Careful Steps; A Ghost Town has it's Warning

POSTED: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:59 am

[[Foredated August 10th]]

With word of Sapient's territory walls broken down, Ezra found himself curious as to if the pack had left anything behind that might be well worth a look. As Fantasy plodded happily through Gaspesia, her hair tied in tight knows down the roach of her neck, and her tail fastened in a bun, Ezra rode atop her with wide and curious eyes. The great expanse of space was certainly beautiful, albeit trees and trees, but not much else for the eye to see until the forefront of the Estate loomed in the distance.

The pale linen of his shirt billowed in the summer breeze, littered with little drops of summer sprinkles that tapped on the thirst earth. A marbled gaze peered over the charcoal tipped flaxen knots at the paddocks that were slowly being stripped of their wood by those seeking an easy fire. Attention, however, fell to the grand estate that loomed like a specter in the front lawn that was eerily kept for this ghost town. Surely, there were those that still kept themselves here. He would be mindful, certainly, in their time of mourning should they be, but in the chance that Sapient truly was abandoned, the loot would well outweigh the risk.

Lifting himself from Fantasy, he let her free roam for the moment, and made his way to the builidng. One of the windowpanes still held it's boning, despite the glass being shattered. A long nose slipped into sight and eyes peered into the shadow, his sight sunblinded so the poorly lit place seemed obscure,” Hello?” He called. It echoed,” Is anyone here? I don't mean to trespass,” He breathed, just a little quieter.
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Kenai had spent most of the evening last night finishing up her home that she had found for herself and to furnish it was another story. It would take time and effort to supply it with the things she needed, but it would work out well for what she needed. If only she had a horse. Kenai sighed at the fact she didn't think to take a horse when she left. It would have made her travels so much easier. Not that she minded the walking of course. Not wanting to beat herself up on it, Kenai continued walking and decided to explore more expanses than just her home range. She spent enough time doing that and was getting rather sick of it.

Kenai heard of whispers of other packs before; Inferni, Cour des Miracles, Sapient, and Krokar. There were two others that she had heard mention of but she had all but forgotten them now. She would need to hear them a few more times to get them memorized, but one pack made her interested because the pack literally abandoned everything they owned on their packland and disappeared. It seemed Sapient had something happen from within and everyone simply.. up and left. Kenai felt this a perfect opportunity to go in and see what she could salvage. It would save her a lot of time in finishing her home.

But where to begin? She had some direction to Sapient, but everything else she would have to guess at. Follow the well worn trail to a grand estate and stables on the other side. After a while, she did eventually find those and looked on in wonder at the size of the estate and just how much it had declined just by sitting there unused. It was too much of a bounty to not risk. As she walked up the path some more, a horse sat in the paddocks on the other side. A confused and alert expression formed on her face. Someone else was here? Or was it that someone still lived here? Kenai put a paw on her dagger attached to her belt above her right hip and walked to the door. The figure had just poked his head inside and called out to see if anyone else was here. So she wouldn't spook the other Kenai stayed back a bit. "By the looks of this place, I don't think anyone else still lives here." she said in her heavy Scottish accent. Kenai looked around herself as if to be sure.
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aislin

POSTED: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Fantasy's eyes shifted about, glancing and sniffing. The scents were still thick here, and even to Ezra it felt like it was almost a sin to cross that old boundary line, but here they were. Scavenging, like anyone wise would would want. The flaxen mane with lacing of charcoal at it's ends twisted and placed tightly on the roach of her neck moved with her spine as she parted her vision from the lands and onto the soul that approached them. Rather than seek interest in this being, the earthen and ashen hues that covered his pelt, Fantasy offered a small nicker and trotted away from the Estate to the east, across from the clearing and following off to the small storage area was there.

The sound brought Ezra's eyes around, the marbled color of his bright eyes settled on the visitor just as he spoke, sharp and intuitive, but kind. A nod was offered, a small dip of his scruffed chin, though eyes kept reasonably so on the stranger,” So it seems,” Stepping back from the window, he clapped the dirt from his hands. He couldn't help that the accented lilt of the other's voice bringing a small grin to his features. It was welcoming as the memories of such notes were nostalgic,” It appears that they took what they could with them. I would suspect if any of them found a place to keep it safely, they might come back looking for leftovers. It's not my place to take it before them, considering what had happened. Or at least, what I had heard to have happened.”

