all merit's in being meat

POSTED: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 pm

A mouse nibbled wild seeds in the shelter of an old tire wall, then darted into a nearby earthy hole when loud footsteps shook the earth. Mindless of the noise she made, Merari lifted planks of rotten wood and peeked into decrepit houses in search of food. She smelled signs of prey, mostly the amonia of cat scent markers and the musk of a raccoon, but nothing that would be an easy catch. She didn't particularly want to tussle with sharp-clawed prey.

Might had better set some snares, chica, suggested Laurel's molasses drawl. She looked up and caught a coil of something he threw at her. 'n' stop stompin' around. He quirked his brow at her, the expression intensified by the stripes of soot on his face, then retreated back into the abandoned town toward where his horse was tethered.

Late as it was, Merari reasoned that they had little time to hunt. Laurel promised to drag her along on a little trading venture, and they needed to catch a few hours of sleep here and there if they were going to make any good ground. It would do better to set traps and hope rather than leave their companion and cargo unguarded -- at least in a place like this.

A gust of wind brought with it a flurry of flower petals, and Merari sniffed the air before squatting down outside a suspicious-looking house-hole. She began to uncoil the prepared snare, reaching around for something to anchor it to and trying to recall the steps.

All Welcome for one! Colchester Quarter, with Laurel nearby. "It's night in an abandoned village, and flower petals are dancing in the air. Your character is setting a trap for prey."

face down in the desert now there's a cage locked around my heart
Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Raze
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Most of Belial’s travels consisted of just wandering. He had wandered northwest towards a small town known as Colchester Quarter just to simply get away from his brother and his crazy family. He couldn’t help but still feel like Charlie wanted to kill him in his sleep; and it didn’t help that Izual’s kids seemed suspicious of him, too. He found comfort nowhere near any of them. Luckily for him, staying with them for a few months earned him some trust, some wiggle room and at least he could leave now without being accompanied by someone like before.

It was captivity really. And his brother was working towards getting Belial back to his “old self” so that he could turn his madness on the world again. What Izual didn’t realize was that Belial hadn’t the same madness as him. He couldn’t just decide to kill someone, like Izual. He didn’t prefer Luperci meat over any other meat. And he certainly wasn’t doing it to please no god anymore, so what was the point?

Walking aimlessly with his arms crossed over his midsection, Belial meandered right into the shuffling of another living being. He had been turning a corner snaking through the decrepit backyards of the old houses while looking out towards the horizon when he nearly stepped right onto her. Scrambling back, her scent hit him right in the heart: Inferni.

”I-I’m sorry... I wasn’t paying attention,” he immediately apologized, uncharacteristic of his former self. ”What... are you doing?” She had her head halfway into a hole when he came upon her, though the two kind of just saw each other now.

--------------------------
Hope you don’t mind I took this :)

Sammiie
Luperci
MISCHIEF MANAGED

POSTED: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Absorbed in her work, the young coywolf used some nearby twigs and debris to make anchor points for the snare, toying with the circumference of the loop that would hopefully seize the neck of the small den’s occupant. That is – if the obvious coyote smell didn’t scare it away. She would have better luck chasing something toward the hole than waiting for an animal to come out.

She sighed, missing the simplicity of rabbits and birds caught in her Lupus form or brought home by her parents. She peeked her muzzle back toward the hole, trying to gauge if it was empty.

Footsteps followed by an apology made her jerk upright, her ears fanning back and her lips lifting to show pearly teeth. The girl was quick to get her feet underneath her, rising to her full height – almost as tall as the grey-tawny coyote. And it was his species, coupled by his stammer, that made her relax her guard – just a little bit. She knew that Laurel was within hearing distance of a scream.

“Settin’ a trap,” Merari answered. She looked the loner over, narrowing her eyes curiously at the odd pattern of scars on his lips. “What about you?” He was the one just meandering and not paying attention.

Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Raze
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:11 am

"I- um. Just wandering around, not paying attention," Belial chuckled, trying to grasp onto that feeling of being comfortable in his own skin again. However, it kept slipping out of his grasp like squeezing a wet bar of soap. He peered down at the hole that the woman had been looking into, wondering just what was so interesting about whatever was inside of it. The woman would have more luck trying to hunt something in the forest rather than looking into random holes around the abandoned town.

