Baby's got you down

P. Dreyma

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 pm

(---)

OOC text

She was ashamed to say that it had been a short while since she had approached Dreyma or since she had come to see the puppies. Life got in the way like that, sometimes, and she was working harder on herself as a result of the most recent weeks, spending more time with the Reine than she had spent with Silvano when he had been King.

The two were friends, or at least what came right before friends, and that was pleasant for a change since she had, had much on her mind the last few months in total. All that seriousness, all the wallowing, had turned as of recently for the better, melting away from her so that the real her, the one that had been there before all that, could make a comeback.

The sun was shining high in the sky when she finally decided it was time. An airy breeze blew lightly at her back, brushing and prickling at fur that was well kept, thick and downy, definitely particularly longer than she normally wore it.

Today, she lumbered on four legs as opposed to two. It was easier to move around like this sometimes and she was used to it after spending much of her time on four legs with Dreyma, with her father and mother, and when it came to stalking the cavern that Dreyma had made a den within for herself and her puppies, there was no better form to take to squeeze through some of the smaller passage ways. Eager to see them, though, her bluish eyes washed over the mossy bottom of the cave floor and she scurried past a few of the flourishing flowers that lived in harmony under the lazed dance of sunlight that passed through cracks in the ceiling above.

She let out a small, echoing bark to announce her presence before she was even there, her large paws bringing her ever closer till she came to a stop a short ways away. After all, she wanted to make sure they were here at all before she settled in, either to wait or to enjoy their company. "Dreyma?"

Alouette Moineau

Dread
Hushabye Raven icon
The words I can't say

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 pm

The den was more crowded every day, it seemed like. The two-month-old puppies slept in a fluffy pile, one that occasionally came alive with growls and kicks. One such punt from an oversized baby paw hit Dreyma in the kidney, waking her rudely; she growled before she could stop herself, and saw two pairs of wide eyes goggling at her from the dim-lit cave.

“You should be sleeping with your father,” the black wolf scolded without real anger, dropping her head back on her paws.

Issola wagged her tail and clambered over her golden brother. “Yeah yeah!” she exclaimed, and Dreyma rolled her eyes when Oberyn took up the shouting. Despite herself, though, she had to smile.

“And to make up for lost time, you oughta kick him in his sleep. And drool in his hair. I know you loooove drooling in Daddy’s hair.”

Oberyn beamed, slobbering.

“How ‘bout that, tonight we’ll go to the hotel,” Dreyma went on, dropping her voice to a conspiratorial whisper, drawing the puppies in. They wiggled on their bellies and all but pressed their noses to hers, eyes crinkling in big grins as she described an elaborate plan. Most of it would be forgotten in a heartbeat, but until then they indulged in the cadence of her voice: warm, low, like a story.

She was smiling, too, creeping forward and nuzzling their chubby faces, when a bark echoed through the tunnel. All hell broke loose – and Dreyma wasn’t sure if it was relief or disappointment that made her sigh when they scampered out into the larger caverns, barking.

She slowly came out of the den, crossing over to the stream that trickled through the valley. Oberyn stood in the center of it, squared up, chest puffed and chin jutted forward, though when he recognized Alouette’s scent his tail wagged. Quieter in her approach, Issola smiled and circled around, her eyes missing nothing. They scampered toward their packmate with little yips, immediately begging for food with licks to the brown she-wolf’s chin.

Dreyma followed them at a distance. One ear was crooked back, evidence of uncertainty, and her smile was tight. Since her mother’s passing, she hadn’t spent much time with her younger sister figure–or maybe it had happened before that. Despite sharing Jerome as something like a father, the two females were quite different: Alou seeming to shirk their feral background for the dresses and dances of the Court, while Drey never abandoned those old ways.

She felt distant from the girl, and guilty.

“Hey Alou,” she greeted, wagging her tail and approaching to nuzzle the chestnut wolf, pleased at her four-legged form. “I’m sorry it’s been a while.”

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 pm

(---)

OOC text

She loved seeing the pups and, like before, she felt that tiny prickle of loathing at herself for going so long without seeing them before. The thought that she could have her own now, that she was old enough even, was far and distant from her mind. She didn't care for males that much right now, after what she had gone through. Plus, seeing these two grow and excel at life was purpose enough for her.

As Oberyn approached, the tiny little warrior that she expected he'd be some day, she couldn't help but stifle a small chuckle from where she stood before her attention was drawn to the much more silent approach of his sister. She found it incredibly hard to stifle the smile to perked at the corners of her maw as the pups descended upon her with little whines, yips and licks at her maw and her tongue flicked out to greet them in small little kisses of her own apologetically.

