Re: the night is young, so are we

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:13 am

Brocade knew little about the packs that surrounded them. He had learned a few things from the mottled girl that lived in Mistfell Veil, and the red-haired woman he had met at the Tavern down south – but as a soldier he felt best when protecting The Kingdom. He scouted as often as he could, patrolling and ensuring that the scent markers were in place. Salsola was a secretive place, and one did not boast its name when out in the Neutral Territories – but the man still felt proud of where he came from.

Sapient was quiet – a pack that he had heard nothing about during its affluent time. Now it seemed a hollow thing, quiet in the absence of its people.

Brocade opened his mouth to ask something of Kamari, but instead clamped it firmly closed as voices tinkled through the gaping doorway. Immediately the broad secui man crouched, moving into the shadows that would keep him just out of sight as the two figured appeared. There was a silver woman and jackal – each quietly making their way down the steps as they chatted with one another, oblivious to the Salsolans presence.

The Vedetto glanced at Kamari and allowed his eyes to widen slightly as they spoke, and he mouthed, ’Disbanded?’ before focusing on the names that the woman spoke to her nervous comrade.

They stood on the steps for what felt like an eternity until finally continuing on their way – their voices slowly fading into nothing. Brocade gestured with his head and the pair crept their way towards the back of the building – their ears fanning madly in case there were other Sapiens still milling about the large building. Brocade picked his way through rubble until finally sliding behind an overgrown bush that gave way to an open window.

He panted, glancing at Kamari with a raised brow.

Here it would be safe to whisper.

”So they’ve gone?” He shook his head with disbelief, ”Do you think there’s anyone left inside?”

He raised a large hind paw to scratch behind his ears, ”We could look inside – see if there is something we could bring back to The Boss.” He set his foot down quietly, ”Do you think this windows small enough for you to squeeze through?”

I figured they could try some burgling? Brocade can shift into Optime and than let himself in through a side door? Or, Kamari could get through the window and then find and alternate way for him to get in? Let me know if you would like me to change anything !:)

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 am

(+459)

Sounds like fun to me! Feel free to PP a random Sapien walking by (if you want!) before Kamari eventually coming back out from somewhere and letting him in through one of the side entrances!

It seemed Brocade was just as taken back by the unexpected news as she was. Of all things for them to come across, a pack in the midst of disbandment was not something Kamari had expected to come of their search beyond the Kingdom’s borders for Etoile. They waited in stealthy silence as the two Sapiens moved on, continuing to converse with one another about the pack’s current state of affairs and the dark one’s journey that was to start the following morning. Despite their departure from the immediate area, Kamari remained alert for any more that might be lurking about. It was clear that the two Shield Apprentices had wandered deep into once-claimed territory.

With a gesture from Brocade, the pair were on the move once more. They slunk towards the building, keeping to the shadows as they went. Their pace was ever alternating, between slow, careful steps when one or the other suspected enemy movement, to quick movements when crossing over unprotected terrain. Eventually, they took cover in a large bush beneath a conveniently open window on the lower floor. Kamari peaked from beneath the bush for any roving Sapiens, her small size allowing her to slip beneath the thick, mazework of limbs of the plant.

“Seems like they’re in the process of it,” she whispered to him, backing out from where she had crawled. She shook out her fur of the feeling of the bush’s twigs grabbing at her flesh. Cornflower blue eyes glanced up at the open window, “If they were here at this hour, there may be more within.” If it was anything like the Clan’s Mansion, there was a large likelihood that some might have taken up residence within the building. And like the two they had seen earlier, there may have been a few others still lingering about.

She smirked in the darkness to the Valentine’s suggestion. “That and news of this pack’s disbandment might please her.” She knew O’Riley would have wanted to learn of such information. Elphaba, she thought, might be more interested in a pretty trinket or other valuable to add to her collection of things.

