wrapped in evergreen

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:15 pm

Symre was toddling her way through the shallow creek as Brocade watched on from the shore line. She had cast aside her tunic and was slapping at the water, grinning as it splashed and sparkled against the smooth stones that dotted the waters path. He had offered to take her to the border in an effort to not only complete a patrol, but also to see if she enjoyed the forest as much as her mother had. If training had been any indication he was concerned that she would ask to be taken home immediately.

Instead she had gleefully touched every tree branch and leaf that they had passed – with question after question after question.

Brocade drank deeply from the skin he had brought with him – though it was not filled with water. The alcohol burned pleasantly on the way down and settled heatedly in his stomach. The heat-wave had come upon them with no warning, and though Brocade worked his schedule around the hottest moments of the day – it was still too warm to do much of anything at all. He lay sprawled like a languid cat against the stones, one of his legs propped up against a hollow log, his head pillowed against a crooked elbow.

Symre was picking up stones now and tossing them so that they splashed loudly – her braids bouncing.

”Whoa did you see that one Oncle Broc?” He heard a spectacularly loud splash and peeled open his golden-coin eyes, ”Oh yeah, definitely.” He yawned lazily, and was startled awake by the drops of water that began to land on his face from somewhere up above.

Symre was waving her wet hands over him, ”You weren’t watching at all.”

She thumped down beside him and he sighed, ”I decided that I like the forest.” He glanced at her as she started plucking leaves and arranging them prettily on the stones. ”You do?” She nodded vigorously, "Oui." She smiled toothily, "You should bring me more."

Just some cuteness

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:45 pm

The Crone and his daughter, too, sought water during this too-hot portion of the afternoon. They planned to spend some time floating in the littoral waters of the lake, the musical plops of splashing stones pricked Embla's ears toward a different route in the forest. She changed direction without warning, her fox at her heels, leaving Loki sighing and belatedly jogging after her.

Following the creek, Embla hopped from soft bank to smooth stone in a seemingly clumsy fashion – clumsy, though she did not once actually slip, for all her waving arms and goofy smile. Jalda hopped with her, then jumped down into the water with a very soft, Look, a shell. She plucked the pebble-sized thing in her mouth, pushed it into Embla's hands as the girl squatted down to the fox's level.

That's a big snail, Embla said, and let the confused creature crawl on her finger. She dropped her hand so it could slither off onto a bent reed, then ruffled Jalda's fur. Then they were back to leaping along the creek like clowns, with Loki smiling and shaking his head behind them. Despite everything the man had been through, his heart glowed to see his daughter play.

Finally, the troupe of silver-tawny canines found the others: Brocade, the Guardian with coin-colored eyes, and a girl somewhat younger than Embla. Embla waved at them theatrically, her fox weaving around her ankles shyly. Oh hello! Was that you I heard splashing?

Guardian Brocade, Loki greeted, more reticent. He cocked a hip, looking the mercenary over with a mischievous smile. He knew little about Brocade – but Brocade was a man, after all. Loki cared little about the affairs of men.

With your feathers and thorns sticking to my hide
Salsola
The Crone
Raze
Luperci Vedetto, Collettore raven & dove
trickster god
two-spirit

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Brocade took another sip from his water skin as Symre stacked flat stones as high as she could, giggling as they teetered over to cascade against one another. She watched them fall and than would start again, her little hands carefully selecting a new set in the hopes that this time they would not fall. He watched her quietly, twitching his ears as she stuck out her tongue with concentration. He thought of Hyacinth and chuffed softly, his expression warming as he thought of his sister.

Symre caught him look at her and glared as she carefully placed a final stone, ”What?”

”Nothing.”

”You can’t look at me like that and not say anything.”

The stones fell and she huffed a sigh, crossing her arms thoughtfully as she inspected her failed work.

”You remind me of your mother is all.”

She furrowed her tiny brows, ”I would have rather you said nothing at all!” She was laughing, and he tugged on one of her braids as the sound of another’s approach drew their attention to the trickling stream. A girl leapt with her fox in front of The Crone – her pale gold eyes star-struck and bright. Symre rose to her feet excitedly, wagging the dark tip of her tail curiously as the girl came upon them.

Symre rocked on her heels, ”Uh, Hi.” She offered a smile and Brocade wondered how it was the girl was shy when she had been so curious of Absolution, ”Yeah that was me.” The little fox wove between the girls legs and Symre suddenly smiled, ”Want to swim?”

Brocade rose chuckling and greeted the silver and gold man with a dip of his head. ”Crone, it is good to see you.”

He could hear Symre behind him, ”Your fox is so cool. Can I pet it?”

He stood alongside him so that they could watch the girls play, "Are you trying to stay cool too?"

Just some cuteness

Salsola
The Guardian
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite Salsola's Top Poster!
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

Salsola