Taste of a poison paradise

Brocade

POSTED: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Helena Troy Lykoi

ooc

The nightmare woke her, a red paw coming to clasp at her breast and attempt to calm her leaping heart. His eyes had glowed in the dark, like raw wounds. It had not been since the war that she had felt such disquiet within her and despite the very early hour, she got out of bed and paced about her house.

Without the knife she would have been helpless, at his mercy. Her hands flexed and her claws clicked against each other, her jaw snapped shut on air. No, not defenseless but.. in a much worse position than without a true weapon.

Phobos came to her call, still living within their tower for he had no wealth of his own just yet. She commanded him to take her message, that she wished to accept his lessons of combat in exchange for a price he might want. She would met him at the training ring, later in the morning. Helena liked to assume she had a closer relationship with her good-brother, after time had passed and children born and raised and sent off to play with an uncle to keep them out of trouble.

It was not a normal thing for Helena to almost demand his presence.

Later, she waited in the training ring for him, tapping her fingers against the inside of her arm, wearing the tunic that Till had bought for her. She leaned back against the fence and tied up her riotous hair from her face.

Feel the heat of my breath
Hear the furnace in my chest
Helena Troy Lykoi

Salsola
The Quartermaster
Jace
Luperci Conserje, Cocinero Mate to Calla and Till

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm

The message had come from a tired look slave who had mumbled the invitation so quietly that Brocade had been forced to lean out of his doorway to listen closely. Many of Salsolas family took great pride in their indentured servants, but Brocade had always been indecisive on his stance towards them. Some members of Salsolas nobility had sought the man out for training; he had spent hours with The Boss training her on how to spin her staff effectively.

Hyacinth too had learnt how to aim her bow beneath his watchful eye. There were others too, The Bull, Etoile, Jacquard, Krios – Brocade was surprised that it had taken this long for Helena to reach out to him, but something had happened between them in the wake of their exchanging gifts. He had always considered Helena a member of his family – but outside of knowing her as Callas wife he found that there was not much he knew about the long-nosed woman.

He arranged his things and left the cabin soon after the messenger left, a staff slung over his shoulder along with his bow and arrow.

When he trotted up to the training ground he was not surprised to find Helena leaning against the crooked fence, her flame-colored eyes assessing him quietly as he came alongside her.

<”Bonjour,”> He smiled, <”I half expected your brood to be here too.”>

The grin was genuine, and he shrugged so that the staff fell in a more comfortably groove along his armor.

<”What would you like to learn today.”> He pulled the bow so that it rested between them, <”I brought what I thought would work best for you.”>

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:24 am

Helena Troy Lykoi

French in italics

The tapping of fingers against her arm soon irritated her enough that she straightened and stared off into the distance in a unusual display of absentmindedness. It had been quite a while since the true security of herself had been beached so severely, back when Basilio had appeared to hold that rock so high despite his stature. She shifted uncomfortably and turned to look down the path, sure thatb Brocade from that direction when he did arrive.

She watched silently as he approached with sparks in his step. In spite of the lack of truly knowing each other Helena had seen differences within him since the arrival of that woman. The one with stars painted across her face. Since the meeting in the storeroom Helena had not been alone or had truly interacted with Etoile but something still... nagged, a fly that would not leave her presence.

She pushed away from the fence and met him with long strides and an easy smile, a beautiful curtsy,

"Bonjour" She laughed lightly, "Today Cleome has the dubious honors." It was so easy to play happy wife, but today she couldn't quite manage it all the way. The tiredness in her eyes was a give away that sparkled like diamonds.

"I believe congratulations are in order, Apprentice." She smiled and again it didn't quite reach where it should. Sometimes playing the game might just be too hard. She gave a hard contemplation to the things he presented with her, and whilst learning a greater weapon appealed to her - something smaller also loomed in possibilities.

"I was thinking.. for now... something smaller.. easily hidden." Suddenly the façade cracked and she pressed delicate fingers to heavy eyelids.

"Half a moon ago, a man I thought a friend tried to attack me. Luck was my saviour, I would not be put in that position again." She looked at him through the cave of her fingertips, and it was a hard light - the scraps that spoke of survivor. Her muzzle wrinkled as she was reminded of that wayward child she had once been, playing for tricks and talking other, more stupider children from their trinkets.

