don't get caught on my edges

POSTED: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 pm

pump your veins with gushing gold

When had this started?

It was a slow and terrible change, he could see it starting - examining in the low light of dusk as dying sun spilled in through the window and highlighted halos on his gold shoulders, curtains only halfway drawn. No one came around, anyway.

Steer clear of this place, he had expected they said; perhaps Calla's tongue, hardly curbed, had warned the others of a monster before she had left. Solace had gone, too, chasing after his brother, no doubt.

It was awful lonely.

The white dog had taken to visiting, unprompted, and Julius put up the front of disdain, of hatred and frustration at unsolicited company, though maybe Avault could feel it in the way those palms gripped a little to tight to the meat of his shoulders, the hesitation before each shove to cast him out, that Julius had, in fact, wanted him to stay. He didn't have anyone else.

He didn't need anyone else.

Sometimes, though, he could feel ghostly eyes on him, and hugged himself in his little room, passing over going to his lessons in favor of sitting, isolated, in his home, going over the wealth he was slowly accumulating from traders and merchants, by either scrounging a purchase, or outright taking them when they were distracted.

But no amount of gold, no necklace or jewel, could cover what was happening to him.

Fingers skimmed over the way his cheekbones were starting to poke through the tender veil of skin of his face, and he watched how tired his eyes traced those features over and over in his mirror. He was slowly losing his luster, he supposed - as though it had gone with his friend when Solace had fled north. Thin, spidery fingers loosed the buttons of his shirt to look over how his body had twisted, looked so wrong. When had he gotten so thin? Beyond the realm of his natural beauty, this was something stark, and bleak. He curled sideways to look at the blades of his shoulders, like wings beneath his skin, and he traced a finger along the line one of those blades carved there, only to be startled when hair came away, unbidden, with his fingertips.

It was sparse, but jarring, and Julius stared to the follicles as they fell from the pads of his digits with a woeful, trembling gaze. The knock at his door made the Valentine boy jump somewhat, and clear his throat, covering himself up once more and blinking away the dewy shock from his eyes and heading to his door.

"I've already told you, Avault, I don't want--" his words died in his throat as he threw the door open, the stormy look on his pointed features staggered a moment with a perplexed quirk of his brow, before he closed his mouth again and took a step back somewhat, suspiciously studying the figure that filled out his doorway. "Chester?"

i'm the king of everything & oh my tongue is a weapon | [wc — --] template by hilli
no I ain't gonna be here too long
we've become so good at fooling all
Salsola
Merchant Apprentice
Despi
Luperci Collettore

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:03 am

OOC goes here

Chester could not say that he had not enjoyed his time away from Salsola Proper. He had met new people and only had to deal with sometimes going back to his mother's tent to make sure that she was okay and to bring her some food. He was learning from the merchants that lived at the Outpost, and while he had been secluded enough to not really make any friends his age, he still slithered around and watched those who were his age. Chester was shy towards the familiars that were his age, and often shied away from interactions with them. He didn't know why he did it, but he did and ended up in boring conversations with adults that were much more experienced than him, or being roped into something physically demanding that was just as boring.

A Phantom of a smell was what had caught him off-guard one day. It was not the normal scent of his father, nor his other mother, or older siblings, but it was the smell of his biological brother, Julius. It smelt different than normal, and he didn't understand at first that it was Julius but after he had smelt it around a few times, he took it upon himself to deflect from whatever someone had been asking of him to follow the scent of his slithering brother. Once Chester found the secluded cabin of the smaller of the two brothers, it was over. Chester had spent the last few nights watching the other. This night had been no different either, though he had stopped by and dropped off some food to his mother, and then brought a basket of his own food that he could share with his stupid brother.

Chester easily came upon the cabin and looked in through window to see the male disrobing. Chester had not particularly paid much attention to Julius' thinness, but he did see the jaunt look over his cheeks that gave the boy a sunken look over a healthy chub that Chester had. When his power blue eyes saw the extent of his starvation, Chester started to grow a bit angry. He choked it down before he moved towards the door and just about knocked on the door when the other had rushed it.

Julius started to yell and the moment he did, the rust male felt his dark ears pull back on his blonde and ginger crown. When Julius and his thin frame recognized who he was, Chester felt tears well up in his eyes as he looked down at his smaller sibling. He shoved the basket towards Julius. You need to eat, you jerk. the words slipped past his maw without much thought and he braced himself for a clawed smack to come across his face.

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:22 am

What do you want, he had started to think, sharp and accusing and distancing, as he always had been with Chester. As he always could be with Chester, but before he could speak, he looked at the brittle, icy frustration that frosted over and thawed at the surface of those powdery blue eyes - soft, round, dumb, like a lamb. He always did have this gentle look to his face, and Julius felt infinitely bitter over it - poets could not have composed the sad look he wore better than how he wore it.

Those ears had folded back into his hair, and Julius's jaws worked around soundless words as he simply grasped the basket that was so abruptly shoved into his palms and against his hollowed gut; Chester spoke quick, curt and straightforward, and it was as though he had been struck dumb.

Had he known? How long had his brother been lurking, watching, examining?

