waters is littered with stones. A horse might cross it, but a cart? I wouldn't risk the wagon parts.”

Turning back to the land bridge, he minded the Krokaren's by keeping himself half faced to them. His eyes slipped down the expanse of lake bed,” I've thought to clear it for easier travel, but the chore would be much larger than I'd be able to handle. If I had a place to store my goods that was near, Fantasy and I might take a chance at it. Perhaps Mistfell Vale, the Cavaliers and the Court might take the idea to mind? I'd certainly offer my services freely, if I they thought to work it as well,” Marbled gaze reached Milos again, chuckling,” Having this bridge cleared to travel it before tide came in would do my business a great deal of good.”

“I am just one man,” Arms placed on his waist, he faced his friends completely,” If they chose to do it? Well, I'd help, certainly. I wouldn't dare propose the idea, however. It's not my place,” It would be strictly in his own interest, rather than in all of theirs. Sure, it'd be clear for the lot of them, but Ezra knew he was going to make more good on clearing it than others. It was his purpose as a Merchant to do so. Not only that, all of his efforts should be aimed at Fiora, even though he found himself looking less and less as of late.
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Milos watched the leggy man approach, nodding pleasantly. "Reckon it has," he confirmed jovially. In past years, spring had brought with it flooding, disasters, and revenge, but this year had proven itself merciful. "Hope th' same can be said for you."

Swinging is head back around to the stony landbridge, both Krokarans considered Ezra's words thoughtfully. "Seems a ferry or such would be better," Jonah offered with a shrug. A former sailor, water was merely another avenue for transportation as far as he was concerned.

"Might be," Milos mused, looking back at Ezra with a knowing nod. "Right 'bout them carts, though. En't like t' get far without somethin' breakin' down." Though he had no experience repairing such things, he understood that it was no small task to fix a wheel or axle. Better not to risk it.

Of Ezra's idea to clear the landbridge for easier travel, neither Krokaran had ever considered something of that nature. Jonah grunted thoughtfully and Milos tapped his chin with an index finger. Both men looked upon the stony passageway. "Think that'd work?" he asked hopefully, lifting his sunny eyes to the feathered loner.

"I dunno," Jonah answered with less optimism. "Probably rocks all the way down. Could be clearin' stones straight down to the seabed." But there was no way of knowing, not unless they tried. The ex-sailor shrugged. "A ferry would be easier."

Milos chuckled gently. "'Course you'd think so," he replied with a wink and the younger man offered the Quartermaster another, hopeless shrug back. He looked back at Ezra. "Reckon it wouldn't hurt t' take a closer look, though, see what's beneath them rocks." Judging by the appearance of those boulders, however, it didn't seem terribly promising.

"How's trade going for ya, Ezra?" Milos asked, tipping his nose to the wagon.

[WC — 311]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Milos question of Ezra's wellness was met with a strong dip of his muzzle. Fiora wasn't here, so he knew he'd never be well without her, but for now he was well enough. Well, he was alive and that's all that he needed to keep looking for her. Even despite the loneliest nights he knew as long as he had his health and his life, he could keep looking. The mention of a ferry, though, brought a lift to his brow,” That does seem like a more able transport,” Returning to Milos, he nodded his head,” Though even a ferry would run risk of sinking with a two-horse cart. I'd be stuck, but that doesn't mean it's a poor idea for travelers,” A chuckle escaped him. It looked like there was just no going through the strait as it stood.

Following their gaze to the rocks, Ezra took a deep breath,” It's hard to say. There must be earth or sand under there somewhere. The only question would be how far down you had to work to get to it,” Jonah chimed in with the idea of his ferry again. Milos toyed with his friend and Ezra couldn't help but smile in suit,” You do have a point, though, don't you?” A ferry would be a lot easier, and Ezra being a seafaring soul in his old life, he couldn't deny the argument.

“Trade goes well for me, my friends,” He couldn't help but let his grin grow with Milos' concern. It was rare to find such warm hearts out here that, but Milos could be counted well as one of them,” Paper is in as high a demand as ever,” A chuckle followed through. As the seasons changed, less and less of the paper from the old settlements could be salvaged and it's quality was failing. He'd found a market that was going to work for him for life. He thought for a moment about settling down again, perhaps building another mill. The image of a dark corner where Fiora should stand in his short-lived future thought ended the idea then and there,” Amherst has been kind to me, though it is a bit difficult to do alone, I am managing well.”
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:40 pm

While Jonah folded his arms defiantly over his broad chest and glanced away, eyes on the still loch, Milos offered the merchant a knowing nod and a gentle laugh. "Reckon that'd be somethin' of a disaster, sure 'nuff," he agreed, thinking that the loss of animal and cart would truly be a terrible thing for many folk. Even if he wasn't directly attached to the property, the wolfdog was sure to feel a sense of sympathy and sadness if word of such a tragedy were to reach his ears.

But wasn't the hope of a shorter, more efficient trip be worth the risk?

As the discussion shifted to trade and Ezra's own life as a loner, Jonah relaxed his arms and Milos watched the feathered dog brightly. "Glad t' hear it!" he chirped, falling silent again as the loner talked of paper. Internally, out of habit as the pack's Quartermaster, he considered what they had for paper products. Such a materials wasn't used too often in Krokar, though he knew that, for their record books and historical tomes, it was necessary. He kept this in mind. "Reckon we'll be in th' market for such things sooner'r later." Not now, but eventually.

