the companionable ills

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:11 pm

OOC: All Welcome! Foredated to the ~22nd ish? Merari grumps while babysitting her little brother. Someone can come gripe about the decision to reduce the territory or ask why Vici isn't with her kid? ;O

IC:

Insects droned lazily in the muggy air. As if exhausted from the howling gales of weeks past, the sky was still, with nary a breeze to stir the green leaves overhead. Only the pools of water that dotted the forest provided any relief, and most of these were warm, stagnant, brown. Even the mud seemed warm as it squelched between Merari’s toes.

Meanwhile, Rhodes – still a tiny thing who resembled a fuzzy potato more than a puppy – hardly seemed bothered by the heat or noise. He was more intrigued by the smells around him, and on his stubby legs he toddled everywhere to investigate.

Watching him out of the corner of her eye, Rari idly drew in the mud with a stick. Her expression dark like the brooding clouds, she made tally marks and mouthed numbers to herself. Though the Fera kept better tabs on the number of livestock than the coyotes – for such broad things were not her forte – she didn’t like the numbers she came up with. More and more warriors fell ill or vanished altogether, and so her mother the Aquila had ordered the clan to reduce their territory. It hardly seemed like enough land to keep themselves fed.

Rhodes leaned over a murky puddle, sniffing. Without hardly looking up, Merari flipped the stick out in front of his chest, pushing him back with it. When he tried to mouth the stick, she invited him over with gentle coos, and once she had pulled her baby brother into her lap untied her waterskin. She poured some clear water into her hand for him, and he messily slurped it up, little tail wagging.

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm

It was unlike him to languish in despair but that's what he was doing with most of his days. He could see the shrinking of the clan to go with the shrinking of the territory. He wandered the new borders and saw off in distances where the skull topped poles were desolate and forgotten. If he had held the energy he might have moved them inwards but he could barely bring himself to care of such things.

The little boy had been too young and precious and his tiny eyes barely opened and for instances John had been younger again and staring down at Walmart as she took her first gasping breaths. He shook his head and moved onwards, gangly lupus form carrying him over boggy ground that termed with biting flies and mosquitos.

He came across Merari and the second small boy. He trotted forwards his tail wagging lowly and yapped a greeting,

"Where's your mother today." His voice was quiet and rasping and he snuffled towards Rhodes with a tired smile.
The Cartel
El Burro
Jace
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Her uncle’s yap greeted her, and at once Rhodes spilled out of her arms and scampered toward him, clumsy with toddler proportions. Mud flecked the puppy despite her best interests, something she knew Vicira would be angry about later, but Rari couldn’t find it within herself to care. She saluted John with two fingers and smiled as she watched the pup.

Her smile lessened a little when Rhodes’ immediate action was to rear up, bracing his paws on John’s chest, and begin licking and nipping at his mouth to encourage him to regurgitate food. Even though he no longer had to share his mother’s milk, he was still a hungry thing.

She shrugged at the man’s question. “Dunno really. She asked Meemaw to watch him, but the old lady’s tired—doesn’t need t’ deal with that shit.” She went back to drawing in the mud with her stick, making a round body with a long snout. “She’s probably tryina track the horses. Loads of ‘em are past the new borders t’ find enough food, and she doesn’t want poachers at ‘em.”

Like horses mattered when the clan was suffering. They should be capturing and eating the beasts.

Sighing, she dropped the stick and wordlessly asked if Rhodes was bothering John, tipping her head toward the boy with brows raised. After a minute, she asked tiredly, “What you been up to?”

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Johnathan Winthrop

ooc

A soothing balm to his old feeling soul, the little boy came toddling towards him on legs that were not quite sure. John even managed to muster the energy to stiffen his legs and mock challenge the tiny boy. Rhodes was too interested in the food he could provide though to engage in his games.

His stomach heaved and brought up his last meal. It was a meager offering he had to give, a few scraps of meat that the eager boy gulped down happily, whining for more as soon as it was gone.

John flopped down into the dirt nearby to her, observing curiously the figure she was drawing. His muzzle wrinkled and he made a disparaging noise in his throat,

"We should be eating the damn things. Good food there." His mouth filled with saliva of its own accord and he licked the little boy full on the head as Rhodes snapped at his nose in play. Far from bothering him, John had stars in his eyes for little Rhodes, remembering a time when things had been better. The smile was soft, fond and indulgent, Johnathan didn't much smile these days except around the little boys.. boy.

"Trynna catch something. I got a bunch of snares up in the rocky land but a cats been fu.. grabbing the catches before I can get there." He censored himself for the boy's sake.

"He reminds me of my daughter when she was small." A nudge of his large, brick-filled head sent Rhodes tumbling with delight.

That I must bow so low
The Cartel
El Burro
Jace
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 am

OOC: We can wrap this up for sure -- feel free to even fade it out with your post if you want! I know it's old, but I did want to at least address the Walmart thing. <3

IC:

A small slurry of regurgitated meat splatted onto the dirt, and Rhodes, tail wagging, wolfed this down happily. He returned to begging soon after, but John had nothing left to give him, flopping down on his belly and nudging the puppy affectionately.

"One would be enough to feed all of us for days," Merari agreed. She stretched her legs out and watched her baby brother nip at their uncle playfully, little vibratto growls punctuating each hop and snap of his milk teeth. "Reckon she wants to keep 'em around so we have some wealth when we get past this."

If they got past this. Her frown was pessimistic, but she shook her head and listened to John's lament about his own kills. Mention of another child in the man's life made her prick her ears, and she reached out to pet Rhodes as he scampered toward her, preparing himself to make another charge against John after his tumble.

"I didn't know you had a daughter,"
Merari said.

POSTED: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Johnathan Winthrop

ooc

His brows drew together, what use was wealth if they were all starved to death. The boy helped pull his mind away from such things. He could hope that things would be okay, for all the good it would do them, for all hopes and wishes would fill their bellies.

John lowered his head and bared his teeth at the youngster, letting a deep playful growl roll from between the pearly whites.

"Yeah.. she's back where I came from. She.. didn't want to come with me." His expression turned tense and strained and he didn't elaborate further.

"Her name's Walmart." He shrugged a shoulder, and then hissed in pain as Rhodes dug needle sharp teeth into his skin. Another bump of his head sent the puppy sprawling again, John laughed.

That I must bow so low
The Cartel
El Burro
Jace
Luperci

Dead Topics