Wild and loyal in a winter mind

Saga, The Mire

POSTED: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:46 pm

500+

OOC: Summary: Mystery sleepwalked into a cave and is freaking out lol

IC:

Tonight someone else pulled the strings. They'd been left with a dream: they were a fly thrashing in a drop of blood, a stain on the forest floor, a shred of sun permeating in the green flesh of a leaf, a butterfly flying far until far was closeby. The feeling would not let go. It was their job to dream, but keep walking, but the destination wasn't known. The summer was all quiet, there in the dark. It had been daytime before, where was the daytime now. Day was gone. The walking could stop now. Because something was brewing, flooding open like a swirling black gate. The tension was there, the faint rumblings as if the rain could fall if someone just poked the ceiling and let the jaws of thunder snap wide. The fresh-cracking open of an old dark door echoed, and the fading howls came, cries of anguish from those doomed to die. It all came through, and the dream had to stop because the dream had become too real.

Mystery shuddered suddenly, and their backside brushed against something hard, fur bristling as their back arched. Their jowls creaked out of their stillness, eyes blinking in the overwhelming nothing. The air reeked of dirt. Their hairs sat high on end with static fear, and their flesh was doused in a chilling layer of sweat that made their fur feel paper thin. Mystery felt weightless, unreal, but the dark was real and the heat was real and their head was saying things that sounded real. ‘Wake up time good morning. Breakfast is soon’

‘Where are youuuu’

“I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't know I don't know—” the coydog mouthed, voice breaking as they sunk to the ground. The surroundings were fields of nothingness all around, nothing familiar. Mystery stared off into this horrible unknown, where all and anything ever could lurk. “Too d-dark. T-too dark.”

Some breaths, and the ashes of fear settled enough for a question: “Is th-this hell?” before unfurling again, hot and aplenty.

‘No flames’

No flames. Maybe there were no flames.

‘Sure this is hell’

‘This is swell’

‘In the dark we dwell’

“D-don't do that”

And just after, this slowly, faint and tentative: ‘Darkness darkness’ ‘hides the badness,’ ‘strikes you deep right into madness’ and the words fell down, marbles down a staircase.

Mystery could make out the faint tint of red painting the walls in a watery vapour. Glistening thick and coating their throat. Dripping down from the ceiling, sticking between their toes. A familiar heat, a presence that told something was beside them. The heat went dead and the room went dead. Slithering, the clumsy, wet noise of decrepit lungs drawing in air, in and out. The soft shuffle of flames that said maybe this was hell after all. The breathing grew angrier, more desperate. Mystery felt the claws press down on their body, and then sharp things, tearing into flesh and the floor ran slick with blood. The screams filled the spaces in between. Then no pain, and not a scathe, but the screaming would not stop. They would not stop.
all the toys, and the tools in the box.
all the noise, all the voices never stop.
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
Spotlight Soul Luperci Belle of the spookiest ball!
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm

2+ sorry for this very crappy post!

Something was wrong.

It had been something she'd sensed before the screaming even began. Moonlight streamed in through the boarded up windows, through the open door and fell onto the pile of furs tucked into one corner. As it did so, the pale beam drew a stark line across the neck of the woman who's pelt so matched the night sky. Lime eyes snapped open and mismatched ears focussed in the still, early morning air. Something wasn't right. Saga didn't move, she spent a moment wracking her brain to try and figure out why she was awake so suddenly at this unreasonable hour. Was someone watching her? She leaned upright, balancing on her ribs as she glanced towards the front door. Close shut as usual. Towards the window, the gaps between the planks unintruded upon.

It was then when the screaming started.

She rose to her feet in an instant and was out the door in a millisecond. Shifting as she ran (an easy and swift task since it was from lupus to secui) Saga made her way towards the source of the sound. As she got closer to the cave, the screams got louder. Without a second thought, she entered.

It was the newcomer. The merle one. Screaming, screaming constantly. But nothing else. No one else to cause them pain. Not knowing what else to do, Saga called out. But there was no reply, and without any other smart idea, she pounced. Maybe if she could restrain the newcomer, this madness would stop.
Last edited by Saga D'Angelo on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
Luperci Lucky Little Leaf
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:20 pm

300+

OOC: A lot of this is false perception via schizophrenia, but Mystery does try to bite Saga to get her off.

IC:

Knives roaming their body like searchlights trying to find their insides, and Mystery screamed and shrieked, twisting around in the dark. The esophagus of the cave howled alongside them, in a way that almost seemed sympathetic until the realization. It was spitting the pain back, cackling, pointing, containing. Then the pain was not pain at all, but a horrible ruse, rug from the feet, wool over eyes in that pitch black night time wonderland that was anything but full of wonders.