Propping his arm out from his body, he offered the other a hand to shake should he know the gesture,” My name is Ezra Vahn, Merchant of Amherst,” He claimed. A title that was a dime a dozen, but his wares always stood out from most. Word of mouth had always done him plenty good,” Have you come here to see what's left, as well?
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:35 pm

The horse didn't seem to take too much of a liking of Kenai and trotted off, but perhaps it was because she was a stranger and the horse didn't know her well. Kenai was used to this from previous horses she worked with. Kenai wasn't upset about it at the least. As she watched the horse trot off, she looked upon the stranger with interest as he agreed. She looked at the building as he said they might be back for left overs, but given the amount of dust and dirt on the doors, it seemed unlikely that they might be back, but who knew.

Kenai shrugged and wobbled her head from side to side as an indication of being unsure. This movement of her head was used for other things as a sort of acknowledgement, but not often. "Perhaps. It would seem like they wouldn't let it sit for this long though. What has happened anyhow? Was this a pack before?" Kenai asked as she walked up to the window to look inside. Then the stranger let out his hand in introduction and Kenai quickly turned to meet him.

"I am Kenai Stone of Mistfell Vale. Originally I am from another far off pack land we homesteaded on. Pleasure to meet you." she said with her heavy accent and gripped his hand in a shake. A smile spread across her lips in happiness on meeting someone new. "Where is Amherst? Or is it a pack?" she asked. Kenai wasn't sure if the names of places were pack names or actual places of the land. She supposed if it were a pack that Ezra would have said "pack" at the end of the name. Who knew. When he asked if she was here to see what was left, Kenai nodded.

"Aye, I had seen it a few times in passing but wasn't courageous enough to come look. That was when the scent was stronger, but now it's weakened a lot." Kenai stopped to ponder looking inside again. "Perhaps they will come back, and perhaps not. But if I take anything, I have brought some things in exchange in hopes they would be pleased with trade. I'd hate to steal, but in terms of items I need for living and survival,"[b] Kenai paused. [b]"I would rather use it and prolong my survival than see it sitting going to waste." Kenai was neutral about others possessions, especially if they had left them for this long. Kenai was a little wary of taking others possessions, but if it meant she could get by a little longer without relying on others then she would be just fine with that. The original owners would understand, wouldn't they?
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aislin

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:20 am

Fantasy had put enough space between them and had even thought to pretend to busy herself with sniffing at the storage building while keeping a glacier eye on the woman that neared Ezra. The mare wasn't not aggressive, or abrasive, but silly, if not a little apprehensive when siding with caution. Who wouldn't be after an encounter with Fire and his mount? Warily, she gauged the woman as she approached her rider, watched as she moved and listened to her tone as she spoke. It didn't take long for the mare to become a little more curious with a lack of shady behavior.

“It was,” Words escaped his maw in a breath, his mind wandering through the obscurity of the history of the pack, aside from his dealings directly with their members, and the sour word through merchant tongues that passed by once and a while. He didn't know much about them, though their ways were civilized and their purpose toward intelligence was always entrancing. Of course, there were a few sore thumbs that cropped up like dandelions in a field of wildflowers, but every soul had their purpose. Their leader, by way of information from Tzila, wouldn't get the praise that a leader might warrant, however. The woman was honest enough, and kind. He'd trust her judgement," Sapient claimed these lands, not long ago. A pack of many skills, but a history among some traders to be a little spry in bad deals. It gave them quite a bit of grief, so much so, in fact, that it must have torn them apart."

“Lady Kenai Stone of Mistfell Vale, I'm delighted to meet you,” A curtious, though small bow was offered, his hand pressing his shirt to his chest so it did not billow forward. The Frithr bound on his neck found his chest with the hollow whisper of wood against his flesh and bone as he righted himself,” Mistfell Vale is a fine place, from what I've seen,” He added, having not seen much of the place, but it's air of mystery was stunning enough to enjoy in silent awe.

