Just a little black rain cloud hovering under the honey tree

AW

POSTED: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:43 am

The mead of the honeybee was a sweet thing indeed, but about as equal in impressiveness was the sting of its tail. The mysterious witch was making her way through her pack's lands, as had become her custom, to the storage building when she heard the faint buzzing sound from off in the trees. She knew the meaning of the noise at once, and hopeful, broke into a sprint to sniff out the hive. It was mid-morning, not too hot yet, so the bees were still quite active – the strange little yellow creatures were not very fond of the heat and would usually retreat when the sun was at its highest, and thanks to the noise of their busy buzzing she found the tree with little trouble. First just a couple bees were in sight, and then more, and then the sound was loud and trilling and the jackal found herself peering up at the busy nest from below. Silently, she thanked the gods that she had chosen to put on dark colors this morning.

Just thinking about the delectable treat inside that hive made her mouth water like no other meal before. She had tasted the sweet, sticky honey but once, and the crunchy delicacy that was the comb twice, and both times it was before she had migrated here from Africa as a refugee. With interlaced fingers, she peered at the nest and licked her lips, appearing quite primitive.

It would be insane to try to retrieve the honey though... wouldn't it? Those mean critters that buzzed and crawled about the hive could do a lot of damage, and she had even heard rumors that if they swooped down en masse they could kill a full grown wolf. Still, if she could figure out how to access the dulcet syrup inside she could have quite the delicious treat for herself, and then she could present the rest to her dark queen as a gift. Everything was about thought and planning, life was strategy.

Still, she had no strategy for extracting the honey. It would be best just to give up the futile idea, but for some reason she could not pull herself away from the thought. There must be a way...

OOC Thread prompt: It's noon, and songbirds are flying overhead. Your character has accidentally disturbed a bee nest. All welcome, one or more. || WC 300+

Salsola
The Family
☥ Nukiira ☥
Luperci I command you, I control you Eclipse the Blood Moon
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:19 am

Loki put hands on hips and squinted up at the hophornbeam, the morning light streaming through the leaves painting dapples on his golden mask. His interested had been piqued by a gentle humming in the trees, too – though he did not see bees. Instead, he frowned at a familiar pair of fluffy tails twitching in laughter through the leaves.

Embla! the silver coywolf yapped. Ratatoskr's bushy tail, what are you doing?

Two clever narrow faces peered at him from the catkins. One was whiskered and dark-eyed and disappeared a moment later, but the second smiled at him.

Climbing, Daddy! Jalda wanted to show me her favorite tree! She climbed slowly down to a lower branch, succeeding in giving Loki heart palpitations. He made a nervous noise, and she seemed to suddenly slip – then laughed, catching her claws on the sturdy trunk, and winked at him. Gee, you're so far down, you're just a blur, she joked.

Not funny, Loki growled, and marched to the tree. He lifted his hands, and Embla dropped down into his arms. He guided her fall until she was on solid ground, with the smalll grey fox reluctantly clambering down after her. He shot Jalda a reproachful look, but the quiet vixen glared back at him and tilted her head toward Embla. He sighed; he should have known. Even my namesake was caught in his tricks, Embla.

The girl rolled her clouded eyes. He tutted, and she dropped her ears apologetically, smiling at him and leaning against his arm. Jalda wouldn't let me fall.

Jalda's not big enough to catch you if you do.

Embla squinted at the ground for her fox, but the animal began to slink off, ears pricked and nose twitching. Loki followed suit, barely catching the droning of insects, and with Embla latched onto his arm (more for his comfort than hers) he made his way toward the aroma of honey and the buzz of bees.

They were not the first to discover the hive. A jackal in intricate dark adornments stood contemplating the honeybees. Her appearance was striking; Loki blinked a few times, caught off guard, then broke into his trademarked smile. Sweet taste, terrible sting, he said, announcing himself in his artificially high lilt. He propped a hand on a cocked hip and peered at the hive. You know, I heard a rumor smoke puts them to sleep.

Made nervous by the flitting insects, Jalda pawed at Embla's leg and was lifted up into the girl's arms. She sniffed in Maelyx's direction, the woman otherwise a blurr of tawny and black, and wagged her tail amiably.

Hello again. ;) This looked lonely, and I figured these two would want to meet!

With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
The Crone
Raze
Luperci Vedetto, Collettore raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

POSTED: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Though the witch was deep in thought contemplating the hive, she did not miss the approach of the small, ragtag family, with the soft din of their merriment preceding their arrival. An ear flicked in their direction, but the witch, feeling possibly a bit too secure within the borders of her pack lands, made no other acknowledgment of the group until they came closer.

When they approached the more senior one of the group spoke, and that was when her icy blue gaze shifted to peer at the group. Hm, I think that just might work she agreed, nodding and turning her gaze back to the hive for a moment. When she returned her attention to the Helsi clan, it was her full attention, angling her body towards them. Maelyx had been around Salsola enough to know who they were, generally, but not much beyond that. Loki and...? she asked, making sure to get their names first, being less sure of the younger female's name.

A shadow moved close to the ground, and her gaze flicked to the shape of the fox. It sent a brief pang through her, reminding her of the beloved pets of her former mate. She could not let that pain show, though. Maelyx had done the leaving, and it was better for them all. Still, seeing the strange creature did make her wonder how her mate had fared after her disappearance. She had others, she thought to herself. She is fine.

Any theory as to how to get the smoke into the hive without burning it? she cocked her head and considered the hive again. Perhaps we could work together and split the reward?

OOC Welcome! Thanks for joining! || WC 200+

Salsola
The Family
☥ Nukiira ☥
Luperci I command you, I control you Eclipse the Blood Moon
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

Salsola