i'm numb to the rhythm that guides you

POSTED: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:27 pm

He wondered if perhaps this would now become the cycle of his life. Love, loss, birth, and tradition – over and over and over again. Salsola had risen from its time with their Tiger Queen and now was adjusting to the rule of the new generation. Children were flocking from The Oupost – Rasks, d’Angelos, and newly weaned Eternitys – and Brocade found that his dreams were haunted by star-spangled children with coats the color of storm-cloud.

Sometimes he dreamed of sanguine eyes and it caused him to toss and turn.

He used his work as a distraction – trained harder, patrolled further, initiated trade and played the game.

He exchanged gifts with the Mafiosi and spent time with his sister. He spoke up when it was necessary and ensured that his voice was resolute. He thought of Etoile less and less during his waking hours – and made sure that his body ached when he finally found sleep, whether from drink or from hours in the arena.

Today he worked in the hot sun, spinning the staff between his hands and sliding through his positions. There was a dummy propped up in front of him, and every so often he would thwack it hard from the side – or move as if to strike and pause with careful precision. There were other staffs stacked along the edges of the fenceline, and a long trough of water that he trotted toward to dunk his head.

The icy water trickled down his neck and over his broad shoulders, and for a long moment he leaned there panting – gazing down at his scarred reflection as it rippled and bounced.

For the younguns ;)

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:15 pm

(403)

By nature, Absolution was not a fighter. He was a writer, a wordsmith who could easily dominate any simple causerie were it not for his lack of social grace. He valued the might of the pen over the sword, another difference that put him at odd with his siblings. Jubilee and Solace, while not aggressive people at heart, were certainly more willing to fight should the need arise.

Meanwhile, Absolution saw violence as a last resort, and though he was by no means a pacifist, he believed a lot of problems were more easily solved through words. The majority of people, however, were either too stupid or too lazy to realize this and so it was that most change in the world came as a result of war.

That was what he believed, at least.

But as it were, Absolution knew that sometimes violence was unavoidable. There were those (from both inside and out of the thistle kingdom) who sought to take everything he loved away from him, and for those people alone, he needed to be ready. He needed to know more about combat than his rudimentary skills with a roundel dagger. And so that was why he found the situation he was in—behind a fence lined with training staffs, a man built like a soldier only a few strides away from him—to be particularly advantageous, albeit entirely coincidental.

“Are you trying to drown yourself?” he asked in a sort of morbid jest, knowing the man only submerged his head in the trough of water for relief from the heat. The weather was suffocating for him as well, if not to a greater degree considering his pitch-black coat. In an effort to offset this, Absolution wore a thin, light colored shirt over his trousers, though in the end this only helped so much.

Normally, on days such as this, he would be cooped up in the cool darkness of his tower's parlor room, partaking in a bit of light reading or writing dark romantic verses never-to-be-seen for the woman who had taken over his thoughts. But his mother, cruel as she occasionally was, had sent the boys away from Witch's point for the day, giving neither of them a reason beyond I want to be alone. Were all women so frustratingly enigmatic, he thought as he baked in the sun, unaware of the common ground he had with the man before him.

nothing to fear, nothing to doubt
Salsola
The Confidant
Marcy
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:06 pm

The girl had never felt such freedom. Since joining her siblings in Salsola she had spent every waking moment wandering The Ruins and peering at the majestic individuals that called the place home. Mother had warned her to stay clear of certain families, to mind the border and ensure she was smart, but Symre knew that the warning had been more for her brothers than for herself. Her thick braids hung over her shoulders as she headed toward The Arena – eager to find her Oncle and ask him to explain the ranks again.

Brocade tossed more water over his head, sighing contentedly at the cool trickles that ran over his neck and down his broad chest. He mopped at his chin with his hands and noticed for the first time that dark inky black boy that was traipsing toward him. Absolution was a handsome boy with a thin face and eyes that looked tired in a lazy ‘I’ve already seen this’ sort of way.

”I-“ Brocade had been about to answer him, when instead Symre trotted to the fence – her sanguine eyes large and eager. ”I think his head would need to be beneath the water,” She made a sound in her throat that was akin to a giggle as she clambered the fence, ”Hi Oncle Brocade.” The man’s eyes narrowed slightly and he dragged his hands through his hair, undoing the knot at the nape of his neck so that his hair was out of his face and slicked back between his ears.

"What are you doing here Symre,” He glanced behind her, ”Where are your brothers.”

She was smiling again, a Hyacinth smile – cool, calm, and collected.

”I don’t know.” She dropped from the fence and glanced up at Absolution, ”Are you here to train?” Her lips twitched, "You look like you need it."

YAY THEY MEET

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm

(301)

Once, only a handful of seconds ago, Absolution had felt in control of the situation. It was a small taste of power, catching someone like Brocade off guard. But as with any instance of slight power he felt, it was quickly thwarted by outside forces he could not control. In this case, that force came in the shape of a girl, edges soft but her presence the exact opposite.

