Taking my life back

Brocade

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 am

(---)

Bad post is bad and I had to assume stuff because I couldn't figure out where he lived but here's a Calla. c: Let me know if I need to change anything.

Family was family and she probably should have come to Brocade sooner when things with life had started to bother her. When Julius had become too much, when stress had started to play a part in the way she made decisions, even to the point where she had taken up poppy milk and mushrooms as a way to deal with that stress. But she hadn't and months and weeks now stood between the communication she had shared with her brother that should have been cut short if she was as mature as she had once believed herself to be. Just a few measly days had passed since she had come back home and now, she felt that urge to be closer to family that she had ever been before.

Of course, as most of her actions dictated, she wanted more than just a reunion, though time spent with her brother was a blessing in addition to what she desired.

The first venture on her path was finding someone who knew where he lived, at least where he slept. Corrine was the first one she found in her path. The french woman was quiet for the most part but she had spent enough time with Calla to know that the fox-like woman valued her opinion and knowledge when it came to certain things. With her directions, Calla was able to find its general location within just a few hours. She had never visited her brother at his place. It had never really occurred to her before that she should have.

Now, though, it mattered since she had lost nearly everything in the process of trying to pull herself together. Her time away from her family, aside from her boy who had grown into a handsome young man that reminded her of Brocade, had enlightened her to her need for them. When she got close, she followed his scent, or what she thought was his scent, the rest of the way. Close, she stopped moving and let her blue gaze dart through the trees and bramble. "Brocade? Are you around?" she lightly shouted.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Dread
Luperci Witch Mate to Helena and Till

POSTED: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:55 am

Calla was an enigma to the eldest Velveteen boy, and Brocade had never been certain what about her made her think that she was unworthy. It was a theme that had followed his sister through most of her life - he remembered the moment she had bobbed her own tail, prepared for the excruciating in the name of something more. Velveteen had done that to some of her children - imposing strange scripture that had them willing themselves to be beautiful. Hyacinth had grown her hair out to be long and dark, weaving fronds of flowers and vines into the thick braid until she realized it was not who she was.

Brocade had been allowed a far simpler life under the teachings of Dirge Silevue.

When the soldier found out that his sister had returned he found himself uncertain of how to go to her - they had grown apart since joining the kingdom, each pursuing their own ladders and climbing them fiercely. Brocade hoped to elevate himself, to bring pride to his family name - but Calla had devoted herself to magic, and he remembered something of the Crone.

The knock on the door, when it finally came did not surprise him.

When he opened it he half-hoped for it to be Etoile, returned from whatever corner of the world she had disappeared to - but it was Calla with her large blue eyes and tawny face. Her hair was different than he remembered, and he tugged on an unruly strand with a grin before pulling his sister into a hug.

"So you've returned," he rested his chin atop her head before kissing her cheek, "Come in."

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am

(---)

Hoity-toity is wotd. xP

Calla had only really been in touch with Weaver since they had come to Salsola. She wanted her brother, like her, to find his own path and he had done just as well as she and Weaver had in his rise to the top of Salsola. A Faction's apprentice, even at the base level of the faction, was something to be proud of and as a sibling, it offered her an overabundance of joy but also the prickling iciness of envy that she had fallen during her time away from her stall.

With the threat of sickness passed and the covert decision to rise to where she needed to be after such news as the dismantling of the Scepter rank, she needed him more than ever.

She didn't want their relationship to simply be defined by her only coming to him when she needed something, though, even though that was how things sometimes turned out to be. While they had grown apart in the most recent months, before she had felt that she could trust Brocade with almost anything. After all, he had been there for her when she had wanted to strike out on her own like her siblings. He had given her the chance to become something in a place where her own interests had sparked to life this new witch of the coven.

The Arbiter was high of rank and had been both at the Outpost and here before, even if she had fallen from her spot as apprentice for the position she had now. She had deserved that after being all hoity-toity about her resolve the first time she had made attempt at rising to such heights.

His greeting was warmth imbibed and the kiss at her cheek was well met with one against his own, only the tip of her nose in practice as both Salsola practice and their relationship as siblings dictated. She was quick to embrace her brother and quick to squeeze at him a moment and then release him all the same. "I know it's rather candid of me, but I have a request, brother," she made clear as she made movement to follow him into his home shortly behind.