The rabbit had fallen down the hole deep, and the tantalizing aroma of a foot snagged in the trap must have wafted far and wide, because soon the wolf came for its early morning snack. It leapt onto them, a crash on a harbour, and they tumbled deeper down, deeper down. The cave shuddered as it felt itself fill up with the addition of one more. The cave roared its approval, and the beast there with them wanted to win the affections most. Mystery kicked out and thrashed in the meeting of fur and flesh, snarling and yapping in a blind fury. The pair rolled around like this, tangled in an angry struggle. All the while the warm blanket of blood grew thicker in nostrils, and the monster, the unseen beast was going to win and they would lose and the cave would eat them up in one swift lurch. One great whale, flesh comprised of midnight, and teeth and more teeth.

‘The better to eat us all’

Lucifer must have been standing there, because they could feel his hot licking breath, the curling odour of a rancid dinner at their spotty back. The cave’s walls reacted to his voice, multiply, bounce, repeat—bobbing dipping diving—which made Mystery understand that sound could swim.

A flashing glimpse of twin green spots glowing, searching. The better to eat us all. These words, struck the match, cracked the ice like a fresh wound, and in a violent lashing out with teeth, Mystery attempted to escape their big bad monster. One of them. The something that was there. They would not be devoured, eaten, swallowed like a pathetic shred of misery today. Would they?
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

3+ I've had Mys make contact, but Saga probably won't complain about it to anyone lmao, hit me up if anything needs changing!

All her efforts were in vain, for the coydog (almost the inverse of the D'Angelo herself) still thrashed and wailed. While slightly taller than the newcomer - there was only an inch or two in it - Saga was outweighed by a good deal and her grasp on the merle creature was slipping with each passing moment inside the cavern. Anchored by interrupted sleep and the all-encompassing shadows, the Wolverthorne's hold on her baying opponent. Still she no inkling as to why this battle has started. All she knew was the screaming that was almost always partnered with an attack - and yet - no attacker lay in wait inside the maw of the cavern. No claw marks or ruby blood marred the coat of the newcomer.

Her grip finally gave way when a flash of teeth cut through the darkness. In daylight, she would have been quick to avoid them, but in the gloom, all she could do was turn her head and cushion the assault with her shoulder. Pain burst up through to her collarbone, and down to her hock, but with an athletic maneuver she was free of Mystery and whatever demon was possessing them.

Demons.

She didn't believe in them. She knew that. But in this half-awake state, witness to something as haunting as what her two chartreuse eyes received, she wasn't entirely certain in her statement. Unused to battle, already her bones ached and her muscles burned. In the darkness, she wasn't sure if the newcomer has drawn blood, but she supposed it didn't matter. Her only priority now was de-escalating what was a volatile situation.

She back off a significant amount, five or so yards, before she called out again. Standing tall, dominant in every sense, she called for an end to the madness. Hoping Mystery would be able to heed it.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm

500+

OOC:

IC:

Somehow a weight gone, a release from the beast, and a ringing scrabble as Mystery's paws gained purchase. It felt slippery, and they almost felt their own taste buds being scathed and scoured by tiny claws, a mouse in the wet dark maze of her jaws—teeth gums tongue—squirming to be let out. It's what being eaten felt like, wasn't it? Then a loud thump rattled through the air and through their shoulder, Mystery falling over onto the rough ground. A dim faint whirling and rushing in their ears, purling seas of sound pressing on. It drowned the world, drowned their head that drowned the world drowning their head.

Air. The hot scent of sweat and panic that flattened the breeze as their eyes drew open, and now they could see those green eyes glinting there, in the dark. It was saying something before, a part of Mystery wondering if monsters could talk. Or reason or dream. Maybe they could pretend to do it all, to mime and coax. “G-get a-a-away, wh-whatever you are! I d-don't wanna d-d-die!” Well, not for real—real was less than unreal because it was more than unreal. The doggish coyote sprung up, a forepaw raking the wall as they moved hurriedly towards the mouth. And outside the whale moaned into the dusk. They never turned away from the slats of green however, and the outline, the shape attached to them that made them live.

But the grating, sour note; the presence of calmer intentions, of pain they could smell. It burst through so heavy and thick, and the guilt made veins run with cotton, sooty, leaden cotton that clunked away. Mystery's head swarmed full with this new blood, flies buzzing inside their stomach, and up and up and—they threw their head to the side, body following in a tilt as their dinner was lost to the blackness of the whale’s insides. Out. Lucifer screamed in a violent cackling jaunt.