And he had been so selfless to approach, to push a basket into the little dragon's fingers despite how his stomach didn't tingle with the pain of hunger. Lips drew thin, and they trembled a moment as he watched his weepy brother - the dumb, sweet, idiot thing - and he pushed the basket aside as he watched feet shuffle. Frightened that he would leave, fingers pushed aside the basket onto a table, and fingers cinched the larger Valentine's shoulders in a tight grip. There was bracing fear there, he saw it in the darting gaze, the slant of those ears, and he felt his jaw tremble a little, his face an unreadable mask caught somewhere between anger and grief, before he pulled Chester into his space and in turn, crowded his sibling's, his face burying into a shoulder. A breath shuddered from him, unwittingly held, before he realized he was quietly and pathetically sobbing against his brother, choking on something he couldn't say.

ooc stuff here | [wc — --] template by hilli
Salsola
Merchant Apprentice
Despi
Luperci Collettore

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 am

OOC goes here

Chester's eyes welled up with anger and sadness as he looked upon his smaller brother. They were there to care for each other, and Chester didn't understand why Julius fought so hard against their family. Chester knew that he was liked more than Julius, but he also couldn't blame the others for ousting the youth because of the way he acted. He was greedy, spiteful, violent - where their father and siblings had been less so. Julius had a fierceness, an anger that could not be calmed by love, only potions that quelled the rage of the dragon that nestled in the chest of the youthful coyote.

Chester had been the opposite of this. Calm, happy, dumb as Julius had called him. Innocent is what his parents called him. He had overheard Calla calling Chester too pure for Salsola, and Chester didn't understand what that meant, nor did he find it in his heart to care much about it. Chester did not like to worry, and when he did it was painfully obvious. This testament of bringing food to Julius had been a sign of his worry, and his affection for his litter mate, even though Julius had - more than once - beat Chester up for such trivial things. Chester had been glad to get away from Salsola proper to get away from his jealous sibling and to get away from the beatings that had been so common in their youth. Now that Julius was here, it all seemed pointless - though had been noted that Julius had kept his arrival a secret and made sure to keep away from his family. This last instance had probably had to do with the conflict between Julius and Calla for sure, he thought though.

Bright eyes of soft blues, so different than both of his parents, made their eyes roam over the frame, the small movements of the other. Chester tensed as Julius pushed the basket aside and made a motion towards him. His ears that had momentarily drawn forward had flattened against his head again and he felt his hands grip into fists - it was not as though that he would use them - and when his brother pulled him close, a small gasp came from his maw. Arms that had once struck him had now wrapped around him as if they had loved him, they needed him. Chester let out a whine as his own arms had come around the smaller brother, a boy who was so painfully a coyote that it made Chester look strange to be his full brother.

The tears came down his own face as he hugged his brother. You're so stupid. Why are you doing this? he asked, with a painful innocence in his tone as his cream hand rose to pet Julius' dark raven hair.

POSTED: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Oh, how sweet, how gentle, how timid, his giant brother had been - the tender-flesh sheep strayed once more into the little dragon's claws and sought out the withered little bloom of compassion that dried out, neglected, that Julius must've somehow possessed. How utterly innocent, how entirely sheltered - naive.

Don't look at me, that crushing hold warned and threatened, but Julius fit so nicely in that embrace, and the noise that came out was a soft and strangled on a sob. Chester's arms had circled him, pale fingers sifting into inky hair and shimmering through the strands like slivers of starlight.

"I don't know," Julius croaked, and felt the beginning thrums of a headahce pull inward at his temples, storming behind his eyes and instead prompting him to squeeze them shut. "She cursed me," he concluded - "Mother-- Calla's cursed me."

Long, raven strands fell away and tangled into Chester's fingers, and the tips of claws poked harmless divots against the flat planes of his brother's broad shoulders.

"Why?" Why you? Calla's favor had always been evident, and it twisted the blade. "Why did you come here?"

ooc stuff here | [wc — --] template by hilli
Salsola
Merchant Apprentice
Despi
Luperci Collettore

POSTED: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 pm

OOC: Here I am a year later WC: 404

His big brother was so stupid. Beautiful, intelligent even, but so painfully stupid in the eyes of the rust colored male. He tortured himself because of the non-acceptance of their mother, and while Chester could not particularly understand what it was like to be outright rejected by his parents, he could understand that it must have been painful, and maybe that was why Julius acted the way that he did. Chester found it to be unacceptable that his brother would do this to himself, and this was why Chester brought him food. He also chalked this behavior up to Julius being lax in his training and being a lousy hunter, but that was besides the point. Chester knew that Julius was starved not only physically, but emotionally.

Chester hated how much Julius needed him. He hated how much Julius bullied him, how much he was rejected from the family. It hurt him too, to see Julius out there, alone. Chester pet his brother as if he was a cat, and he whined along with Julius as the tears fell down both of their faces. Julius cursed their mother, telling him that this was all Calla's fault, and Chester did not defend her. He loved his parents, his mothers and father equally, but could they not see how much pain they were bringing Julius by not accepting him into their loving paws? Chester both blamed them, and did not. He did not blame them because Julius was an asshole.

The question of why he had come here made Chester stop petting his brother and pull the boy back to make him look up into his baby blue eyes. Once their eyes caught, Chester leaned in closer, so close that he could have kissed the other with little problem. Because I love you, you jerk. I hate to see you hurting so much, and I miss you. he shouldn't have told the other these words, he shouldn't have cared so much for his brother, that the abuse that the boy put him through was "okay" because he was unloved by all others who came across him. Chester sighed lightly as he looked at his brother in his ocean eyes. Don't let anyone tell you that you are unloved, because I love you, and I'll never stop loving you. he told his brother with a loving whine passing his lips afterwards.

Canon