She plumb fell through the looking glass

And now she can't go back

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:00 pm

For Mel and her Roxstar :D Some PP agreed beforehand. I'm assuming she's having drum practice XD

That racket. What was it? The woman instinctively dropped to the ground, assuming a more quadruped gait as she slunk behind a pile of rubble. She paused for a moment while she considered her options. Should she head for the hills? Should she try to help? She grasped at the strap of her satchel and began tugging absently at frayed threads. Inhale; a conscious reminder. At length, her head poked tentatively over the amorphous grey blob that once formed the cinderblock wall of a small shop. She relinquished her grasp on her unfortuante accessory and one ear flicked in earnest. There was something regular about the clamour; it wasn't spastic like distress or struggle. It was just loud.

She waited. It continued. She waited some more, then finally rose to her full height and squinted purposefully at a structure far in the distance. It seemed to be the source of the commotion. She sidestepped around her impromptu barricade and tiptoed closer. Curiosity killed the cat. A voice that was not quite her own reverberated around in her head. Her nose riggled fiercely as a multitude of scents converged and intensified with each meter she gained. It seemed this place was the regular haunt of a good number of canines, but it lacked the typical boundary markings of a pack.

Confronted with yet another variable to assess, she found herself taking careful stock of her surroundings. Her gaze, like her stride, was not frantic, but methodical and deliberate. Clear path here, broken glass there, wind blowing rougly east. Alright. At last she found herself before the building, ears and nose overwhelmed and eyes straining to discern anything in the dimly lit interior. A strange wave of calm washed over her as she neared the threshold. She cleared her throat softly, then called forcefully enough inside (for how else would anyone hear her?): "Erm... hi?" Here's to satisfaction bringing him back.

form: optime | setting: amherst | time: late afternoon
but tell me, did you sail across the sun?
did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded
& that heaven is overrated?

Loners
Wolf
zero
Luperci
silence like thunder    
       rhythm like rain

POSTED: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Though she no longer lived in the Bar's back room, Roxy was in the building regularly. When she wasn't out exploring, or seeing clients, or sleeping, she was here – socializing, taking her turn behind the counter if Biff or Spud needed to step out, and mostly, playing.

Music was a construct like the games she played to keep herself entertained. The rules were made up, the points didn't really matter, but there was a way to do things in spite of this. Order befitted her in some places, but usually, and most often, Roxy just pounded her drums until she felt good and tired. Sometimes the beat was wild, thunderous, without measure.

Today she had warmed up in such a way, chasing out the majority of patrons who were not used to her level of performace, and had in the process knocked over her tallest cymbal. With noisy complaints, grunting and moaning as if the two foot drop from the “stage” was some insurmountable height, Roxy dropped to the floor around the time she heard someone by the door. Tossing her hair back, the dog approached with her ears pricked. A dark wolf, looking confused, awaited her.

Roxy's tail wagged and she woofed a greeting. Yo what's up? There something goin' on, howler?

POSTED: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Preoccupied as she was, it came as quite a shock when she realized the thunderous sound had been replaced by near perfect silence. Before she could decide if this was merely an unfortunate coincidence or a harbinger of peril, a shadow materialised from the darkness. Without conscious thought, her ears slicked back and her gaze fell to the other woman's feet. The reaction was automatic; whether the other canine's ears were pressed forward simply out of curiosity or with meaningful intent was irrelevant. As the trespasser in this scenario, she wanted to make it abundantly clear she wasn't there to cause issues.

Regardless, she also caught the friendly sweep of the stranger's tail. She remained at ease and her ears tentatively rose to half-mast; at length, she even stole a quick upward glance as the other spoke. Despite Roxy's decidedly not soft-spoken speech, her manner was otherwise casual and relaxed. Ven found herself increasingly puzzled (but far less concerned).

Some things barely registered and she showed no reaction: not to the other's species; not to the constellation of piercings that adorned her head. Her gaze did not linger nor did her eyes bug out in shock or horror. Not even the unplaceable accent was cause for much pause. No, she was more perplexed by the strength of the other's voice and the utter nonreaction to all the preceding chaos that emanated from the building she so nonchalantly dwelled within.