Lucifer hissed a sympathetic, ‘Oh dear,’ as their stomach settled itself.

Then Mystery’s legs were shaking as they stood, cloud and sky eyes bleeding and weeping their pastel colours, mouth caught open in a twisted up frown. Tail gone stale between legs. Their mouth opened, and the words went tumbling in a spill. Every word dirty, grotesque, shaded in guilt. “Th-there was something in h-here w-with me—and I thought—I thought—” then they'd stopped themselves, choking back air, hacking coughing in the now icy stagnant fetor of the cave. The unforgiving coolness of damp sweat. “I…” they breathed mildly, “I am d-dangerous.” That sentence, lingered and haunted.

‘A weapon’

‘A scared girl’

“A m-monster…” and the coydog felt the warm tears slip down the slopes of their face, eyes shutting tight, sealing away that bitter dark world for as long as they could press down. Then, slowly, inches they began to back out of the cave. Over the gums and back over the lips, to the world that would come and eat them up as readily as the mouth of the cave had.
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm

2+

In the end, the madness did stop. As abruptly as the duel had been, so it subsided. Panting raggedly, white speckled tail brushing against the cave wall, Saga's bright eyes watched the coydog like a hawk. A grumble sprung from her throat as second by second, as by divine intervention, rosy light crept into the cave. It was not aggressive, not quite. It was a warning, a complaint, but there was no real menace behind it. The atomweight girl shook slightly where she lingered, whether from anger or shock, ears forward and the tips of her teeth still on display.

'There was nothing in here with you.' It almost sounded like she was scolding the other woman, one older than her threefold. Though now she understood a little better, understood there was something not right about this creature. Her resolve softened, however, as a woeful whine escaped the coydog. Peach-coloured light continued to flood the cave, illuminating the steady drip of dark red blood that marked out the shallow bite marks on Saga's shoulder. No real damage had been done.

'Yes. You are.' The D'Angelo said bitterly, her accent thick and foreboding. Perhaps it had been unfair to agree so enthusiastically.

'Where are you staying? You need to go back home and -' she stopped. What advice could she truly give? 'And talk to Felix or Calia. I won't say anything.' Or she wouldn't unless they asked directly. It was always her policy to avoid lies.
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:16 am

400+

OOC: We might be able to end this in the next few?

IC:

The cave seemed to breathe at Mystery's back, but wasn't sure if it was the pull to stay or go. Maybe it was all the same like the sky every day or the sound of rain.

That was when Saga confirmed it all, the threat Felix had seen, and it made their paws feel heavy as knives. Because the design was hateful of tomorrow, and no matter what they did or where they went, the clouds would follow. Just then Mystery had to decide what they were supposed to think. What angle to leap from, what colour to pick out from behind the glass. They wanted to just leave, go home and back to bed but what would that do. They had to find a place to stand, or at least pretend to. Then everything would be okay, everything would make sense. Perfect and packaged and completely bite-sized to swallow.

“I…” the coydog began, wincing at that word, because it felt as though it was someone else. “I d-don't l-like the dark.” A blank silence, quavering breaths. “T-too much possibility. And I d-don't like not knowing,” she breathed, a small shrill pull of air from the gutter. Then with loathe, “I hate it,” as their eyes shut it all out again. Then the whispers like breezes beyond panes of glass, and “I hate it” rapped on the windows of sound over and over. Fear urging on the hate.

But the smell of blood, the reality of what they'd done unsettling enough to pull them from their fears and frustration. “F-Foxheel,” they said, the name resounding. Black socked feet snagged by the heels is what it reminded them of. “I d-don't—I c-can't do th-that I'll be f-forced to leave...to g-go and I d-don't wanna go.” A pause then, ‘I don't w-w-wanna go,’ the mockery falling in a single volley, enough to make Mystery feel numb. These problems, the waking sleep, the pressing dark that painted the world in too many threatening shapes. All too much, too super dangerous and begging flight or fight that they did not possess.

They hated the dark. “C-can you...we...go f-for a walk, u-until the sun comes up?” They hated the dark, and wanted to watch it take its leave. It was some kind of last vengeful action, whether passive or not they wanted to spit, and spit hard. Even as the first splinters of dawn slipped out. They hated the dark, the unknown and transformative, because it was the way the world seemed no matter the time.
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:30 am

sure! 2+

The dark was a ridiculous thing to fear. The D'Angelo fought against the urge to roll her eyes, satisfying herself with allowing white canines to flash briefly while her face was momentarily darkened by shadows. Though she agreed with Mystery's summation that the possibility of what lay in the shadows was a worrying prospect.

