summer rain on our shoulders

For Mads!

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

I can bite off more and I can chew
We may never know what I can do
Dandelion Damaichu

It was a bad day to be on the Isthmus of Chignecto.

The rain poured down in sheets, soaking Dandelion right down to the skin so that his dark coat hung off of him like an oversize jacket. The air was heavy with a sticky, unpleasant humidity. He had been out since that morning tracking a herd of deer - but when the storm rolled in and ruined the trail he abandoned the hunt, deciding to find an overhanging ledge to tuck himself under until the rain had passed. Dandy huffed quietly to himself as he prowled through the tall grass, winding his way through thick tangles of brambles. Losing the herd when he was so close was frustrating.

He paused on top of a rock, ears perking. What was that?

Maaaaahhhhh! The sound came again in the wake of a crackle of thunder, more insistent, more terrified. Maaaaahhh!

Dandy tracked the sound slowly, pausing when the cries were obscured by the sound of wind and rain. He finally cleared the tangle of trees and was met by a wide stretch of mud, disappearing off into the thin blue line of the ocean. The wolfdog's quarry, however, was much more immediate. A goat. Out here?

She was stuck up to her belly in clinging, stinking mud, and the more she struggled the more she sank, black smeared up her heaving sides.

Dandy straightened and trotted over. The goat struggled and bleated, but she couldn't retreat from his approach. He stopped just short of where the mud began - he could see broken ground where she had hit the mud unexpectedly, and floundered deeper and deeper in her confusion. It was covered with green algea and low scrub, turning the wet ground into a death trap. Dandy sat back on his haunches, watching the goat thrash and thinking hard. Moments before he had considered eating it, because he was hungry and as a loner it was rare to find a meal so easily.

Now that he was up close though? It looked like some of the goats he had helped herd before, not like the shaggy wild things that lived up on the rocky cliffs. He was moved a little by pity - Dandy loved those goats, loved watching over them and keeping them safe - and partly by the realization that if he rescued it there was no reason he couldn't keep it. It might be nice to have some company out here, while he looked for a place to stay. Maybe the goat would like that too? Surely it didn't like being by itself any more than he did.

First matters were first: How did he get it out of the mud without getting stuck himself? Even in full Optime form his arms weren't that long...

Word Count: [469] Form: Lupus Date: 10/07/18 Time: 2:00pm

Table by Kitty. Edits by Nuki.

Last edited by Dandelion Damaichu on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Wolfdog
Laika
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Word Count → 000 :: *sunglasses emoji*

The goat was thus far more hassle than she was worth. Her constant attempts to disappear somewhere or clamber up on things she ought not to be clambering up on was enough to give the hybrid a heart condition. Usually, he would've been just a little pissed, but considering the torrential rain and slick mud, the Dane was now almost frantic.

Damn. If he couldn't look after an adventurous goat, how was he going to cope with adventurous children?

Soon enough he was on the back of his trusty mount, trotting through the narrow strip of land with ghostly eyes surveying every inch of the horizon. As nimble as he was, the shaggy-coated stallion still had some difficulties staying upright. Mud clung to his fetlocks and threatened to stick him fast to the ground, but solid muscles fought against it and the pair continued moving across the landscape.

Cursing wildly under his breath, he called out for the goat. This was probably a useless effort for he had no idea whether the goat had any understanding of what her name was but at least it felt useful. The rain still clattered down onto the sodden earth, soaking whatever lay unprotected. Mads was, thankfully, largely unaffected by the sour weather. A thick arctic coat kept him more or less warm in most downfalls at this instances was no different.

Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Vida
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Dandelion Damaichu

In the time that Mads was wandering in the rain, Dandy had been making himself busy. It took a while to figure out a way to save the goat from her watery grave, but eventually Dandy hit upon a solution: between the "shore" and the goat he set out a bunch of young saplings woven roughly together and topped with brush. It wasn't pretty, but it held up even his bulky frame.