Kamari’s gaze returned to the window in question, narrowing upon it as she tried to consider the pros and cons of such an entry. In the end, she nodded firmly. “If you hoist me up, I can slip in. I’m small enough in this form that they might mistake me for a stray fox at a glance if someone sees me.” The wonders of what shadows and darkness could do on the mind. “I’ll make a quick sweep and find a way to get you in without causing a racket.”

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Mate to Krios Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Brocade couldn’t help the smile that crept along his lips at the mention of Elphaba, though he hid it with a well positioned hand. ”All information pleases The Boss –“ He dipped his head, ”Though The Erilaz will be pleased I should think.” They were scouts, keepers of information… and though this had started as an expedition to located his lost beloved it had somehow become a treasure trove of information.

”One second.”

With a cracking sound he launched into a shift, buckling over amongst the leaves as his bones twisted and changed. There was something beautiful about the transition between forms and when he was done he shook out his pelt, ignoring the singing pain that rang along his scarred shoulder. He used his hands to wipe at his face, tugging his hair back into a knot that kept it out of his face.

When he was done he rolled his shoulders and glanced at the smaller jackal.

His voice was a rough whisper, ”Come on, I’ll hoist you.”

The beast crouched and allowed her to step into his hands, where he lifted her to the open window. For a moment she teetered there silently as they both listened for the creaking that would mean another body – but there was nothing but the whistle of wind and rustling leaves. Her nails clicked on the ledge, and a moment later she was gone – disappeared into the shadows of the once busy Estate.

Brocade stayed crouched for some time, his larger form less easily hidden – but he was careful as he picked his way along the edges of the building. He tested the set of his feet as he went, the gold-coin of his eyes hard and at attention.

”I thought I saw something…” The voice had him stiffening, and he melted into a side lane, his lips peeled back to reveal slick teeth. He crouched as a pair of wolves trotted passed, their tails flagged behind them. ”I think you’re crazy. There’s nothing there.” The one wolf-dog rested hands on hips, ”I swear I saw something.”

”This place is full of ghosts now.”

Brocade slipped away before he could be seen, casting one last look over his shoulder as the pair disappeared from view.

When he came to a side doorway he waited pressed against the stone, his hands twitching at his sides. The sound of another approach had him crouching, and he hissed softly through his teeth as the door swung inward to reveal The Emissary, her lips pulled back into a smug grin.

”What took you so long?” He smiled and resisted the urge to pat her head. He wasn’t sure if his hand would survive the action.

”There were others outside – but I didn’t see anyone else.”

They tiptoed down the hall, and he peeked into empty door way after empty door way.

”They’ve really cleared out.”

HEEHEE They can find something cool and then slip away back to SL >:]

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Lupus --> Optime (+1,001)

Up to you where they go/what they steal/if they split up or stay together! Sapient probably had a lot of booze left in the bar lounge? They could also steal something fancy from storage or something left behind in a personal room? Maybe a project-in-progress from the communal workshop? Kamari will probably scope out the library and take a book or journal since some of the Luperci-written would contain Metier/AoS-related stuff, pack history journals, etc.

She nodded, amused that she and Brocade seemed to have thought along the same lines regarding their leaders and how they’d take the information that they were to bring back. He began to shift then, and Kamari went back to peaking out through the bushes that they’d hidden behind. Brocade would be vulnerable while he was shifting, and if one of these Sapiens happened to find their hiding spot while he was mid-shift, it could have been disastrous for the Valentine.

It didn’t take him long, and she pulled back from her look out position so that they could continue on with their ever-changing mission. He held out his large hands for her to step into, and she did so as steadily as she could in her Lupus form. With his hoist, she managed to leap onto the open windowsill, and, after making a cursory glance around the dark room that it was connected to, Kamari slipped inside. She turned back around, placing her forepaws on the windowsill so that she could look down at Brocade on the other side. She whispered, “I’ll try to see if I can open that door around the side.” She gestured with her snout before disappearing back into the Estate.