'There's nothing dangerous here.' Aside from you. Her attempts to comfort the merle dog were evidently lacking, but she was as honest as her portrayal of a caring packmate was stiff. Her shoulder still pulsed painfully, even though the blood had stopped snaking its way down her long, patchwork legs.

Mystery refused her suggestion of a visit to the Ravenking and Nightstag, stuttering out the admittedly realistic concerns of being turned away from the pack. The dappled girl sighed heavily, 'Foxheel then?' she surrendered, moving tiredly in the direction of the peninsula, a lazy flick of her tail the only gesture for Mystery to follow.

'I'll walk you home.' Saga announced eventually. Hopefully, the sun would have risen enough for her to leave Mystery alone and return home to her own place. She would be forced to push back her patrol to sleep a little longer, but she refused to cancel it entirely due to a minor injury.
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:35 pm

300+

OOC:

IC:

The unknown was a rational thing to fear. It was conniving, lurking in shadows when everything was thought to be clear. But nothing so simple ever existed, and that is where the unknown became unpredictable. The precarious clarity blurred with a twist of the wrist. It was the heat of breath, the sting of wasps, the smattering of dawn at their back. It was a something in everything or nothing at all.

It was a ways of a walk to the fox filled peninsula. The relief of knowing they would have company was incredible, the weight of the world's receding darkness lifted just enough. Saga was being more of a light than Mystery could ever let her fathom, the slayer of a dragon that could not quite be seen. “Th-th…” they almost choked on the removal of pressure, the balance all teetering inside their head. The black white metronome. “Thank you, s-so much,” the words pooling through the inky cave as if etched on a page. “Can I t-tell you s-something?” Mystery asked, but wanted to say before Saga could respond with something stiff or abrasive like she seemed poised to do. “I think y-you're an am-amazing p-person.” They said, the familiar weight of anxiety, of words being turned over in the cold black spaces of someone else's mind. But Mystery said what they wanted, and that was all they could ask for.

Rationally, the next action would be starting the journey, but Mystery remained rooted until they were sure Saga was coming along. As if the offer was a pernicious lie, to have them drowning aimlessly in the murk until dawn burned away the fear. As soon as Saga came along like she said, Mystery followed at her side, beginning the short climb out from the cavernous cage with its damp walls and open mouth. They emerged out into the soggy shadowed land, the mire of Mistfell Vale, and like a lit match down near the floorboards, the shadows of decrepit trees stretched far across the mud and into Mystery's frail thoughts. The coydog's spotted back lifted, hairs on end, but their legs carried them jerkily forward with the Wolverthorne at their side. South and west. “To Foxheel w-we go, to F-Foxheel w-we go,” they jingled at a low volume. To hide in the foxhole to Foxheel they go.
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey
Daniel
paperghost
Dark Side of the Sun

POSTED: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am

assuming that Saga brings Mys back to Foxheel and then goes back home! 3+

Saga felt a heavy presence in the air as the made the journey to the peninsula. The air felt thick, stifling, almost suffocating as she walked abreast of the merle coydog. She didn't know what to think, or to feel. This creature was a danger to all of the Vale and yet Saga felt a growing reluctance to tattle on her like a petty schoolchild. A part of her reluctantly came to the conclusion that whatever demon was possessing this poor soul was to blame, not Mystery. For some reason, the kinder, softer side of the argument seemed to triumph over the more logical, realistic one. Though the battle had been waged in her own mind, the dappled woman still felt unease at the final result. The newcomer had attacked her in a frenzied stupor, and yet here she was helping her assailant...

The thanksgiving came suddenly, causing the D'Angelo to stop dead in her tracks and regard the blue-eyed demon with an odd look. A moment of silence passed before Saga responded with a stiff, 'It's fine.' She went to turn away, but more words tumbled out of the hybrid's mouth, a request with no time to be answered. Eyes narrowing at the lack of time she'd been given to respond, (what would she have said besides "ok" anyway?) Saga took a moment to process Mystery's flustered compliment.

Stiff and abrasive was all the star pelted woman could muster. 'It's fine.' She repeated again. Perhaps the compliment would have been better received if the hybrid's teeth marks had not been imprinted into her shoulder but in the current moment the D'Angelo woman's mind was too clouded to be truly appreciative. 'Thanks.' Saga didn't forget her manners, though there was a hollow sincerity in them.

As they began their journey, disappearing into the morning light, the Crowtooth babbled to themselves absent-mindedly, Saga doing her best to tune it out.

What a bizarre night it had been.
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

Dead Topics