bottle me up

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:29 am

He spun the empty bottle lazily - his eyes darting across its smooth lines as if it meant something. Each time he spun the thing it would gesture back out into the trees as if to tease him. She is out there, it seemed to scream - and it was all he could hear.

It was strange how his feelings had changed, for in Etoiles absence he felt himself pining for her - the chill in his cabin unwanted and lonely. He had taken her companionship for granted, had used her as a means to distract himself from decisions he still was too afraid to let his heart dwell on.

Again the bottle spun, and again it pointed to the forest.

The soldier hissed through his teeth and spun it again, the glass rattling against the creaky porch. He had more visitors now - Kjell appeared almost every morning with a mouthful of questions and an overeager glint to his eyes. He saw so much of Hyacinth in him that it made his heart ache.

He knew it would be only a matter of time before the others joined him - soon Salsola would be a place for the new generation.

He rumbled and stood, ignoring the swinging bottle as he gazed out into the clearing around his home.

Salsola
Shield Apprentice
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm

(220)

*steals this*

It was the sound of something spinning that drew Solace in. He found the fabled Kingdom, for all its stories and glory, to be a rather quiet place. The territory was comprised of dense forests and vast marshlands, all of which were filled with dead air aside from a bird's call.

The silence tempered his mind and left him uneasy after having spent his short life in constant conversation and moving bodies. And so he was attracted to anything unnatural that broke the silence, for it was familiar, in a way.

A scent of another greeted his senses as he approached closer to the sound's origins. It was largely new but that mattered little to him. In his Optime form he stepped around silently, practically stalking, until the cabin came into his sights.

The ordinary appearance left Solace feeling uninspired; he was hoping for something interesting, or at least something more compelling than a Family member making a ruckus. But he was still curious.

Dropping all pretense, Solace stopped trying to be so sneaky and sauntered around the house to the porch. There he saw a scarred man and a spinning bottle, presumably set in motion by the man himself. "What're you doing?" he asked boldly, taking no care to introduce himself first. He was never a boy of manners.

shaking the wings of their terrible youths
Salsola
Bambino
Shannah

FROM EDEN

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:23 pm

There were children everywhere now in Salsola. It was as if overnight the spring had caught up to them, their carefully cultivated blooms relinquishing wild and curious children who traipsed often and loudly through The Ruins. Kjell had been the first to appear, and there had been others - other quiet children that Brocade had never bothered to introduce himself to. In the wake of Etoiles disappearance he felt listless and alone - the cabin stark and empty.

He glanced toward it and all he could see were his own imaginary children dancing between the wooden beams - silent as ghosts.

He had been so close.

And now there was nothing.

The bottle spun and spun - again, trees. The dark wood heaved as if alive, tempted to wakefulness by a cool breeze that rippled through the long limbed boughs. The breeze brought with it a new scent and Brocade sat up, snarling softly as he realized he was not alone. "Who is there?" He called sternly, allowing his expression to soften slightly at the youthful face that peered at him through the railings of his porch.

It was a child he hadn't seen - but there was something familiar about the slanting eyes and curious mouth. Brocade chuffed a greeting and leaned back in his chair, "Come on then, come here," He gestured with his nose, "I have not seen you before - who's child are you?' His voice had a tired lilt to it, as if he had experienced too much too fast - and again the bottle spun round and round.

As the boy came up the steps Brocade looked out into the trees, "I'm looking for someone. I thought maybe the bottle would point me in the right direction." He made a humming sound in his throat, "You try."

Salsola
Shield Apprentice
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 am

(261)

Solace wanted to feel slighted that the man didn't give him the respect to ask for his own name instead of his family's. But he knew well enough that his name mattered little in the schemes that upheld Salsola. So instead of frowning his face twisted into a mirthful smile, sharp and arrogant and distinctively boyish.

"I'm a son of Plague D'Angelo and Quicksilver Lykoi, daughter of the Crone," he introduced with a flare, pressing his hand against his chest. He never met his grandfather yet, but he knew how very important he was. This made him important too, by default, and the man needed to know this. He also knew how deep the D'Angelo blood ran in the veins of this Kingdom, a name built into its bones. "I'm Solace D'Angelo."

The man spun the bottle again and explained himself, but that didn't clear up any confusion for Solace. He narrowed his eyes at the rotating piece of glass and wondered if this was some form of witchery. It definitely wasn't one his mothers were versed in. When he offered for him to try, the boy openly scoffed.

"If you want to look for someone, you ought to use your eyes instead of spinning bottles," he said, but nevertheless stepped up onto the porch to give the bottle a spin himself. He grabbed the glass between his pale fingers and flicked his wrist. He watched as the bottle spun, the direction of its neck undetermined.

"Who's child are you?" Solace echoed, glancing up at the man with a teasing grin.

Salsola
Bambino
Shannah

FROM EDEN

POSTED: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 am

Brocade made a sound in his throat as Solace introduced himself, ”Another d’Angelo,” He offered a soft smile as the bottle spun, ”Your family is well known here.” And it was true. There were d’Angelos in every corner of the territory, and Brocade could remember Hyacinth introducing him to Bane and Basilaris – two retired d’Angelos who had brought more of them into the world.

”Well met Solace,” The cub crept toward the bottle nonchalantly, and Brocade recognized the silver pelt and tawny markings – so similar to their Crone – and bobbed his head in greeting. The Crone had been a mystic man even when Brocade had lived with Hyacinth back in the days when he had first been starting out in the Kingdom – but in truth Brocade knew little of him save for the fact that he was a respected member of the Sotto Cappo. "How was the Outpost?"

His lips twerked at the boys words, ”I have gone looking.” His sigh was long between his words, ”But my search has turned up nothing.”

”I am Brocade Valentine, Apprentice to the Kingdom.” The boy was spinning the bottle between pale fingers, ”Son to Dirge and Velveteen Silevue.”

He suddenly gestured at the bottle, "See! Everytime. It always points back the same way." He pointed at the darkening trees and frowned.

Salsola
Shield Apprentice
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:25 pm

(357)

"I know," Solace said with a smile that was too self-assured for his age. His mothers had described the D'Angelo family with many words, one of which was infamous. That had piqued his interest but they never explained what that meant. Obviously it wasn't something good, but he wanted to know the details. Perhaps the distant look that Plague would get when asking about her own family kept him from pressing too hard.

But the shadows of the family were behind them when in Salsola. They were of the old blood, like the Lykoi. And he was of Eternity, too. An amalgamation of Salsola.

"The Outpost was fine—always something to do there, being near the ports." Then he huffed, not trying to disguise his frustration, "If only Salsola was the same way. It's boring here!" He felt like he didn't need to elaborate on that. This man must have known what boring was when all he was doing was spinning a bottle on his porch instead of something more exciting.

Solace's ears twitched when the man insisted that he had looked, but found nothing. The boy almost wanted to tell him to just give it up then, as callous as that was. But he thought better when he mentioned his rank and his name. That made him be quiet for a moment as he thought it over.

He blinked in surprise when he suddenly exclaimed and his eyes followed from the bottle to the trees. They were just trees, he wanted to say. Instead, Solace quipped, "Maybe your mystic bottle is broken."

Solace picked up the bottle but didn't spin it. He simply held it, tapping his fingers on the glass as he inspected it. "You must be Julius's uncle. You two have the same name," he said, as if imparting something he perceived as important onto Brocade. The two couldn't have been more different; Julius was all sharp and angled while the man was heavy and bulky.

But Brocade was family of his friend, so that made him his friend, too.

"I can help you look for whoever you're looking for. Who are they, anyway?"

Salsola
Bambino
Shannah

FROM EDEN

Salsola