ask me in to tea and we can talk things over

[p. Ondine]

POSTED: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Did you remember the tea?" Loki asked suddenly.

"Suddenly" because they were already at their destination, standing outside the blossoming gardens of the Heiwa home. Embla swiveled her head to stare blankly in her grey father's direction. In case that did not impress his foolishness on him, she spoke up blandly. I'm sure the Curandera already has enough tea, Daddy. Despite the Crone's fondness for the various herbal drinks, he was not a cultivator or even a proper healer. Any pinch of plant he brought to Ondine she probably had stock of. And he seemed to realize this, because he scowled – something not lost on Embla as it came through in his voice as he grumbled.

It would have been polite to bring some. It's the principle.

It's too late now, Daddy. Embla suddenly stood straight and smoothed her wavy hair back from her face, collecting herself and smiling prettily. The Seer can hear us whispering, you know. You have a terrible whisper.

Sighing, Loki pushed the square, woven container full of lightly spiced and charred meat – a squirrel and rabbit from his traps – into his daughter's hands. She pretended to fumble with it, and he sighed loudly again when she smirked. Finally, he clapped his hands to announce their presence outside the red damask curtain.

I'm terribly sorry we're late, Ondine–

Daddy forgot to bring the tea! shouted Embla helpfully.

With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
DEAD
Raze
Luperci raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

POSTED: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 pm

--

Ondine had not felt quite so nerve-wrecked as she had of late. Her premonitions were dark, much like they were in her childhood. Was it the Goddess warning her? Or was it just a matter of her anxieties leeching into her thoughts? Whatever the cause, Ondine found little real rest after her sister's angry letter had come in. To top it all off, Victoire had gotten into a fight, a suitor had come for the Seer herself, and then her sister's missive was missing. It was like her head was screwed on backwards and no amount of turning and twisting would make it sit right.

Janik was out, warned ahead of time that the Crone was likely to come and that he ought to go do something to entertain himself. Garsea had gone with him, more so to keep his father company than anything, thought the woman. Victoire, however, was still more or less grounded and kept at home for her egregious behavior with Jaketta.

Victoire was pouting on the bearskin rug, a book at her knees that she was clearly not bothering to read. It was one of her grandmother's old tomes, set as punishment for her rudeness to an Associate. They were supposed to be better, and such violence was supposed to be beneath them.

When Loki's voice - coupled with Embla's - echoed outside her curtain, Ondine hurried to pour the hot water she had boiled into the teapot. The room started to swirl with the smell of dried raspberries, mint, and rosehip. It was a very sweet tea, but it felt like it would still be relatively clean for them to drink on such a day.

Please, come in, Crone, she called, waving at Victoire. She was grinning at Embla's boldness, knowing that Loki was probably already somewhat peeved. The girl had stood up and rolled her eyes as she moved quickly to the door and pulled it open. Her eyes darted right to Embla and the box in her hand. First at the girl, then the box. In that order. Ondine noticed a stiffening of the spine, but was not sure what to make of it.

Bring us something good, uncle? she said as she stood aside with the curtain pushed back, despite the fact that Loki was not really an uncle. Or was he? It was hard to keep track of sometimes.

Ondine Heiwa
But I've been wondering, why can't you see? If the door opens up we go where it leads

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 am

Sweet scents wafted through the curtain, and Embla shot Loki a triumphant look with raised brows and curled whiskers. He sighed at her again, then glanced up as Ondine's voice greeted them, followed by the red-and-white features of Victoire. The Heiwa girl pulled the curtain aside to allow them in, glancing at Embla, who chirped thanks. Ignorant of Victoire's glance, she stepped into the warm abode and held the basket aloft like an offering to the gods; Loki snatched it from her hands and walked to the dining table to place it there.

Good, passable, it's food you didn't have to hunt, Loki joked. The tea smells lovely, Ondine, is that a hint of mint?

Embla nudged her toes into the bearskin rug and folded her knees there, smiling airily at the blurs that were the Seer and her daughter.

Loki glanced at her then clicked his teeth in thought. He knew that his regular gossip with Ondine, if not veiled in polite language and secrets, often included talk he wasn't sure he wanted his innocent daughter hearing. He supposed he could send her away later, though; maybe she and Victoire could play. Brushing a braided lock of hair out of his face, he sighed for the umpteenth time and went right into conversation.

There were a lot of unexpected faces from the outpost this trip. You knew that I am a grandfather, right? The boys look so much like their mothers.

Boys, echoed Embla in a critical tone, shaking her head.

The Crone smirked, then held his smile artifically as he added, Your cousin is back after her... ordeals, too, is she not? He managed to sound casual, almost apologetic; he knew the Heiwas wanted little to do with the woman since her scandalous marriage. Loki would be lying if he claimed it did not bother him either, for the very same reason.

Among others.

With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
DEAD
Raze
Luperci raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

POSTED: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 pm

--

Before Victoire could even so much as reach for the offering of food, Loki swiped it away, carrying it and moving it to the table. He had been a very common fixture in the home, both because of Ondine's parents, and then because of Ondine herself, or so she had hoped. She was the Seer to his Crone, so it was only prudent to maintain a relationship with her superior. That and she genuinely liked the man; he was her uncle in almost every way. He fathered Neith and Electra, so he may as well have been blood.

You know how fond of it I am. And it grows like a weed so there's no reason not to use it. Ondine gave a chuckle as she turned her attention to the tea, happy to be serving a cup to her uncle and offering cups to his daughter. Victoire had no interest usually but there was a glance in her eye that made the mother serve the child a cup, who took it with a pointed look that screamed "don't make a scene about it". Amused, Ondine settled herself into her usual place after pushing a bowl to the man.

Tori, why don't you go see if you can't amuse yourselves with that book you've been reading? she suggested smoothly, adjusting her skirt with a skilled hand, deft as usual. She did not miss what her uncle said though, mostly to distract the two girls from their more adult conversation. Like it as not, they would have to be more veiled than usual.

My, a grandfather, already? I'm impressed, you hardly look old enough, she said with a chortle as she ran her fingers around her own tea bowl. Obviously it was not Embla or the missing son, the one they did not mention. Clearly, they had been busy at the Outpost. What good children of Salsola they were.

She took a drink of tea, brows raising over the mention of Calla. I believe so. She seems to be doing well, though I don't know what ordeals she's undergone exactly. She gave an audible sniff, putting down her drink. Speaking of, we have a new witch in the Kingdom, and she has a daughter with delusions of godliness. Perhaps, you ought to find your way into speaking with her, considering that the Boss has already encountered her, she said, rolling her eyes. Victoire made a rather aggressive first impression with the girl. But I worry that another ambitious newcomer will try to enter our delicate ranks. Another hungry eye, another hungry soul. When would such clear grabbing end?

Ondine Heiwa
But I've been wondering, why can't you see? If the door opens up we go where it leads

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

Dead Topics