Kamari trusted that Brocade would be able to hold his own until she found a way for him to get in quietly. He was large and knew how to fight, and if his placement on O’Riley and Elpbaba’s infiltration team during the last stretch of the war had meant anything, he could handle himself just fine. If the words of the silver woman had been true, the pack was in a state of disbandment anyways, so, it was unlikely that they’d be as battle-ready for a fight in the dark of the night.

The jackal hybrid peered around the room, taking a few inquisitive sniffs as her eyes carefully scrutinized the dark shadows within. It looked to be a kitchen. Still-drying herbs hung from hooks on the ceiling and along the mantel of the fireplace, and various pots and pans were strewn about on the shelves and countertops. It seemed as if someone was in the midst of picking through them, perhaps to decide which they wanted to take or leave behind for another. As she moved about the room, she could smell food still stowed away in some of the cabinets. Upon one of the countertops, she spotted a rusted knife, which she took carefully by the handle between her jaws.

Having traveled there in their Lupus forms, both Shield Apprentices were without any weaponry.

Silently, Kamari crept towards one of the open doors and peered out into the large, open room beyond it. There were two large staircases that led to a second floor and many other hallways that branched off from the area from the looks of it. Slowly, she moved further out into the room, being sure to keep her ears pricked and eyes searching for any signs of a Luperci milling about.

The room, she guessed, was the entrance area of the Estate. There were doors that—according to logic and the fact that they laid on the same wall as the window that she had snuck in through—lead out to the front of the building; likely the very same ones that the silver wolfdog and dark jackal had come out through. Taking advantage of the silence and her small figure in her Lupus form, Kamari decided to make a quick sweep of the lower floor. After all, what good would it be to break Brocade into the Estate if it was teeming with awake Sapiens still within it?

She stalked around the edges of the main hall, sending a scrutinizing gaze down its dark hallways. The whole place—obviously—still stunk of Sapient and its members, though, there were a lot of scents that were duller, a good indication that the place was, perhaps, not as teeming with life as it had once been. Kamari eventually made her way back around towards the side that the kitchen was on, and, through spatial orientation, was able to deduce where the side door she had seen and told Brocade that she would meet him at would be.

The hallway led past quite a few rooms, though, thankfully, many seemed to have either been vacated, were not in use, or the previous tenant was not there. Kamari arrived at a stairwell, and hid in the darkness that lied beneath it to shift into her Optime form. When she was finished, she rolled the fingers of one of her hands before picking up the knife she had procured and making her way over to the door.

Carefully, she pulled open the door, thankful that it did not announce their intrusion. Peaking out, she couldn’t help but to grin up at Brocade when she found him just outside. “Had to make sure there was nobody home,” she explained in a hushed voice before holding up the knife she had found, “Also got us this in case our presence is not well received.”

At the mention of more Sapiens, her brows knitted together in mild concern. Though she had not found any in her search, it still seemed that Sapient was still quite active in the area. They would need to be on their guard in case any should return during their raid of the Estate that night.

She turned and the pair of them made a more thorough look through the rooms as they moved down the hallway. “I didn’t find anybody downstairs,” she confirmed to his observation. “There’s a library up behind the main staircases up ahead, and some open shop-like room further down that hallway. There may be more stuff upstairs, but, we’d have to be careful.” It wouldn’t be so easy to duck out a window or escape outside from the second story.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 pm

The emptiness of the vast Estate was eery to the soldier. It was evident that this was a place where at one time many luperci had co-existed and called this place home. There were rooms with discarded furs, crooked paintings that lay on crooked walls. He chuffed softly, laughing at the rusty blade that Kamari held in her hand. ”Well done Emissary.“ Considering they had both come upon the empty building unarmed it was a welcome addition to their scouting party – and would come in handy should they encounter anyone wandering the empty halls.

They moved methodically, the shorter jackal checking blind corners and Brocade peeking through banisters that marked their path through the Estate.