"Two, actually," she aired after they settled wherever they needed to be.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Dread

POSTED: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:47 pm

”How is Hyacinth?” The Silveue (the only one of them to take their mothers name) had always been colder than the other siblings, but Brocade had found a sliver of similarity in their tiny dug out cabin in Millstone Village. He found that he respected his sister’s decision to move to the Outpost in the wake of The Five – though he missed her presence in his life. There were others here now, a new generation of Valentines who would blossom and grow in the shadow of the Thistle Kingdom.

He beckoned her into the room and gestured at a lopsided sofa that stood in the centre of the living space – covered in loose fabric and furs.

”How are you?” He rumbled softly, settling himself amongst the furs so that he could lean casually against a long arm, ”It has been too long.” He thought of the time he had spent with Julius and Helena – the wife and child that made up a part of Callas nuclear family. It was still strange to him that she lay claim to so many – and sometimes he wondered if it was in part due to the magic she claimed to have known.

Magic was dangerous. Magic was not real.

The soldier clicked his teeth, ”Of course Calla, what is it?”

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:09 am

(---)

ooc goes here

For the most part, she had offered her blood and time to Salsola in bringing about a name for her family here. Brocade had done the same but in a different manner. She was not as surprised as she might have been a while ago that he was the first to bring up their sister in the Outpost, though Calla was effortlessly quick in shaking her head. "I didn't see much of her there. I was in my quarters most of the time I was there. Chester told me, though, that the family was well. Hyacinth and your nephew, Julius," Calla offered with a small nod shortly thereafter.

"You have to understand that I was in a bit of a crisis when I left," she explained before he pointed out his sofa and she quietly moved to take her seat on it, lifting her fur's coattail so that she didn't sit on it in the process... less room for her tail.

"I'm better now that I'm home," she started the moment she sat back down. "Not as sick as I was, though the urges are still there and sometimes, more than not, I find myself hungering for more." She curled her hands in her lap, her thumbs twiddling over one another as she spoke. "The others are doing just as well. Helena's pregnant, you know," she said with a small lift to her voice. "I know her children aren't exactly blood but they are still my children as well," she added. She paused to look Brocade over, noting the momentary click of his teeth before she cleared her throat. "How are you, brother? Have you still not found anyone to share.." she lifted an arm, pointing out the rest of the room, "this with?"

Of course she wanted nieces and nephews. Even though she, herself, wasn't the proudest example of what a mother should have, could have been. Definitely an example, in some cases, of her upbringing. To be truthful, she wanted to keep some of her interests close at heart, to be silent in regards to the supposed route she had chosen to follow since her desire to be a Scepter had fallen short with Elphaba's rise in power. She was sure her sister-in-arms hadn't done it on purpose, to spite her path through Salsola's ranks, though it had set Calla back grievously.

"You're in such a position within Salsola proper that your prowess when it comes to defending yourself or others is a great boon, Brocade. I know very little when it comes to defending myself. Most of what I do know is feral and uncouth for a woman such as I." Though Hyacinth would disagree, she was sure. "I was hoping you could show me how to fight.. How to stick up for myself in case something happened.. happens."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Dread

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Brocade had only been to The Out Post a few times – to gather items that The Lord Commander had asked of him and to check in with his dark-furred sister. More often than not it was more fortuitous for him to stay in The Kingdom, as a member of the Milite he considered it important for him to stay within the territory. Salsola had been lucky to have this time of peace, but a soldier knew that it never lasted for long.

Salsola had enemies out in the world, and they were likely to return one day.

He made a sound in his throat, propping his elbow on a creaking arm of the couch. ”A crisis?” He murmured the word softly, ”You could have come to me you know.” Brocade caught his sisters eye, the pristine blue sharp and bright against her tawny face. He had so many questions for her, about why she had needed to leave, about how she had fallen in love with not one, but two mates – and what having children was really like.

He shrugged his shoulders, ”No.” His brows cinched together, ”I am dedicated to The Kingdom, to making sure we are all safe.” He drummed his fingers against the tattered fabric of his couch, ”There will be time for love later.”