She didn't have any treats with her today. That much became readily apparent when her head rose and her gaze swept to her sister-figure. "Don't worry about it," she said with a small nod of her head, ears perking back against her skull, her maw opening in a small, shallow yawn that ended with a near whistling breath for air.

She liked to think she was a blend of the old feral ways and the new, keeping to her roots while also understanding there was sometimes a need and relieving pleasure about being able to use opposable thumbs once in a while to do what she had been taught by her parents when she wasn't with Dreyma or doing god knew what else. She still loved getting dirty, rolling around in mud and sludge but she also liked being clean, brushing her mane, dancing.

She didn't know what else to say to close the gap between Dreyma and herself but her presence was a start. After all, emotions were hard things to capture in words and, like her father, she couldn't quite gather herself to lament on the little things, though their relationship was far more than that in and of itself.

She quietly nuzzled at Dreyma with the tip of her nose as the older woman did the same before she pulled back long enough to peer insufferably at the children. "You guys are getting so big. One day you'll be bigger than us." Her gaze darted from the children to settle on Dreyma. "I wanted to see how you guys were doing. Do you need any food? I don't mind hunting to help out. I want to spend more time with Oberyn and Issolda. And with you."

Alouette Moineau

Dread
Hushabye Raven icon
The words I can't say

POSTED: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Whimpering when it became clear Alou had nothing to regurgitate for them, the puppies pulled pink tongues back into their mouths. They moved out of the way to allow Dreyma to nuzzle her sister-in-spirit, sitting and wagging their short tails. When their "aunt" glanced down at them, Oberyn lit up. I be big! he agreed, and jumped to all fours – knocking into Issola in the process and earning a quick snip.

They squabbled, but Dreyma looked them over with a frown then turned back to Alouette. No, we're good on food. Skoll hunts for them all the time, and I like feeding myself. She took all the rabbit and venison he brought her when she was pregnant, of course, but now that she was regaining her lean form, she enjoyed the freedom and independence of chasing animals through the woods and streams. She wondered if Issola and Oberyn would like hunting, too – then closed her mind down on that thought before it could carry on.

Her expression became awkward again, with half-turned ears and careful gaze. Sorry, you were just offering to help and spend time and I got blunt. She clicked her teeth at the pups before the squabbling could escalate into an all-out brawl, then glanced slyly at Alouette. We could go on a little adventure together maybe? That is, if the pups promise to behave. As it is, I don't think I can trust them not to bicker.

No no, promise, Issola piped up, while Oberyn protested, I'm being have!

Dreyma's eyes crinkled in a smile.

POSTED: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:33 am

(---)

OOC text

She was certainly apologetic she hadn't had anything to bring the pups though she hadn't been hunting yet and what meat she did have in her stomach wouldn't have been suitable for either of them. Hunting came after her visit, or during if the children and Dreyma agreed that they were ready to try so soon, though she doubted it in the mean time since she had already been turned down once when it came to bringing Dreyma and the children food.

It would have been easier to speak between them if Alouette had come clean before now, and now wasn't the time, if she hadn't settled on silence as an alternative to conversation or admittance to her feelings regarding the loner outside the Court. Of course, she thought things could be picked up and nurtured into what they were before this, before there were pups, even, to join their little fray and the adventures they got into.

It came as no surprise to Alouette when Dreyma turned down her offer, even though it could have meant hurting her feelings about not being able to do much to help in the first place. Rather than think too heavily on that, she shook her head. "No, no. I get it. You're a new mom," Alouette quickly empathized.

She knew nothing about being a mother. She relished the idea of one day having pups of her own, though she believed for all extent and purposes that she was ill equipped when it came to relationships or batting out her emotions, much less bringing up children as it seemed Dreyma was doing herself. Her iron gaze moved from the pups as they squabbled to Dreyma once more before her face lit up to the idea of adventure outside the cave, for both the dark woman on fours and the pups themselves who were probably over themselves with excitement.

The Moineau girl sat as crisply as the pups did, albeit more calmly than either of them combined, her ears primping up to attention, her tail weaving a quick snap pace behind her and Alouette offered a quick smile to the Dawnbringer woman in agreement to her proposition.

"That would be splendid."

She gave the cave a once over and then turned to the direction of the exit of the cave. "Where shall we go, hmn?"

Alouette Moineau

Dread
Hushabye Raven icon
The words I can't say

Dead Topics