"Ever thought'a settlin' down?" Milos asked, remembering how difficult his own life as a loner had been. "Know Krokar'd welcome ya with open arms, if nobody else would." He smiled. There had always been something about the piebald dog that he had liked – whether it was the man's friendliness or optimism or trade qualities – and having the man within their ranks would be agreeable to him. Though, he also understood that pack life wasn't for everyone. "But you're always welcome back t' offer trade if nothin' else," he added with a chuckle.

[WC — 306]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 pm

“Truly,” Ezra replied in kind. If he lost his cart? Well, Bygul would be furious with him, but thankful at the same time. No more trading meant always searching for Fiora, nonstop. The pallid cat often forgot that eating needed to come in between searching ventures; Unless his little stomach growled and set the cat straight. It was something that the merchant wasn't willing to overthink. Cross that landbridge, when it comes.

Milos was delighted to hear the news of his fortunate ventures, and even offered the potential of a future trade down the line,” Were it only one place I could visit, it would always be Krokar,” The kind poet stated, but it was no simple bluff that he would tell all his customers. No, it was truth. Their kindness? Unending! Their concern for his well being? Relentless. The Krokar people were serene, as far as Ezra knew them to be, and the calming lands were everything he ever needed. Yet, as Milos made mention of perhaps taking residence there, there was a shift in Ezra's features. A lowering of his shoulders. A sadness taking over the warmth in his eyes despite his grin.

“Please, take me in no wrong way when I say, Milos, Jonah, I have done a great deal of considering and between Krokar and the Court; my friends from Vinatta that have been split between them and the history we shared with your people, had I the chance I would,” Fingertips came to his heart and traced the edged of the worn Frithr that decorated the center of his breast,” I have to... find someone, first,” A deeper breath came from the words, but he wouldn't dance around them any more. Milos didn't need to have his first viewing, or so Ezra assumed his first viewing, of the new land bridge sullied by his sorrows,” Either way, you are sure to see me in Krokar, again,” A brighter tone gripped him, airy, but warm,” I've discovered a few new things that your people might find interested, but I offer nothing other than my perfection. I've a little more work with a few new skills, but I believe it will all turn out well.”
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:29 am

There was a perceptible change in Ezra's expression and posture when Milos asked him about settling down. His smile faded and Milos had the impression that he had said something he shouldn't have. Before he could apologize, it was Ezra who spoke first and both Krokarans listened without judgement. The feathered loner lifted a hand and Milos watched as his lithe fingers traced the hammer-like shape of the pendant that hung there. He nodded. "A'course, Ezra," he said gently. "En't no wrong taken, m' friend."

He couldn't imagine the decision that Ezra was being faced with, and Milos hoped that he would never find himself in a similar situation.

But when the kindly merchant spoke again, Milos felt his heart drop. "Sorry t' hear that, Ezra," he said, a fresh understanding of why Ezra chose to remain a loner settling within his mind. "Be glad t' ask that Krokar keeps a look-out for ya. Who're ya lookin' for?"

Milos offered his tail a lazy wag when Ezra's tone brightened and the conversation shifted away from the man's loss. "That so?" he asked, smiling again. "Be glad t' know what it is you've discovered, if you're of a mind t' have it known." Milos gave Ezra a jovial wink.

OOC: We could maybe start wrapping this up? c:

[WC — 220]

Krokar
Captain
Mandi

POSTED: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:51 am

[[Sure thing :3]]

With Milos' offer, there was a little more pep, an urgency to his tone that hadn't been kept while he spoke somberly before,” Her name is Fiora vin Vahn, but I know her to have family with the name of Haki or Soul,” He explained. Lifting his frithr, he allowed Milos to inspect it,” I know her to wear this, and a sapphire-like gemstone butterfly,” Gesticulations danced around him as he sought to explain it best between them,” A shy thing... A wolfdog, with long black hair and the bluest eyes you'd ever seen,” He trailed off. She was probably terrified wherever she was. He wouldn't have a doubt in his mind that she was looking for him too,” If you see her...” He nodded, calming his heart as his words started to rush just thinking of the possibility that Milos and Jonah might have seen her or know where to find her.

With the shift in conversation, Ezra's lighter mood altered a bit. He was reminded how he would paint on the pages that didn't match his quality when the mill was still upright,” It's true,” A strong nod toyed with the ebon locks that danced around his features. Milos' wink made the secret all the more difficult to give up, but Ezra was just strong enough to get the idea out there for a quicker witted soul.

“Well, you know of my pages, but when it comes to using them, there is always something else needed,” He started, vague with intention and a slight half-grin peeking through the corner of his maw,” Well, I have the mind to remedy that, soon,” In light of paper being a hit, there didn't seem a better reason to improve upon his best sold stock. It certainly wasn't a new invention, and it wouldn't be something that one could not do with the proper knowledge, but the same could be said about pages. There was need and want, and this new item would be a bit of a need, but more of a want for those that are more inclined to write, draw or paint.

"Though, I will leave it at that," Clapping his hands lightly, he folded his fingers within the spaces between them," I really must be going, Amherst's traders always have something I seem to need," A chuckle rested in his chest. He really did want to spend more time with them, but he'd have to save freetime for days when he might have it. He'd already used up a large portion of the day inspecting the land bridge," I'd hate to lose what I need to the early birds," With that, he propped his hand out to offer a shake to both Milos and Jonah.
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

Northern Tides