He thought of Elphaba, of Etoile and felt his gut tighten with longing.

”Of course Calla, whatever you need.” He squeezed her hand before settling back into the furs, ”When would you like to start?”

Again he frowned, ”What do you think could happen?”

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 pm

(---)

ooc goes here

She knew that Brocade's position among the Faction ranks garnered him more responsibility that she could honestly comprehend. She knew there would come a time when she, too, ascended the rank she now stood within to join her brother and, with time, her other family members in the Faction tier once more and she would do so with all the flourish that she had shown in her first few months of being a member of Salsola's Thistle Kingdom and a witch among its peoples. She had momentarily forgotten that details of her absence had not been made public aside from the whispered words of her own immediate family members.

He did not know of her struggles with poppy, with mushrooms or alcohol. He did not know how her muscles ached and strained for weeks after she had come off of it and still did from time to time when the sickness and desire for it overtook all else. He didn't know how much she had struggled to turn her plants over to Salsola's storage when she had come home to find them in her garden among other plants that had lessened her strain in the recent months before her departure to the Outpost. He knew only that she had gone and that there was reason for it other than trade ventures, since she had also fallen from a Sanctus apprentice to an Arbiter by the time she had come back.

"I couldn't," she said in a curt reply, her arms folding over her chest apprehensively. "It was an embarrassment I don't wish to relive," she recounted with a small sigh as he caught her gaze which made her turn hers momentarily from his own to hide her embellishment of the account in and of itself.

"Things are different now, though." Julius wasn't in the house. "I have my family, my mates and children. Helena's and my own."

When his shoulders shrugged and he pushed away the thoughts of love that she had put in his mind's eye, she couldn't help but nod in agreement to the route he had chosen. Of course she wanted nieces and nephews to spoil, despite not being a completely coherent parent of her own children. "Could we start now? This very instant? I know we've just sat down but I'm very excited." It was there, written in her voice. But also the momentary fear that he thought some was wrong had her shaking her head. "I can never be sure. Even the fates don't know, but the Goddess does things in her own time and our thoughts are limited in comparison to hers."

Salsola
The Arbiter
Dread

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Brocade believed deep in his heart that Salsola was to become the launching place for their family name. Calla and Hyacinth had both come to The Kingdom with the intention of forgetting Ame Rouge and the marks it had left upon them. The Five had come for Hyacinth despite her rise; had come to claim her and make her an unwilling wife. Brocade had fled his homeland in seek of something more in the wake of killing his best friend.

Salsola was a home for run aways, for thieves and quiet ambitious people – and Brocade had come and silently watched for months and months… until the need to join the game had become too much.

He had met Elphaba and something in him had changed. Sometimes he wasn’t sure if he strove for greatness for himself or to prove to her that he could invoke change. He had taught her how to wield her staff, had proven time and time again that he was loyal to not only the Kingdom but to her Crown. Calla crossed her arms as she considered her words, and Brocade did not hasten her to find them – and instead looked stoically upon his tawny sister.

She was thinner than he remembered, and when she asked to start right away it took him a moment to answer. He wondered about what had happened to her, how the quiet girl he remembered had found the poppy in a land of thistles and thorns.

He wondered why it was that both she and her wife had come to seek him out so close together. Helena had summoned him to The Arena with a roughly hewn wish – that he would teach her how to protect herself from anything out there that would wish her harm. Helena had been vague, just as his sister was now – and he couldn’t help the way his brows came together with concern.

Had something happened to them both?

”As you wish,” He rolled his scarred shoulders, ”We will begin today.”

He rose slowly, glancing behind him with a flick of his tail. "I taught Hyacinth how to use a bow. You seem more the type to slash with a dagger than prepare a bow." He smiled and offered her his hand to pull her to her feet, "If you wait outside I will gather the necessary items." He headed to his cupboard and began pulling items from them to pile in his hands. There were wraps and bandages (just in case) and a leather sheath that held the dagger that long ago Dirge had given to him.

He wondered if Calla would recognize it.

"I will teach you what I can to protect yourself and your family."

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

Salsola