Feel the heat of my breath
Hear the furnace in my chest
Helena Troy Lykoi

Salsola
The Quartermaster
Jace
Luperci Conserje, Cocinero Mate to Calla and Till

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 pm

The thought of Cleome surrounded by simpering children had Brocades rugged face pulled into a smile. Children had become something of a wonder to the soldier – ever since Etoile had re-entered his life and spread herself across every portion of his day. He found that more often than not he considered their future in a way that he had never done before. Brocade had dedicated his time to learning the ways of his new Kingdom, ensuring that he learned names, ranks and found like-minded people.

It had taken him even longer still to realize that he was prepared to finally join the game.

Lokr had hired him all that time ago to watch over his daughter and Hyacinth had asked that sometime in the future he protect her own blood and ensure their safety within Salsola. He trained new comers, sponsored Associates - ensured that they understood the rules and adapted to them. He had presented the Sotto Cappo with gifts, pledged his loyalty and exposed his heart. Salsola meant something different to him now, and as it grew he could see himself growing alongside it.

Growth was something that Brocade understood, even as a soldier. When he had first began his career, it had been with uncertainty. Dirge had presented him with a dagger soon after his first shift. He had practiced with it for hours, swung it and stabbed it deep into his training. It had started something in him, had sowed the seeds of discipline and regime that were required of a man of the shield.

He protected the realm. He protected the Kingdom. He protected his heart.

Brocade wasn’t sure when his heart had gotten so beaten – so bruised. He had spent what felt like an eternity lining it with barbed wire, ensuring that every pitiful memory from his past was squashed in the shadow of ambition. He pretended that he was unphased, but sometimes as he lay between the quiet of full sleep he could feel the pain begin to creep toward him – its tiny hands clutching and squeezing the breath from his lungs.

The congratulations acted like tinder, and he could feel flames crawling in his chest. The ambition was amounting to something – creating a gate that he felt he could push through. For some reason he thought that if he clambered over the others, teetered along each perilous mountains until he reached the peek. For some reason he thought that he would feel joyous – perfect wind-swept wonderful joy when he eventually found his place amongst The Kingdom, but for now he tended to his heart.

His hand thumped against his armor rhythmically as he inspected the long-nosed French woman.

<”The same goes for you Helena,”> He smiled, bowing his head as he palmed the staff in his hands and leaned it against the nearby fence. "We are both apprentices now." The man bowed his head, "Your family must be proud. I am proud."

Helena had proven to be an ambitious woman in the absence of his sister, and Brocade appreciated the way she brought Calla out of her shell. Since his sisters return to The Kingdom Helena had been there to bolster Calla, to ensure her safety and to bring her back into the fold smoothly. Absence was noticed something in Salsola that was often noticed – The Outpost was a place used to create space but also to harbor young. He wondered quietly if perhaps that was one of the reasons that Hyacinth and Calla had both disappeared to the Outpost for a time.

He fantasized about children, about raising a family with a wife. Family had become a dream for him, one that Etoile had started before she had disappeared. Once, he had imagined her as his wife. She had proposed to him, clutched him tightly as she whispered about their future. He had once thought that all of that was lost to him, thrown away in the wake of Ferdinands loss. Jacquard had buried himself in women, found heart after wandering heart to sing his soul to. Brocade had lost himself in other ways - had found drink and training. Women had come later, and even then it was all to forget.

He still thought of family, even after everything else.

Brocade got lost in the memory of it, allowed his mind to wander toward the shadowy children that he had imagined for months and months. Suddenly Helenas voice cracked through the wilderness and the Arena – and he blinked groggily, allowing his eyes to clear when he finally realized what she said.

<”What happened?”> Brocade couldn’t help the sound that built in his throat, the sudden hard edge that crept through his gold-coin eyes, <”Who was it?”>

The thought of someone hurting his family – even one not of his blood had him seething. The fur along his shoulders rippled and bucked, his chest tightening as he considered the dangers that faced his family. The Family.

He wrinkled his scarred lips and bent to pick up a dagger, twirling it contemplatively in his hands. "This will not be our last season," His lips twitched, "We will meet regularly to ensure that you can keep yourself safe." He rumbled, "Keep The Family safe." It was similar to the one his father had given to him, and he smiled crookedly when the hilt made a satisfying sound in the palm of his hand.

It was a move that came with experience, but when he finally handed it to Helena he did so with great care.

<”We will work with this.”> He handed it to her quietly, <"How does it feel in your hand? it must be balanced - not too heavy and not too light.">

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

Dead Topics