"What are you trying to trap in there? Or out of there?" Belial had no idea how traps worked. All the reading he did, but none of it was on trapping or much of anything useful, really. He read a lot of books about old human wars - the ones that were still legible enough to read in full - and about artifacts. He read an airplane manual once, marveling at the technology that was so over his head it could've been in another language and he would've understood it all the same.

The Coyote backed off from her some, finding the post of a nearby house to lean on. However, as he eased what little weight he was onto the thing, it swayed underneath him and groaned. Catching himself just in time, Belial found the stairs to the house's porch a much safer option and instead sat down, folding his hands over his knees and watching the Infernian with an orange, bright-eyed stare.

Sammiie
Luperci
MISCHIEF MANAGED

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Merari made a noncommittal sound at the loner’s response. She was not so prone to daydreaming; she preferred doing things. If she wandered, she scaled every rock, climbed every tree, jumped every stream in her path. If she let her thoughts roam, they circled around practical things until she became restless enough to put those ideas into action. Her hands twitched at the thought.

“Well, I dunno,” she replied. “Maybe a gopher? Or a…” She measured the hole with her hands. “Well, whatever made this hole is small enough to eat. If it goes in or comes out, it’ll get snagged in that twine, and it’ll shut around its neck or body.” She demonstrated, pulling at the knot that allowed the mechanism to work, then loosening it again. “I’m mostly just tryna keep my hands busy. Laurel and I, we’re–”

The post that the man leaned against groaned and creaked threateningly, and Merari seemed to leap to her feet. She peered up at the broken roof and collapsed gutters, then watched the loner find a safer seat on the low-to-the-ground steps.

“We were gonna go trade, just wanted to settle in this village for the night,” she continued. “See what the trap catches in the morning.”

She peered at the loner. “Do you live around here?”

Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Raze
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm

Belial listened intently - as intently as he could with what was going on around him. Trapping sounded like an easy way to get a small snack. A small meal was better than going hungry. And if there was the least amount of work put into it? Even better. The Infernian mentioned another and Belial’s ear cocked and he looked around for the other she mentioned, though by sight or scent, he didn’t see anyone in the immediate area but them.

”Laurel?” Belial questioned. Her companion wasn’t too important, but... where was he if he was supposed to be settling in with her?

Belial blinked and looked down at his hands for a moment. ”Not here, particularly. I live in the Seabreeze Brink area with my brother and his crazy family. Any chance to get away is a... blessing.”

In all his years, he had never thought he’d use that word willingly. Blessing. It went against every belief, every word he had ever uttered. The ghost’s voice echoed in his mind and Belial winced as if he had been hurt physically.

Eventually, his bright orange eyes found the female again.

”Where were you going trading around here? Or was it not around here?”

Word Count → 000 :: ooc text here

Sammiie
Luperci
MISCHIEF MANAGED

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am

Orange eyes wandered at mention of her companion, and Merari jerked her thumb back in the direction where the trader had left. He's lookin' for a safe place t' sleep. If the houses were as creaky and rickety as the one the coyote leaned on, it might be difficult. Rari preferred to sleep out in the open when weather permitted, though, and they would take turns napping so that no thief caught them off-guard.

She looked the thin loner over, wondering if he might be desperate enough to thieve, too. For now, though, Merari wasn't concerned.

That's kinda why I'm out here too, she said, ignorant as to just how crazy the stranger's brother and family were. Family's great, but sometimes you wanna get away. Especially with her mother holding various responsibilties over her head, wanting to make something of Merari. Why wasn't it enough that she was a good worker?

She sighed, settling back down and fiddling with the trap as means to keep her hands busy. No, nobody's out this way. She flipped a pigtail behind her shoulder. We were headin' west, I dunno how far. More packs that way, but Laurel says he knows loners. There's a place called Portland, too, but he says he's not sure we'll go that far this time.

She glanced back up at the stranger. We're from Inferni. She thrust the stick anchors into the earth where she'd dug at it, made the last touches on the snare. I'm Merari, by the way. What harm was there in giving out names?

Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Raze
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 am

The woman seemed to talk freely, and Belial considered his former beliefs and thinking. Her freedoms and comfort with speaking with him might’ve struck him as a weakness back then, but now he found it interesting that she was able to relax this much around a stranger. He could’ve had ill intentions, waited for her to bend down and stick her face in that hole before ramming a hefty rock into the back of her skull, but Belial just blinked his orange eyes, watching her intently. There had been trappers in Inferni in his time… She might’ve only been a kid then.

”Belial,” he offered back after a nod. ”I was part of Inferni, too, before I left and uh… went searching for my soul in the mountains.” He was just starting to gain what little weight he had back after that limiting, food-fleeting life. ”It was a couple years back… I think you were a pup, if you were born at all. I don’t know.” He didn’t pay attention much to Vesper’s brood. At that time, he tried to put as much distance between them as he could, to keep his secrets, secrets.

”Does Vesper still lead Inferni?” he asked, almost out of the blue. He’d considered going back for a few months now, though he wasn’t sure how well he’d be received after his brother, Izual, had caused all that chaos there. ”I kinda noticed they moved… my brother said to the Eastern Realms?” He was prying a bit, though only to make conversation with another kin. Belial had no idea why they had moved or what benefit they got from switching from a land that had done them good for all those years.

Word Count → 000 :: ooc text here

Sammiie
Luperci
MISCHIEF MANAGED

POSTED: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

The name Belial didn't ring any bells, but Merari never buried her nose in that old history book her mother coveted. As such, she was ignorant to his connections, or she might have regarded him with warranted suspicion. She didn't care much that he had left, either; a wolf from a pack might have harangued him about why he left, but the coyotes of Inferni had always been free to just come and go. Clan life did not suit everyone, especially those without hybrid blood and instincts to bind them together.

Rari hesitated when he asked whether Vesper led. He must have left before the war; she had been an infant then, barely old enough to understand what was going on when Salsola set fire to their home. She chewed on her inner cheek then glanced up at him.

"My mother Vicira is the leader now. We left because..." She stood up and dusted off her furry thighs, then crossed her arms. "Well, we were fighting Salsola. They burned down the mansion. We were gonna die if they kept going, so... Vicira took over and we went east where nobody can bother us." Because no one else was stupid enough to hunt around in prey-starved lands, she thought to herself. She didn't let this thought show on her face, or tried not to. Her face was downturned anyway, surveying the trap she made.

She looked back at him, pale blue eyes meeting gold. "Did you find it?" she asked, and only after a moment clarified, "Your soul." Her lips twitched in the mischievous smirk of a teenager bold enough to press her luck with dumb questions. Her bushy tail swayed behind her.

Del Cenere Gang
The Unkindled
Raze
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:09 am

Belial sat with a mostly comfortable stance, firstly sitting straight due to embarrassment, but that eventually melted away as the conversation focused on other things and not the fact that he almost fell and took part of a house down with him. Belial’s eyes widened when Merari shared that Inferni had switched Leadership and moved due to a war.

”Wow, that’s intense!” He had known about the conflict between Salsola and Inferni for some time, though he never guessed it’d turn into a full-out war. He knew the two had been on shaky terms with one another, even after coming together to defeat a common enemy.

”I don’t… remember much about Vicira, but I’m sure she’s a great leader. Seasoned by Vesper herself, so she’s gotta be good for Inferni... I wish I could return.”

Belial missed life in Inferni, but he stayed away for two reasons: Izual and his shame. He’d gone because the floor fell out from under him, but now that he was finding shaky ground again, he didn’t know if Inferni would represent something good or bad for him. Would he constantly be reminded of the evils he had committed for a sadistic ghost or would he be able to move on?

Either way, Izual would follow him into Inferni if he had gone now and probably make trouble for him. It was best to just listen to his overbearing brother and keep his head low for now.

”Not yet, not in the mountains at least,” Belial answered, a smirk ghosting his lips as well. He remembered a woman he had bedded up there, briefly believing that she was the soul he had been seeking for a long time.

Word Count → 000 :: Wanna end soon?

Sammiie
Luperci
MISCHIEF MANAGED

Dead Topics