It took a little less time to braid together some leather strips into a makeshift rope and wind it around his upper arm. He didn't hear the rider calling over the wind and rain, if he even would have with his intense focus.

He shushed the goat, bracing his hind legs against the platform and doing his best wrap his arms around the struggling goat. But no matter how he tugged, he couldn't get her loose. There was little leverage to be had, and her panicked wiggling did little to help. He sat back and sighed, rubbing a hand over her neck and muttering gentling words under his breath. She rolled her eyes and bleated, a more exhausted sound than when he started. Poor girl. How was he gonna get her out?

Word Count: [204] Form: Optime Date: 10/07/18 Time: 2:00pm

Loners
Wolfdog
Laika
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Curse words made up the majority of his internal monologue as he urged the stallion onwards, though eventually, he felt the mount slow below him and the pair slowed to a panicked stumbling walk. They were nearing the narrowest point of the land, which was already so sodden now it was practically flooded. Pausing on top of a low slope, the Dane took a deep breath and continued to let his ghostly eyes flicker over the coastline.

And then he spotted the dark, shadow-like figure kneeling on the damp loamy grass, and just past him...

'PRINSESSE!'

He near enough jump clear off of his horse and proceeded to scramble the hundred or so yards to come to the aid of the stupid animal he'd owned for less than a fortnight. Practically knee sliding into place behind the huge male, Mads hovered anxiously. There was no way the platform the stranger had fashion would hold both men's combined weights.

'How th' hell we gon' ge' her ou'?' Mads asked, unsure of what else to do but confide in the stranger. His words came out choppy from his lack of breath from urging the horse onwards and his accent thick from sheer panic.
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Vida
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Dandelion Damaichu

I dunno. Dandelion didn't even react to the arrival of the stranger - he was knee deep in questions, so that he didn't even react with a twitch of an ear to a crack of lightning overhead. His voice was sleepy and slow as always despite the wild weather around them, almost absent when he spoke. Looks like I ain't gonna be able to pull her out like this though. Keep slipping in the mud.

Dandelion backed off the makeshift platform and glanced at the other luperci, blinking in surprise as if surfacing from a dream. He couldn't really smell anything in all this rain, like whether or not the other wolf was from a pack or anything. He was kind of neat looking though, with curly hair and pale eyes, and shiny bits all over. Oh, hi! Do you know this goat? Maybe ya should pat her a little bit. I think she's scared of me.

It was a little sad to think she belonged to someone and Dandelion figured she did, since this guy seemed to recognize the goat. But she was really scared, and it was more important that she be calm than him getting a new little friend. Even as warm as the rain was this time of year - relatively speaking - she would be lucky if she didn't get sick after all this stress. Got any rope?

Word Count: [229] Form: Optime Date: 10/07/18 Time: 2:00pm

Loners
Wolfdog
Laika
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 am

Dark digits drummed on the sodden earth, droplets of muddy water flying into the air. The Dane's dark coat was equally as muddied, but his dark complexion hid the damage from a distance. Close up, however, the mud had visibly glued the tips of his thick double coat together. Foggy eyes flicked heavenwards as thunder broke loudly above them. In the distance, flashes of silver lit up the sky and spurred the northdog into action.

The darker wolf seemed to finally notice his presence for real, blinking at him as if he'd just materialized right in from of his very eyes. 'Mhh.' Mads answered with a soft grunt, shuffling forward a little, testing the stability of the structure the stranger had built. 'She's mine.' He should've been keeping a closer eye on her. He knew it. Damn. He was about to become a father and yet he couldn't keep track of a stupid goat. As if anything else could go wrong...

He swore in frustration in his native tongue, but he shuffled forwards as far as he dared, reaching out to tentatively pet the panicked goat. The Dane cooed softly, promising she'd be free soon, although admittedly he wasn't super confident at that point. 'Uh, yeah. There's rope wi' th' horse.' Mads didn't turn around as he spoke, contenting himself with soothing his stricken companion.
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Vida
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am

Dandelion Damaichu

Thankfully the horse in question allowed Dandy to approach, but he still spoke quiet nonsense while he searched for the rope. Better to let it know exactly where he was, so that it wouldn't spook into the storm - one lost animal was enough for tonight. Once he found it, he headed back and handed the rope to the other Luperci. Here, tie this to the goat, kay?