It showed. With a furrowed brow, she found her voice and chose her words carefully. "I wanted to make sure everything was alright," she replied at length. Her tone was even as she continued. "I didn't expect anyone to be around here," she added, then cocked her head quizzically to one side. "If you don't mind my asking, what were you doing in there?" A pause. "And, er, 'howler'?" she wondered, as if the slang only now registered as some potential oddity. Next to everything else, it truly only did just then.

Loners
Wolf
zero
Luperci
silence like thunder    
       rhythm like rain

POSTED: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:22 pm

With a barking, throaty laughter, Roxy brayed and wagged her tail with delight.

Yeah, howler, that's you! You know, awooooooo, her dog's howl was a poor imitation but a lively one, drawing a few glances from inside until they realized she was merely making noise. Being as this was common for Roxy and her kin, no one really minded. Drunks didn't mind much at all, especially when they were getting' good booze. Biff and Spud had made that into an art.

Mostly. Eh, kinda mostly.

You ain't from 'round here, are ya? Well maybe ya are, this is a big place – mountains and woods and shit, Roxy went on, shifting her weight from side to side. Anyways, I like your face, so I'll fill you in. This here, she gestured widely, spreading her fingers. Is my cousin Biff's Bar! It's a real joint, a real solid one, an' we got all sorts of drinks and sometimes food and most importantly, me, Roxy Blackrust. I'm famous, it's not a big deal. What's your name?

POSTED: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Sorry about the wait D:

Roxy was certainly exciteable; Ven couldn't decide if it was contagious, perplexing, or maybe perplexing because it was contagious. She let out a laugh that wasn't quite nervous, but wasn't quite fluid, either. Her tail swung with a more natural rhythm -- bizarre as this whole situation was, she couldn't help but get caught up in Roxy's energy and enthusiasm. She peered curiously at the bar's patrons, the old furniture, and sometimes impromptu drinkware. She didn't allow her gaze to linger, though everybody seemed remarkably indifferent to her presence. Some glanced back with passing curiosity, and she dipped her head in acknowledgement before turning her attention back to her rambunctious host.

"I mean I kinda like howler," she quipped with a good-natured chuckle, "but Venice will do. Well met, Roxy," she concluded. The quiet, formal greeting juxtaposed against Roxy's casual exclamations was something. She wasn't really sure what the dog meant by famous, but there was undoubtedly something captivating about her. She drew attention to herself, and where Ven would typically panic, Roxy seemed to flourish in it. The she-wolf tentatively decided she liked this arrangement; with somebody as magnetic as the pierced canine beside her, hardly anybody would give her the time of day.

Finally, she began to truly relax and settle into the idea of staying at this place a spell. Her shoulders dropped and her stance became less rigid. "Huh, never seen anywhere like this." Her tone was one of awe. "So like, a fixed trade post?" Now the gears were turning. She'd never considered such a thing. It was an intriguing idea. "That's really clever," she blinked, turning excitedly to Roxy. Yes; have a roof over your head, somewhere (guarded) to store inventory, and a location where those that were in want would always know where to look. Business was probably far steadier than that of a travelling merchant. "Can we sit awhile?" she wondered, head tipped to one side. "I have some tools I can barter with, if it suits ya?"

Loners
Wolf
zero
Luperci
silence like thunder    
       rhythm like rain

POSTED: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:00 am

I am also so slow ;-;

Venice, huh? Sounds fancy, I like it, she woofed. Wolves always had weird, complex names. No-Tail was one of them, though he had been coming around less and less. Working on stuff, it sounded like, or something equally melodramatic. Boys were always like that. That's why the bar needed her, because she alone had the rationale and cool-head to maintain in a made-up crisis or whatever.

Besides, she had an audience here. It was what she as an artist craved, more than the easy access to food and booze, added perks as they were.

Roxy lifted her brows as Venice asked about the bar. She shrugged her broad shoulders.