”I wonder how long they lived here.” He whispered, stepping into a large room that was bordered in bookshelves. There were broken pieces of furniture, drawers pulled open and long forgotten. He stood for a moment in the centre of it all, breathing deeply the musty scent of a room that had lain still too long. Motes of dust danced between his fingers, and as he slowly crept toward the rows of sagging books he clicked his teeth.

Brocade collected a leather bag that lay strewn across the back of a chair and slung it over his shoulder. He tried to avoid the creaks in the floor and winced as he stepped on a board that groaned under his weight. He cursed softly, and adjusted himself – but found his eyes drawn towards a large cabinet which lay out of the way. There was a piece of canvas cast across its top, the edges of it carved with what had once been ornate vines and flowers.

One of the doors hung askew, and Brocade pushed it open with a careful hand.

Inside were bottles of booze, dusty green and blue pushed together into a dark corner. He tapped a cork with a long claw and chortled to himself, pulling two of the largest bottles and carefully wrapping them in canvas so they would not jostle together against his hip. He attempted to read the titles of the moldy books, but there was nothing he could understand.

He went back to the hallway and skulked to another room. There were shiny baubles and stacks upon stacks of notebooks.

They came together again at the base of a stairway, and Brocade smiled down at the Emissary.

”What’d you find?”

They should have a party when they get back to SL ehehheh

Salsola
The Director
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:27 pm

(+608)

Thanks for the thread!<333

“Probably for quite some time,” she guessed, judging by the amount of repairs they had passed, places where something had sat for a long time before it had been removed, and from the various items still left in the kitchen from which she had come in through. There were things still present in the Estate that hinted at an accumulated growth of goods over something that would have been more than a mere year’s time living within it.

The intruders continued their careful browsing, ever mindful of their surroundings as they trekked through unknown territory. At one point, they split from one another, the Sapienza drawn by in by the library with its many bookshelves. She wondered if the humanized pack had anything like what was rumored to be in the Kingdom’s guarded stores, if they held any relevance that might be of use to Salsola. She quietly perused the many shelves, the books seeming to have been kept in some form of order by a meticulous individual or individuals.

There were quite a few that were beyond her short reach, and there were others that looked to be only kept in the hope that someone might be able to somehow repair them in their dilapidated state. Mold grew in a few places where moisture seemed to frequent, and a few books that Kamari plucked from their orderly number were greatly missing in their pages. On a desk, there were some that appeared to be in a state of being transcribed, books of old that were in the midst of being re-written by Luperci means. It was a marvel to look at, as it was very clear that the pack had a few that cared for its wealth of information.

It was a sight that Kamari was sure the Paladin, Idrieus, would have appreciated.

She continued to look about, her cornflower blue eyes ever searching for books, pages, or journals that might benefit the Kingdom’s knowledge. It took a bit of looking, but, eventually, the Shield Apprentice was able to find a few notable items to take with her; a journal with horrible scrawling, but appeared to be about fighting techniques, another that read about Sapient’s history, a third notated about plants and their medicinal properties, and the last had information on trade in both the area and to and from Portland.

Being of Luperci-make, they were of better condition than the human-written ones, and were fuller and more valuable than some of the other Luperci-written notebooks that were on the same shelf. The journals themselves were relatively light and small—a few looking to only be partially finished or incomplete—which would make taking them back to the Kingdom a relatively easy feat. Kamari gathered her finds within a forgotten blanket of sorts that had been left on the back of an arm chair, tying her pilfered journals into a makeshift shoulder bag.

Kamari headed back out into the main hall, spying Brocade standing before one of the main staircases. She skittered over to him, her eyes roving the upper crossways to ensure that they were still alone and undetected. “A few books that will be of better use for the Kingdom than they will be rotting here,” she answered with a smirk.

She eyed his newly acquired bag and returned the inquiry. Both satisfied with their haul, they escaped the same way they had come into the Estate, skirting the shadows of the world beyond as they made their way back to the safety of the Kingdom; the search for the missing Etoile temporarily forgotten from their minds.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

Dead Topics