Once he was sure of compliance, Dandelion took a deep breath. He thought about it a little while he was looking for the rope, and now he was pretty sure he had a good idea. Even if he hated it.

Dandelion let out a sigh then waded out into the sludge, sinking deeper each step he took out into the bog. It stank like rotting plants, heavy and cloying in a way even the canine-based luperci would find unpleasant. The mud clung to his fur and clumped in his tail. He floundered his way around the goat, and settled is feet as deep as he could into the mud until he hit solid-ish ground. It was far too deep for the goat to reach, he noted in a corner of his mind. I ain't gonna be able to lift that good. Once I get her up high enough, you're gonna have to get your arms up under her to pull her out the rest of the way. Can you do that?

Word Count: [240] Form: Optime Date: 10/07/18 Time: 2:00pm

Loners
Wolfdog
Laika
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Mads all but snatched the rope from the hulking loner in his hast to rescue Prinsesse. His oddly nimbly hands fastened the rope around the goat's neck, but he faltered when he realised that he would be unable to fasten it around the goat's stomach. From the way the animal was positioned, his best hope was to fasten it around her chest and shoulders and hope she didn't manage to slip out of it as he heaved.

'Watch y' don' get stuck y'self...' he warned quietly, tying off the makeshift rope harness and giving it a few experimental tugs. 'Ah don' wanna hav' 't fish you ou' an' all...' He doubted whether he would have been able to anyway, though there was not a drastic difference in height, this stranger was still larger than he was. Fishing a goat out of a bog was a difficult enough task after all...

'Yeah, yeah, ah got i'...' he said, nodding his head rapidly and positioning himself ready to grasp the goat.
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Vida
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Dandelion Damaichu

Kay! Dandelion put one arm against the goat's chest and hooked the other under her hindquarters, giving himself some small, precious amount of leverage.Here we go! One, Two, THREE!

He braced his legs far apart, digging his hind claws into the gritty sand and roots that formed the base of the marsh. The goat wasn't all that heavy, but she was slick with mud and that made lifting anything difficult. Fortunately their combined strength was enough - she lifted out of the mud with a noisy squelch and much terrified bleating, and immediately attempted to run her owner down after a badly timed burst of lighting.

Dandelion, however, was too busy with his own problems to make sure the goat didn't escape. Unlike the goat his legs were pretty long, but he still had to flounder his way out. By the time he managed to get out he had tripped twice, and was covered from head to toe slime.

Gross. He muttered, holding his arms out from his sides as if it would keep the mud on his arms from rubbing on his already filthy pelt.

Word Count: [240] Form: Optime Date: 10/07/18 Time: 2:00pm

Loners
Wolfdog
Laika
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:23 pm

There was a brief countdown, a one, two, three, before Dandy heaved the goat at high as he could. With a sickly squelch, the corded man dug his hands into the thin gap below the goat that his new friend had afforded him and together they heaved again. After a few moments, moments that felt like the stretched on forever, the quagmire relinquished its grip and with a dull splash, both men hit the sodden floor. Prinsesse flew from Dandy's mud coated arms, throwing herself at Mads with blind panic.

He didn't rise immediately from his position on the earth, spread open on his back with a traumatised goat perched on his chest like a cat. When he did, it was a slow incline into a sitting position, allowing the nanny goat to slide almost drunkenly onto his lap. Swearing to himself, in his home tongue as he was so prone to, he took a few moments to process what had just happened. Eventually, with a tired sigh, he thanked the stranger. 'Man, ahm so glad y' 'were 'ere.'

Mads turned his head backwards, spying the flash of chestnut on the horizon. 'There's drink in tha' bag over there... Help y'self...'
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Vida
Luperci

Sticks and Stones