“Oh, Amherst! It is a fallen city reclaimed by our kind,” He'd forgotten his manners and finished the handshake with directions. Not all were veterans of Nova Scotia's contents, much as he had not been on his long days after arriving here years ago,” Amherst is a town that is Southwest of this place. Beyond Gaspesia and through Fort Cumberland. If you've found mountains or water, you've certainly gone too far,” A hand gestured past the expanse of the clearing behind her, just as Fantasy had decided to make herself more comfortable with her company. The draft mare plodded up carefully and stretched her neck as far as it would go, large nares echoed with the breath from her lungs.

Ezra smiled warmly at the action, and allowed the mare to pester her should she allow it. Her comment of a survival brought attentive ears upward. The merchant was suddenly reminded of how mannerisms weren't much made for neutral lands. It seemed he had forgotten his rougher days of youth. Not only that, but he was just as much in need of tools as was she. Tzila had brought him a fair bit, but if she wasn't here? Well, it was worth a look, either way,” As so, the world goes,” He agreed. There was no sense in standing on ceremony and duking it out for a find. He'd like to think he was a better man than that, but surly that was his age speaking to him,” Well, the two of us might be better off to explore the Estate together? I only have a few items that I truly need and if there are some rouges inside looking for a skirmish, it would be advantageous to have numbers.”

Moving around from the grasses and up the steps of the Estate, he placed a hand on the door. The bolt clacked and the hinges moaned after having slept for longer than they were used to. A quick peek inside found nothing but dust settled on some furniture, and a few frames hung to the wall. Otherwise, eerie silence plagued the place. Opening the door to it's full potential, he offered a gesture to allow her passage first through the entryway,” Ladies first, my friend.”

((I had a character in this pack before it disbanded, if you have any questions about anything placement wise, I can help. XD))
Loners
Dog
Dark
Luperci Jordheim

POSTED: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 am

((Lead the way! Kenai (and me) have no idea what kind of layout is inside.))

"I see. I could understand why they might have left this place in such a condition. Perhaps they were in a hurry to leave to get stable elsewhere? Perhaps emotions made it difficult to return? Such circumstances can leave us... well, off-center." she said unsure of how else to describe it. "My family went through something like that, but not to this extent." Kenai turned to face him as he continued to speak, happy to meet her and explaining he heard a lot of Mistfell Vale. "Yes, from what I have experienced thus far, it is a good pack to be in. There is a lot of different culture I am not used to and the lands have many varieties and sources of opportunity." Kenai smiled with the thought of being able to live off the land like she used to before in her old home. It gave her such comfort to think of these things.

The mare came trotting back over after some time to meet Kenai and figure out who she was since she was being so kind. Kenai was surprised by this and turned to face the mare with a smile. "Hello there." she said softly as she held out a hand for her. Kenai could feel the strong inhales and exhales coming from her nose. The breath was warm with every breath she took. Eventually, Kenai reached in her satchel slowly to hold out a couple small carrots she harvested from her home and offered it to the mare. The mare was well built and seemed to be meant for long distances and companionship. Kenai missed having such a companion and wished that perhaps one day, she would be blessed with her own.

When Ezra explained what Amherst was, Kenai became interested in possibly visiting this place once day. Kenai tried to remember the name in her mind so she wouldn't forget. She did this by saying the name a couple of times silently to herself. She broke out of it when Ezra agreed with her statement on survival and asked if they should go inside together. Kenai nodded in agreement and watched as he opened the door with a very loud creak. It seemed to echo, making Kenai wince slightly, and revealed to the two of them a dark and motionless inside. Kenai placed a hand on a knife she had belted to her hip and prepped it for whatever might be inside. "I'd like to not face rogues either, but if there are any it will be because of the abandoned items inside perhaps." she said stepping inside with Ezra's kind gesture. "Oh, and thank you. For holding the door for me." she said with a wink before disappearing into the darkness.
Kenai Stone

Mistfell Vale
Crowstooth
Aislin

Northern Tides