I guess, kinda – but yeah, come in! First drink is always free, you come 'n sit, I'll get you somethin' good. Here, take a seat, she ushered the wolf towards the bar and slipped behind it. The big man serving drinks barely looked in her direction, despite Roxy all but shoving her hip into him when she toddled around to gather drinking bowls and a brown bottle with a cork stuffed in its mouth.

Alright my friend, since you're with me I'll hook you up, she announced with a wink. Roxy popped the cork free and sniffed the hooch to double-check. Then, with flourish, she poured them both a healthy looking double-shot. Once the bottle was put down, Roxy lifted her drink and flashed her teeth in a broad grin. Cheers!

POSTED: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:26 pm

And I am worse D:

What appeared to be an earth-shattering revelation for Venice hardly seemed to faze Roxy at all. Her head spun a bit as the dog carried on, and though she nodded and moved along when prompted, later she wouldn't remember exactly how she found herself seated on a swivelling barstool raising a small, glazed ceramic bowl to toast -- er, well, she wasn't sure what they were toasting, either. It didn't matter. "Santé!" The French rolled smoothly off her tongue, which soon burned with a familiar tingle as she lapped at the liquid. "And thank you," she added with a jovial thump of her tail. She found herself pleasantly surprised by the smoothness of the drink; it was far less astringent than most liquors on the market.

Market. Right. "Are there a lot of set trade posts around here?" she pressed, leaning forward so as not to miss any single detail her hostess might offer. For how nonchalantly Roxy approached the subject, Ven could only figure it was old news around these parts. To someone who lived and breathed the nomadic lifestyle as far back as she could remember, it was revolutionary. There was only genuine curiosity, no resentment or disbelief; her grandfather had his reasons for keeping the small family moving. The scars he carried from his youth bespoke the consequences of war and territorial defence; in his old age, perhaps he'd decided some things were more important than land.

Some of her intensity subsided as she considered this; her ears did not press forward so intently, and she slouched back a bit in her seat. Even though he was gone and she was squarely approaching middle age, his lessons had left a lasting impression. "I, uh, to your point," she began almost shyly, "grew up far west of here, and my folks migrated with the seasons." Roxy's earlier observation was on point. "I feel like a lot of things are done differently around here," she added, trailing off. Again, there was no judgement or despair; there was just a twinge of confusion and something akin to embarrassment.

inset: ©RainFlame

Loners
Wolf
zero
Luperci
silence like thunder    
       rhythm like rain

POSTED: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:25 pm

As much as drinking was a social thing, and something Roxy enjoyed doing, there was a more important role it played. Socializing with strangers could be stressful, and nothing smoothed tensions more than booze. Besides, once people got things out of their system they cooled off. Her brother and Biff were two great examples of two idiots that needed to beat other men senseless for dumb reasons. She suspected it was because they needed friends.

So Roxy, who took her job as a performer seriously, saw opportunity in self-publicity. Mingling with the little people was good.

Roxy came back to sit down, plopping onto the barstool so she could relax. Leaning sideways, she propped herself up on one elbow. Metal jingled with each motion – her clothing was designed to do this, and from the way bits of shining silver flashed in her ears and hair. She was loud in more than just her voice, which seemed unable to stay at an inside level for very long.

I mean, kinda, she shrugged. Like we aren't really like a big thing – my family runs this joint, that guy,” Roxy pointed towards Spud, who continued to ignore her. “He and my cousin own the place. Some of my cousin's friends hang around, but like, we don't sit around swappin' shit all day. I mean, I got a shop right over there, for this kinda stuff, she indicated her ears and belly. And I perform here! Man, sounds super busy, right?

Roxy laughed and lapped at the alcohol.

West, huh? We all came from south-a-heaah, she drawled, wagging her tail. There's a lot of packs 'round here, other howlers like you. Well, some of 'em are dogs. There's some little yappers that run around these parts too. But there's not really anything else like us around, I don't think – but if you trade, you'll find people lookin' for stuff. We get all kinds of stuff, haha!

Dead Topics