He leered at her approach, pointedly ignoring her first remark, and watched the thick braids of her hair shift as she climbed over the fence. Briefly, he noted that she looked vaguely familiar to the whelp who had accosted him in the graveyard weeks earlier. He was quick to come to the conclusion that the two were likely related, perhaps even siblings—it would be too much of a coincidence if it were otherwise.

A part of him, the part that was tired of interacting with such exhausting people, told him to turn around and head back home in the few moments that the uncle and niece pair were distracted by each other. It would have been easy; Absolution was surprisingly light on his feet and rarely did others notice his presence on their own. But alas, by the time he made up his mind, his chance to escape without having to explain himself had passed, and so it was that he remained where he was, a victim of his own making.

Absolution furrowed his brows, the embers of indigence staining his emerald eyes at the girl's snide, unwanted quip. “Riveting commentary, really,” he said, having heard similar things from his siblings many times before. “But I'm afraid that's none of your business. I was talking to your uncle, not you.” He crossed his arms, unwilling to let himself be taunted without consequence.

Salsola
The Confidant
Marcy
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:21 am

Symre took in every angle of him – the inky black fur that covered him from head to toe was perfectly dark, though there was a small tuft of pale fur that crept out from the collar of his tunic. The little Raskdotter decided that perhaps Salsola was not such a strange place after all – for there were children of all ages here, all boys and girls who were eager to grow beneath a crown of thistle thorn. She ignored the way Brocade huffed air through his lips, the way he rolled his eyes and straightened to assess the boy.

He was a boy, and Brocade wondered if he was related to the other cubs that had rallied together from the Outpost. He thought of Solace and quirked his brow, ”Be nice Symre.”

”- but his ‘commentary’-“

Brocade hushed her with a glare, and ignored the indignant lash of her tail when she opened her mouth to speak and he snarled at her.

”How long have you been here-“ He realized he didn’t know the boys name and trailed off, wondering for the first time if perhaps it was a relative of Bane – the once healer who had disappeared to the Outpost with her pale husband. ”I am sorry I do not know your name.” His whiskers twitched, "I am Brocade Valentine, Gaurdian."

Symre was harrumphing, stamping her little feet distractedly in the dust that gathered beneath her feet. ”Are you from a fancy family?”

She sidled closer, ”You look fancy.” Her red-wine eyes narrowed, "I don't remember you from The Outpost."

YAY THEY MEET

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 am

(258)

Absolution felt the girl's eyes upon him, looking him over like he was a piece of fish or game to be eaten. Were the girl any other woman, this would have unnerved him and he would have submitted. But he knew he was older and he could tell she still held the rank of Bambino, a title he had passed over to claim his place among The Family. She was beneath him, technically, and so he was more annoyed than anything else by the way she eyed him.

The older man cut his niece off when she opened her mouth to speak, taking over the conversation like he was supposed to as their superior. He called himself Brocade Valentine, the Guardian of the shield faction. Absolution blinked, a bit stunned at the information revealed to him. “No worries,” he shook his head, “I've only been here for a week or so.” The young man held out his hand in greeting, “Absolution D'Angelo. My mothers are Plague D'Angelo and Quicksilver Lykoi—”

He turned his head to the girl stamping around in the dust, his brows furrowing at her question and the way it interrupted his conversation. His vexation only grew more intense as the girl with the twin braids invaded his personal space, her garnet eyes thinned and staring at him. Absolution took a step back, huffing, “Yes? No? I don't know—my Grandfather is the Crone. Take that as you will and step away from me, please.” This was not a request so much as it was a demand.

Salsola
The Confidant
Marcy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm

The names were familiar - a last name that rung like a bell each time the boy spoke. Brocade ears twitched, and he ignored the curious way that Symre regarded Absolution. Symre watched him like he was a shiny new bauble, and Brocade couldn't help but wonder how many other children she had met that were not her siblings. She made a giggling sound, tugging on one of her long braids with a tiny hand. "Hey! Me too!" She smiled suddenly, "My name is Symre Rask - I never saw you at the Outpost." She narrowed her eyes, canting her head so that she could inspect him further.

She decided a moment later that she found him rather handsome with his dark fur and emerald eyes - but he seemed so quiet, so... broody.

Brocade wiped water from his face with a scarlet scarf he had thrown over his shoulder. He mopped at his brow and ran the fabric down his neck and throat before tossing it over the fence that surrounded The Arena. He made a sound in his throat, "Well met Absolution. Welcome back to your home." He did not recognize the first names of his mothers until Absolution mentioned The Crone. He nodded, watching as Symre circled the boy like a shark.

"Your grandpas The Crone?!" She practically sang, "Does that mean you know magic?" She had taken a step away, but Brocade was sure that it was not as much as the boy had wanted. "One day," She was smiling toothily, "One day my Oncle will be Director - you just wait and see-" Brocade growled softly and rolled his eyes, "Symre give the boy some space. Now." She finally skittered away to the fence - her wine-colored eyes still wide in her pretty face.

He crossed his arms, "Have you chosen a path yet?"

YAY THEY MEET

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
listen to the wild

Salsola